Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 323839404142
Results 2,051 to 2,091 of 2091
    mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I have a set of the new(ish) Gamut Podiums on order. Will update how they fare. My original Podium 1's are still going strong after 4 years. Only 1 rebuild needed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero View Post
    I'd suggest putting down the spreadsheet and scale and going for a ride!
    Bingo! Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

beater
    My Crampons looked just like CharacterZero's. They were ready for a rebuild but I could never be bothered. I just dropped a little lube on the spindle now and then to quiet them down.

I just built a new bike and went with the Crampon Mountain. Rad pedal. I appreciate the slightly wider platform. I would have tried T-Macs just for something different, but my friend had sold his platinum pair. I wasn't stoked on the thicker body anyway, so no drama.

"Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I just did a 3hr ride. Time to get back on that spreadsheet amd scale. Haha.
    I have some xpedo spry's coming today.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonlui View Post
    I just did a 3hr ride. Time to get back on that spreadsheet amd scale. Haha.
    I have some xpedo spry's coming today.

Awesome!
    Jealous as a couple days of DH have my knee swelling and sore. Damnit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I was very locked in with the tmac pedals, i bounce off the crampons on those rough dh sections. Im thinking its the convex so im trying to find something thin and light yet still have some concavity. The xpedo probably has a tiny bit, ill put longer pins to make it more. Next time i wanna try the ht me05 pedals. 280g. Ppl complain about durability but i find all thin pedals arent durable. As long as the spindle doesnt break on me i will buy a new set every year as long as they perform and feel great. I thought the podiums felt pretty nice too. So many choices.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Gone 13 miles today on my new xpedo spry. I like how it feels under my foot. I slipped a pedal a few times. The pins arent that great. Im gonna get some taller pins. For the price its a winner so far.

mtbr member
    Get better shoes. How are you slipping pedals?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I have 5.10's. Ive never slipped on my crampons or tmacs. Once going up hill spinning too fast, and once turning on a dh, kinda slipped sideways. But feels fantastic pedaling.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Actually i did slip on my crampons a few times in the past but not often. Never slipped on my tmacs. I can easily reposition my foot with the expedo but not that easy with the crampons or tmacs. The grub screws really dig in.

mtbr member
    Sounds more like technique. Think about pulling your feet into the pedals, there's potential to slip on climbs but that's just technique putting down power at the right time. Spin to win but some times you need to push a bigger gear to get over the tough ones.

mtbr member
    Those Spry pedals are wimpy. You'll trash them, especially with bad tech slamming rocks with your pedals.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Yeah i agree. Gear can help mask poor technique otherwise I'd rum a pedal with no pins. The uphill one caught me by surprise, it was a quick down ans up ans caught me in the wrong gear.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I like the atlas pedal but ppl are saying its not compatible with next SL crank boots.

Keep on Rockin...
    I like the atlas pedal but ppl are saying its not compatible with next SL crank boots.

That is right.

Otherwise, the Atlas is probably the best in terms of pedal width, and thinness, while still remaining concave. Their pins also have a great feel.

The DMR Vaults are about the same but a bit more convex and thus thicker, but still not too thick.

The Crampons have a different feel. They are concave and have sharp little pins, and are not as wide as the other two. Their big plus is how low profile they are, so if rock strikes and clearance tend to be an issue, they are great - except I think this narrow, sharp, little pins might end up being an issue.

I run 5/10 Impacts.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Crampons are convex.
    Very surprised race face would make a pedal which doesnt fit their crank. Hoping they will have a fix. Different boot design seems like it might work

mtbr member
    Just modify the crank boot open it up to fit the pedal interface. The boots are cheap.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Not enough material there to open up. If you enlarge the opening the boot wont stay on. I think you can get s longrr spindle now. Maybe the dmr vaults would be a good alternative. Maybe interbike will review something juicy

squish, squish in da fish
    miker j, opposite day was yersterday. duhy

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    How are these going? Tempted to try a pair of the composite version..

Quote Originally Posted by 950sm07 View Post
    Just awesome... Big platform, not heavy, good grip, slim enough, little bit concave, rebuild kit is available so what not to like?

Attachment 1089953

Attachment 1089954

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    How do you like the Mountains? I'm a smaller rider (150 lbs, size 9 feet but overpronate), and I'm torn between the Mountains and Ultimates.

mtbr member
    ^^ I would go with the Ultimates. I'm not a fan of larger platform pedals unless you have bigger feet. I'm size 9 like you and LOVE my Ultimates. Also, FWIW, I really didn't understand how convex pedals can grip when every other pedal is concave... well let's just say I'm a firm believer now and every other pedal maker is just flat out doing it wrong!!!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Im the opposite. I went from convex ultimates to concave which feels a lot better to me. I like that the ultimates are thin though and light.

mtbr member
    ^^ I think foot placement is key and I'll bet you ride with the balls of your feet over the spindles right? Concave works better for that but convex works better for BMX style foot placement with the spindle more centered on the foot (actually much more control for DH and jumps whereas the other way is better for XC/Trail and climbing power).

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

meow, meow.
    *still thinks platform curvature is pedal thickness dependent, as thinner pedals have platforms more centered over the axles, and thicker pedals have them more offset ahead of axles*
    26" rigid SS 4130 BB7 nylon-flats ESI latex-tubes non-lubricated-8spd

mtbr member
    I've managed to wear my Ultimates out in around 18 months, in need of a rebuild. While I really like their thinness grip and feel, I'm less impressed with the longevity of the bushes. The Mountains do look like they address this, but I think I'm going to give the Vaults a try next to compare convex with concave at the expense of a few mm's extra chunk on the pedals edges.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    ^^ I think foot placement is key and I'll bet you ride with the balls of your feet over the spindles right? Concave works better for that but convex works better for BMX style foot placement with the spindle more centered on the foot (actually much more control for DH and jumps whereas the other way is better for XC/Trail and climbing power).

Have FUN!

G MAN
    Yes. Youre right. Most of the time im on the balls of my feet. On descents im more centered.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    FWIW I just slammed my left Nukeproof Neutron pedal into an embedded rock at 25mph today. The cro-mo spindle is perfectly straight and honestly just looks like nothing happened at all. Unfortunately it ripped the threads out of my SLX crank arm in the process. The impact was hard enough that it threw me in the air (but not off the bike) and my chain managed to wrap itself around the right pedal while my right foot was off flailing around. Which also twisted a link in my chain.

Now I need a new crank and a new chain. At least my pedal is still straight .

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Wow. Almost sounds like it might have been better if the spindle broke off instead

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Awesome info, I have been looking at a new pair of flats for my most recent "spare" bike. Been using Flatboys for a few years now and looking for something less bulky - they are a heavy dinosaur but boy do they take a beating.
    Fresh Active Apparel at dyrtgear.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fajita Dave View Post
    FWIW I just slammed my left Nukeproof Neutron pedal into an embedded rock at 25mph today. The cro-mo spindle is perfectly straight and honestly just looks like nothing happened at all. Unfortunately it ripped the threads out of my SLX crank arm in the process. The impact was hard enough that it threw me in the air (but not off the bike) and my chain managed to wrap itself around the right pedal while my right foot was off flailing around. Which also twisted a link in my chain.

Now I need a new crank and a new chain. At least my pedal is still straight .

Haha yes i've had a couple pairs of neutrons for a few years now ****ing so much $/value/performance in that pedal.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Wow. Almost sounds like it might have been better if the spindle broke off instead

It definitely would have been cheaper! Just ordered a new crank and chain on CRC for $140.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post

Have FUN!

G MAN
    This. I rode clipless for 15+ years with the cleat jammed back as far as it would go. The switch to Crampons was a revelation for me. I doubt I'll ever go back, even for purely XC riding.

mtbr member
    Well, I pulled the trigger on a set of Crampon Mountains to replace my 30 day old, working perfectly Spank Oozys..... I'll update with another post after I ride later today, but so far, me likey.

Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-1-min.jpg
    Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-3-min.jpg
    Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-4-min.jpg
    Last edited by D Bone; 1 Week Ago at 02:06 PM.

mtbr member
    OK, I just did my usual 12 mile loop on the Crampon Mountains (CM) and am absolutely stoked with them. When I first set my 5.10 FreeRiders on them, they felt different than the Oozys, as it felt like I was standing right on top of the axle.

That sensation lasted for 15-25 minutes into the ride, and before I knew it, they felt 'normal'...... Kind of like when I first installed my WolfTooth Oval 30T. It felt different/strange at first, but then quickly turned back into normal again.

I currently am running in the stock pin config with no center pin installed and the CMs have even more bite than the Oozys. The extra width of the CMs vs the Oozys is very much appreciated as well.

I like my feet to sit off of the crank arm face more than some (I've never had any shoe rub on any crank arm in my life) and as you can see from the comparison pics, the CMs allow me to place my foot naturally in the sweet spot, whereas the Oozys needed me to 'force' my foot further away from the crank which always left my foot hanging over the end of the pedal, and I could feel it and it annoyed me. With the CMs, my foot is supported from inside to outside and it feels great.

They weighed 404g on my scale compared to the Oozys 371g. I may try the center pin just out of curiosity only. These are my first Canfield Bros product and couldn't be happier.

I ordered them on Wednesday afternoon and received them Saturday morning. I never received an email confirmation of my order other than my Paypal receipt, so I called CB on Thursday and I got right through to a human, who then asked for my name and said "Oh hey D, your black CM pedals (remembered what I ordered by my name) went out yesterday and we sent you a tracking email, but let me send it again". Which he did as we were talking........ Very cool!

I'll update this thread if any durability issues arise, so think no news is good news.

Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-5-min.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I just ordered Deity T mac pedals in silver

Any disadvantage to this finish - color ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I've had tmacs. Great feeling pedals. Bit thick and heavy feels good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by D Bone View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5-min.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	1094907
    Well, my Crampon Mountains didn't work for me and are now up for sale here in the classified section......... Check it out before they're gone.

mtbr member
    Well, my Crampon Mountains didn't work for me and are now up for sale here in the classified section......... Check it out before they're gone.
    Concave vs convex thing?

***** lurker
    May I ask what didn't work out? It sounded like you were impressed initially...
    I almost bought the Mountains, but ended up getting the Crampon Mag's.
    First maiden ride on 'em last weekend & they were great... way better than the 1st generation Crampons they replaced.

2017 Specialized Turbo Levo Comp
    2015 Motobecane Sturgis Bullet

2012 Canfield Jedi
    2011 Giant Reign 2
    2011 Raleigh Renevio 1.0

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cerebroside View Post
    Concave vs convex thing?
    Yup. I have Morton's Neuroma in my right foot, which is a nerve issue that forces me to ride on the ball of my foot, and having all my weight focused on the axle just killed my foot 40 minutes into the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by cfanto View Post
    May I ask what didn't work out? It sounded like you were impressed initially...
    I almost bought the Mountains, but ended up getting the Crampon Mag's.
    First maiden ride on 'em last weekend & they were great... way better than the 1st generation Crampons they replaced.
    See above.

Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 323839404142