• 05-10-2016
    metrotuned
    1 Attachment(s)
    Crank Brothers Stamp Pedal released Spring 2016
    Hans Rey rockin' the Stamp pedals from Crank Brothers. They're finally out!

Drawbacks: Don't dig the philips screw head on the pedal body end of axle nor the silver plate where the tapered chromoly axle with two Igus LL-Glide bearings and an additional double lip seal meets the pedal body. photo via bikerumor:
  • 05-10-2016
    GRPABT1
    1 Attachment(s)
    Picked up a pair of these VP Harrier pedals to replace my Canfield Magnesium I've had for over a year. Looking for a lager pedal to suit my wide size 12 (US) shoe. If these work well I'll be swapping them out for the lighter harrier altitude when they are avaikabke and putting these on my hard tail. First test ride is after work today but this far the car park test is impressive.Attachment 1069508
  • 05-10-2016
    Mountain Cycle Shawn
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GRPABT1 View Post
    Picked up a pair of these VP Harrier pedals to replace my Canfield Magnesium I've had for over a year. Looking for a lager pedal to suit my wife size 12 (US) shoe. If these work well I'll be swapping them out for the lighter harrier altitude when they are avaikabke and putting these on my hard tail. First test ride is after work today but this far the car park test is impressive.Attachment 1069508

That's what I'm using and I really like them, and I'm only a size 9.5.
  • 05-11-2016
    J. Random Psycho
    Still on my Kore Rivera Thermo, 1st pair keeps ticking... The plastic pins are a bit worn now and grip takes getting used to.. but I still like them a lot and my next pair is going to be plastic body, plastic pins too. (DJ/Urban bike though, so YMMV depending on whether you get rock strikes.)
  • 05-12-2016
    Miker J
    SPAM

Brand new Five Ten Impacts

$95

Size 10.5. Black/red

New Five Ten Impacts VXI. Sz 10.5 US, 45 EU - Buy and Sell Mountain Bikes and Accessories

I also have a very slightly used pair of same.
  • 05-12-2016
    inonjoey
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    SPAM

Brand new Five Ten Impacts

$95

Size 10.5. Black/red

New Five Ten Impacts VXI. Sz 10.5 US, 45 EU - Buy and Sell Mountain Bikes and Accessories

I also have a very slightly used pair of same.

Just curious, but why you selling? Switching it up?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
  • 05-12-2016
    Miker J
    Quote:

Originally Posted by inonjoey View Post
    Just curious, but why you selling? Switching it up?

My feet grew. No joke.

Love the shoe and have two pair in a larger size. Flats and clips.
  • 05-14-2016
    Gman086
    Well I finally bit the bullet and shelled out the jingo for some Crampon Ultimates and, well, HOLY $*&$! They really do make all others look like child's play, even my Point One Podiums and I've owned or ridden nearly every pedal in this thread. The whole convex (instead of concave like Deity and most others) platform doesn't make sense to me (that and the price is why I stayed away until recently). Seem pretty durable too; had some rock strikes that would have bent the spindles on my Compounds but these shrugged them off like nothing. Wish I would have bought some sooner; there isn't even a second place in this thread, drop to third because honestly that's how far ahead of the others these are!

Have FUN!

G MAN
  • 05-14-2016
    TwoTone
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    Well I finally bit the bullet and shelled out the jingo for some Crampon Ultimates and, well, HOLY $*&$! They really do make all others look like child's play, even my Point One Podiums and I've owned or ridden nearly every pedal in this thread. The whole convex (instead of concave like Deity and most others) platform doesn't make sense to me (that and the price is why I stayed away until recently). Seem pretty durable too; had some rock strikes that would have bent the spindles on my Compounds but these shrugged them off like nothing. Wish I would have bought some sooner; there isn't even a second place in this thread, drop to third because honestly that's how far ahead of the others these are!

Have FUN!

G MAN

I bought my first pair used as like you I had a hard time with the price. After that I've had no problem paying full price. It's really hard to convey just how good they are on a forum.
  • 05-14-2016
    inonjoey
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    I bought my first pair used as like you I had a hard time with the price. After that I've had no problem paying full price. It's really hard to convey just how good they are on a forum.

Yup, I agree completely. I actually managed to bend a spindle after a nasty rock strike in my first month of owning, but the guys at Canfield sent me a free replacement and a set of bushings in the mail overnight. Totally awesome. That was a year ago, and the pedals are still rocking along and have shrugged off many burlier strikes with ease. Since the "rebuild" is so quick and easy, I tear them down once a month - 10 minutes with a cloth and some grease and I'm out the door. Awesome pedals, can't recommend them enough.

• 05-15-2016
    Sigmo
    So... after my 1st DH trip on my new bike, with my old mg 1 pedals i've come to the conclusion that i need a bigger, more durable pedal!

Ive been looking at the DMR vaults cause they are very huge and everybody seems to love them, and i've always found the gamut podium a great looking pedal, altough a bit smaller.

I cant decide and i have to start ordering cause the next trip is coming!

I find the mg1's too small, so will the podium be big enough? its not much bigger then the mg1's on paper, or do i just go for the big vaults and be done with it .

i have a size 9 btw

thanks!
  • 05-15-2016
    themanro
    Just get the vaults, can't go wrong with them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 05-15-2016
    guitarjohn21
    Vaults a great fir my size 14's. Built super dieting, but limited grip on pedals for me. I use them for AM on my SB95.
  • 05-15-2016
    guitarjohn21
    Vaults are great for my size 14 shoe, built super strong. Limited grip so I use them on my SB95 for AM trail stuff.
  • 05-15-2016
    BuickGN
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post

Have FUN!

G MAN

I love the Ultimates and felt the same way until I tried the magnesiums. I actually love the convex design, it feels more natural and gives better circulation and easier foot placement with sticky shoes without sacrificing grip at all. Concave seriously feels a little weird now and uncomfortable.

I feel like the Ultimates are a close 2nd with the Mags taking first place. And as you said, next place is waaaay back there as they are all more alike than different.

With a 6mm leading edge and it doesn't get much thicker, I've only had one strike. It was enough to almost endo by kicking the rear up in the air so far. I was afraid to look I figured a hit like that killed the pedal and crank. All it did was put a nice deep scratch in the pedal. Convex, super light, super durable, great looking. Only downside is the price but with those upsides it's worth it.

The bushing vs bearing has not been a factor. The bushing only provides more platform area on the onboard side vs a bearing that uses up some real estate. I haven't even had to tighten the nut that compensates for bushing wear after a year with lots of climbing and a 245lb body weight.
  • 05-16-2016
    evasive
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BuickGN View Post
    I love the Ultimates and felt the same way until I tried the magnesiums. I actually love the convex design, it feels more natural and gives better circulation and easier foot placement with sticky shoes without sacrificing grip at all. Concave seriously feels a little weird now and uncomfortable.

I feel like the Ultimates are a close 2nd with the Mags taking first place. And as you said, next place is waaaay back there as they are all more alike than different.

With a 6mm leading edge and it doesn't get much thicker, I've only had one strike. It was enough to almost endo by kicking the rear up in the air so far. I was afraid to look I figured a hit like that killed the pedal and crank. All it did was put a nice deep scratch in the pedal. Convex, super light, super durable, great looking. Only downside is the price but with those upsides it's worth it.

The bushing vs bearing has not been a factor. The bushing only provides more platform area on the onboard side vs a bearing that uses up some real estate. I haven't even had to tighten the nut that compensates for bushing wear after a year with lots of climbing and a 245lb body weight.

Agreed. If you're planting your arch rather than the ball of your foot over the pedal spindle, there are advantages to having your sole flex over a convex platform rather than deforming into a concavity. And that's before considering the advantage of the thin leading edge.
  • 05-17-2016
    Gman086
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BuickGN View Post

Actually I am riding the "Mag" version of the Ultimates so no argument from me. Are they not the same pedal size and shape tho? I thought they were just different material.

Cheers,

G
  • 05-17-2016
    TwoTone
    I have one of each, I can't tell when I'm riding.
  • 05-17-2016
    GRPABT1
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sigmo View Post
    So... after my 1st DH trip on my new bike, with my old mg 1 pedals i've come to the conclusion that i need a bigger, more durable pedal!

Ive been looking at the DMR vaults cause they are very huge and everybody seems to love them, and i've always found the gamut podium a great looking pedal, altough a bit smaller.

I cant decide and i have to start ordering cause the next trip is coming!

I find the mg1's too small, so will the podium be big enough? its not much bigger then the mg1's on paper, or do i just go for the big vaults and be done with it .

i have a size 9 btw

thanks!

VP Components Harrier. Bigger, thinner, lighter and cheaper than Vaults.
  • 05-17-2016
    jacksonlui
    I've been riding the Crampon Ultimates and recently changed to the Deity TMacs. The TMacs are thicker and have had more pedal strikes but it's really no big deal. It just bounces off and you keep going. I like how the TMacs feel more than the Crampons, lets me feel the trail better and grips better. The Crampons developed some play in a short time, probably needs some servicing. I'll probably switch back and forth and see it going back to convex feels weird or sell the TMacs.
  • 05-18-2016
    Gman086
    ^^ Out of curiosity, what is your foot placement on the pedals? I think that plays a big part in which you would prefer as those pedals are the polar opposite of each other.
  • 05-18-2016
    digitalsoul
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    My feet grew. No joke.

Love the shoe and have two pair in a larger size. Flats and clips.

I have the impacts in a 10.5 and they fit perfect. I bought those shoes in a 10.5 and they are very tight. So the sizing is off between styles. Luckily the shoes have stretched some. But unless I am riding in those shoes, they are off my feet.
  • 05-18-2016
    jacksonlui
    For pedally sections I use the ball of the foot and I use a mid foot position on downhill, jumps, anything gnarly. My shoe size is 9-10.
    Sometimes on tech uphills my foot grand on what it can and the tmac really helps in that regard however parts of the pedal does extend outside my shoe because my feet aren't big. It it hits a rock it just ricochets off, just don't let it freak you out and ride through. Both tmac and crampons are good. Crampons are light. Tmacs feel better and looks bling and seems to be better quality. Some holes in the Crampons have been damaged from pedal strikes where the screws no longer fit. The set screws on the tmac is bigger. I have a scar on my shin to remind me.
  • 05-19-2016
    J. Random Psycho
    I may have realized one simple thing about pedal surface shape (as viewed from side) in relation to pedal body thickness.

If we assume that all (good) technical flat pedals, independently of their body thickness, are designed to position ball of the foot in front of pedal axle, then it can be seen that thick pedals should be concave because their bodies are parallelogram shaped (again, side view) and foot contact surface is offset forward, right where the ball of the foot is. On the other hand, thin pedals can't achieve much offset and have to have convex foot contact surface because it goes closer to the arch of the foot.

Also by this reasoning, there should be some intermediate pedal body thickness where the best foot contact surface shape is flat.
  • 05-20-2016
    CharacterZero
    Hard to believe this thread is still going...I've been running my Canfield Crampons since 07/2012 and they're still going strong. As a matter of fact, I just rebuilt them for the 1st time last night and they're back to being as quiet and spinny as ever...a bit scarred but that is just character.

Canfield Crampons FTW.
  • 05-23-2016
    flymybike
    Pictures!!!!
  • 05-23-2016
    CharacterZero
    Quote:

Originally Posted by flymybike View Post
    Pictures!!!!

Ha! I couldn't have done it without you (filling my order). Thanks for the extra pins you included in the pack!

I got no pics during the rebuild as there was nothing notable to snap pics of. Hell, I didn't even clean the fuggers, I just wiped down the surfaces that mattered. I'll snap a current pic soon.
  • 05-23-2016
    J. Random Psycho
    Just ordered a $18 set of Odyssey Twisted PC! Thick, concave, and plastic pins! :trollface:

(want to try them out once pins on Kores are finally too worn out to ride safely.)
  • 05-23-2016
    banditpowdercoat
    Thinking of trying the nrg tasters choice pedal. I got some thick alum pedals right now. Seem to grip my teva pivot flat/clipless shoes ok but I think there too thick. Either pedals or a pair of 5:10 this payday. Not sure which lol

Sent from my iPhone while my Heli plays with the gophers
  • 05-23-2016
    laxman2001
    Quote:

Originally Posted by banditpowdercoat View Post
    Thinking of trying the nrg tasters choice pedal. I got some thick alum pedals right now. Seem to grip my teva pivot flat/clipless shoes ok but I think there too thick. Either pedals or a pair of 5:10 this payday. Not sure which lol

For me, 5.10s made a much bigger difference than pedals.
  • 05-24-2016
    CharacterZero
    Quote:

Why not both? The VXI are on clearance... Bike - CLOSEOUTS
  • 05-24-2016
    banditpowdercoat
    Because I am in Canada and after exchange and shipping the shoes be the same price as here. I can get some 5:10 for about $150 CDN here. The Tasters Choice are $99. And I wont have to wait LOL.
    Sometimes I HATE upgradeitis. I also wana go to 2x10 from my 2x9. Rear mech is old and doesnt always shift, sometimes jumps 2
  • 05-24-2016
    banditpowdercoat
    Well I caved. Got both. 5:10 impact 2 and tasters choice. Trip around the block sticks like glue

• 05-24-2016
    Miker J
    The impacts don't appear to be listed on the close outs.

Pretty sure there is a brand new in box pair in the classifieds. ;)
  • 05-24-2016
    banditpowdercoat
    Lol. Ya. Got them at the lbs. they were listed as last years price so I got them to split the difference. Still a lot for shoes. Wife just looked at me and shook her head

• 05-25-2016
    big0mike
    Quote:

Originally Posted by laxman2001 View Post
    For me, 5.10s made a much bigger difference than pedals.

Same here. Even good 510s on mediocre pedals were an upgrade. I never believed anyone when they said 510s are the best. Until I tried them.
  • 05-25-2016
    laxman2001
    Quote:

Lol. Ya. Got them at the lbs. they were listed as last years price so I got them to split the difference. Still a lot for shoes. Wife just looked at me and shook her head

If a woman is angry at YOU for spending too much on shoes...

You may just have married well.
  • 05-25-2016
    banditpowdercoat
    Lol. Ya. But she got $300+ boots she has only worn twice type thing

• 06-05-2016
    drakche
    Quote:

Originally Posted by metrotuned View Post
    Happy New Year y'all. Just a few months away from 6 years after authoring the Platform Pedal Shootout. 820,000+ views.

After going through 65 pages and all the feedback you've provided, what is the best pedal? It's subjective to you.

New year update on my daily commuter setup - DMR V12 magnesium which is identified by the gold end cap and customized with Mental style steel pins instead of the factory silver allen key grub screws which are lighter and function OK, but I think they cheapen the pedal. People, these pedals are a reasonable $60!

Hi, sorry for the grave dig, but do you have a link for the pins?

Sent from my m2 note using Tapatalk
  • 06-05-2016
    inonjoey
    Noticed a crack in my Canfield Bros Crampon Ultimates, right along the axle. Pedals still seem to function just fine, but there days may be numbered. 1,600+ hard miles with hundreds of rock and log strikes in there - I can't complain. Will be ordering a replacement set this week.

• 06-21-2016
    Bimmer74
    After three years and 2,100km, my left side HT PA12A is oozing grease at the spindle... I assume that the seal on that side (towards the crank) has failed. I've been riding it like this for 140km or so, and it still spins fine.

Are these rebuildable?! I can't figure out how to take them apart.

I found another pair for €40 and bought them. Even if the first pair are toast, it seems like they held up well enough...
  • 06-21-2016
    Camaleon
    The BIGGER the better!
    The Catalyst Pedal from Pedaling Innovations is the world’s best performing, most comfortable flat pedal – period.

http://pedalinginnovations.com/

FTMFW!
  • 06-21-2016
    Camaleon
    The Catalyst Pedal from Pedaling Innovations is the world’s best performing, most comfortable flat pedal – period.

FTMFW!
  • 06-21-2016
    jacksonlui
    Mkay

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
  • 06-22-2016
    fishwrinkle
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Camaleon View Post

FTMFW!

meh
  • 06-22-2016
    Mountain Cycle Shawn
    Meh, is right. I'll pass. There's a lot of smoke and mirrors in their scummy marketing. It's like they are trying to sell a diet plan. People drive a pedal from whatever part of their foot feels comfortable to them.
  • 06-24-2016
    NWS
    I like the idea behind that pedal a lot, but I'm suspicious about it having no pins in/around the center. I had a set of HT pedals (forgot the model #) that lost a lot of grip after the last center pin sheared off. Still usable, but not nearly as sticky.
  • 06-24-2016
    Camaleon
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NWS View Post
    I like the idea behind that pedal a lot, but I'm suspicious about it having no pins in/around the center. I had a set of HT pedals (forgot the model #) that lost a lot of grip after the last center pin sheared off. Still usable, but not nearly as sticky.

I don't work for them or have any form of endorsement form them.
    I just bought a pair and TRIED it, shortly afterwards I bough another set for my SS as well since it was weird to pedal with small (50/50 and Spank Spikes pedals)
    Don't take my word for it, or his, just order a pair and TRY it.
    You have nothing to loose as he offer a great guarantee.

"In fact, I’m so confident that you’ll love the Catalyst Pedal that I’ll back it up with a full 30 day money back guarantee."

You can take opinions from people that had never used them and read all about it here, but until you go out for a ride using them you and everyone else is really clueless, since there's no other pedal out there like this. And that my firend is not my opinion is a FACT!
  • 06-24-2016
    JCWages
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Camaleon View Post
    I don't work for them or have any form of endorsement form them.
    I just bought a pair and TRIED it, shortly afterwards I bough another set for my SS as well since it was weird to pedal with small (50/50 and Spank Spikes pedals)
    Don't take my word for it, or his, just order a pair and TRY it.
    You have nothing to loose as he offer a great guarantee.

"In fact, I’m so confident that you’ll love the Catalyst Pedal that I’ll back it up with a full 30 day money back guarantee."

You can take opinions from people that had never used them and read all about it here, but until you go out for a ride using them you and everyone else is really clueless, since there's no other pedal out there like this. And that my firend is not my opinion is a FACT!

OK Ron Popeil. I'll buy a set if you throw in not 1 but 2 Shamwows.
  • 06-25-2016
    laxman2001
    I tried 'em, was not thrilled. I'm sure some people really liked them but I'm much happier on my Crampons.