Page 36 of 43 FirstFirst ... 26323334353637383940 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,800 of 2119
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by nauc View Post
    anyone using these...

what are those? I personally don't think I would like them since they look like they sit really close to the crank arm.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jojotherider View Post
    what are those? I personally don't think I would like them since they look like they sit really close to the crank arm.
    Burgtec Penthouse MK4 | Burgtec

mtbr member
    Picked up a set of Origin8 Ultim8 slimline platforms after deciding that my 1inch thick, 520g DeFactos were just not what I was looking for. I should have bought them instead but stumbled into a pair of straitlines for cheap and took immediate gratification over shipping time for my first choice.
    Here's some pics with 'mini-review' comments after my first real ride with them this morning. Paired with a pair of size 10 Teva Links shoes.
    I measured them with machinists calipers:
    Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-image.jpg
    Converted to mm that's 13.5mm outboard of the crank face. I never measured my DeFactos, but will say these 'feel' like these have more clearance. Stabbing my feet back on the pedal after a foot dab resulted in less instance of landing on the crank arm than before.
    95mm of actual foot space across the body. Didn't feel much different than the DeFactos. Both were plenty wide. The corners aren't square like DeFactos, but I couldn't feel it underfoot. I think the shape may have actually helped the clearance.
    100mm from front to back. This was immediately apparent. I think Straitline claims the same measurement, but the thick parallelogram shape cuts into the area for feet. These feel like more surface underfoot.
    13mm thick at the axle. Literally half as thick as DeFactos. This is huge for me and along with weight, the biggest reasons I ditched the old ones. This was *very* apparent in both pedal strikes and center of gravity when standing. Much less 'tippy'
    As for weight- no pics but they came in at 312g on my food scale. Over 200g lighter than DeFactos.
    The pins don't feel sharp, which is both good and bad- they grip quite well, but not locked in, Velcro'd down like my old pedals. Less 'calfburger' potential as well. I have no complaints.
    So far very pleased with them. Time will tell on how they hold up.

Brand Ambassador Moderator
    I just ordered the Wellgo B252-mg.
    B252-MG - Wellgo

Wellgo claims 206g/pr. The eBay seller claims 125g per pedal.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by F8L View Post
    B252-MG - Wellgo

They also appear to be making this pedal in an aluminum version - 300g quoted... Can't find it for sale anywhere, so maybe it's not released commercially yet.

Quote Originally Posted by powderturns View Post
    They also appear to be making this pedal in an aluminum version - 300g quoted... Can't find it for sale anywhere, so maybe it's not released commercially yet.
    I couldn't find it anywhere but ebay. There were 2 sellers. One had them at $33 but sold put last week. The other one had them for $66. Maybe same place. I need pedals so I went for it. If there is a problem with the seller I'll report back.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    saw these in a Pinkbike article:

T-mac prototypes. I really like the looks of them.

banned
    Feb 2004
    Just picked up some saint pedals from Merlin Cycles for $45, good deal for a quality pedal.

Finally!
    I have had a hard strike with my Saints and yes they scuff and scratch but absolutely no shape distortion or axle damage. Love my Saints

squish, squish in da fish
    hope f20's FTW! 3 seasons no maintenance (~4500 miles) at all and act like they did once they broke in, no slop either. oh wait they're on my hybrid 29er though, WTF turbo a 29 is a hybrid in your eyes? ignorant

LCW
    mtbr member

Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...

Vault...

Last edited by LCW; 04-19-2015 at 12:17 AM.

EVIL Following

Surly Wednesday

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I picked up a pair of XPEDO SPRY flats with an additional set of split pins to help with traction. Im impressed with the lightness and will see if they stand up.

mtbr member
    What are peoples' thoughts on the new wave of nylon body pedals like the Nukeproof Electron EVO?

I need to buy a set of flat pedals since my brother is complaining of knee pain after going clipless and I'm not looking at spending again $150+ on something like the 3 sets of Point1 Podiums I had a few years before I too went clipless.

He's a smaller rider, so I'm definitely curious to try them out, under $50 from CRC. He previously loved his Kona Wah Wah and similar style HT platforms he ran.
    konahonzo

squish, squish in da fish
    those t-mac's look nice, but ime inserting pins from the top side is a no no. it's such a beotch to remove pins that you can't use an allen to remove because a rock smashed it to shyte

meow, meow.
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    What are peoples' thoughts on the new wave of nylon body pedals like the Nukeproof Electron EVO?
    I think this is way overpriced for plastic pedals, contrary to what the article says.. also not a fan of metal pins (especially so thin and sharp ones) in plastic bodies, but YMMV on this.
    26" rigid SS 4130 BB7 nylon-flats ESI latex-tubes non-lubricated-8spd

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Random Psycho View Post
    I think this is way overpriced for plastic pedals, contrary to what the article says.. also not a fan of metal pins (especially so thin and sharp ones) in plastic bodies, but YMMV on this.
    I'll report back. I just ordered the black ones from CRC. They seem on par with pricing like other HT nylon offerings and even Deity Compounds (but the updated Nukeproofs have more pins and a true concave design). As for the pins, they aren't threaded into the plastic bodies, they are held secure by a hex nut in the pin openings. I just wasn't finding anything close in terms of price I wanted to buy, new or used. Plus they are about 100g lighter than your basic HT Nano series pedal which I found on eBay for close to $80. I need something by next weekend and not looking to invest much now, who knows, maybe he'll stick to clipless lol. But so many offerings out these days, just prepare to pay $$$.
    konahonzo

I miss f88
    Quote Originally Posted by laxman2001 View Post
    Ya I know that now. But they were run hard enough that they deserved a rebuild anyway. And will be running hard on the DH bike for quite a while to come, I'd imagine.

Right now, I'm actually rocking a pair of the Nashbar flats I got from a buddy, and I have to say for a pedal you can get for $40 new they're not bad at all.
    So it's been a couple of months now, and have to say that I'm still a big fan of the Nashbars. For $45 I doubt you find a better pedal.
    Nashbar Verge Platform Pedals
    WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

They came in as expected. Crazy light and feel pretty solid. They make my Wellgo B219s feel like heavy pigs in comparison.

Seller: Wellgo B252 Mag Magnesium Mountain Bike Pedals | eBay

Wellgo B252 Mag 201g/pr according to Wellgo website.
    Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-20150421_072640-1.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    They came in as expected. Crazy light and feel pretty solid. They make my Wellgo B219s feel like heavy pigs in comparison.

Seller: Wellgo B252 Mag Magnesium Mountain Bike Pedals | eBay

Wellgo B252 Mag 201g/pr according to Wellgo website.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150421_072640-1.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	107.2 KB 
ID:	982744
    Thanks for the link. Got me some!

mtbr member
    ^ It's hard to tell, but from the pics it looks like the center is actually higher than the edges?

Quote Originally Posted by bprice2 View Post
    Thanks for the link. Got me some!
    My pleasure! I may have to order another pair. I put them on my girlfriend's Norco Fluid to test out her new sticky shoes and she loves the pedals and may not give them back. lol

Quote Originally Posted by D Bone View Post
    ^ It's hard to tell, but from the pics it looks like the center is actually higher than the edges?
    I thought the same thing but looking at them it didn't appear so. I'll double check tomorrow and post a new picture if needed. Here is side profile picture from Wellgo.

I did notice this pedal is missing pin locations near the spindle. The B219 has pins on either side of the spindle. I'm not sure how much of a difference this will make but I will test it out this weekend when I swap pedals around.

I anticipate the B219 to have better grip and be more durable but that is to be expect for a pedal that is twice the weight of the B252-MG.

mtbr member
    It would be great if you could get an actual weight on them. 201g sounds unrealistic, and the website mentions something about a Ti spindle version, which I would guess is the one that weighs 201g (maybe). But even at 250, which is what the EBay seller is claiming, that's really light.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    It would be great if you could get an actual weight on them. 201g sounds unrealistic, and the website mentions something about a Ti spindle version, which I would guess is the one that weighs 201g (maybe). But even at 250, which is what the EBay seller is claiming, that's really light.
    The weight claims sound reasonable to me. I ride a set of xpedo sprys. They also have a mag cage with cromo spindle and come in at 269gm

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy View Post
    The weight claims sound reasonable to me. I ride a set of xpedo sprys. They also have a mag cage with cromo spindle and come in at 269gm
    Yeah the Sprys are really light, and 201g is 25% lighter for the B252's. I doubt that unless it is the Ti spindle version.

Do you like them? I almost bought some off Ebay and the price went up 10 bucks when I added to cart. There's only 7 pins per side. Do they seem grippy enough?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwrinkle View Post
    those t-mac's look nice, but ime inserting pins from the top side is a no no. it's such a beotch to remove pins that you can't use an allen to remove because a rock smashed it to shyte
    I was just thinking about this. If you smash a top side pin, seems like you would still be able to get the pin out using some pliers or something like that. But if you smash a thru-pin, wouldn't you have to cut off the pin before unscrewing it? then you're dragging that destroyed piece through the threads on the pedal body. Am I thinking about it wrong?

mtbr member
    I was just thinking about this. If you smash a top side pin, seems like you would still be able to get the pin out using some pliers or something like that. But if you smash a thru-pin, wouldn't you have to cut off the pin before unscrewing it? then you're dragging that destroyed piece through the threads on the pedal body. Am I thinking about it wrong?
    I might be thinking about it wrong too, but I'm seeing 3 basic kinds of pins

1. Pins that have a hex base like the wellgo B252 picture that you install from the top and the hole usually goes through the pedal so you can see the bottom of the pin.
    2. Straight threaded pins with an allen head like a set screw. These are what Fish wrinkle is talking about I think, and they usually bottom out in a hole that doesn't go completely through the pedal (I think).
    3. A small allen head bolt that you thread through the back side of a pedal so the bolt head is under the platform and the shaft sticks up out of the platform. (See the Vault Picture on the last page.)

mtbr member
    So in the pictures below we have the type 2, 3, and 1 from top to bottom as I described them in my last post.

Type 1 is what most of my pedals have, and they work fine, with the only downside being that they are pedal specific type bolts you need to get from a bike parts supplier. Type 2 and 3 are metric bolts or set screws you can get at a hardware store.

I agree with Fishwrinkle that the type 2 set screws are probably the most likely to give you trouble removing if the end gets smashed, and since they go into closed holes (not through), that could be a problem if you needed to drill one out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-vp-pedal.jpg  

Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-vp-59b.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

meow, meow.
    A variation of type 3 is a bolt that has a smooth tip which is narrower than the bolt's threaded section. Only this tip protrudes above pedal body, so if it's damaged it's not going to ruin the thread in pedal body upon removal.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Well what I was getting at was I think the grub screw pins(the VP pedal) would be easier to remove if they were damaged. Although, probably not if sheared off.

Edit: I think hope has the best system. The pins screw into the pedal, but you do through the backside with an Allen.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-0014080_hope_f20_flat_pedals.jpeg  

mtbr member
    The platform looks pretty small to me.

meow, meow.
    I think hope has the best system. The pins screw into the pedal, but you do through the backside with an Allen.
    I tend to agree. This still fits in the type 3 variation that I described, but uses metal more efficiently: it goes to increase diameter of the threaded part, and not in the bolt head.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    The platform looks pretty small to me.
    They're supposed to be 108 x106. Crampon ultimates are claimed 105 x 105, Hopes are 110 x 105, so they seem to be "normal sized" which makes the weight pretty incredible.

I just ordered the Xpedo Spry which are 106 x100 and weigh 260. I'll be throwing them on the scale when I get them, but I've seen other posters say the weight is accurate.

mtbr member
    Well what I was getting at was I think the grub screw pins(the VP pedal) would be easier to remove if they were damaged. Although, probably not if sheared off.
    I understand what you are saying, but the thing is that those allen heads get smashed and dented in pretty easily, so even if the pin is in fine condition, an allen wrench won't fit in the head. In this case, it is not as easy as you think to turn them out with pliers.
    The best trick is to cut a slot in the top of the pin with a dremel, and use a flathead screwdriver to turn it. If its bent, that might not work. I've had some not so good results trying to drill them out or with a bolt extractor (pretty small pin, even for the smallest typical extractor).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Random Psycho View Post
    I tend to agree. This still fits in the type 3 variation that I described, but uses metal more efficiently: it goes to increase diameter of the threaded part, and not in the bolt head.
    Yeah those are pretty smart. And even though they are pedal specific type hardware, it looks like you could easily replace them with a hardware store bolt if you needed something quick.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I can't find info anywhere for what I'm looking for, so I'll ask here. I'm looking for some good platforms for my son's bike. A 16" Specialized Hotrock with 89mm Spawn cranks. I want something narrower for his little 4yo feet, and grippier than the cheap plastic ones I have laying around. I'm not sure I'll need to replace pins, but having the option to do so would be a huge bonus. All of my flats with cast in pins usually last a season at most before they stop gripping, I'm sure a little guy won't be wearing them out that fast though. Any suggestions for a narrow 9/16" flatform pedal?

meow, meow.
    slowride454, the likes of Tioga Surefoot 8 or Tioga spyder come to mind immediately. And a whole host of Taiwanese brand (Wellgo, HT etc) narrow pedals for commuting.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slowride454 View Post
    I can't find info anywhere for what I'm looking for, so I'll ask here. I'm looking for some good platforms for my son's bike. A 16" Specialized Hotrock with 89mm Spawn cranks. I want something narrower for his little 4yo feet, and grippier than the cheap plastic ones I have laying around. I'm not sure I'll need to replace pins, but having the option to do so would be a huge bonus. All of my flats with cast in pins usually last a season at most before they stop gripping, I'm sure a little guy won't be wearing them out that fast though. Any suggestions for a narrow 9/16" flatform pedal?

I really like the Wellgo C135. It's about 87x75 mm, so smaller than typical platforms, good grip, good quality, look nice, and about 50 bucks at Blue Sky. They're a little under 300 grams actual weight.

Maybe a little pricey for a kids 16" bike, but you can always transfer them as he upgrades. I've put a lot of miles on mine and they hold up well.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

They're supposed to be 108 x106. Crampon ultimates are claimed 105 x 105, Hopes are 110 x 105, so they seem to be "normal sized" which makes the weight pretty incredible.

I just ordered the Xpedo Spry which are 106 x100 and weigh 260. I'll be throwing them on the scale when I get them, but I've seen other posters say the weight is accurate.
    Aye, Wellgo lists them as 108 x 106. My B219s are 108.7 x 106.7 and they seem quite large. Because this is a downhill forum I would think the B219 would be better for sheer grip but if like me you have to do a ton of pedaling the B252-MG or Spry is a decent choice.

I'll check to see if my LBS has a scale. If so I will get a weight on both pedals on Tuesday when we pick up the boy's new bike.

mtbr member
    B252-MG - Wellgo

I'm very curious to see which weight is more truthful.
    125g/pedal would be right inline with Xpedo Spry, but $35-40 more. I'm not saying the pedals are equal in all respects because they weigh the same, but at 250g/pair these aren't revolutionary, especially for $90

103g/pedal (206/pr) would be amazingly light and IMO, on the verge of disposable a la AEST pedals. Magnesium and titanium isn't magically getting better str:wt-wise, so the difference between a 250g pair and a 200g pair has to be durability. There's definitely a niche for a weight-weenie platform, but I think you're gonna see some MTBR/Pinkbike posts of some B252's that look like stomped pepsi cans in the future.

mtbr member
    This thread astounds me! Lol.. For such a simple component its the highest volume thread in the DH section! Iove it!
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Rocket 88 Stage3
    '00 Homegrown

I swapped pedals with my girlfriend and rode the B252-MG yesterday and they are less grippy than the B219. The area causing the problem is near the spindle. As we feared, the height of the spindle and the lack of pins on either side are to blame. Still, they feel to be half the weight of the B219. I would still ride them if weight is a concern. They grip fine but if I was a crazy downhill rider I would use something with more pins. Weight isn't such a concern with that type of riding anyway. I'll get them weighed on Tuesday.

I'll keep them on my bike because I feel they grip well enough and I'd rather have the grippier/safer pedals on her bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shwinn8 View Post
    This thread astounds me! Lol.. For such a simple component its the highest volume thread in the DH section! Iove it!
    It's only the most important connection between you and your bike.

beater

Edit: I think hope has the best system. The pins screw into the pedal, but you do through the backside with an Allen.
    Canfield and twenty6 do the same thing. If a pin gets bent, you can push it forward from the reverse side. Although a twenty6 pin won't bend; it'll shear.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

LCW
    mtbr member

Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...

Rode the Vaults for the first time today... Awesome - love the platform size. Very smooth too.

EVIL Following

Surly Wednesday

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ARandomBiker View Post
    Picked up a set of Origin8 Ultim8 slimline platforms
    I know it's only been a week, but what are your thoughts after riding them?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by D Bone View Post
    I know it's only been a week, but what are your thoughts after riding them?
    I like 'em.
    Would definitely buy again.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ARandomBiker View Post
    I'm very curious to see which weight is more truthful.
    125g/pedal would be right inline with Xpedo Spry, but $35-40 more. I'm not saying the pedals are equal in all respects because they weigh the same, but at 250g/pair these aren't revolutionary, especially for $90

103g/pedal (206/pr) would be amazingly light and IMO, on the verge of disposable a la AEST pedals. Magnesium and titanium isn't magically getting better str:wt-wise, so the difference between a 250g pair and a 200g pair has to be durability. There's definitely a niche for a weight-weenie platform, but I think you're gonna see some MTBR/Pinkbike posts of some B252's that look like stomped pepsi cans in the future.
    Just got my B252's. My scale says 250g. My receipt says $67.05. That included free 2 day shipping. I'll report back after I get chance to ride on them.

mtbr member
    Anyone have any experience with Fire Eye Grill Pedals?

Fire Eye Grill Pedals | Chain Reaction Cycles

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bprice2 View Post
    Just got my B252's. My scale says 250g. My receipt says $67.05. That included free 2 day shipping. I'll report back after I get chance to ride on them.
    Got my first ride in with the Wellgo B252s - two thumbs up. I ride xc/trail and wear 5-10 Freeriders. My feet were totally glued. Actually, I never even thought about keeping my feet on the pedals. It just happened, which I guess is probably the best compliment.