Page 35 of 64 FirstFirst ... 25 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 45 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Is there anything under $50 anyone could recommend?

FX4
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Wellgo MG-1 at that price point.

beater
    The Crampon Ultimates are convex by design. It takes a little readjustment in your thinking to appreciate why that's a good thing after years of thinking "convex" but your foot flexes over the pedal rather than flexing into the pedal. That works better with a heels-down foot position, too. It feels natural, and grips well. It also means that the spindle is now the thickest part of the pedal body, allowing a thinner pedal and a thinner leading/trailing edge. They're strong; I've beat on mine pretty well.

I think we'll start seeing other pedals copying the convex design in a year or two when people realize how well it works.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    So an update to my Point1 Podiums that were purchased direct from them back in April 2012. Fast forward to a late spring-summer season of riding, and I'm quite shock with the findings last night. First off, these have the best feel (awesome grip) and platform size for me (and I've tried many pedals, HT AE-01 EVO, HT Nanos, Kona Wah Wahs) but none crapped out so quickly as the Podiums.

For the past few rides I've been trying to find what was creaking in my BB and started tearing apart BB, cranks, etc. and lubing stuff up. Even went as far as trying out a brand new Saint BB and the creaking was still there. I kept overlooking the pedals as they spun normally, no resistance, or play (and expected no problems so soon for $180 pedals), but ended up taking them apart completely last night.

Left pedal looked fine, the right pedal not so much (where I was confident the creaking was coming from the drive side of my drivetrain). The smallest bearing cartridge near the end of the axle has completely shattered apart. The inside metal covering (what rests on the axle) has completely broken off in pieces and leaving the bearings exposed, with a few falling out right away.

I don't know what to think about this as I've read people abusing these for DH season after season with zero problems, and I'm stuck with $180 pedals needing a complete rebuild in less than 6 months of Midwest singletrack riding.

I'm going to try to get in contact with Point1 about possible warranty on these, but for sure I'll be stocking up on spare bearings for these as I love the pedals!!! And simply write this off as my luck for happening lol.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post

For the past few rides I've been trying to find what was creaking in my BB and started tearing apart BB, cranks, etc. and lubing stuff up. Even went as far as trying out a brand new Saint BB and the creaking was still there. I kept overlooking the pedals as they spun normally, no resistance, or play (and expected no problems so soon for $180 pedals), but ended up taking them apart completely last night.

Left pedal looked fine, the right pedal not so much (where I was confident the creaking was coming from the drive side of my drivetrain). The smallest bearing cartridge near the end of the axle has completely shattered apart. The inside metal covering (what rests on the axle) has completely broken off in pieces and leaving the bearings exposed, with a few falling out right away.

I don't know what to think about this as I've read people abusing these for DH season after season with zero problems, and I'm stuck with $180 pedals needing a complete rebuild in less than 6 months of Midwest singletrack riding.

I'm going to try to get in contact with Point1 about possible warranty on these, but for sure I'll be stocking up on spare bearings for these as I love the pedals!!! And simply write this off as my luck for happening lol.
    Good luck getting in touch with Point1. They don't even reply to requests from the bike shops that are dealers for them! I like the pedals too but no customer service has me keeping an eye open for new options.

I have two sets of their pedals and really like them. I was thinking about buying a 3rd set of Point1's but not willing to do that now. Also have a rebuild kit but do not have the special tool to remove the bearings. They are out of stock on the tool and no clue when they will be available again.

Side note on pedal noise from Point1's. I noticed some creaking when pedaling hard that sounded like it was coming from the BB or chain rings. It ended up being the pedal threads to the crank arms. Solved the creaking by cleaning the threads and installing pedals with blue Locktite.
    Portland Off Road Navagators

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jdhunt0 View Post
    Is there anything under $50 anyone could recommend?
    Bi King HT AX01 MTB BMX Pedals White 363G | eBay

If that link stops working, just search ebay for "ht pedals" or "ht ax01" and you'll find more. They're available in lots of other colors too.

I have a set, and while I admit to being a really curious about all the new super-thin pedals, I am still happy with these. The thickness is just average. The length and width are a little bit small, but I really like the way they feel, because it means no pin ever goes unused. And it's always very obvious from the feel just exactly where my foot is on the pedal. Now my other bike's pedal feel bulky by comparison.

For $40 you can't really go wrong with those.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I did my first upgrade to my new bike today. I put a set of the CYCLETRACK CK068s on my Felt. I have nothing to compare them to except for the stockers, but I'm happy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-2012-11-05-17.53.38-copy.jpg  

meow, meow.
    They look okay. Responsibly lightweight profiles and pins that spare soles, shins/calves, and pedal bodies.
    26" faithful.

mtbr member
    Can someone help with the dimensions. Is the first number length of the pedal, as in parallel to the foot - I have size 13 feet - need a longer pedal. Which one of these is a longer pedal, I cannot tell from the picture.

VP VICE 105 x 105 x 17mm platform

vs. VP 001 112 x 97 x 16mm platform

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    You need Spank Spikes. They're HUGE!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DFYFZX View Post
    You need Spank Spikes. They're HUGE!!!
    From the reviews I read most of the really thin pedals ones 12-13mm don't spin very well. That includes Spank Spikes, Cramptons, etc. Plus they cost $100 plus...

I need them for more XC, lots of climbing than DH.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Help me decide between the Wellgo MG-1 ($40) and the B124.($60).

I dont mind coughing up the $20 but is it worth it? Ive seen plenty of good reviews for the MG-1 but nothing for the B124. Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyCapps View Post
    Help me decide between the Wellgo MG-1 ($40) and the B124.($60).

I dont mind coughing up the $20 but is it worth it? Ive seen plenty of good reviews for the MG-1 but nothing for the B124. Thanks
    Eat Ramen for a few days and cough a little harder to get Saints for $80. It's worth it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    that would effectively add weight to my bike. They better be durable lol. I sure like the looks though. Hmm

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyCapps View Post
    that would effectively add weight to my bike. They better be durable lol. I sure like the looks though. Hmm
    Definitely more durable than the MG1s. Those are soft pedals. Saints have been really tough for me so far. I'm always surprised to hardly see marks after I grind them into rocks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    Can someone help with the dimensions. Is the first number length of the pedal, as in parallel to the foot - I have size 13 feet - need a longer pedal. Which one of these is a longer pedal, I cannot tell from the picture.

VP VICE 105 x 105 x 17mm platform

vs. VP 001 112 x 97 x 16mm platform
    [/IMG]
    I'd say the 001 ones are wider, they look also shorter length wise so I'd say first number indicates the width, second length and third how fat/thin they are.

I've got a pair of Nukeproof Proton Ti/Mag pedals, have been extremely happy with them, weigh only 294g too, which is nice. Dimension are 95mm x 95mm x 17mm

Before these, I had a pair of NS Bikes sealed Aerials, those things were bombproof, had them one year, which included rides in under -30 degrees celsius, never serviced them (until now when I'm selling them with my bike) and yet they never let me down.
    2011 Custom Transition TR250

meow, meow.
    Aerials (the better ones) are very good pedals indeed. I was surprised to their clean insides after about 1.5 years riding them without maintenance (including sub-freezing temperatures down to -28 C).
    26" faithful.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I just went to Crampon Ultimates from my old stand by Kona Wah Wah's. I had tried some NRG pedals and took them off after a week of using them since they did not feel good at all and did not seem to have the traction of the Wah Wahs. I have tried various other pedals for a day but none felt as good as the Wah Wah until now.

The Crampon Ultmates have better traction then the Wah Wahs, feel better under the feet which is something I never thought I would say about a convex/flat pedal. I also like the fact they are 150 grams lighter then the Wah Wahs not that it maters really but hey I will take it.

mtbr member
    we should subdivide these pedals by price point.

metrotuned WoS
    If you're up for it, categorize by US made, foreign made, sub $50, sub $100 and over $100. You could go as far as DU bushing, sealed, loose bearings. Even platform heights. The best thing for this thread are photos, descriptive real-use feedback.
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

meow, meow.
    Hope F20 are out. I wonder if the axles are Taiwan made, because they look somehow familiar..
    26" faithful.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Yardstick View Post
    Definitely more durable than the MG1s. Those are soft pedals. Saints have been really tough for me so far. I'm always surprised to hardly see marks after I grind them into rocks.
    Well I ordered a set cuz I've only found 1 instance where a guy had a bearing fail. I suppose I could always remove a lil material if the weight bothers me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba13 View Post
    Good luck getting in touch with Point1.
    Tell me about it lol! I was finally able to track them down after numerous calls and emails left. While they were hard to reach, they quickly instructed me to ship my pedals back to them and they will fully be rebuilt under warranty for me. Not bad at all.

But in the meantime, so I'm not stuck without pedals in the future, ordered another set and the coveted bearing removal tool as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Tell me about it lol! I was finally able to track them down after numerous calls and emails left. While they were hard to reach, they quickly instructed me to ship my pedals back to them and they will fully be rebuilt under warranty for me. Not bad at all.

But in the meantime, so I'm not stuck without pedals in the future, ordered another set and the coveted bearing removal tool as well.

Grrr. Website store still says sold out on the bearing removal tool. Where did you find a number to call?

Thanks,
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba13 View Post
    Grrr. Website store still says sold out on the bearing removal tool. Where did you find a number to call?

Thanks,
    Are you positive you need their special tool for this job? If so then here's an alternative source:

Point One Racing Podium Pedal Bearing Removal Tool | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

Page 35 of 64 FirstFirst ... 25 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 45 ... LastLast