Page 35 of 43 FirstFirst ... 25313233343536373839 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,750 of 2119
    Finally!

Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...

Quote Originally Posted by mmicky5050 View Post
    is this a joke? we saved the world from you sorry Jap murderous genocidal maniacs. You welcome.
    You are the joke. Hahahaha

meow, meow.
    mmicky5050, this has suddenly become horrible beyond imagination.. please stop it..
    26" rigid SS 4130 BB7 nylon-flats ESI latex-tubes non-lubricated-8spd

Finally!

is this a joke? we saved the world from you sorry Jap murderous genocidal maniacs. You welcome.
    Your ignorance is unfathomable. First off I am Canadian. Secondly you obviously learned history from Hollywood. Lastly your a racist prick and obviously know nothing about the Japanese people who apparently are a lot more knowledgeable about you than you are about them. Get off your high horse and try reading a book or two. You truly suck balls :-(

Finally!

would you like to ask the Chinese, South East Asians and the families of Pearl Harbor about how nice the Japanese are? Don't further diminish the Crampons by siding with the f-ing Japs. Its an American company. If it was Japanese I wouldn't be wasting my time here.

Vietnam, while a mistake, has been atoned for. Our role in propping up Vietnam's economy is well known. Besides, had Vietnam not happened, I would argue democracy would not have taken root in South East Asia. Ask Singapore, South Korea, Malaysia etc - we saved them from the f-ing Communists. Look at the results. Its a prosperous region because of America.

What have you canadians ever given to the world? You are still slaves to the dumb Brits. Go bow down to your queen.
    You truly know nothing. At all. You can sure tell you are young and stupid learning fro movies. You know nothing about history, Canadians, Japanese or even American history. Your ignorance about everything is truly astounding. How to you even know how to brush your teeth. Moron.

Finally!

Dude this is waste of my time and neuronal activity. Were it not for USA, your sorry ass would be either under Nazi, Japanese or Russian rule.

Peace and out.
    Watched saving private ryan lately. Ask the Germans who they hated to fight...just ask one.... nevermind you are to stupid to understand and to short sighted to learn anything...even about pedals :-)

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    my grandpa shot down 36 japanese zeroes. you weren't even born. stop saying we and stop talking about things you do not understand

mtbr member
    can we keep the discussion to pedals, before this thread gets locked?

Right now you both look f $%ing stupid.

Finally!

Quote Originally Posted by ARandomBiker View Post
    can we keep the discussion to pedals, before this thread gets locked?

Right now you both look f $%ing stupid.
    Agreed I am done.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    the russians were winning by the time the US landed in africa, thats before italy, thats before france. shut up. and the japanese didn't do anything too ratical, we put all of them in detention camps, we nuked them, and we fire bombed them into the stone age. they've already paid many times over for their crimes, however small they were. yeah, i don't buy japanese vehicles simply because I don't like their vehicles.

Stop annoying people. go away. you've only proved yourself an idiot

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I will never drive a car built by a company that helped the Japs commit genocide. You must be joking. F off.

First, you shmucks didn't even believe that bushings offer higher resistance. After I posted the friction of coefficient readings, its still falling on dumb ears. The calculations for time lost are fairly easy btw

will post later man...dont worry
    You posted a single number, the coefficient, you didn't prove squat as to what that number actually translates to while pedaling. That the problem with idoits like you, you watch a video, read a fes specs you don't comprehend and make broad ignorant assumptions based on that.

Please post back when you're trying to figure out why that nice thick bearing pedal keep trying to roll under your foot.
    Tantrum incoming
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    I did the calculations for you. You can easily estimate the time lost based on the fact that you need at least 5 times more force to pedal a bushing than a bearing. Or would you like me to do those calculations for you? the one good thing about maths and physics is that it doesn't rely on conjecture.

Quote Originally Posted by cerebroside View Post
    You should post your working, I could do with a laugh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Terranaut View Post
    Please post the math. If it truly adds to the bushings vs bearings debate then post up. Facts beat slags 100% of the time.

It's unanimous. Lets see the math.
    (You obviously don't have clue of even where to start, but if you want a hint, just ask).

mtbr member

Peace and I am out.
    Quote Originally Posted by mmicky5050

Peace and out.
    i am out mate.

dude i am out.
    Well?

(Don't forget to post your calculations first)

mtbr member
    The virus has been eradicated

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    The virus has been eradicated
    don't Jinx it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    i've looked through several of these pages looking for pedal reviews and finally got some. i paid way more than i wanted but wound up getting the Canfield Crampon Ultimates, based on the constant good comments….it seems one guy thinks they are crap. just got them today. very solid, very light, very ,very thin, look awesome. grip was really good on test ride, even with worn out sneakers, but it was easy enough to reposition my foot w/o having to pick my foot up off of the pedal because of the shape.felt very smooth and natural.

to follow up on what smilinsteve said, albeit in layman terms, the pedals require no perceivable force to turn. i did the spin test on the bike and they made about 2 revolutions and stopped. they don't spin forever like bearing pedals (new out of box, no break in). when i got on the bike and did a test ride it simply took zero effort to move it around. the pedals move freely and smoothly. there was no drag, even with no load. the concern over bushings is a non-issue. they probably last longer and require less maintenance. bearings, in this application, just may not be necessary and they add weight.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ali Ali View Post
    aww you guys got me banned. What morons. Who cares? As promised here is the calculation and after don't bother me. imbeciles...
    Didn't stick around highschool long enough for angular, huh? Well I suppose it is still analogous.

Of course, the greater problem is that none of what you wrote answers anything about the question you were meant to be answering.

Edit: If I get bored I will go through your working later, but I have valentines day stuff to do. In the meantime you could perhaps explain why the combined rider and bike weight (of 12 kg? I assume on each bearing) is used. Perhaps the rider is carrying another bike on his or her back?

mtbr member
    Ummm. I'll be the first to admit I am a moron who hasn't done any physics for 20+ years, but what you seem to show here is that it would take 100s and 12s respectively for your mass to come to sliding stop from a 5 m/s starting velocity. In other words if I ran and jumped onto a bushing and skated it across a surface I would stop in 12 seconds. If I did the same with a bearing it would take me 100 seconds. Interesting, but not really the problem you said you would present.

By the way, the coefficients of friction that I can find for bushings range from 0.08 to 0.2.

I think the question was how much time does the friction of pedal bushing or bearing add to a certain distance.

Turns out people have been measuring wattage losses to pedals. Best/worst comparison is 1 watt of difference. So if we say Canfield's are the worst and some other pedal is the best how much time is that?

There is a calculator that will let you do all sorts of fun things like put in how much wind resistance you generate from your shape, weight of bike, weight of rider, efficiency losses from drive train. Link. If I put in, say 277 watts (a figure I got from a recent climb on a ride). I get 37.72 km/h (this is for a flat surface). If I say that was the worst pedals (the Canfields) and pretend I switched to the best pedals, I get 278 watts of power and 37.77 km/h.

So for one km I get the following times:

95.44s
    95.31s

So there is clearly a difference. 13 seconds over 100 kilometers. But it is not something I am going to sweat about.
    2014 Devinci Troy Carbon XP

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    "You guys got me banned..." And then more name-calling.
    Somebody has trouble figuring out cause and effect.

mtbr member

Budnitz pedal

Guaranteed Budnitz has checked out your thoughts and feedback in this platform pedal shootout thread! Budnitz is one of the most shameless in the game at copying something and then rebranding as he made it. e.g. Black Sheep Bikes x Budnitz Bikes e.g. Facebook x Ello e.g. Wellgo Pedal x Budnitz Pedal.

Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-budnitz-pedal.jpg

"We designed our platform pedals to be the ultimate in comfort and performance. CNC machined out of a single block of aluminum with a gentle curve and adjustable pins, they give a great grip in all conditions. A slim profile leaves plenty of room for curbs on the street and the roots, rocks and gravel of trails." $90 for crmo $180 for titanium.

Thoughts welcome!
    Lead actor Will of the Sun, Author Platform Pedal Shootout 900K+ views

lives to ride
    Feb 2005
    I hate to derail this thread by talking about pedals but I haven't seen anyone mention the Spank Oozy's yet..

I've been using them on my trail bike for about 6 months now and I'd feel confident using them on my DH bike too.
    Last edited by jasevr4; 02-26-2015 at 11:58 AM.

No Clue Crew
    The Oozys are a little newer so maybe that's why. My understanding, and you can kinda tell just from looking at them, is they are a weight weenie version of the Spank which I use and would be hard pressed to buy a different pair I love them so much. I've been beating the sh|t out of them for nearly three years and have replaced exactly TWO pins so their pins are fabulous.

I'd be totally confident with the Oozy.

I guess the real question is do they have bearings or bushings? I'm lead to believe that makes a difference in whether or not they are usable or completely worthless and possibly a contributing factor of your impending death.

I miss f88
    So I know I've seen them mentioned, but who's run Deity Skyscrapers?
    WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

lives to ride
    Feb 2005
    Bearing and bushings big0mike. Same as the Spikes

meow, meow.
    Essentially Spikes with more metal machined off the bodies?

Edit: oh I've been ninjaed for it, should update page more often..

lives to ride
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Random Psycho View Post
    Essentially Spikes with more metal machined off the bodies?

Edit: oh I've been ninjaed for it, should update page more often..
    hahaha. Yeah essentially lighter Spikes. I believe there's a Spike redesign coming too...

mtbr member
    If you have large feet, check out the VP Harriers. They're wide and light with good grip. Here's a shot with my size 14 Five Tens.Name:  VP Harrier.jpg
Views: 2294
Size:  42.1 KB

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I was actually getting ready to ask a question about those. I wonder how they fit someone with some size 10 fivetens.

mtbr member
    To get the best idea, try putting a ruler up to your shoe. The pedal is 120mm wide.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Terranaut View Post
    If you remove all of the slaging from the posts there is a debate there. Some good points brought up about the positives and negatives of each. Seems to me this could have been a meaningful discussion but due to it being started off with negative comment it escaladed to personal vendettas and the real important information was lost. Too bad. Could have been a good discussion. Someone shopping for flats is who suffers the loss of information buried within.
    well Terranaut that would be me came here to get info on flats as im switching to flats on my trail bike (learning to jump & drops) but tuned into what appears to be a sibling arguing match ............DAM TIME WASTED .GUESS I'LL LOOK SOMEWHERE ELSE.......some of you folks need to grow up , none of us are/you are guru to this mtb thing or you would't be here ,you'd be buIlding additional bikes for the market. information is information reguardless where it comes from we can all learn something new DAM!!!!!!
    Ride hard everytime....or take up hiking...........lol

meow, meow.
    DMR V6. Have these been mentioned already?

Low, doubly concave profile. Claimed to run on DU bushings only, non-serviceable (good for such type of pedals).

What I'm not sure about are: (1) the thin pins that will shear off fast (though their thick bases with some remnant of tall section in center will remain and provide some traction) and (2) wrench flats going all the way to axle face that contacts crank. Use pedal washers with these.

mtbr member
    My new Chromag Scarabs will be here Friday to replace my Spank Spikes that I am not 100% happy with the bite of. The Spanks replaced Race Face Atlas pedals that developed un-fixable side-to-side play in under a year.

The RFs had crazy amounts amounts of grip, but proved to be problematic. The Spanks have been bullet proof, but lack the tenacious that I got used to...... Hopefully the Scarabs will have the best of both of them.

mtbr member
    Does anyone have any info on Wellgo MG-5's or MG-6's?
    I couldn't find anything about either in this thread, or any other, They look nice, and are $40-45, but has anyone ridden them? Are they even real Wellgo's?
    The only place I can find them is Amazon and eBay, which seems odd to me. MG-1s are so easily found all over the 'net. Seems suspicious to me, but I can't figure out why/how they're counterfeited.
    MG-5'sAmazon.com : Wellgo MG-5 Magnesium BMX Mountain Bike Pedals Gold : Sports & Outdoors

MG-6
    WELLGO MG6 MTB BMX Downhill DH Magnesium Sealed Bearing Pedals Gray Bicycle Parts New 7 colors-in Bicycle Pedal from Sports & Entertainment on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

I love the grip of my Straitline DeFactos, and they've proven to be bombproof, but they're kinda thick, and they're bricks weighing something obscene like 520g.
    I'd like to get a pedal that is both thinner and lighter, as I could easily drop 1/2 lb and increase stability.
    Both the above pedals are advertised at 300g/pr.

Brand Ambassador Moderator
    I recently bought the Wellgo B219 for my Sight. They are not featherweights nor are they bricks (415g/pr) but the price was right ($49) and they grip well even with my Vans. I can only imagine how a pair of Five Tens would stick.

mtbr member
    Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-weight.jpg

Just finished up my Review of the Specialized Boomslang Pedal. Check it out:

All Mountain Next: Review: Specialized Boomslang Flat Pedal

mtbr member
    I have three sets of crampons, and just got a pair of hope's f20 pedals (yet to get ride time on them). Love canfield products for my AM bikes.

I have a set of crampons on my commuter (surly cc) which I put 700 miles a month, so far have been having an issue with pedal play with the busing design. I do take my surly on single track from time to time since I pass by several trails in my commute. I was thinking of a pedal that actually has a bearing instead the the du bushing design would hold up a little better.

What's the best in terms of long mileage use?

I miss f88
    New deity bladerunners look nice.
    WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

mtbr member
    Yea they do

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I'll just go ahead and post the link about the Bladerunners here:
    First Look: Deity Bladerunner Pedal - Pinkbike

Unfortunately too expensive for my wallet. I've been very happy with my Moove Torque pedals. Very basic and get the job done for me. I'll probably sell off my Saint pedals and grab another set of the Torques.

-joel

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jojotherider View Post
    Unfortunately too expensive for my wallet. I've been very happy with my Moove Torque pedals. Very basic and get the job done for me. I'll probably sell off my Saint pedals and grab another set of the Torques.

-joel
    Can you do me a quick favor, can you measure how far the Torques stick out from the crank arm face, preferably in mm? I like a wider stance than some, and the Torques may fit the bill, if they give me enough room of off the crank arms.

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Measured the exposed axle from the face of the crank arm and its 4 1/4". I measured my set of Saint pedals and they are 4 3/4" from the crank arm. That was actually one of the reasons I picked up the Saints. Pretty wide stance and I also got a really good deal on them. The only thing I don't like about them though is that the pedal body feels kind of small compared to the Torques.

Another good wide stance option you should check out is the Deity Decoys or Deity Compounds. I used to have a set of the Decoys and they felt like a nice wide stance. Also the pins were super sharp and grippy. I'd get cuts from the pedals if I was pushing my bike and just brushed against them. I'm not sure if that was a good thing or not. I remembered I have a set of the Compounds while I was writing this and measured them also. They are 4 1/2" from the crank arm to the pedal edge. I didn't really like how they felt underfoot so I pulled them off. I might try them again though for funsies.

Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Awesome! Thanks for your time and effort! I am awaiting delivery today of a set of Chromag Scarabs that I hope fill my needs. According to what I read, they are only 4mm less wide than the Saints, but that is 10mm wider than my current set of Spank Spikes.

If they aren't what I hoped, I may send them back and get a set of Mooves. I'll update later for those who are curious..... Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Wow, These Chromag Scarabs are ridiculous in terms of grip. Before I installed them, I removed all of the factory installed washers from the pins and re-installed them in their factory position . I also added the 2 pins per side that are in the middle of the pedal, for a total of 11 pins per side for max grip. In this config, they weighed 439g on my scale, while the Spank Spikes with all pins installed weighed 438g on the same scale.

On a scale of 1-10 regarding grip, I would give the Spikes a 7, the Race Face Atlas an 8.5 and the Chromags get an easy 10....... However:

The reduced pedal platform compared to the Spikes turned out to be a deal breaker for me. It is only a handful of mm's in every direction, but it's enough to be uncomfortable to me, and that (to me) is worse than ultimate grip. Maybe if I had never ridden the Spikes, then I would've just 'gotten used to it', but I have ridden the Spikes.

So the Spikes win in a split decision.

Pics:

Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-1-min.jpg

Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-2-min.jpg

Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-3-min.jpg

Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-4-min.jpg
    Last edited by D Bone; 04-11-2015 at 10:28 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Those look awesome. Maybe I'll have to buck up and pay for some fancy pedals.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I just got my Scarab today too. Really like them, comparing to what else i have tried: Amps, De factos, e.13 only wish they were lighter

mtbr member
    Just got back from a ride, and the grip was incredible, but the slightly smaller (from front wheel to back wheel) platform compared to the Spikes had me a little uncomfortable. Riding in the morning, I hope I get used to it.

EDIT: Another ride, and no I won't get used to it. I edited my first post.
    Last edited by D Bone; 04-11-2015 at 10:29 AM.

mtbr member
    Blaaades!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-deity-bladerunner-5.jpg  

"There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

J:
    mbtr memebr
    Do the spank or blades have wrench flats by chance?

I miss f88
    Quote Originally Posted by jojotherider View Post
    I'll just go ahead and post the link about the Bladerunners here:
    First Look: Deity Bladerunner Pedal - Pinkbike

-joel
    I'm hoping to pick up a pair of skyscrapers on the cheap once they come out.
    WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

mtbr member
    anyone using these...

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleHelix View Post
    I was thinking of a pedal that actually has a bearing instead the the du bushing design would hold up a little better.

What's the best in terms of long mileage use?

I ask the collective voice of experience this as well.

I'd heard mention of DMR Mag V12 pedals as being indestructible:
    Products Pedals V12

So I got some. I've pounded them on rugged ST, on single bikes and a tandem, bikepacking the divide, CT, etc., so I'm inclined to agree. Maybe not the most modern thinness, but I honestly the only time I ever roll a pedal is the odd technical climbing burst. Descending, I dont really notice any diff between these and my Podiums. Narrowness seems to mitigate strikes to a degree.