Page 41 of 62 FirstFirst ... 31 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 51 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,025 of 1541
    No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by keepbalanced View Post
    I have been wearing vans while riding for a long time, how do the red baron / other freeride shoes compare to vans? they look pretty similar to me. Rubber stickier maybe?
    I've not worn Vans but there isn't a shoe that's as sticky as the 510s.

Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Too bad they are all bulky and goofy looking as hell (same goes for Teva Links). I'm already hitting the chainstays sometimes with my size 12 Vans with run on the narrow side. I can't imagine riding with these joints. But I'm looking to try something new as I go through 2-3 pairs a season of Vans. The Point1 Podium just shred the waffle soles like no other. Grip is good, but the shoe could be stiffer a tad. Plus I'm so used to low cut shoes, well below the ankles like most Vans.
    First off, they aren't all goofing looking. Some are, sure, but there's several choices of just black, black/gray, white, white/black. And, with the exception of the mid- and high-tops they look like sneakers. Pretty "normal" stuff.

Plus, if you're worried about how you look riding I think you're doing it wrong. I catch hell every ride I take from my buddies because of all the sh|t I wear. An actual quote from today: "A snot yellow bike, purple shoes, red shorts, and a baby blue jersey. Are you Fing color blind?"

As long as the bike is upright and I'm shredding nothing else matters. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyHank View Post
    My UPS Spanked me yesterday!
    Save that picture. I you're anything like me they'll be beat to sh|t and unrecognizable inside of a month. But they'll still grip like new. And, amazingly, the pins are very tough. With my HT decoy knockoffs I replaced 2-6 pins EVERY ride. I've had these Spikes for at least 6 months and I've replaced ONE.

You'll love them with the new 510s as long as you give it several weeks to acclimate to flats

beater
    Mine weren't showing as much wear until I started riding the twenty6 Predators. They shred soles.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Loved your review! Checking parts with other brands is always the best!!! Thanks for the info!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    You'll love them with the new 510s as long as you give it several weeks to acclimate to flats
    Thanks Mike, I know I wouldn't have bought the Spikes had you not influenced my purchase Thanks to you and everyone else I'm looking forward to the transition to flats. Now I'll attempt to get my teenage wheelie technique back in order. No way I was going to attempt a clipped in wheelie and it'll be good to be able to put my foot down while carving if necessary.

Hank

P.S. Being clipped in isn't always the greatest

mtbr member
    agree with hank about "Being clipped in isn't always the greatest." Although I do miss being able to pull up on the peddles on a difficult uphill. But having said that, being able to bail / put a foot down when going fast or jumping off things is essential for me!

So what I am gathering is that the red barons / other freeride shoes have a more durable sole than vans and a stiffer sole. Both seem like good attributes that I am currently missing. Are they very comfortable for walking around in after the ride / if you have to hike or carry your bike?

mtbr member
    Are they very comfortable for walking around in after the ride / if you have to hike or carry your bike?
    Comfortable ? I can't take mine off !

Hank

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I rode in Vans for over 30 years from my BMX days to current day mountain biking. Swore by them and never considered wearing another shoe on a bike until I picked up a pair of Five Tens back in September recommended by a friend. I have NEVER been more comfortable on the bike. In dry, wet, or muddy conditions... they never slip. The "Stealth" rubber soles stick so well that I cannot reposition my foot on the pedal without lifting it first, no sliding it around like you can with Vans. Plus, they offer so much more support so you don't feel like your foot is flexing over the pedals.

Very comfortable off the bike as well, they just feel like a standard skate shoe. I still wear Vans but no longer on the bike.

Checkout Backcountry.com, they usually have some killer deals on closeout Five Tens.

mtbr member
    thanks for the sound advice guys, I am gonna look into getting some of these shoes

Stand back
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Too bad they are all bulky and goofy looking as hell (same goes for Teva Links). I'm already hitting the chainstays sometimes with my size 12 Vans with run on the narrow side. I can't imagine riding with these joints. But I'm looking to try something new as I go through 2-3 pairs a season of Vans. The Point1 Podium just shred the waffle soles like no other. Grip is good, but the shoe could be stiffer a tad. Plus I'm so used to low cut shoes, well below the ankles like most Vans.

The Shimano AM41 is somewhat passable to me in the looks department, I'm might try those this season.
    The Teva Links come in all black, and the Pinner's come in more toned down colors and are cheaper, too. I think they look like normal street/ skate shoes, and are a ton less bulky than the stiffer 5.10's.

My Pinner's are nearly as stiff as my Impact 2's, but not quite as sticky. Not that they need to be, I think the 5.10's are a bit over the top, traction-wise, with decent pedals.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    I like all black shoes, are the Teva links nice?

mtbr member
    I like all black shoes, are the Teva links nice?
    I hate when chicks buy white stuff. Take them out for coffee or Italian food and wham it's a rag. Dirt looks good on Black, and it washes right off.

Hank

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyHank View Post
    I hate when chicks buy white stuff. Take them out for coffee or Italian food and wham it's a rag. Dirt looks good on Black, and it washes right off.

Hank
    couldn't agree more, always drives my girl crazy when she asks what is my favorite color... black... uggg thats not even a color, its a shade.... haha

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I remember reading somewhere on this forum about a member selling his own set of pedals--does anyone have a link to that? I thought it was in this thread.

Old N Slow
    Is there any one pedal that holds up to a heavy ride best? 240-250 lbs?
    I like the Spank spikes just not sure they will hold up to the beef put on them.

meow, meow.
    Shimano?

PS
    For greater spindle strength and fatigue resistance you want the spindle thicker, smoother shaped and made of stronger and more quality material. All of these properties converge, for a good example, on Shimano pedals like MX80, I think.

Straitline axles are also very beefy.
    Last edited by J. Random Psycho; 01-20-2013 at 01:57 PM.
    26" faithful.

mtbr member
    Hound made a good question, and got me thinking...

was inquiring about magnesium pedals with titanium spindles lately - to minimise weight on (already) light bike. that usually tends to also minimalise the security of riding, from what I gathered.

magnesium is not that resistant, you can easily chip it and destroy your pin holes with light crashes and titanium spindles have max weight limitations.

asked HT about their MExxT pedals and they told me 85 kg - which is very low, if you ask me.

they probably use 6al-4v titanium, most commonly used titanium in bike industry, from what I gathered.
    you now also have TiSpindle and they make titanium spindles with max weight limitation of 106 kg.
    that's only because they use US military Ti-6Q2 titanium - obviously superior to the 6al-4v.
    unfortunately - they make only handful of spindle types - too bad...

I was actually thinking - what is the max weight limitation for cro-moly and other material pedal spindles? would love to see how those compare.

if anyone has this kind of info, please share.

mtbr member
    I went from some heavy Animal BMX pedals (super great grip though) to lighter and thinner Blackspire pedals.

However, the grip was terrible in anything but sticky soled shoes (I ride in hikers) so had to add some pins. Some allen pan head 4x8mm screws were perfect. Cost me $4 to add 16 pins. Just did the corners for now. Much better traction. May be too much if I go with Five tens, but that's this spring.

Old N Slow
    Ashas, I was told that I should stay away from pedals that have Ti spindles as they would flex to much.
    I have a old set of Crupi BMX pedals I used before clipping in. However they would shred your shins if you missed a pedal. I still have wounds you can see on my shins from them 8 years ago. They are very close to the old Hutch bear trap pedals.

meow, meow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hound View Post
    Ashas, I was told that I should stay away from pedals that have Ti spindles as they would flex to much.
    Yes, even Ti6Q2 spindles are not as strong as good steel ones, if all other conditions are equal.
    26" faithful.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Random Psycho View Post
    Yes, even Ti6Q2 spindles are not as strong as good steel ones, if all other conditions are equal.
    comparing Ti-6Q2 titanium to 6al-4v, there is known minimum of at least 20 kg of rider's maximum weight between the two (don't know the difference in weight between those sipndles themselves, but would be cool to know).

cromoly and steel ones obviously have superiority over titanium is handling riders weight, but would be great to know by how much. are we talking 10-20-30 kg or like tons? just out of curiosity...

meow, meow.
    Well, 4130 CrMo steel has almost twice the elasticity modulus of 6Al-4V titanium (205 vs 114 GPa). This means it deflects only half as much under the same weight, which is good because smaller deflection slows or even prevents (depending on material quality, applied weight and resultant deflection) fatigue accumulation under cyclical load.

I have not found modulus of elasticity value for Ti6Q2 though, I guess it's somewhere in between those, but closer to that of 6Al-4V.

Strength-wise, numbers can be found that state yield strength of heat treated 4130 steel in about the range of 0.5 to 1.5 of 6Al-4V yield strength. Which can mean that steel axles treated to lower yield strengths can be bent more easily than Ti ones. But it's not the bending scenario that I would worry most about for a heavy rider, it's how well the spindles resist fatigue, because fatigue failures are sudden and result in complete disintegration of the part. As in, you're just hammering along and SNAP! goes your rib against the stem from sudden disappearance of pedal support on your power stroke.

PS
    Real mechanical engineers and material scientists are welcome to comment on this.
    26" faithful.

mtbr member
    I, for one, don't ever want to experience that snap.
    I ride awful enough to hurt myself even without that

but, truth be spoken, this new gen of thin pedals like HT's AE03, of CB Crampons is actually so light, <400g, even <350g, it's ridiculous.
    HT's lightest mag-ti combo pedals is barely over 200 g, incredible.

I don't know how much weight is going to be shed with the next gen, and what kind of materials are going to be used. I just have to say that I like this fast technological pace.
    if you look now, in 2013., back to ten years ago - those bikes look now like relics from '70s.

and the jump from steel to aluminium, which was considered foolishness, is nothing compared to jump from aluminium to carbon fiber.
    it's just amazing to see that level of advancement available to average Joe.
    my bikes are now more expensive then average car - crazy

meow, meow.
    I have no idea what better materials could be used in pedals without redesigning the entire crank to pedal interface..

BTW, for a heavy rider who often bends steel spindles on a certain model of pedals it would make sense to looks for thicker, stronger heat treated, but steel spindles anyway.
    26" faithful.

mtbr member
    yes, I also think new interface designs will emerge.
    and yes - anyone over 85-90 kg of weight shouldn't use ti spindles - that's just asking for trouble.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Just pulled the trigger on some spank spikes from Cambria for $109.99 to go with my $60 freeriders. Now to wait for UPS...

Page 41 of 62 FirstFirst ... 31 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 51 ... LastLast