Page 36 of 63 FirstFirst ... 26 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 46 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba13 View Post
    Grrr. Website store still says sold out on the bearing removal tool. Where did you find a number to call?

Thanks,
    Off the invoice that came with these. Luckily there was the same one listed on the Paypal invoice as well. Kinda how's there no number on their website anymore. But calling it didn't do me any good anyway, they never picked up or returned my messages.

Quote Originally Posted by gretch View Post
    Are you positive you need their special tool for this job? If so then here's an alternative source:

Point One Racing Podium Pedal Bearing Removal Tool | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com
    Bingo! That's where I bought mine and the pedals. But hurry, only 2 more bearing tools left in stock. No one in the USA had them in stock!!!

squish, squish in da fish
    i'd like to add something about the atomlab pimplite wrx. well they suck! just like their customer service. i had these pedals for 2 months and the DU bushing will never be in a pedal that i buy again. its been a month and atomlab is still dragging their feet. they dont even have bushings in stock! wtf they must be handing them out like candy. on the other hand Mark at UC said this is bs and is sending out some spank spikes. hey big shout out to Mark and Smitty at UC!! thats what customer service is all about. the email i got from AL basically said wait in line and no refunds. well just had to put that out there that the once stand up company (AL) is no more. so hacksaw over there at AL, put that in ur pipe and smoke it. have fun with my $120 cuz its the last $$$ u see from me, (expletive)! greed and karma are a *****

post #33 pics
    http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-componen...-783851-2.html

mtbr member
    May 2004

No good

Quote Originally Posted by fishwrinkle View Post
    i'd like to add something about the atomlab pimplite wrx. well they suck! just like their customer service. i had these pedals for 2 months and the DU bushing will never be in a pedal that i buy again. its been a month and atomlab is still dragging their feet. they dont even have bushings in stock! wtf they must be handing them out like candy. on the other hand Mark at UC said this is bs and is sending out some spank spikes. hey big shout out to Mark and Smitty at UC!! thats what customer service is all about. the email i got from AL basically said wait in line and no refunds. well just had to put that out there that the once stand up company (AL) is no more. so hacksaw over there at AL, put that in ur pipe and smoke it. have fun with my $120 cuz its the last $$$ u see from me, (expletive)! greed and karma are a *****

post #33 pics
    http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-componen...-783851-2.html
    I'm not so emotional about this, but my experience was the same. My DUs were toast after 8 rides (12mi each ish). This resulted in about 3mm of side-to-side play.
    They sent me mo' spacers to fill the gap. Bad design on this one, fellas.

squish, squish in da fish
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero View Post
    They sent me mo' spacers to fill the gap. Bad design on this one, fellas.
    oh thats a nice band-aid solution. they need to buck up and start giving $ back whether its cash or in store credit. like i said karmas a *****

i usually dont make a big stink of things, but im done with companies everywhere just crapping on their customers. it dont matter if its pedals or a car, take care of it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Rode some old Crank Bros 50/50 in the rain today @ Duthie. Didn't expect much because they don't look too grippy, but my Straitlines were on a bike that's out for work...

To me, CB is more of a marketing / image company, but I have to say the pedals worked quite well with my 5.10s, no complaints. It's actually easier to reposition feet if needed, with the Straitlines this may a challenge

Before anyone gets worked up - I don't think that the 50/50s are the best flat at all - just that they may work OK

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by lernr View Post
    Rode some old Crank Bros 50/50 in the rain today @ Duthie. Didn't expect much because they don't look too grippy, but my Straitlines were on a bike that's out for work...

To me, CB is more of a marketing / image company, but I have to say the pedals worked quite well with my 5.10s, no complaints. It's actually easier to reposition feet if needed, with the Straitlines this may a challenge

Before anyone gets worked up - I don't think that the 50/50s are the best flat at all - just that they may work OK
    I've never ridden a "bad" pedal while wearing my 5.10s

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    In between the vp-69, kona wah wah's (where can you buy them?) , and saints right now. I wear size 12.5 510's. Mostly all mountain, with lots of pedal bashing (hence, in the downhill thread). Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scurry4 View Post
    In between the vp-69, kona wah wah's (where can you buy them?) , and saints right now. I wear size 12.5 510's. Mostly all mountain, with lots of pedal bashing (hence, in the downhill thread). Thoughts?
    IMO the Saint are too thick of a pedal to be considered among the other players in the market. I've had good experience with the Kona Wah Wah (cheap and durable), BUT the stock pins were fairly lacking in length, but that's a cheap and quick fix to the hardware store.

With longer pins, the grip was super nice on them. And be warned, the white powdercoat finish chips easily. If I was buying again, I would get the graphite ones.

Also a similar pedal in this price range is the Forte Convert (even cheaper), also owned a pair before. And quite durable, similar feel to the Wah Wah, I'd say even better grip once I replaced with longer pins as well. Also they looked much better after a season's use, as they weren't powdercoated but anodized in that grey/silver finish (which never really matched anything lol).

In terms of fit for your shoe size, I wear a size Vans 12 for biking, and the Converts had a better platform for me, slightly bigger than the Wah Wahs. But if you're willing to spend a bit more, I'm in love with my Point1 Podiums as well. From everything I've tried, they are the best, except price is killer, and in my freak case, the right pedal didn't even last a full season of riding. But in terms of grip, platform size, thickness, and overall feel and look, I would buy them over and over again.

For the Wah Wahs

Kona WAh Wah Pedal (OEM) - Wheel World Bike Shops - Road Bikes, Mountain Bikes, Bicycle Parts and Accessories. Parts & Bike Closeouts!

Kona Wah Wah Platform Pedals 100024964 at CambriaBike.com

Converts

Forté Convert Platform Pedals -

mtbr member
    Guy I need an opinion.

Superstar Nano Tech Thru-pins vs Saints?

Usage is enduro/all mountain.

I was going to go with the Saints, but then I read this review and now I'm in doubt again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drakche View Post

I was going to go with the Saints, but then I read this review and now I'm in doubt again.
    What are your doubts?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    IMO the Saint are too thick of a pedal to be considered among the other players in the market. [/url]
    To be fair they're really not THAT thick. IMO the ability for a pedal to deflect rocks is much more important, and the Saints do a great job at that. Better than the stock specialized Bennies from the Demo. Also, the beefy build ensures that the pedal won't end up like this:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by howardyudoing View Post
    What are your doubts?
    Serviceability, and bearing durability. For the superstar all the rebuild part can be found on their site + they use an m10 screws, so if I end up ripping them out I have a ghetto fix at hand. Although the Saint's looks, they are a perfect mach with SLX double crank-set, but the durability concerns me, I know that shimano pedal's are the easiest to service, but what if I need to get a replace spindle, I haven't seen any shimano pedal spares. Not even pin replacements.

mtbr member
    Serviceability, and bearing durability. For the superstar all the rebuild part can be found on their site + they use an m10 screws, so if I end up ripping them out I have a ghetto fix at hand. Although the Saint's looks, they are a perfect mach with SLX double crank-set, but the durability concerns me, I know that shimano pedal's are the easiest to service, but what if I need to get a replace spindle, I haven't seen any shimano pedal spares. Not even pin replacements.

they are plenty strong. My bike has tumbled down mountain sides and rock gardens, and all I can say is that my truvativ cranks loosened before any damage was done to my pedals. They've also endured plenty of pedal strikes, maybe 1 or two of the pins have been slightly shaven, but none have bent. As for maintenance, the way the bearing and axle are sealed within the body, they aren't exposed to many elements; I just lube them every so often and they spin fine.

They're not the lightest or the prettiest, but at the price they can be bought, they are well worth it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yardstick View Post
    Here's a good size comparison of various pedals. Thanks Yardstick.

mtbr member
    Can you tell me, if it's able to use pins from other pedals or regular screws. Are the threads universal? I know about the shimano greasing process, that's why I said that they are easier to maintain. As for the looks, I really like them. One of the coolest looking pedals IMO. And the size isn't a problem. I wear 45 size shoes with pretty long an narrow feet, so bigger pedals are a must. The price is a huge +, since I can get them for around 45-50 euros. Just I cant find any proper reviews or replacement parts.

mtbr member
    Can you tell me, if it's able to use pins from other pedals or regular screws. Are the threads universal?
    That, I am not sure of. from the above picture, it looks like there's a pin from the straitline pedals. I'm sure something will fit. Maybe someone else can chime in.

mtbr member

mtbr member

Back in stock in all colors of the rainbow!

mtbr member
    Can you tell me, if it's able to use pins from other pedals or regular screws. Are the threads universal? I know about the shimano greasing process, that's why I said that they are easier to maintain. As for the looks, I really like them. One of the coolest looking pedals IMO. And the size isn't a problem. I wear 45 size shoes with pretty long an narrow feet, so bigger pedals are a must. The price is a huge +, since I can get them for around 45-50 euros. Just I cant find any proper reviews or replacement parts.
    The threads in the Saints are pretty common. You should be able to replace the pins with standard fasteners as necessary. Straitline pins seem to fit the threads but the SL pins have a taper on the side that contacts the pedal that doesn't let them thread in all the way easily. I'm sure they could be forced in. The pins that come with the Saints are funny because they neck down to a smaller diameter on the end that contacts your shoe. I can think of a couple of reasons they did that, but I'm not sure I like it. They dig in to shoes and stick pretty well but they are sharp and really seem to puncture the shoe (I'm using 5.10 Freeriders and they have holes in the bottom in less than a year of use). So far I have smashed two pairs of Saints into lots of rocks in the AZ desert with only some shallow scratches to show for it. The pins are placed well and I haven't managed to bend or break one yet.

mtbr member
    Thanks yardstick. That kinda info I was looking for.!

metrotuned WoS

Hope Thin Pedal platforms with bulky external bearings = FAIL

Tioga, really? What essentially should be a solution of going from 175mm cranks to 172.5 cranks to avoid pedal strikes, was viewed as, let's make the thinnest pedals out there at the compromise of adding to the Q-factor. Interestingly, Tioga claims these are NOT for downhill use while Flypaper 2009 claims their pedals were safe for downhill conditions even though they were 3mm thinner and 100g lighter.

From Pinkbike: The feel is akin to being forced to walk with your feet ten inches further apart than you usually would, despite the difference being measured in millimeters.

And add to that 480g? That's the same weight as Shimano Saint DH pedals. Which would you trust upon making impacts with off road obstacles?

Tioga MT-Zero Pedals (480 grams, 7mm thick - stock photo)

Flypaper Pedals (351 grams, 4mm thick, require custom crank modifications - photo by Bike magazine)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-flypaper-pedals-bikemag-2009.jpg  

Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-tioga-mt-zero-bs-pedals.jpg  

#willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I have a pair of the CB 5050 3's. They are on my SS rigid and work well, I wouldnt trust them on a DH/FR rig. The fact you need loctite 380/401 for the pins is irritating. If I had checked this thread beforehand I would have gone with something else.

Looking at building up a FS this winter and have narrowed it down to:
    Saints
    Hope F20
    Canfield Crampon Ultimate
    Straightline AMP

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Word of advice: I have both Straitline pedals, use AMP on xc / commuter and prefer the beefier de Facto for FR + DH because they have better grip.

The AMPs only have pins around the perimeter, I would prefer if they had a couple in the middle / on the spindle.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Heads-up - Point One Podium pedals on black friday sale until Monday for 30% off of $179 = $125 + shipping. Great deal on a great pedal. I just picked up a spare pair. Go to the newsfeed link at pointoneracing dot com for the promo code, then use it in their store.

mtbr member
    ^ How much was standard shipping? Quite the deal, I paid $150 for mine last week from CRC.

Page 36 of 63 FirstFirst ... 26 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 46 ... LastLast