Page 31 of 64 FirstFirst ... 21 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 41 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    My 5.10 Impacts only lasted for a about a year. The stiching on the lace closures started pulling apart from the leather.
    My running sneakers last less than six months, my tennis sneakers last about 3months, so getting a year out of a pair of mtb shoes is pretty good.

meow, meow.
    I got 2 solid years out of 5.10 Impact Lows. Been riding a lot, but mostly on pedals that had very short grub screw pins (NS Aerial 2009). They are still kind of usable, but outsoles look like deep, pedal-shaped trenches have been made in them. I stopped riding them because I noticed sizable pieces of porous midsole material were being ripped out.

I'm on Shimano AM40's since then, it's their second season, and pedal pins are much taller now (AMPs). Vibram outsoles hold up a little better, there are no trenches now, just wide shallow marks.

For the next pair I'm looking at some 5.10 Carvers, they look like Impact Lows (good wor wide, flat feet, and well protected) with lace flaps like AM40s.
    26" faithful.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Random Psycho View Post
    I got 2 solid years out of 5.10 Impact Lows. Been riding a lot, but mostly on pedals that had very short grub screw pins (NS Aerial 2009). They are still kind of usable, but outsoles look like deep, pedal-shaped trenches have been made in them. I stopped riding them because I noticed sizable pieces of porous midsole material were being ripped out.

I'm on Shimano AM40's since then, it's their second season, and pedal pins are much taller now (AMPs). Vibram outsoles hold up a little better, there are no trenches now, just wide shallow marks.

For the next pair I'm looking at some 5.10 Carvers, they look like Impact Lows (good wor wide, flat feet, and well protected) with lace flaps like AM40s.
    I have 5.10 Karver's and love em!!

mtbr member
    check out these pedals i got for sale , these are truely all you can ask for from a set of pedals, large low pro, 3 sealed bearings in each pedal, 330-360 grams a pair. CNC machined body, traction pins, under $70 bucks. ive been importing and selling parts for almost a year, been working on bike for years, i know something is good when i see it. plus ive had lots of pedals in the past, none of them has better value than these guys

please dont blame me for prompting my own stuff.

Cycletrack CK028 light DH platform pedals. 6 bearings !!!! | eBay

CYCLETRACK CK008 XC Trail platform pedals 6 sealed bearings, traction pins | eBay

CYCLETRACK CK068 large lowpro Downhill platform pedals 330g, 6 sealed bearings | eBay
    08 Ironhorse Yakuza
    04 Santa Cruz V10
    15 Gravity Bullseye Monster
    04 Giant Simple

My craigslist for sale

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark4299 View Post
    The Atomlab Trailkings aren't flat, they are concave. I agree with the lack of traction possibility...which is why I sold them NIB for the Atomlab Aircorp that has more pins, and the same profile/concave body.
    I completely disagree with the lack of traction with concave pedals. I'm riding saint mx80 pedals which are concave. The concave point makes a perfect seat for the ball of my foot, which in my opinion, increases traction. I say that since you have 2 degrees of locking mechanisms. The first is the pins. and the second is your foot's natural curve set into the pedal itself. Also I believe the concave pedal increases pedal efficiency since the ball of your foot is above the pedal shaft, which is where normal clipless shoe/pedal combinations lock. The only downside with concave pedals will be the thinness of the platform.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    What about crankbrothers eggbeaters ? These are not very nice but they are cheap and I think that perform well

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Phanis13 View Post
    What about crankbrothers eggbeaters ? These are not very nice but they are cheap and I think that perform well
    I think you missed the drift of this thread. Question is what is the best platform (i.e. NOT clipless) pedal.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Got my Straitline de Facto's the other day, finally got to try them out last night. First off, love how big they are, I have size 14 feet so having that big, meaty platform was awesome. These aren't the lightest or thinnest, but they are big and tough which makes them perfect for me.

I have been riding exclusively clipless (Shimano XT Trail) and don't feel like I gave up any efficiency climbing. I also felt way more comfortable descending, being able to shift my foot around a bit really helped me get my weight where I wanted it. Best of all though, I never had a panic attack because I was clipped in and about to tip over... just a quick dab of the foot and all is well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarlaxle View Post
    I think you missed the drift of this thread. Question is what is the best platform (i.e. NOT clipless) pedal.
    That's kind of what I was thinking.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by phanis13 View Post
    what about crankbrothers eggbeaters ? These are not very nice but they are cheap and i think that perform well
    f........

ONE speed under God.
    Jul 2012
    I've been riding with Flybikes Ruben Graphite pedals for six months now. They are strong, light (360gm) and never bend, even when I'm standing --- and I am about 260. I admit they're not very good in the mud though.

And for $28, how can you possibly go wrong.?
    Nashbar SS 29er
    K2 FS Attack
    Cannondale R600

RideDirt
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGABIGD View Post
    I've been riding with Flybikes Ruben Graphite pedals for six months now. They are strong, light (360gm) and never bend, even when I'm standing --- and I am about 260. I admit they're not very good in the mud though.

And for $28, how can you possibly go wrong.?
    Umm cuz they look like sh$t compared to my E-thirteen pedals and prob really suck for downhilling

ONE speed under God.
    Jul 2012

No good

Quote Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
    Umm cuz they look like sh$t compared to my E-thirteen pedals and prob really suck for downhilling
    Well its nice to know that your pedals, and probably your bike are so much better than mine. You are definitely my hero.

All I know is that I don't do DH and have no need for such a pedal...ohh, and I do have something that you don't... An extra $100 in my pocket..buh--wah---ha--ha!
    Nashbar SS 29er
    K2 FS Attack
    Cannondale R600

RideDirt
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGABIGD View Post
    Well its nice to know that your pedals, and probably your bike are so much better than mine. You are definitely my hero.

All I know is that I don't do DH and have no need for such a pedal...ohh, and I do have something that you don't... An extra $100 in my pocket..buh--wah---ha--ha!

You mad bro ? Last time i checked i could of swore this is the downhill/freeride section of the forums I think you might of missed the XC section as the topic is about Platforms in the DOWNHILL section. Have a nice day and thanks for the neg rep ! LOL at least i dont cry about it like a little wanker

By the way , $100 or $1,000 doesnt matter as long as your happy with what you got

ONE speed under God.
    Jul 2012
    It doesn't matter what section of the stupidly organized mtbr forum this thread was in. You say your ____ is good and my ______ looks like sh#t makes you come across like an elitist aszhat.
    Nashbar SS 29er
    K2 FS Attack
    Cannondale R600

RideDirt
    You asked how can you go wrong and i simply stated where you went wrong for cheap pedals to be used on a downhill bike . I never said my stuff was better then yours , its just how YOU interrupt all of it . Have a goodnight man, nothing to see here, and stay on topic please ! Now back to some awesomeness pedals for DOWNHILL

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Oops sorry
    I did not mean eggbeaters but 50 50

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    You asked how can you go wrong and i simply stated where you went wrong for cheap pedals to be used on a downhill bike . I never said my stuff was better then yours , its just how YOU interrupt all of it . Have a goodnight man, nothing to see here, and stay on topic please ! Now back to some awesomeness pedals for DOWNHILL

[[/IMG]
    Ummm... Guess you forgot about the part where you said his pedals look like $hit...

RideDirt
    Cry me a river man , im sorry , i forgot that we cant express our thoughts these days on a fuking forums ... Hey you might think my pedals look like **** but they function properly and get the job done, doesnt mean im going to get freaked out about it ..

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Cry me a river man , im sorry , i forgot that we cant express our thoughts these days on a fuking forums ... Hey you might think my pedals look like **** but they function properly and get the job done, doesnt mean im going to get freaked out about it ..
    Just pointing out your B.S., nothing more, nothing less. Express yourself however you want, just don't complain when somebody calls you out for being a jagoff.

RideDirt
    Thats cool , maybe you should be a mod or a " big brother " . Never complained

ONE speed under God.
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarlaxle View Post
    Just pointing out your B.S., nothing more, nothing less. Express yourself however you want, just don't complain when somebody calls you out for being a jagoff.
    LMAO! It appears he is in need of some basic mtbr etiquette --- don't knock anyone else's bike, pedals, wheels, crank, etc. We all have different objectives and needs in biking, as well as different budgets. That $600 hardtail that you would sneer at may be on the wish list for some guy who has to ride an old hoop-D because he can't afford anything better.

We all love to bike ride. That's why we spend time on this forum... And if you love riding that 1995 Raleigh M80 with the first Rockshox fork ever made that has 3/4" of travel that you bought used for $125, then more power to you.
    Nashbar SS 29er
    K2 FS Attack
    Cannondale R600

mtbr member
    so.... back to topic.

WHICH PLATFORM PEDALS ARE BEST FOR DOWNHILL / FREERIDE.

Not clipless, not xc/trail/am

No Clue Crew
    My Spank Spikes worked out well this morning

Almost seems a shame to put something no new and pristine on such a beat up bike

It was raining slightly out so we took it easy. Only had a couple pedals strikes, no lost pins but one looks possibly bent. We'll see if they hold up better than my cheaper HT pedals. I'm pretty sure they will but...

mtbr member
    Regarding the off topic issue, many riders, like me, see this thread as the main bible about flat pedals around MTBR. Even if I'm a xc rider, there's no better place to put questions, etc, about flats than this topic

Page 31 of 64 FirstFirst ... 21 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 41 ... LastLast