Page 39 of 63 FirstFirst ... 29 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 49 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Ah ha, thanks for that informative reply. That's definitely something I haven't seen before in a platform pedal. That's a pretty interesting way to keep the pedal thin and strong right there without having an exposed axle or axle nut. I'll have to hand it to Speshy for an inovative approach on that one, although I would like to see it in hand to take a closer look.

meow, meow.
    Quote Originally Posted by trojans1993 View Post
    although I would like to see it in hand to take a closer look.
    That, or a schematic.
    26" faithful.

metrotuned WoS
    @ashas: As the OP of this thread, I will have a review of the Syntace NUMBERNINE platform pedals published here on MTBR in January 2013.
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by illnacord View Post
    @ashas: As the OP of this thread, I will have a review of the Syntace NUMBERNINE platform pedals published here on MTBR in January 2013.
    cool! looking forward to it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I've been on Candy Components pedals for about 1-2 years and love them. Looking forward to trying out the new crampon ultimates.

mtbr member
    I'm thinking about switching from clipless to platform. I have downloaded and read most of the Flat Pedal Revolution Manifesto found here:

The Flat Pedal Revolution Manifesto: How to Improve Your Riding With Flat Pedals | Mountain Bike Training Programs

I'm considering this pedal/shoe combination that's at about my maximum budget.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Hank

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    I'd pass on the Impacts and get Freeriders. Impacts are pretty bulky and don't breathe well. They're heavy, overbuilt downhill shoes. The Freeriders are still fairly stout but much lighter and flexible. They both stick like glitter to a sweater so you won't be giving anything up in terms of grip. There's a sale on Freeriders for $50 at competitive cyclist.

mtbr member
    Thanks DFYFZX,

I hear what you are saying and will look into Freeriders. I'm not hard core DH by any means but white is definitely off my list. What do you think about the Baron? (Not really into colors other than black, but my bike is red so it could work I guess.

Hank

mtbr member
    I have Impact 2 Hi-Tops.
    yes, definitely bulky and overkill-y.

it takes couple of rides to even realize where your feet are - but I love them. hi tops hug your ankle completely and it's even easier to pedal uphill because your feet are always straight. you really can not bend your feet in any direction other than straight.

it can get a bit warm as well, of course, but when you're bombing down you don't feel that at all - you're trying to stay alive going at max speed as you can possibly get

didn't try Freeriders, but I can definitely recommend Impact if you're willing to accept the shoe's terms and have very firm sole all the time.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyHank View Post
    What do you think about the Baron? (Not really into colors other than black, but my bike is red so it could work I guess.
    I've got a pair of purple Freeriders that are only about a year old so I don't need another but I couldn't pass up the $59 Red Baron's at Chainlove/Dept of Goods. I'll let 'em sit on a shelf until the purple pair wears out.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Hank, don't know anything about the Baron but they look less "hardcore" than the Impacts to me. Maybe between the Freerider and Impact? For $60 I'd say they're definitely worth a try

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    I've got a pair of purple Freeriders that are only about a year old so I don't need another but I couldn't pass up the $59 Red Baron's at Chainlove/Dept of Goods. I'll let 'em sit on a shelf until the purple pair wears out.
    Quote Originally Posted by DFYFZX View Post
    Hank, don't know anything about the Baron but they look less "hardcore" than the Impacts to me. Maybe between the Freerider and Impact? For $60 I'd say they're definitely worth a try
    Yea, I couldn't pass them up especially since I'm not sure about my transition from clipless to platforms. As long as I don't run into any gay bears I guess I'll be o,k. with red shoes.

UPS says the shoes should be here Tuesday. Price Point is ten miles from my house. Both these pedals are $44.98 but I canít make up my mind. Iím leaning towards the B131ís but the 132ís look nice too. Iíd say 50 bucks is my price range and am open to suggestions especially based on personal experience.

Thanks for helping,

Hank

mtbr member
    Hey Hank, I think in that price range those both are pretty nice, but make sure you can replace those pins with something a little less shin friendly. I have not ridden either of these but from the pics it looks like they are kind of short and nubby rather than a real pin that will dig into your sole for real solid grip. Just a thought...

mtbr member
    While they come with what appears to be a pin that looks like a capped hex-nut, I'm thinking it must be the same thread as pins that are really an allen head (or phillips head) set screw available in stainless steel of black steel at any hardware store that has a metric assortment. I kind of like that they are shin-friendly at this point.

Thanks,

Hank

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trojans1993 View Post
    Hey Hank, I think in that price range those both are pretty nice, but make sure you can replace those pins with something a little less shin friendly. I have not ridden either of these but from the pics it looks like they are kind of short and nubby rather than a real pin that will dig into your sole for real solid grip. Just a thought...

I agree. I recently got a pair of Blackspire Sub4 pedals to replace my Animals. The pins are not super short, but are wider and stainless/chrome and are not sticky on my hikers I use for riding (haven't bought sticky soles yet). The Animals I have are BMX pedals and will stick to hard plastic I bet.

I brought them yesterday to a downhill/freeride park to try them out and was slipping off of them. Had to trade my buddy for his DMR V8s which have a combination of flat pins and screws. Much more sticky.

However, he didn;t have a problem on the Blackspires with his 5.10 shoes. If you have sticky shoes those Wellgos won't be a problem.

Blackspires versus my Animals.

mtbr member
    While they come with what appears to be a pin that looks like a capped hex-nut, I'm thinking it must be the same thread as pins that are really an allen head (or phillips head) set screw available in stainless steel of black steel at any hardware store that has a metric assortment. I kind of like that they are shin-friendly at this point.

Thanks,

Hank
    Oddly enough,I think you will find nasty pins are actually better for shins because you rarely slip on pedals with taller sharper pins and proper shoes. My buddy just got some Sub 4s like Hoban's ^^ and they feel way sketchier than the Spanks or Crampons (talk about nasty pins...). I'm sure you a right with the set screw replacement on those so you should be fine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoban View Post
    I brought them yesterday to a downhill/freeride park to try them out and was slipping off of them.
    I'm curious. Not planning to do this in this lifetime, but when you see guys bombing down RedBull Rampage for the most part, are they riding clip-less or platforms?

Here's a little something if you're bored:

Red Bull Rampage Full Broadcast - Mountain Bike Reviews, News, Photo and Video

On-again Off-again Rain today humm,

Hank

mtbr member
    I'm curious. Not planning to do this in this lifetime, but when you see guys bombing down RedBull Rampage for the most part, are they riding clip-less or platforms?
    Not sure what your post is for. Mine was comparing two platform pedals, nothing to do with clipless...

No Clue Crew
    Yea, I couldn't pass them up especially since I'm not sure about my transition from clipless to platforms. As long as I don't run into any gay bears I guess I'll be o,k. with red shoes.
    Man, if you think red is gay you'd never make it with my crew. I get all kinds of hell about the purple shoes. Red will barely be noticed.

Plus, if you do run into any gay bears they'll just wanna dance.

If you do technical riding, up or down, I think you'll find.the transition a good one. Took me a couple weeks.to feel comfortable but I've got no reason to return.

Sent from my Thunderbolt via Tapatalk...

mtbr member
    Well hahaha at least they are not Pink! There have been a couple of falls that I've wondered if I would have been able to fight had I not been clipped in.

Hank

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Hank, I completely understand being on a budget. For $50, those pedals are both plenty nice, however, you won't get a true sense of what riding flats can actually be like unless you try some REALLY thin Spanks, Crampons, etc. The closer to the pedal axle you are, the better. I know we're talking millimeters here, but you can truly feel a big difference! My Sub4s used to try to rotate out from under my foot a few times a ride and I took a LOT more rock hits with them. Since I got the Crampon Ultimates, rock strikes are all but extinct and grip is just silly

Again, since this is an experiment for you, I get the concept of a budget. Just be sure to keep in mind that a "proper" set of Crampons, or HT AE01 pedals would make a bigger difference than you think If you can spring an extra $40, these would be eye opening compared to the Wellgos: Bi King 2013 HT AE01 MTB BMX Pedals Black 358G TB16B | eBay

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DFYFZX View Post
    Hank, I completely understand being on a budget. For $50, those pedals are both plenty nice, however, you won't get a true sense of what riding flats can actually be like unless you try some REALLY thin Spanks, Crampons, etc. The closer to the pedal axle you are, the better. I know we're talking millimeters here, but you can truly feel a big difference! My Sub4s used to try to rotate out from under my foot a few times a ride and I took a LOT more rock hits with them. Since I got the Crampon Ultimates, rock strikes are all but extinct and grip is just silly

Again, since this is an experiment for you, I get the concept of a budget. Just be sure to keep in mind that a "proper" set of Crampons, or HT AE01 pedals would make a bigger difference than you think If you can spring an extra $40, these would be eye opening compared to the Wellgos: Bi King 2013 HT AE01 MTB BMX Pedals Black 358G TB16B | eBay
    I would tend to agree with this. I recently tried to go back to flats. I went a little more money and bought the Shimano Saint pedals for $80. I found them wanting to roll under my feet also. Maybe that will go away as I get used to them- not sure. I'm wishing now that I had just gone all in with thinner pedals.

Now I have a pair of $80 pedals and I'm not sure if it the pedals or running flats that I don't like, so to know for sure I'll have to give these more time and if it doesn't get better, but thinner pedals to know for sure.

It would have been cheaper to buy the thin ones and if it didn't work sell them to recoup a good portion of the money.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Sounds to me like you're pretty sure you really want some higher end ultra thins. My advice is sell your saints before you ding them up and you will get a much better return. Pedals that look used don't tend to bring too much.

mtbr member
    My .02... Been on Saints for quite a few hours now on least aggressive setting (all pins installed w/ spacers) and Vans and have yet to slip or roll a pedal. Still go clipless for purely xc or cyclocross though. If you wanna flick your Saints...
    I live in my head...

Just having fun... Sorry to piss you off...

No Clue Crew
    And to top off all the price issues I'd say it's better to go cheaper on pedals than shoes.

I started my switch back to flats with a set of $50 HT somethings (decoy knockoffs) and a pair of $30 Fox shoes off Chainlove. They worked OK and I got used to flats again fairly quickly. Then started working on some bigger drops and couldn't keep my damn feet on the pedals. Sprung for my 510 Freeriders and couldn't believe the difference they made. Then I eventually got a pair of Spank Spikes and the ride is even better. Not as big a difference moving to the new pedals as the new shoes made, though.

Page 39 of 63 FirstFirst ... 29 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 49 ... LastLast