Page 42 of 62 FirstFirst ... 32 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 52 ... LastLast
Results 1,026 to 1,050 of 1541
    mtbr member
    Bought some Crampon Ultimates. Will be here with brown Santa (Cupid?) on Thusday.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29

mtbr member
    I've my DX for 5 years now, without any maintenance, very happy and lucky. Everything changed on 2 bikes, except those pedals.

sandbagger
    Quote Originally Posted by scvkurt03 View Post
    Bought some Crampon Ultimates. Will be here with brown Santa (Cupid?) on Thusday.
    You will love them
    V10.5 with Dorado pro and Vivid Air
    TWOSIXBIKES DJ prototype
    Www.twosixbikes.com
    www.facebook.com/twosixbikes

mtbr member
    I switched from the ultimates back to my vaults and while the pedal dimension is just a few millimeters bigger it makes all the difference. Love 'em

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Love my hopes

mtbr member
    Just replaced my Shimano Saint Pedals with the Canfield Crampon ultimate, definitely a lot more grip!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CoppellStereo View Post
    Just replaced my Shimano Saint Pedals with the Canfield Crampon ultimate, definitely a lot more grip!

Nice match on the blue!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy View Post
    Nice match on the blue!
    Thanks! I had a hard time picking the color but it's almost an exact match!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Hi!

I have just registered and today is my first post! First of all, I would like to say I'm pleased for taking part in this forum, I think there is a lot of rich information. The second, I write from Málaga (Spain) so I apologize for my English level, it is not very good...

Well, let's talk about bikes... I have a question related to this matter. I admit that I have not read the 42 pages because sincerely there are a lot of words I don't unterstand because of the language, so I will directly explain my doubt: next week, I am going to buy a new bike (Ibis Mojo HD) and I would like to use flat pedals. I have never used this kind of pedals and these days I have been searching on the Internet information and I have choosen three options (not neccesary in this order): Point One Racing Podium, Canfield Crampon Ultimate or Spank Spike pedals.

As you can say, I prefer thin and light pedals and I think that these three options are the best.

According to your experience and knowledge (I'm sure that better than mine), which option is the best for you?

To help you, I'm going to say that I give priority to grip and efficiency, because relative to phisical characteristics, the three options are very similar (thinness and lightness).

Thank you very much!
    Last edited by Lobanovskyy; 01-30-2013 at 01:58 PM.

mtbr member

Re: Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...

I've heard lots of good things about the spank spikes.

"So I'm packing my bag for the misty mountain.."

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobanovskyy View Post
    Hi!

I have just registered and today is my first post! First of all, I would like to say I'm pleased for taking part in this forum, I think there is a lot of rich information. The second, I write from Málaga (Spain) so I apologize for my English level, it is not very good...

Well, let's talk about bikes... I have a question related to this matter. I admit that I have not read the 42 pages because sincerely there are a lot of words I don't unterstand because of the language, so I will directly explain my doubt: next week, I am going to buy a new bike (Ibis Mojo HD) and I would like to use flat pedals. I have never used this kind of pedals and these days I have been searching on the Internet information and I have choosen three options (not neccesary in this order): Point One Racing Podium, Canfield Crampon Ultimate or Spank Spike pedals.

As you can say, I prefer thin and light pedals and I think that these three options are the best.

According to your experience and knowledge (I'm sure that better than mine), which option is the best for you?

To help you, I'm going to say that I give priority to grip and efficiency, because relative to phisical characteristics, the three options are very similar (thinness and lightness).

Thank you very much!
    Just be sure that you pickup a good pair of shoes along with your new pedal purchase. Five Tens have incredible grip and have never let me down. Paired up with my Deity Decoy pedals... awesome!!

mtbr member

Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...

Quote Originally Posted by cgjeff View Post
    Just be sure that you pickup a good pair of shoes along with your new pedal purchase. Five Tens have incredible grip and have never let me down. Paired up with my Deity Decoy pedals... awesome!!
    Absolutely loved the grip on my decoys, but had twice as many pedal strikes as on my VP Vice, which didn't grip as well. Sold the VP's, kept the Decoys for a rainy day, bought some Crampon Ultimates that I've yet to put on the dirt due to another issue with my bike. I've read much about the grip of the CUs and the thin profile suggests fewer strikes so I'm hoping I have the best of both worlds. Also using 510 Freeriders, which felt clunky and weird when I first tried them on. They're like second skin now, since they've become just a bit more flexible, and they grip like crazy.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

mtbr member

Welcome Lobanovskyy,

I believe the 3 pedals you picked are all good choices. I have Spank Spikes on my trail bike and Crampons on my DH bike so I have had quite a bit of experience with both of those. Although the platform size is very similar on both pedals (about 4"x4") the Crampons just feel like a bigger pedal for some reason. Probably because the pins that come with the Crampons are so much taller your foot DOES NOT move at all once planted.

The Spanks also provide very good grip and have a couple extra pins towards the center of the platform which I like but my foot doesn't feel as planted as the Crampons do, but that is not necessarily a bad thing because I like to ride a lot of slow technical stuff and obstacles that I need to pull my foot off more often. It is also easier to change foot position on the Spanks without having to pick your foot all the way off the pedal. So for this type of riding I prefer the Spanks. The Spanks have also taken quite a beating (see pic on post #946) and are still rock solid with no signs of play or bearing fatigue.

On my DH bike I like my feet as securely planted as possible so I prefer the bigger feel and more solid grip of the Crampons. However, because the Crampons are so thin there is quite a bit of exposed axle which I could see a potential for some squeaky shoes on long climbs, but that is not an issue for me on the DH bike.

I do not have any experience with the Podiums, but I have heard good things so that is all I can comment on those.

Like other have mentioned, a good pair of flat pedal specific shoes is the key to getting the most out of your pedal. I thought I had good grip with my skate shoes but just got a pair of 5.10 Freeriders and now I know what real grip feels like - amazing.

Good luck with your decision - I'm pretty sure you will be happy with any of those pedals you narrowed your search down to.

mtbr member
    Hi!

Thank you very much!

I think the Canfield Brother Crampon Ultimate would be the pedal for you! Thin and light as well as very durable!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CoppellStereo View Post
    I think the Canfield Brother Crampon Ultimate would be the pedal for you! Thin and light as well as very durable!
    A bit premature no? How long have you been riding on them?

mtbr member

Re: Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...

Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    A bit premature no? How long have you been riding on them?
    Only a few times, I guess durable was a bad word choice, very well made is what I was going for, I can't attest to durability yet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Thank you very much for your quick answers!

According to the shoes, I have read in forums that 5.10 shoes are the best for flat pedals and I don't doubt that it is true. The problem is I don't like their desings, I find them a bit tacky (it's only my opinion).

The shoes I have choosen are Vans X Colony Wylie. I'm not sure but I think they are pointed to BMX style so I don't know how they "works" with flat pedals in all mountain style...

Have somebody use these shoes?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thank you very much for your quick answers!

According to the shoes, I have read in forums that 5.10 shoes are the best for flat pedals and I don't doubt that it is true. The problem is I don't like their desings, I find them a bit tacky (it's only my opinion).

The shoes I have choosen are Vans X Colony Wylie. I'm not sure but I think they are pointed to BMX style so I don't know how they "works" with flat pedals in all mountain style...

Have somebody use these shoes?

Thanks.
    Tacky shoes look & feel better than shinburger legs.

I know, everyday is a fashion day on the bike!

mtbr member
    I am confused with the information I am reading because it seems that the Crampon Ultimate's main disadvantage is the "squeaky problems", but I don't understand it if we compare these pedals with Spank Spike one. Apparently, both models have the same desing, haven't they? So, if Crampon Ultimate are squeaky, Spank Spike would have the same problem...

Concerning to Podium, are there any more opinions?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I LOVE my Podiums, they really are fantastic. Light-weight, durable, sticky, sturdy STEEL pins, bearings throughout (no DU bushings), and just general awesomeness.

mtbr member

I am confused with the information I am reading because it seems that the Crampon Ultimate's main disadvantage is the "squeaky problems", but I don't understand it if we compare these pedals with Spank Spike one. Apparently, both models have the same desing, haven't they? So, if Crampon Ultimate are squeaky, Spank Spike would have the same problem...

Concerning to Podium, are there any more opinions?

Thanks!
    I think people aren't differentiating between the Crampon Classic and the Crampon Ultimates. The Classic has the exposed spindle and had squeak issues. The Ultimates are a different design and, like the Spikes, don't squeak.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

mtbr member
    Well, to sum up, I would like to make a survey in order to know wich option is the most popular for you. So, if you don't mind, I would like that you post with one of the three options of pedals that I mentioned before (Point One Racing Podium, Canfield Crampon Ultimate or Spank Spike).

Thank you very much for your help and collaboration!

mtbr member

Well, to sum up, I would like to make a survey in order to know wich option is the most popular for you. So, if you don't mind, I would like that you post with one of the three options of pedals that I mentioned before (Point One Racing Podium, Canfield Crampon Ultimate or Spank Spike).

Thank you very much for your help and collaboration!
    I doubt you'll find your survey to be conclusive. Those 3 are probably the most popular pedals when it comes to expensive, well made, thin flats. In my research on the topic, there's not much that separates the 3, but for price.

That said, I went with the Ultimates. They're the thinnest, they stick like glue, and Canfield is known for great customer service, should something go wrong.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scvkurt03 View Post
    I doubt you'll find your survey to be conclusive. Those 3 are probably the most popular pedals when it comes to expensive, well made, thin flats. In my research on the topic, there's not much that separates the 3, but for price.

That said, I went with the Ultimates. They're the thinnest, they stick like glue, and Canfield is known for great service, should something go wrong.
    Ok, then, 1 point for Crampon Ultimate!

Thanks, scvkurt03.

mtbr member
    The Canfield Brothers Crampon Ultimates are sweet..
    using them with 5/10 Impact shoes

Page 42 of 62 FirstFirst ... 32 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 52 ... LastLast