Page 41 of 42 FirstFirst ... 31373839404142 LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,050 of 2069
    Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by laxman2001 View Post
    I tried 'em, was not thrilled. I'm sure some people really liked them but I'm much happier on my Crampons.
    Hey Mr. laxman,

If these were as thin as the Crampons I'd be very excited to try them. As it stands....not so much! I say all that because the Crampons work so well for me!!

Thanks,

Michael
    If you can't keep the rubber side down......at least smile for the camera!

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I have both the crampon ultimate and tmac. The latter is better in terms of quality and feel but the former is nice and light. The crampon developed too much play in a short amount of time, I need to learn to rebuild it. Both pedals are expensive and have their short comings. I'd expect $200 pedals to not have bushings and be light weight and last longer than 1yr. The tmac is large and when you do hit something it deflects nicely. The large platform is substantial and has the bling factor. It feels nice when you push "into" the pedals on descents. A few times when your feet comes off and you try to grab whatever you can the tmac has my back. The crampons are amazingly thin. I'd say it's the choice for ppl who are sensitive to weight and don't have very large feet. I liked the concavity just a little more. The pins on the tmac are bigger and more robust. Pins break too easy on the crampon and two holes have been damaged to the point where the pins don't stay snug. Probably can be fixed with extra locktite. I guess the price to pay for having light pedals.

Just some feedback based on a few months of use on each pedal. Overall tmac is great for jumps, drops, burns, descents, basically anytime when you're off your saddle and want to be in the pedal. The crampon is great for more pedally excursions and climbs. Basically when you want to shave some weight and have a good enough flat pedal which does everything well but not great. I can see crampons for XC and trail. Tmac for trail, free ride, dh. These are just my opinions based on my skill set and course.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Oh btw. I bought xtr spd and 2fo clip lites. Used them 3 times and they just collect dust. I think the spd is a great secure feeling pedal but I've found that I fell too much on techy climbs. The crampons where lighter also if you take into account the weight of the cleats. Too often I hit a soft corner and I have to put my foot down quickly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I can't imagine changing from my Crampons. Like my Merrill Footgloves. I just like the low profile connection under my feet.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonlui View Post
    I have both the crampon ultimate and tmac. The latter is better in terms of quality and feel but the former is nice and light. The crampon developed too much play in a short amount of time, I need to learn to rebuild it. Both pedals are expensive and have their short comings. I'd expect $200 pedals to not have bushings and be light weight and last longer than 1yr. The tmac is large and when you do hit something it deflects nicely. The large platform is substantial and has the bling factor. It feels nice when you push "into" the pedals on descents. A few times when your feet comes off and you try to grab whatever you can the tmac has my back. The crampons are amazingly thin. I'd say it's the choice for ppl who are sensitive to weight and don't have very large feet. I liked the concavity just a little more. The pins on the tmac are bigger and more robust. Pins break too easy on the crampon and two holes have been damaged to the point where the pins don't stay snug. Probably can be fixed with extra locktite. I guess the price to pay for having light pedals.

Just some feedback based on a few months of use on each pedal. Overall tmac is great for jumps, drops, burns, descents, basically anytime when you're off your saddle and want to be in the pedal. The crampon is great for more pedally excursions and climbs. Basically when you want to shave some weight and have a good enough flat pedal which does everything well but not great. I can see crampons for XC and trail. Tmac for trail, free ride, dh. These are just my opinions based on my skill set and course.

which one for more technical trails ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I guess it depends. Crampons are thin and smaller and will have less pedal strikes but if it's a tech descent I feel that I am more secure on the tmac.

mtbr member
    I guess it depends. Crampons are thin and smaller and will have less pedal strikes but if it's a tech descent I feel that I am more secure on the tmac.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm trying to decide between tmacs and vaults.

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by NWS View Post
    I like the idea behind that pedal a lot, but I'm suspicious about it having no pins in/around the center. I had a set of HT pedals (forgot the model #) that lost a lot of grip after the last center pin sheared off. Still usable, but not nearly as sticky.
    It just occurred to me that with the Catalyst pedals, the middle of the pedal is under the arch of your foot... so pins in the middle wouldn't be very useful. Your weight will be closer to your toes and heels, which are closer to the ends of the pedal, which is where the pins are... Might try a set after all.

mtbr member
    Anyone got time on the nukeproof horizon comp? Saw one set out on the trails and guy loved them. Big, cheap, light,seem like they could work well

mtbr member
    I see the race face atlas pedals are narrower on one end...how do these feel under the foot , is it noticeable ?

Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-max_top_947910.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by johnD View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. I'm trying to decide between tmacs and vaults.
    Did you end up deciding between these two? I'm in a similar boat and these seem like some of the best options right now, just tough to decide between them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoose View Post
    Did you end up deciding between these two? I'm in a similar boat and these seem like some of the best options right now, just tough to decide between them.
    I'm checking into these.

Rivera Pedal - Kore Components

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by johnD View Post
    I see the race face atlas pedals are narrower on one end...how do these feel under the foot , is it noticeable ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	max_Top_947910.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	1078943
    I have the Atlas and Vault Mags.

Both are awesome.

Some days I like the one better than the other, but prob, just maybe, I like the platform feel of the Atlas a hair better. A very thin hair, like a red one, if you know what I mean.

Speaking of red, the color on the Atlas pedals are very cool.

Biggest problem with the Atlas is it won't fit over crank boots. Bought my DH rig stock and it came with silly carbon cranks.

mtbr member
    Am I the only one on this thread that has his/hers 5-10 FreeRiders squeak when pedaling on flats?

I chased this annoying squeak for weeks until I finally figured out what it was...... at least every single bearing/interface of my bike is now lubed and torqued.

I ride with Spank Oozys and my FRs are dead silent when new, but after a couple of hundred miles and once there are pin placement holes in the shoe's tread, the squeak with every stroke.

I thought it was the Spank's design that has the axle retaining bolt open and spinning on the end, but they squeaked on Chromag contacts too.

I just bought some Giro jackets (for about 1/2 the price of 5 10s) in hopes that they don't squeak once broken in.

.................. only squeakin' I want is my bed.................

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by D Bone View Post
    Am I the only one on this thread that has his/hers 5-10 FreeRiders squeak when pedaling on flats?

I chased this annoying squeak for weeks until I finally figured out what it was...... at least every single bearing/interface of my bike is now lubed and torqued.

I ride with Spank Oozys and my FRs are dead silent when new, but after a couple of hundred miles and once there are pin placement holes in the shoe's tread, the squeak with every stroke.

I thought it was the Spank's design that has the axle retaining bolt open and spinning on the end, but they squeaked on Chromag contacts too.

I just bought some Giro jackets (for about 1/2 the price of 5 10s) in hopes that they don't squeak once broken in.

.................. only squeakin' I want is my bed.................
    My shift cable broke a ride or two ago, and my left pedal was squeaking (Oozy with Freeriders). I assumed it was the pedal, but it was only squeaking when I was standing and hammering, struggling to make it up climbs. And it didn't squeak at all when I replaced my front rotor and was beding it in while wearing sandals even while standing and hammering, so maybe it is the shoe...

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    2014 Devinci Troy Carbon XP

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    The squeaking is likely the exposed outside nut/collar rotating against the shoe sole. I get the same thing sometimes with my HT ae01's

mtbr member
    My chromag scarabs rubbed on my crank boots causing squeaking

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I put Origin8 Slimline pedals on my go-to bike last week, rode them for a few hours, and I'm pretty happy with them. Good grip, thin, light, moderately priced ($64 shipped from Amazon), and no drawbacks that I can see so far.

After putting 26" wheels on a 27.5" frame I've been getting more strikes than before, so over the next few weeks I expect to see how they hold up to some abuse. I'm sure they won't hold up like the Hope F20s on my DH bike, but these are 1/2 the price and 3/4 the weight and this bike doesn't see a lot of rocky terrain.

Their pic doesn't really do justice how thin they are, I was surprised when I get them out of the box.

Name:  51xYZhgfvZL.jpg
Views: 739
Size:  33.5 KB

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Long term canfield crampon magnesium review:

Mine developed a ton of play and have been pretty much changed to a raw mag color from being bashed on so many rocks, repainted them then that coat got scrapped off too. A few pins are bent and snapped off as well. They are super easy to rebuild, the only non standard tool you need is a 1/2in thread tap to pull the bushing out. After rebuilding them they are completely silent again, and ride like new. If yours have developed play and make a ton of clanking noises if you drop your bike or are rolling it around, time for a rebuild. They have a video guide online and the rebuild kits are pretty cheap.

Would rate them 9.7/10. (Would get a 10/10 if the platform was slightly larger).

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    What competes directly with crampon magnesium in the light and thin pedal space? Something a little longer front to back would be nice. Pedals are so expensive, the margin must be very high.

I miss f88
    What competes directly with crampon magnesium in the light and thin pedal space? Something a little longer front to back would be nice. Pedals are so expensive, the margin must be very high.

On a contribution margin basis, sure. But it's not like crampons are a high volume product. Highly doubt you Canfield is screwing us all or anything like that. The outdoor sports industry is in general an incredibly competitive, low margin business.
    WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

mtbr member
    May 2004

Good job! Canfield Crampons are the only way to go

Quote Originally Posted by flymybike View Post
    Pictures!!!!
    Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-lrm_export_20160727_073856.jpg

I've put these through the ringer...years of AM/FR/DH use with rock strikes, crashes and the like...they've been there, problem free forever.
    The rebuild a couple of months back has given them new life, hard to think they lasted so many years before a simple rebuild!

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    12 runs today with my 5:10 impacts and nrg pedals. Not once did my feet slip. And I have the unbarked unprotected shins to prove it lol

Sent from my iPhone while my Heli plays with the gophers

meow, meow.
    Bought a pair of DMR V6 on occasion, they look really comfortable.. thin enough for a fat axle pedal, large area, concave shape that's a parallelogram from the side. guess I'll put them on to try before Odyssey Twisted PCs.

It says they run on 2 DU bushings each. I removed the cap on one, it looks non-serviceable inside -- the "nut" on the end of threaded axle is non-standard, it has no visible features for a socket to lock against.
    26" rigid SS 4130 BB7 nylon-flats ESI latex-tubes non-lubricated-8spd

Perpetual Hack
    For anybody interested in the new Gamut (Point-1) Podium for a killer price.

MSRP = 170.00 us$

Gamut Podium Pedals - Ubyk

Did the math, shipped to Canukistan = 145.00 Canadian $.

That is about 110.00 us$
    A Dirtbag since 1969
    A Knomer since 2007

Knolly Podium
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Endorphin

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    91 lbs isnt bad. Do they ship to the usa?

Perpetual Hack
    Yup.
    You also need to take 19% VAT off of that price.

so 74.98 pound

Shipping to "The rest of the world option" will be 7.99 pound.

So in total 82.97 pound or 109.99 US$ shipped.
    A Dirtbag since 1969
    A Knomer since 2007

Knolly Podium
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Endorphin

Life Is Short
    Raceface Chesters
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-img_20160725_235320.jpg  

Ride More, Eat More

meow, meow.
    Wow you're still running a HS there!

Aren't Chesters overpriced for what they are though?

mtbr member
    Are those XC tyres?

Quote Originally Posted by J. Random Psycho View Post
    Wow you're still running a HS there!

Aren't Chesters overpriced for what they are though?
    Raceface stuff is cheaper if you get it in Canada, because IME the Canadian MSRP is usually 1:1 with the US MSRP despite the dollar being 0.77:1.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I'm looking for a small pedal for my girlfriend her feet is size 5. What would you recommend?

meow, meow.
    Straitline AMP? Very simple to rebuild and they look pretty too. But the scars they leave with stock pins aren't pretty at all. Pins are M4x0.7 threaded though, so duller, aluminum pins are easy to find.

No Clue Crew
    Oooooooooohhhhhhhhh...

Who's gonna be the first to try the new, larger, Crampon Mountain pedals?

Canfield Brothers Crampon Ultimate Pedals. Thinnest platforms on the market.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Not at 400 grams

beater
    9 grams lighter than TMACs.

I have a pair in my cart right now... Itchy finger.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I like the tmacs more. Its substantial and feels better under my foot. I sold it and back on my crampons atm. Ill probably pick up another tmac on black friday

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Im only a size 10 shoe. That may be why. Crampon ultimates mighy feel small on ppl with larger feet.

beater
    Im only a size 10 shoe. That may be why. Crampon ultimates mighy feel small on ppl with larger feet.

Dimensions on the new Canfields are a touch larger. I usually find myself on the outboard edge of my Ultimates, so this is a welcome update. The TMACs look really thick for a trail pedal, and convex makes more sense than concave to me.

I'm building a silver 5.5c, and my friend has speced a pair of platinum TMACs. I'll try them out. But I think I'm also going to need a pair of the new Canfields in turquoise to match the hubs, and I can see which I prefer...
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    What about the HT ME03? They seem pretty nice and light, or the Gamut Podium at 300g. I haven't tried any of these yet.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    What about the HT ME03? They seem pretty nice and light, or the Gamut Podium at 300g. I haven't tried any of these yet.
    Id just buy the Canfield Ultimates and be done

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I already own the ultimates. I like them but I miss the deep concave feeling of the tmacs which provides a better pedal feel. I'm looking at the ME05T's. They are slightly smaller than the ultimates and a little bit thicker but is suppose to have a deeper concave shape. I'm right on the border of their weight limit but I don't ride that hard and it's on a FS which will absorb most of the hits minus the few times I bottom out per ride. Hopefully I would be on with the Ti spindle. The 242g pedal with a concave shape and bearing instead of bushing is attractive albeit friggin expensive. I like the Atlas pedal as well but it's heavier and doesn't play nice with the Next SL cranks/boots. I don't mind spending money on stuff like pedals and grips.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I don't think the extra weight is worth trading off bushings from the canfield mags, the bushings are cheap and super easy to replace once you buy a thread tap.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Do bushings provide a lot more resistance than bearings? I dont think pedals are considered rotational weight but it rotates around a spindle amd if there is friction, youre working harder. Im asking more than stating. Im not an expert in the physics of this, but i strive to be as efdicient as possible, like reducing unnecessary weight and resistance anywhere you can.

mtbr member
    If you want to make the Ultimate feel more concave just leave the center pins along the axle out. That's what I do, I don't like pins in the center of the pedal. Plus the Ultimates are so thin and low profile.
    I also drilled and re-tapped my Ultimate pedals on the perimeter for 4mm x .75 thread to accept the Xpedo pins which I like the best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

meow, meow.
    i strive to be as efdicient as possible, like reducing unnecessary weight and resistance anywhere you can.
    Oh that's a dangerous route unless you're a consistently technical featherweight. Lightweight parts generally don't last and require more babysitting. For me that pursuit of efficiency boiled down to:
    have lightweight tires,
    keep hubs in good working condition,
    have an even chainline,
    avoid small cogs,
    try to get bike's center of mass closer to crankset,
    avoid brake rotor rub.

Pick the rest of parts as beefy as they need to be for you not to think about them accumulating fatigue or breaking when you screw up a move.

With heavy tires, trying hard to lighten the rest of the bike isn't worth it -- I've been there multiple times. Then again, dialed in cockpit and geometry are even more important. Which gets us back to the pedals -- pick the comfortable ones that last for you, have the beefiest, steel, spindle, and require the least ongoing maintenance.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Wow your Crampons look new. Mine look like crap, lots of rock strikes and two pins keeps coming loose.
    I might just get the Xpedo Spry and try that. For the price it's hard to beat.
    Ti spindles are nice and light but being right at the limit of 85-87kg geared up, I'd rather not risk it.
    Xpedo's at $70 a set, I can get a new set every year as long as they perform.
    I read somewhere that if you file the top of the Xpedo pins flat, it improves grip quite a bit

mtbr member

Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...

They're pretty new. They grip well as is but maybe if they get rounded over you could file them flat. They also have a v cut version. I've been running Xpedo pedal for a while good pedal but they're kind of thick.
    The Spry is not very durable.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Cool-blue Rhythm Nukeproof Horizon Pro Sam Hill

Just awesome... Big platform, not heavy, good grip, slim enough, little bit concave, rebuild kit is available so what not to like?

Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-dsc07200.jpg

Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-dsc07201.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Right on - try away and let us know what you think.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Wow your Crampons look new. Mine look like crap, lots of rock strikes and two pins keeps coming loose.
    Look like crap?
    Unless you are busting supermans on gaps, I don't think you can see them when you are riding.

I've been on my Crampons 5 years - AM/FR/DH all on these @ 230lbs...plenty of rock strikes and crashes along the way. 1 rebuild.

I wish all my parts held up like these pedals - they've outlasted frames, forks, brakes, cranks....Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-lrm_export_20160727_073856.jpg

Look like crap? Nah, they look like they've been through some ****, which is exactly what they should look like. I'd suggest putting down the spreadsheet and scale and going for a ride!