Page 34 of 62 FirstFirst ... 24 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 44 ... LastLast
    metrotuned WoS
    bad andy, DU bushings are why I got rid of Atomlab's pedals. The DU bushings wear out prematurely in my experiences. They're just pieces of plastic essentially. You gotta pay the price for lightweight.
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by illnacord View Post
    bad andy, DU bushings are why I got rid of Atomlab's pedals. The DU bushings wear out prematurely in my experiences. They're just pieces of plastic essentially. You gotta pay the price for lightweight.

you are right on the DU bearings, when you right a lot in dirt mud, they need very frequent cleaning/service . but you dont have to pay a premium for light weight, the pedals im selling are all light weight 3 beairngs, ive used them in a few DH trails , grips is very good.

08 Ironhorse Yakuza
    04 Santa Cruz V10
    15 Gravity Bullseye Monster
    04 Giant Simple

My craigslist for sale

mtbr member
    my wellgo b132s are pretty sweet

mtbr member
    To all Shimano Saint users, could you check the height of the pins, from the pedal face to the top of the pin? This without the washers, if possible.
    Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ze_Zaskar View Post
    To all Shimano Saint users, could you check the height of the pins, from the pedal face to the top of the pin? This without the washers, if possible.
    Thanks in advance
    The pins don't all stick up exactly the same amount off the pedal surface, but 3-3.5mm is the range without washers.

mtbr member
    Thanks
    I thought they where longer without the washers.
    I'm using 10mm bolts with the SS Nanos (5mm height on the pedal), but now that I ride with Five Tens I'm thinking about go back to the stock 8mm bolts

mtbr member
    By the way, anybody thinks that having pins protruding as tal as 5mm might cause some kind of damage to the shoes soles or something like that?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ze_Zaskar View Post
    By the way, anybody thinks that having pins protruding as tal as 5mm might cause some kind of damage to the shoes soles or something like that?
    Something like that... I would be more worried about damage to shins and calves!

The Saint pins are a bit different than most other pedal pins. They are normal sized screws at the pedal interface but the protruding part is necked down to a pretty small diameter. Those small diameter pins give pretty good traction but they seem to dig into the soles of shoes a lot more than other pins. My 5.10 soles are taking a beating.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Yardstick View Post
    Something like that... I would be more worried about damage to shins and calves!

The Saint pins are a bit different than most other pedal pins. They are normal sized screws at the pedal interface but the protruding part is necked down to a pretty small diameter. Those small diameter pins give pretty good traction but they seem to dig into the soles of shoes a lot more than other pins. My 5.10 soles are taking a beating.

The Twenty6 pins are the same way - broad base with super-sharp points. They're stickier than any other pedal i've ridden, but shred your shoes.

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by good4nothing View Post
    The Twenty6 pins are the same way - broad base with super-sharp points. They're stickier than any other pedal i've ridden, but shred your shoes.
    There were/are a number of pin types, as Tyler experiments with them fairly regularly. I think he did 3 kinds of pins for the Prerunners- spikes, volcanos and then the ribbed ones.

I've had Ralleys, Prerunners and Predators, and my Impact soles have actually held up pretty well. The Predators are crazy grippy; jumping back and forth between them and the Prerunners on my other bike is eye-opening. Shin guards aren't a bad idea, either.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

wuss
    I was surprised that the saints had so short pins, but my feet have still not slipped and I did not even remove the washers yet.

brownpow! (?)
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    There were/are a number of pin types, as Tyler experiments with them fairly regularly. I think he did 3 kinds of pins for the Prerunners- spikes, volcanos and then the ribbed ones.

I've had Ralleys, Prerunners and Predators, and my Impact soles have actually held up pretty well. The Predators are crazy grippy; jumping back and forth between them and the Prerunners on my other bike is eye-opening. Shin guards aren't a bad idea, either.
    I know EXACTLY whatcha mean. I had prerunners for a good long time and thought they were way grippy, but tore up skate shoes fast. Then I gotta set o' predators and was blown away with the additional amount of grip. Now that I run 5.10 stealth soles on the predators the grip is just about too much, IE it can be a bit difficult to reposition on a chunky run if you find your feet not quite where you want em' at the start of a run. But I love the confidence you get knowing you'll pretty much never lose a pedal. I think the smaller diameter at the points of the new tapered/ribber predator pins makes for a lot of the difference in grip.
    My bike video YT channel: biiiiiiiiiiiikiiiiiiiinnnnnnng

banned
    Sep 2012
    I am all about Canfield Crampons...Pedals are beyond amazing...very thin and 18 pins, better then clipless!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I've had my DMR V8's for over a year and never had a problem. I've caught them on tree roots and rocks and even my garden steps and they're still as quiet as the day they came out of the box, oh and they grip like sh!t to a stick. Poor man's V12 maybe, but for the money they're awsome!

mtbr member
    Just had my first ride on my Deity Compounds.

For now I can only compare them to the garbage stock pedals on my bike, but they look great, are very light, and my foot didn't budge at any point. Huge improvement. Can't yet comment on durability.

metrotuned WoS

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! 2013 Shimano Saint

Shimano Saint platform pedals vs Point One Racing Podium Platform Pedals:

The Saint's came out of the box with the pins already installed. The pins use washers. Put anti sieze on the threads and installed. The spindles oozed some fresh grease during the first 20 miles of break in. The PD-MX80 Saint pedals are made in Malaysia. They're marked on box as 500g and symbols for DH and FR.

My Point One's are in for service. The service for new bearings was almost the same price as the Saint's Guess I must really like the Point One's
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    So far my favorite are Transition Step Down Pedals. Vert well built, durable, great feel on foot, tons of grip - and probaly the best pedal value out there.
    "If it ain't broke, don't fix it - it'll be broke soon enough !" - ILOJ

mtbr member
    got a set of these last week in orange anodised: Torque Pedals (Thru pin) Moove MTB

What I was looking for pins mount from behind rather than the top. Nicely polished, We will see how they go!
    Last edited by zaner; 10-19-2012 at 08:08 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    one pedal ill never use again is the dark cycles arachnid, thing was just brutal, it hurt the feet.

Most comfortable has been some old nc-17s and my dartmoor fever ones, the new generation, not much so much the older rebadged ones.

Perpetual Hack
    aw comon.... arachnids are great if you don't want your feet to move - ever....
    Gotta fully pick up yer foot to move it...

michael
    A Dirtbag since 1969.
    A Knomer since 2007.

Knolly Podium V.2
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Delirium-T
    RM Slayer . . .

metrotuned WoS

Azonic Flat Iron Platform Pedals

- The Shimano Saint pedals were good value and appearance. Until one of the pedals bearings went bad a week in use!

- Point One Racing pedals came back from service with replaced spindles/bearings; yep, still think they're the best pedals on the market.

New to hit the market by Azonic Flatiron pedals: 10mm thin, oversized outboard bearings with internal bushings. Photo attached (MTBR hosted):
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-azonic-flatiron.jpg  

FX4
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Just landed these:

I'll report back after I have ridden them. It will be a bit, I'm nursing a sprained thumb.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    heres a review of the e13 lg1 pedals. i have them and can vouch for the amazing amount of grip. i am running the 7mm pins on the leading and trailing edges and the 4mm in the middle and with 5.10s...DAMNN. re positioning your foot takes some getting used to, otherwise they are the best ive used. my complaint is the same, the axles dont spin as freely as id like, hopefully the updated seal kit will be a big improvement.

e*13 LG1+ pedal - Tested - Pinkbike

You down with entropy?
    looking for new flats. I currently have a set of Kona jackshit pedals. I like the feel, but they are getting beat up and are really thick. One thing I was wondering is the feel of a few pedals, as I did not like the flat feeling of the crank bros 50/50.

I am looking at either Saints (concave shape) or
    crampon ultimates (more flat to convex base, but pins may make up the shape/feel).

Anyone have any time on these to compare? No one has them locally to give them a try for feel.

mtbr member
    The only objective comparison I can say is that Saints are less expensive and more readily available. I bought saints for those reasons.

But I believe Canfield just received more in stock. So if you decide to go that route, I'd advise to you jump on it before they run out again.

Page 34 of 62 FirstFirst ... 24 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 44 ... LastLast