Page 30 of 64 FirstFirst ... 20 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 40 ... LastLast
    Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Hey guys, I was 99% sure I wanted a set of Crampon Ultimates but after reading the past few posts about tiny bearings and bushings I'm starting to waiver. The alternate choice would be the Spank Spike. Are people getting long wear cycles out of the Canfield pedals(Old model and new. The Ultimates obviously haven't been out long.) or do they need rebuilds quite frequently? I've also read some varying opinions on the Spikes but considering they produce and sell WAY more pedals than Canfield I'm not all that worried. You always hear the bad reviews, right?

I'm currently on Sub4s but they're needing a rebuild after two hard seasons of use and I'm also curious about trying a THIN pedal.

Canfield Ultimates or Spank Spikes? GO!

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DFYFZX View Post

Based on customer service and my own experience dealing with them, definitely the Canfield stuff over the Spikes.

I had 0 riding hours on my HT AE-01 EVOs but it was right around the time when someone in this thread posted their findings with their Da Bomb Bare Bones (same exact pedal as the HT). It wasn't quick until I pulled mine apart and decided to sell them.

And I know Canfield has a slightly different design of these bushings on the new pedals but still nothing like the normal sealed bearings of something like the Podium, there's just no space for it.

mtbr member
    Get the Canfields. If you have any problems they will take care of it quickly.

I have three sets of Crampons. One of the old style and two of the Ultimates. I love the pedals and have put the V1 through hell. After a year and a half of beatings I managed to bend a spindle. $5 replacement spindle and I was back to thrashing. Sure I spent $5 on that spindle but I still got hooked up because they sent two!

I have the Ultimates on my bikes now and use the V1s as loaners.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DFYFZX View Post
    of those, definitely Ultimates. Not only are they dope, but the brothers will deal with any problems you may ever have quickly and freely/cheaply. I would also throw the the Twenty6 predator on your list - not quite as thin, but LIFETIME WARRANTY. Seriously, I sent a pair of 2008 pre-runners back after bashing them off of rocks for a season and a half just to have the bushings replaced/spindles cleaned up, and Tyler replaced the cages, pins, bushings, and basically everything but the spindle with the 2010 edition for free, in less than a week, no questions asked. This was not some "your pedals broke while innocently riding down the street" claim, but more like "hey, I beat the ever living **** out of these for 18 months and now they don't run so good" claim. Only company I know of that will replace a component for expected user-inflicted wear and tear.

wuss
    I've had the Saints on my bike for a while now, and I have to say I'm really impressed. They cost 59€ which is about 1/3 of what the podiums or other top pedals here would cost, and half of what the cheaper common pedals would cost.

Yeah, they are not as thin which is a pity, but they feel like they will last quite some time.

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    that was a year ago....still no sign, and not on 2013 bikes by the looks of things either

mtbr member
    Vp-69

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingboy View Post
    that was a year ago....still no sign, and not on 2013 bikes by the looks of things either
    I like the square-tipped pins on those Specialized pedals...

mtbr member
    ya for now, I'm riding saints since they're sub $100 and still have a good rep. I did notice that with the concave design, pedaling efficiency increased slightly. I ride with the ball of my feet at the lowest point where my foot naturally bends, which makes it very conformable and sticky. Especially since I can't afford 510s. lol

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by howardyudoing View Post
    ya for now, I'm riding saints since they're sub $100 and still have a good rep. I did notice that with the concave design, pedaling efficiency increased slightly. I ride with the ball of my feet at the lowest point where my foot naturally bends, which makes it very conformable and sticky. Especially since I can't afford 510s. lol
    Knowing what I know now I'd DEFINITELY spend less on pedals if I had to to be able to afford 510s. I was one of the skeptical that couldn't believe that only one manufacturer on the planet was capable of making a good shoe. Unfortunately, that's pretty much the case. Although a buddy has a pair of the new Tevas and says they are about as good 510s. He wears them more than his 510s so they must be good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    Knowing what I know now I'd DEFINITELY spend less on pedals if I had to to be able to afford 510s. I was one of the skeptical that couldn't believe that only one manufacturer on the planet was capable of making a good shoe. Unfortunately, that's pretty much the case. Although a buddy has a pair of the new Tevas and says they are about as good 510s. He wears them more than his 510s so they must be good.
    Sombrio Shazams are badass...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chadalex78 View Post
    Sombrio Shazams are badass...
    @$120 retail, they should be, and should hold up for 3 years, just like the similarly priced 5.10 and TEVA offerings.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero View Post
    @$120 retail, they should be, and should hold up for 3 years, just like the similarly priced 5.10 and TEVA offerings.
    My awesome soon to be wife bought me a pair... Been runnnin em on VP-69 pedals since EARLY spring. Great combo and theyre holding up great!! No signs of real wear and tear yet... Rode em A LOT too. Soles are not gettin chewed up by the pins or nothing. Very sticky yet you can position your foot. Love em

brake later, pedal sooner
    3 years? wow... my impacts are lucky to last a year and i really don't even ride as much as i should.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Da Bomb Bare Bones (same exact pedal as the HT). It wasn't quick until I pulled mine apart and decided to sell them.
    Same bushing/bearing system, but not "same exact pedal as the HT"
    Look at the pins, Da Bomb has less

I'm not allowed to embed images or post links yet

mtbr member
    Just my .02... Scored a pair of Odyssey JC PC's for $15 usd. Been rockin' 'em for about 6 hours now. Sticky as you'd expect, not as good a spin as clipless for xc, which is expected due to the bearing-less construction, but great for beach and bar cruising. Not the bling, but the performance it good, and for downhill (little pedaling) more than fine... Uphill or xc, not so good!
    I live in my head...

Just having fun... Sorry to piss you off...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gurterno View Post
    Same bushing/bearing system, but not "same exact pedal as the HT"
    Look at the pins, Da Bomb has less

I'm not allowed to embed images or post links yet
    Looks the same to me. 6 regular pins (screws) per side and 4 grub screws toward the center.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Oh, my bad. I was looking at a picture in which it looked like the Da Bomb didn't have the two center pins. I stand corrected.
    I will crawl back into my cave now...

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk 2

Leg Shaver
    Any insiders here logging hours on the Shimano Saint yet?
    Why are there so many threads about cheap ass bikes?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ike Turner View Post
    Any insiders here logging hours on the Shimano Saint yet?
    I'm no insider, but I have three rides on the Saints so far. They are not the thinnest and not light. But they are a perfect size for my feet, feel strong, have plenty of grip and spin really smooth. I just ordered a second set.

wuss
    Quote Originally Posted by Yardstick View Post
    I'm no insider, but I have three rides on the Saints so far. They are not the thinnest and not light. But they are a perfect size for my feet, feel strong, have plenty of grip and spin really smooth. I just ordered a second set.
    Two rides here, but pretty much the same feeling.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I've got some Da bombs, stupid name but good pedals, the red looks great, they actually have 2 more pins HT's and "10 weight loss holes", HT have 0

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by br0m View Post
    I've got some Da bombs, stupid name but good pedals, the red looks great, they actually have 2 more pins HT's and "10 weight loss holes", HT have 0
    I rather like the name Da Bomb...much more exciting than HT.

mtbr member
    Who do you know that has ridden Teva MTB shoes for 3 years? (I'm assuming they ride in one pair of shoes exclusively and ride regularly, not occasionally) Have Teva MTB shoes even been out for 3 years?
    I've never gotten 3 years out of any MTB shoe before shredding them. To be honest, I don't expect them to last that long, considering what they go through - always rubbing rocks, sticks/logs & spiked pedals, pushing up steep chunky trails, etc.. I'd be happy with 1 1/2 years out of any bike shoe.

Page 30 of 64 FirstFirst ... 20 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 40 ... LastLast