Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 400 of 2192
  1. #301
    mtbr member
    Reputation: metrotuned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,770

    Point 1 Podium's in RED ANO

    A bit flashy, red anodized Point One Podium's on Saint Crankset. Better be real fast on the bike with this setup! (via Eurospek).

    Also:::: I'm in the market for pedals, for my secondary beater scraper town ss mountain bike; looking at this guide helps, I have a hundred bucks, so I'll report back with best platform pedal under $100!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-point-one-podium-red.jpg  

    Lead actor Will of the Sun, Author Platform Pedal Shootout 900K+ views

  2. #302
    Dinner for wolves
    Reputation: buddhak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,560
    Quote Originally Posted by illnacord View Post
    A bit flashy, red anodized Point One Podium's on Saint Crankset. Better be real fast on the bike with this setup! (via Eurospek).

    Also:::: I'm in the market for pedals, for my secondary beater scraper town ss mountain bike; looking at this guide helps, I have a hundred bucks, so I'll report back with best platform pedal under $100!
    Perhaps not THE BEST, but the (old news) Answer Rove FR pedals are on sale at Pricepoint for $67. Best execution of the ubiquitous HT AN pedal style that I have seen. I just ordered some plastic Nanos, so I will report on how those hold up just as soon as they complete the journey over from China to trail.

    On a side note, the new crampons look dope. Still waiting on the Specialized pedals to materialize, though...
    Responds to gravity

  3. #303
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,468
    ^ What type of pin style would you call those that come on the Answer pedal? Can one buy them in longer lengths?

    Usually it's either set screws (or grub screws) or socket cap screws, both used with an allen wrench, but the screw on the Answer looks to be the safest bet to replace down the line.

    konahonzo

  4. #304
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jason B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    875
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    ^ What type of pin style would you call those that come on the Answer pedal? Can one buy them in longer lengths?

    Usually it's either set screws (or grub screws) or socket cap screws, both used with an allen wrench, but the screw on the Answer looks to be the safest bet to replace down the line.
    They look about like the pins Straitline uses (and Deity on the Decoy LTD's).
    Transition Bank
    Transition ToP
    Transition Covert

  5. #305
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,468
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason B View Post
    They look about like the pins Straitline uses (and Deity on the Decoy LTD's).
    Was just on Deity's site and you're correct, but still have no proper name for this type of hardware or if it's possible to upgrade to longer pins as well?
    konahonzo

  6. #306
    mtbr member
    Reputation: socalMX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,275
    I have a set of these Black Ops Torqlite pedals on the way! Around 400g with a wide platform for my size 12s... Hopefully a good match to my 5-10s!Pedals Black Ops Torqlite Ul Cnc Blue
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  7. #307
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Thor Lord of Thunder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    296
    Quote Originally Posted by illnacord View Post
    A bit flashy, red anodized Point One Podium's on Saint Crankset. Better be real fast on the bike with this setup! (via Eurospek).

    Also:::: I'm in the market for pedals, for my secondary beater scraper town ss mountain bike; looking at this guide helps, I have a hundred bucks, so I'll report back with best platform pedal under $100!
    Sick setup....just received my red Guidering in the mail, will match it up with a Saint crank, white MRP G2, and red Straitline pedals tomorrow!

  8. #308
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,468
    konahonzo

  9. #309
    mtbr member
    Reputation: metrotuned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,770

    ... and if we just ... Syncros Stainless Mental w/ replacable pins RE-UP

    @eurospek, diggin' that pic of the dmrbikes posted. The pin placement is spot on, and the shape is clean. I dig it.

    @socalmx: those blackops are great value pedals - I saw those too, like all Origin 8/Black ops products, appear to copy something by a brand name, in this case the recently released Atomlab Pimplite WRX's, except the spindles differ in size and shape - the Atomlabs spindles flare towards the threads and appear beefier, the one thing I watch out for are weak looking spindles. Heat treated crmo spindles are preferred. Shearing/breaking a pedal spindles is something you want to avoid, seriously! Saving weight on a pedal spindle is a no no. I appreciate the US made titanium spindles offered for XTR and Eggbeater pedals, but the rider weight limits are something that are not tested scientifically, but by the riders using them - ouch.

    I found the platform pedals under $100, an oldie but goodie as featured in the first post of this thread, the Syncros Mental - not lightweight, but heavyweight. Mentals come in variations - the Crux, Meathook, Alloy Mental, Stainless mental. Also, I've seen stainless versions with the pins molded into the pedal body (as originally reviewed in first post), and others with the pins that are replaceable. I just picked up the latter, with the replaceable pins - stainless bodies, steel spindles, replaceable pins, quad bearings, curved foot bed, rotation control, and lifetime warranty on pedal bodies, 800g (1.7lbs)!!!

    Check out the dudes leg in the pinkbike thread after slipping off his Mentals: Syncros Pedals - Pinkbike.com Forum

    Pic attached!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-syncros-mental-crmo.jpg  

    Lead actor Will of the Sun, Author Platform Pedal Shootout 900K+ views

  10. #310
    mtbr member
    Reputation: socalMX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,275
    800g on a set of pedals is just silly! I did look at the Atomlabs but cant get that version in blue! Im 215Lbs geared so hoping these hold up! Not many boulders where I ride, in fact I cant remember ever slamming my pedal hard on a rock!

  11. #311
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    931
    Just ordered a pair of Straitline AMP pedals to replace my 520g Straitline Defacto pedals!

  12. #312
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jason B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    875
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonylokrn View Post
    Just ordered a pair of Straitline AMP pedals to replace my 520g Straitline Defacto pedals!
    Even at 520g, Straitline Defactos's still rock. Can't see a reason to swap them out!
    Transition Bank
    Transition ToP
    Transition Covert

  13. #313
    mtbr member
    Reputation: socalMX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,275
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonylokrn View Post
    Just ordered a pair of Straitline AMP pedals to replace my 520g Straitline Defacto pedals!
    I was turned away from the AMP due to the smaller size, I wear a 12 but still may consider them in the future, nice lookin pedal! Please post a pic mounted and give a report! I just mounted up my Black Ops (pictured above) and will be riding them today. I am pleased with the LARGE platform! Will see soon how they hold up!

  14. #314
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    506
    I just got rid of my AMPs after getting tired of the seal drag and the fact that they will back out of crankarms due to the drag... many occurences of this have been noted. Great way to f*ck your cranks in a hurry.

  15. #315
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    931
    Quote Originally Posted by socalMX View Post
    I was turned away from the AMP due to the smaller size, I wear a 12 but still may consider them in the future, nice lookin pedal! Please post a pic mounted and give a report! I just mounted up my Black Ops (pictured above) and will be riding them today. I am pleased with the LARGE platform! Will see soon how they hold up!
    I wear size 9.5 so I doubt I'll have a problem with them.

    I went with the black AMP pedals so they will go great with my black/white X.O crank!

    Quote Originally Posted by gretch View Post
    I just got rid of my AMPs after getting tired of the seal drag and the fact that they will back out of crankarms due to the drag... many occurences of this have been noted. Great way to f*ck your cranks in a hurry.
    The AMP uses the same seals and I assume the same axle as the Defacto pedals. Never had a problem with the drag backing the pedals out. I've had great experience with the Defacto and never notice the drag while actually pedaling, and it's great that it has no unnecessary pedal spin.

  16. #316
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    506
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonylokrn View Post
    I wear size 9.5 so I doubt I'll have a problem with them.

    I went with the black AMP pedals so they will go great with my black/white X.O crank!



    The AMP uses the same seals and I assume the same axle as the Defacto pedals. Never had a problem with the drag backing the pedals out. I've had great experience with the Defacto and never notice the drag while actually pedaling, and it's great that it has no unnecessary pedal spin.
    Hey, if they work for you great, I wasn't thrilled with their performance... getting some Point Ones.

  17. #317
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    931
    Quote Originally Posted by gretch View Post
    Hey, if they work for you great, I wasn't thrilled with their performance... getting some Point Ones.
    Point One Podiums have drag as well and a few people had problems with the platform completely sliding off the axle.

    Nice looking pedal none the less, but quite pricey.

  18. #318
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    506
    Crap, just missed out on a deal at Fanatik for the Podiums. They were being offered at $120... only a few pairs available. In the meantime I have some on order from CRC. Also going to try the Nukeproof Electron plastic pedal as an option for my AM riding days and keep the Podiums fresh for DH.

  19. #319
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    931
    Just got my Straitline AMP in today. Beautiful pedal and much more compact from the De Facto model.

    Comes in at 308g without the HEX pins and 332g with the HEX pins.

    Comparison shots against the De Facto model that comes in at 520g with the HEX pins:








  20. #320
    mtbr member
    Reputation: socalMX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,275
    Thanks for posting that! The Amps dont look terribly smaller like I thought! Have you mounted em up yet and got a foot on em? Review!!!

  21. #321
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    931
    Quote Originally Posted by socalMX View Post
    Thanks for posting that! The Amps dont look terribly smaller like I thought! Have you mounted em up yet and got a foot on em? Review!!!
    Waiting on my frame to arrive...hopefully in 2 weeks it will arrive!

    Another money shot:


  22. #322
    mtbr member
    Reputation: socalMX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,275
    TWO WEEKS! Ugh... J/K, sucks for you! What size shoe do you wear?

  23. #323
    mtbr member
    Reputation: metrotuned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,770

    Wink Point One Podium & Straitline AMP flats platform pedal

    Comparison of both pedals, side by side. No weights, but the machining and finish on the Straitlines are on point

    Both pedals have about the same preload, Straitlines are slightly smaller, but by no means too small for my size 12's. Note the lack of the Point One Podium hump near the crankarm of the pedal.

    Lead actor Will of the Sun, Author Platform Pedal Shootout 900K+ views

  24. #324
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,468
    ^ Those do look nice. Are they as stiff to spin as the Podiums?
    konahonzo

  25. #325
    mtbr member
    Reputation: socalMX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,275
    He said both pedals have about the same preload! Yea, i like the fact that it deosnt have that hump! Good to hear a vote of confidence from someone else with size 12s!!! Thinking AMPs or Spike Spanks for an alternate!

  26. #326
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,048
    my beasts, updatet with ti axle from a dead neutron mag pedal!
    best pedal for big feet.. 18mm tick. 380gr alu boddy with (ti) axle
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-img_0794.jpg  


    ride.

  27. #327
    mtbr member
    Reputation: socalMX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,275
    I like the HT, cant beat the pricing! Wish they were a little bigger!

  28. #328
    mtbr member
    Reputation: metrotuned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,770
    If you're using the AMP pedals, be sure to use loctite and let set, ... I only used phil grease and on a shakedown ride, found the pedals unthreading themselves!!! This, after hucking off a jump and hearing a loud cracking noise.
    Lead actor Will of the Sun, Author Platform Pedal Shootout 900K+ views

  29. #329
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    506
    Quote Originally Posted by illnacord View Post
    If you're using the AMP pedals, be sure to use loctite and let set, ... I only used phil grease and on a shakedown ride, found the pedals unthreading themselves!!! This, after hucking off a jump and hearing a loud cracking noise.
    I have heard from a few riders now of the same issue with the AMPs (myself included). In my opinion there is no way you should be required to loctite your pedals. Been there done that, no thanks.

  30. #330
    mtbr member
    Reputation: metrotuned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,770
    @gretch, seriously! Being paranoid about breaking a spindle is a concern, but having a pedal unthread itself while riding is another concern that just shouldn't exist!!!
    Lead actor Will of the Sun, Author Platform Pedal Shootout 900K+ views

  31. #331
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    506
    Dude, let me know when you lose your pedal and strip out your crankarm threads. Seen it happen in person. Fun times. Know any other pedals that unthread on their own?

  32. #332
    mtbr member
    Reputation: socalMX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,275
    Arent the crankarms reverse threaded for a reason? Seems it would be kinda hard for a pedal to unthread itself!

  33. #333
    mtbr member
    Reputation: monstertiki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    710
    How bout using teflon tape instead of loctite?... and pedals are not suppose to unthread. None of the pedals I've used have unthreaded themselves and I didn't use any loctite or tape on em. Lopro mags, blackspire sub4, Vp-001s, wellgo's, tiogas, azonic aframe, and my recent addition HT ae-01s have all stayed put. Maybe it was a bad batch of amps, either way it sounds strange.

  34. #334
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    506
    I tried to contact Straitline to get their take on it, but they never responded to my inquiries. If I was heaping praise on a product you can guarantee a response, but not in this case.

  35. #335
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,468
    konahonzo

  36. #336
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    506
    Those look good. I was considering the DA Bomb Bare Bones (another HT AE01 rebranded) for just over $100, but not available until mid February. Are these available from On-One's website? Any more details?

  37. #337
    Bloodied but Unbowed
    Reputation: DesertCrawler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,498
    Those On One's look very nice. I wanted AE01 or some close variant but decided I could not wait for general availability to be better in the US. It boiled down to Straitline AMP vs Spank Spike. Even though the AMPs are lighter, overall I preferred the design of the Spike. Just installed them today on my Rocky Mountain Flatline Pro and will hopefully test them out Monday.

    On my AM bike I have been running the re-branded HTs sold by Performance. They are cheap enough, work great and have held up well in abusive AZ riding conditions, but I do want something thinner to maybe reduce pedal strikes but more importantly for better control. Just couldn't bring myself to spend Point One Podium prices, as nice as those pedals are.

  38. #338
    mtbr member
    Reputation: socalMX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,275
    I like the On-ones too but THINNY? Come on now, couldnt come up with a better name than that? AND THEY DONT COME IN BLUE!!!

  39. #339
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,468
    Quote Originally Posted by socalMX View Post
    I like the On-ones too but THINNY? Come on now, couldnt come up with a better name than that? AND THEY DONT COME IN BLUE!!!
    I would've named them On-One Wafers.
    konahonzo

  40. #340
    mtbr member
    Reputation: metrotuned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,770
    monstertiki, no, they recommend loctite in instructions, I used it and the pedals have stayed put since! ... also, be sure to use loctite on clean threads, loctite does not work on greased up spindle and crankarm threads!
    Lead actor Will of the Sun, Author Platform Pedal Shootout 900K+ views

  41. #341
    NWS
    NWS is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,446
    Quote Originally Posted by gretch View Post
    Are these available from On-One's website? Any more details?
    According to the link he posted, they'll be available in about 5 weeks. One of the comments says they'll be on On-One's web sites, but I don't see them listed yet.

  42. #342
    Bloodied but Unbowed
    Reputation: DesertCrawler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,498
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertCrawler View Post
    Those On One's look very nice. I wanted AE01 or some close variant but decided I could not wait for general availability to be better in the US. It boiled down to Straitline AMP vs Spank Spike. Even though the AMPs are lighter, overall I preferred the design of the Spike. Just installed them today on my Rocky Mountain Flatline Pro and will hopefully test them out Monday.

    On my AM bike I have been running the re-branded HTs sold by Performance. They are cheap enough, work great and have held up well in abusive AZ riding conditions, but I do want something thinner to maybe reduce pedal strikes but more importantly for better control. Just couldn't bring myself to spend Point One Podium prices, as nice as those pedals are.
    Just a quick update. I have these on my Rocky Mountain Flatline Pro and was able to try them out on a few runs yesterday (two Holbert runs, followed by one Geronimo at South Mountain in Phoenix).

    They are great. Zero regrets. I noticed fewer pedal strikes, they are nice and roomy without being too big, and seem easy to get the foot positioned consistently. I opted to not install the inner pins which was the recommendation in the instructiuons for optimal foot placement vs optimal grip. Since they gripped just fine using 5.10s, I do not feel the need for the maximum grip pin placement option. I did not notice any squeaking from the 5.10s that some have reported.

    I really noticed the added control especially in the switchbacks.

    I plan to get another set for my AM/FR bike when I can justify replacing the current pedals.

  43. #343
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Joel RW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    310
    Hey bit of a n00b to proper flats... looking for someone to recommend high quality pedal that works well with 510's.

    Coming from a clipless pedal users perspective.. Looking for something that's gonna make me feel nicely positioned on the pedal.

  44. #344
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    369
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel RW View Post
    Hey bit of a n00b to proper flats... looking for someone to recommend high quality pedal that works well with 510's.

    Coming from a clipless pedal users perspective.. Looking for something that's gonna make me feel nicely positioned on the pedal.
    Any pedal with replaceable pins.

  45. #345
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2
    Kona Wah-Wah.

  46. #346
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jason B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    875
    Quote Originally Posted by illnacord View Post
    monstertiki, no, they recommend loctite in instructions, I used it and the pedals have stayed put since! ...
    Out of curiosity, what is so different about the threads cut on the new spindles vs the old defacto spindle threads (or any other pedal for that matter) that requires these (and only these) pedals use loctite?
    Maybe it's just me, but it seems awfully odd.
    Transition Bank
    Transition ToP
    Transition Covert

  47. #347
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    506
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason B View Post
    Out of curiosity, what is so different about the threads cut on the new spindles vs the old defacto spindle threads (or any other pedal for that matter) that requires these (and only these) pedals use loctite?
    Maybe it's just me, but it seems awfully odd.
    Its not just you... it is both odd and a bunch of BS... and there is no mention of using loctite in Straitline's install instructions that I could find. Loctite for pins is fine, but for pedal spindles should not be required.

  48. #348
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    418
    Quote Originally Posted by gretch View Post
    Its not just you... it is both odd and a bunch of BS... and there is no mention of using loctite in Straitline's install instructions that I could find. Loctite for pins is fine, but for pedal spindles should not be required.
    a bike shop mechanic was telling me they have been using teflon tape and that has been successful.

  49. #349
    mtbr member
    Reputation: metrotuned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,770
    gretch: easy. New instructions may have been made from user feedback, it happens.

    murrdogg: teflon tape, this is like household plumbing. Loctite does the job. The only drawback is loctite should be left to set. Changing out clipless to platforms and vice versa may be a nuisance.
    Lead actor Will of the Sun, Author Platform Pedal Shootout 900K+ views

  50. #350
    mtbr member
    Reputation: socalMX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,275
    Teflon tape WILL make the threads tighter! Im using it on my pedals. I would rather that than gum up the threads on my crank using Loctite!

  51. #351
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    418
    Quote Originally Posted by illnacord View Post
    gretch: easy. New instructions may have been made from user feedback, it happens.

    murrdogg: teflon tape, this is like household plumbing. Loctite does the job. The only drawback is loctite should be left to set. Changing out clipless to platforms and vice versa may be a nuisance.
    Yes thanks, I'm aware of what it is. I'm just passing off information from my lbs who deal alot with straitline and have sold/installed many sets of the amps.

  52. #352
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jason B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    875
    Quote Originally Posted by illnacord View Post
    gretch: easy. New instructions may have been made from user feedback, it happens.

    murrdogg: teflon tape, this is like household plumbing. Loctite does the job. The only drawback is loctite should be left to set. Changing out clipless to platforms and vice versa may be a nuisance.
    Please answer the question. What is so different about those threads vs any other?
    Are threads not cut properly (wrong angle on cutting tool or something)? There has to be a reason for this oddity.

    You can buy cheap pedals that don't suffer this fate. Seem ridiculous for a high end component.

    In my eyes, loctite is just a band-aid.
    Transition Bank
    Transition ToP
    Transition Covert

  53. #353
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    506
    I just installed a $40 pair of nylon pedals (Nukeproof Electrons) on my Uzzi. They threaded on much better than the Straitline Amps with a bit of grease (as every pedal should be installed). I don't suspect that these "cheap" pedals will be falling off anytime soon. Is the issue the threading on the spindles with the Amps? Probably, but what do I know. I only use products not engineer them. And I don't pay blind homage to anyone's products no matter how blingastic they look... performance is everything.
    Last edited by gretch; 01-04-2012 at 01:59 PM.

  54. #354
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    418
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason B View Post
    Please answer the question. What is so different about those threads vs any other?
    Are threads not cut properly (wrong angle on cutting tool or something)? There has to be a reason for this oddity.

    You can buy cheap pedals that don't suffer this fate. Seem ridiculous for a high end component.

    In my eyes, loctite is just a band-aid.
    I've heard that the threads are cut too deep.

  55. #355
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    517
    What is the consensus as to the best thin platform pedal.

  56. #356
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,446
    no consensus. Everybody loves thin, and few have the money to afford redundant sets of super high end pedals. If you get the canfields, the point ones, or the spanks, chances are, you will be incredibly pleased.

  57. #357
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbnozpikr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,684
    Quote Originally Posted by William42 View Post
    no consensus. Everybody loves thin, and few have the money to afford redundant sets of super high end pedals. If you get the canfields, the point ones, or the spanks, chances are, you will be incredibly pleased.
    I totally agree. Like so many high end things, it eventually just comes down to personal preference.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

  58. #358
    RideDirt
    Reputation: aedubber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,252
    Im waiting for the pedals from E-Thirteen to be released shortly , things looks pretty bad8ss ! and i love the pin layout on them too.

  59. #359
    mtbr member
    Reputation: daisycutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,475
    Point1

  60. #360
    9 lives
    Reputation: cyclelicious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    12,021
    I have NRGs on my dh and am bikes for the last 3 years (I ride both bikes all year long) They are low profile Freeride Pedal Description from the web page:extruded from 6061 aluminum. CNC and anodized 17mm body has ten replaceable grip pins for ultimate traction. CNCd chromoly axle held tight with two sealed bearings and one DU bushing. Weight: 440 grams/pr. MSRP: $80/pr Black, $90/pr for colors

    Attachment 665652

    Attachment 665653

    NRG Enterprises - Products
    Last edited by cyclelicious; 05-21-2012 at 09:21 AM.

  61. #361
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    506
    NRG has a new pedal coming out shortly (February?) called the Space Junk... its a clone of the HT AE-01 pedal... very thin and light at about 315 grams claimed weight.

  62. #362
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    418
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    I have NRGs on my dh and am bikes for the last 3 years (I ride both bikes all year long) They are low profile Freeride Pedal Description from the web page:extruded from 6061 aluminum. CNC and anodized 17mm body has ten replaceable grip pins for ultimate traction. CNCd chromoly axle held tight with two sealed bearings and one DU bushing. Weight: 440 grams/pr. MSRP: $80/pr Black, $90/pr for colors

    Attachment 665652


    NRG Enterprises - Products
    i loved the grip on the slabalanche nrg pedal (the top pic)....however, after twice catching the corner and bending my crank arms and pedal spindel i've moved on...obviously im not blaming it on the pedal 100%...but i think it would have helped with a less catch friendly design.

  63. #363
    mtbr member
    Reputation: metrotuned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,770
    @michael1: No consensus. Go through 13 pages and you'll find a pedal for everyone's tastes.

    @Jason B: Who do you think I am, Straitline? LOL. These were my first set of pedals from Straitline.
    Lead actor Will of the Sun, Author Platform Pedal Shootout 900K+ views

  64. #364
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,468
    Picked up some HT AN01 Nano series pedals off ebay for 50 bucks to replace a pair of Kona Wah Wahs on my brother's bike. These are about 20g lighter too, managed to weigh both, and ended up replacing the stock stainless pins with some slightly longer pins and much better in black too lol.


    HT Components Pedal | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

    Ended up replacing the pins (same size as on the HT) on my Forte Convert pedals (another HT rebrand) and hopefully these will have just the right amount of grip with my Vans. The stock pins were great, until it got muddy.

    Next pedal purchase will be the On-One Thinnys as soon as they release (rebranded HT EVO AE01) as I can't really justify spending more than $50-100 on pedals these days, especially after purchasing a pair of Point1 Podiums for $150 in raw finish and feeling a bit disappointed in my purchase. They had quite a bit of resistance in spinning (read about it online but expected it to be less), some of the pin threads looked like they could be chased before inserting the pins, and the raw finish was "too raw" in a sense, like it could have had one more stage of deburring to smooth out some of the edges.
    konahonzo

  65. #365
    mtbr member
    Reputation: daisycutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,475
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Next pedal purchase will be the On-One Thinnys as soon as they release (rebranded HT EVO AE01) as I can't really justify spending more than $50-100 on pedals these days, especially after purchasing a pair of Point1 Podiums for $150 in raw finish and feeling a bit disappointed in my purchase. They had quite a bit of resistance in spinning (read about it online but expected it to be less), some of the pin threads looked like they could be chased before inserting the pins, and the raw finish was "too raw" in a sense, like it could have had one more stage of deburring to smooth out some of the edges.


    The resistance is meant to be that way.

    Video: Machining a Point One Racing Podium Pedal - Sick Lines – mountain bike reviews, news, videos | Your comprehensive downhill and freeride mountain bike resource

    Point One Podium Pedal Reviews

  66. #366
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    238
    Not sure if it's been mentioned here, but I spoke with someone with Point One recently and they said that the new pedals have slightly less tight tolerances in the seals, which will speed up the break in period and have less resistance.

  67. #367
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,468
    Thanks for the links.

    I was fully aware of the resistance before dropping the money but expected things to be smoother. And they may be fine on DH-oriented bikes, but for me, in the Midwest, I rarely point my bike down and would appreciate something smoother out of the box that didn't require such a long break-in period. Sold them, broke even, no biggie, and onto the next.
    konahonzo

  68. #368
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,266
    [QUOTE=eurospek;8932605]Picked up some HT AN01 Nano series pedals off ebay for 50 bucks to replace a pair of Kona Wah Wahs on my brother's bike. These are about 20g lighter too, managed to weigh both, and ended up replacing the stock stainless pins with some slightly longer pins and much better in black too lol.

    I took my kona Wah Wahs and retapped the threads for Straitline pins......awesome.
    20minutes well spent.

  69. #369
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    289
    I have Crank Bros Crampons and Point One Podiums both; bought both sets new same time...

    They're both quite nice, but I prefer the Crampons. They feel a bit slimmer.

  70. #370
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,468
    Quote Originally Posted by morandi View Post

    I took my kona Wah Wahs and retapped the threads for Straitline pins......awesome.
    20minutes well spent.
    A 10-pc bag of Straitline pins is like $10+ online. I bought a bag of longer set screws (100-pcs) for $5 online. Much more cost effective.
    konahonzo

  71. #371
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbnozpikr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,684
    Quote Originally Posted by recitio View Post
    I have Crank Bros Crampons and Point One Podiums both; bought both sets new same time...

    They're both quite nice, but I prefer the Crampons. They feel a bit slimmer.
    I think you're looking for Canfield Bros.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

  72. #372
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    289
    Well they're definitely brothers...

  73. #373
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbnozpikr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,684
    Quote Originally Posted by recitio View Post
    Well they're definitely brothers...
    Yessir they are. I just picked up a pair of Point1 Podiums over the Canfield Crampons. Maybe I'll try out the Canfields later.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

  74. #374
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    369
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    A 10-pc bag of Straitline pins is like $10+ online. I bought a bag of longer set screws (100-pcs) for $5 online. Much more cost effective.
    Am i able to swap out the pins in my DMR V8 pedals for Straightline style ones? Are the thread diameters standard across pedals?

  75. #375
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,468
    Quote Originally Posted by 2_WD View Post
    Am i able to swap out the pins in my DMR V8 pedals for Straightline style ones? Are the thread diameters standard across pedals?
    Not from my experience. Both HT pedals I have and the Kona Wah Wah had different sized thread diameters. The Konas were small, M3 size, where as the HT are M4.
    konahonzo

  76. #376
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    369
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Not from my experience. Both HT pedals I have and the Kona Wah Wah had different sized thread diameters. The Konas were small, M3 size, where as the HT are M4.
    Awesome, thanks.

  77. #377
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Yardstick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    538
    So, do you have much time on the Straitlines yet? Thoughts? I'm sporting Size 13's, so not a whole lot bigger than your 12's. I just picked up a set of the Performance Forte Convert pedals to fill the gap left by some other pedals that failed prematurely. The Forte's are good, but I like some of the features of the AMP's for the rocky desert southwest terrain I ride (and I still have a pedal-less bike in the garage to buy for! ).

    Quote Originally Posted by illnacord View Post
    Comparison of both pedals, side by side. No weights, but the machining and finish on the Straitlines are on point

    Both pedals have about the same preload, Straitlines are slightly smaller, but by no means too small for my size 12's. Note the lack of the Point One Podium hump near the crankarm of the pedal.


  78. #378
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,266
    Just got a pair of the HT AE01T pedals. Light, nice wide platform, super grippy, good pin layout, smooth spinning, super thin. Felt really good on the bike, and really nice in the corners. Only drawback, was on one of the climbs on my ride I had some squeaking. Nothing major, just vaguely annoying. Was wearing 5.10 impacts and I think it was the sole of the shoe contacting the little outboard bearing.

  79. #379
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    238
    Where did you find them?? Have been looking for a while for those.

  80. #380
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,048
    ebay.
    Last edited by 8664; 01-29-2012 at 10:20 AM.

    ride.

  81. #381
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,266
    The path bike shop has them.
    The Path Bike Shop - New Arrivals

  82. #382
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    46
    Anyone have an idea when the revised Canfield crampons will be released?

    After a set of ultra thins but am finding it hard to choose and living in remote australia makes it even harder. Never see anything in person before purchasing.

    Ta
    Matt

  83. #383
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cSquared's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    310
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack0207 View Post
    Anyone have an idea when the revised Canfield crampons will be released?

    After a set of ultra thins but am finding it hard to choose and living in remote australia makes it even harder. Never see anything in person before purchasing.

    Ta
    Matt
    Matt,
    The new Crampon Ultimate's and Ultimate Mag's are coming in Mid May. We are really excited- We have been prototyping the new pedal and bushings for 2 years now.
    The Weights are down to 320g and 280g (mag). Patents are filed and the pedal is now down to 10mm at the thick spot-
    Canfield Brothers on Facebook
    https://bitconnect.co/?ref=cSquared

  84. #384
    mtbr member
    Reputation: V.P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,704
    Quote Originally Posted by cSquared View Post
    Matt,
    The new Crampon Ultimate's and Ultimate Mag's are coming in Mid May. We are really excited- We have been prototyping the new pedal and bushings for 2 years now.
    The Weights are down to 320g and 280g (mag). Patents are filed and the pedal is now down to 10mm at the thick spot-
    Nice, sounds like you guys nailed it. Whats the length and width of the pedal?

  85. #385
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbnozpikr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,684
    Quote Originally Posted by cSquared View Post
    Matt,
    The new Crampon Ultimate's and Ultimate Mag's are coming in Mid May. We are really excited- We have been prototyping the new pedal and bushings for 2 years now.
    The Weights are down to 320g and 280g (mag). Patents are filed and the pedal is now down to 10mm at the thick spot-
    Wow, that's impressive.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

  86. #386
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Yardstick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    538
    FYI for anyone else interested in the Straitline AMPs, I did a short write-up of my initial impressions in this post.

  87. #387
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,266
    Quote Originally Posted by cSquared View Post
    Matt,
    The new Crampon Ultimate's and Ultimate Mag's are coming in Mid May. We are really excited- We have been prototyping the new pedal and bushings for 2 years now.
    The Weights are down to 320g and 280g (mag). Patents are filed and the pedal is now down to 10mm at the thick spot-
    I am so fully on board as long as there is no squeaking noise. They sound awesome. All the thin pedals I've tried have some sort of bearing issue, excessive drag, or annoying squeaking sound when pedaling. Glad to hear you are doing some rigorous testing before releasing them.

  88. #388
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Djenghis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    13
    Havent bothered to read every single post in this thread but in case it hasnt been mentioned; blackspire big slim is a high performer at a low price, they look awesome in black, 92x92mm plattform, servicable design, weight 418grams, have used them one season now mostly for all-mountain and they are great, love this bang-for-the-buck pedal
    http://www.blackspire.com/qs/product/83/5952/292238/0/0

  89. #389
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    506

    New HOPE pedals

    Not sure if this is a repost, but just came across these on the interwebz. Looking close to production.

    Last edited by gretch; 02-02-2012 at 12:19 PM.

  90. #390
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbnozpikr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,684
    Those Hopes are pretty. I kind of like the green.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

  91. #391
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by cSquared View Post
    Matt,
    The new Crampon Ultimate's and Ultimate Mag's are coming in Mid May. We are really excited- We have been prototyping the new pedal and bushings for 2 years now.
    The Weights are down to 320g and 280g (mag). Patents are filed and the pedal is now down to 10mm at the thick spot-
    Thanks for the first hand info! Will hang out on the plastic crap I have at the moment until the Ultimates become available in May = can't wait!

  92. #392
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,266
    I have to say I really miss the feel of my Point One Podiums. They were bar none the best feeling pedal I have used in terms of the shoe/pedal interface. I had so many bearing/play/noise/drag issues they just became a hassle.
    Does anybody know if the newer generations fixed the problems? I remember hearing they were adjusting the tolerances or something. I would be so back on board. I have ho-ing around with different pedals, but I just can't get the sweetness that I had with the Point-One's.

  93. #393
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    238

    Paid Spam

    Sold.
    Last edited by capslayer; 02-10-2012 at 07:15 AM.

  94. #394
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,468
    konahonzo

  95. #395
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    913
    So after nearly 3 months of waiting, I finally get the Da Bomb Bare Bones pedals that I ordered from CRC.
    They weigh 338 grams for the pair according to my scale. The platform is about the same size as the Crampons and they are thinner in the center but slightly thicker a the edges. Just got them today so not sure how they ride yet. Won't be able to ride till next week.

    Also, update on the Crampons. A while back I decided to try and sell them but decided to keep them after all. I did 2 things and the pedals barely squeak now while I'm riding so I'm much happier with them.
    The first thing I did was to take everything apart and clean out the bushing and grease with hi-temp wheel bearing grease.
    The second thing I did was I noticed in some pictures that you can thread the studs in from the reverse side by inserting your allen wrench through the pedal(the hole is drilled all the way through but there is a step so the stud can only go in so far). Threading the studs in this way gives maybe an extra millimeter of height. I'm also hoping that by threading in this way, if I ever shear off a stud I would still be able to back out the stud without drilling or anything.



  96. #396
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    289
    Funny about threading the Crampons... I wondered what the "proper" method of threading the spikes was.

    I find that the longer, pointy side out is actually a bit less likely to chew up my calves. The "flat" side is flat, but also sharper...

  97. #397
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,266
    I am just flat out loving my DMR Vaults more and more. Removed the pins close to the axle, and they feel even better and gripier. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

  98. #398
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    37
    after using the canfield crampons, twenty6 prerunners, and point 1 racing pedals my favorite are the point 1s with the twenty6 a close second. i didn't like the canfields very much because I could feel the piece down the middle where the axle is under my foot so I never felt as comfortable on them. the point 1s have held up the best out of all three, have great grip, and excellent clearance. the twenty6 have the best grip but aren't quite as tuff. I like the twenty6 pins a lot, even know they break easily. I've never had to drill, tap, or cut one. With the point 1s and canfield you some times have to cut the top off or drill a pin out if it is really messed up or bent. I'd love to see point 1 switch to top loading pins similar to twenty6.

  99. #399
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    8,127
    Quote Originally Posted by downplease View Post
    after using the canfield crampons, twenty6 prerunners, and point 1 racing pedals my favorite are the point 1s with the twenty6 a close second. i didn't like the canfields very much because I could feel the piece down the middle where the axle is under my foot so I never felt as comfortable on them. the point 1s have held up the best out of all three, have great grip, and excellent clearance. the twenty6 have the best grip but aren't quite as tuff. I like the twenty6 pins a lot, even know they break easily. I've never had to drill, tap, or cut one. With the point 1s and canfield you some times have to cut the top off or drill a pin out if it is really messed up or bent. I'd love to see point 1 switch to top loading pins similar to twenty6.
    that is some solid feedback and perspective right there.

    thanks for chiming in

  100. #400
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbnozpikr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,684
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero View Post
    that is some solid feedback and perspective right there.
    I agree. It makes me feel better that I went with the Point 1's as I have yet to get out on them.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 313

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •