Page 29 of 63 FirstFirst ... 19 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 39 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Just placed an order on the SS Nano thru pins. I'm my GF likes them enough I might get a pair for myself (and say goodbye to clipless)

metrotuned WoS
    @Yardstick: Thanks! Great post. The Saints look chubby but compared to the others, is right there. Notice the Q-factor, the Saints are set out farther from the chainstays than the others, a design helpful to the bigger wider feet crowd.

@freeridin': I just called Point 1 Racing by their 408 number today, left a message again. It's going on two weeks without a reply by phone or email. I actually let Point 1 Racing know you had a "DM stem failure and was left in the dust."
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Finally finished reading this entire thread... whew!

I am a 6'4"/250lb clyde that wears size 14. Have been riding clipless but want to give platforms a shot. Will be wearing skate shoes (have 3-4 pairs of vans) with them. $150 is my max price. Here is what I have narrowed the field down to, curious what folks would recommend given my size.

Deity Decoy
    Shimano Saint
    Spank Spike
    Canfield Crampon Ultimate
    Da Bomb Bare Bones
    Answer Rove

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarlaxle View Post

I am a 6'4"/250lb clyde that wears size 14. Have been riding clipless but want to give platforms a shot. Will be wearing skate shoes (have 3-4 pairs of vans) with them. $150 is my max price. Here is what I have narrowed the field down to, curious what folks would recommend given my size.

Deity Decoy
    Shimano Saint
    Spank Spike
    Da Bomb Bare Bones
    Answer Rove

Thanks!

I'm similarly sized (6'2", 265lb, size 13-14 depending on the shoe) and I vote for the Saints! I did a short ride on mine this morning and really like them.

mtbr member
    Eureka! Q-factor! That was what I meant, didn't know there was a term for it...
    I live in my head...

Just having fun... Sorry to piss you off...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ze_Zaskar View Post
    Just placed an order on the SS Nano thru pins. I'm my GF likes them enough I might get a pair for myself (and say goodbye to clipless)
    Good choice. Borrow hers and try for a few rides

mtbr member
    ^^ That's the plan.
    I'm really curious about how these new gen thin/concave/etc flat pedals behave. My only experience is with old design DH pedals, and some people tell me that the difference with the new generation is huge.

I like to ride clipless, but after 10 years of those the shoe specific thing is really annoying me, and my knees are starting to get unhappy, even with ultra-floaty Time pedals.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by pwu_1 View Post
    Received the crampon ultimates today(ordered and shipped Friday. Thanks Canfield bros!)
    First impressions are somewhat mixed. The pedals look really nice in person, but both are pretty stiff/hard to spin. I'm hoping they'll loosen up after breaking them in. I'm also a bit apprehensive about the longevity of these pedals since they seem to be similar design as the Da Bomb Bare Bones(rebranded HT AE01s).
    I took the pedals apart to see how similar they are to the Bare Bones and I think they are definitely made by the same company. Both the Bare Bones and the Ultimates use two DU bushing. The difference is that the Ultimates' bushings have a lip that extends out of the axle bore(kinda like the brim of a hat). I guess that eliminates the need for the tiny thrust bearing that the Bare Bones/AE01s have. The axle for the ultimates are slightly shorter due to the elimination of the external thrust bearing. I'm hoping that eliminating that thrust bearing will help these pedals perform better in wet conditions.
    Finally, looking at the shape of the pedal, the Ultimates are about 10mm thick in the center and tapering down to 6mm at the edges(basically same shape and tapering as the original crampons except the ultimates don't have the big hump in the middle). The Bare Bones are about 11mm thick in the center and depending on how you measure the edge, either 9.5mm(if you measure the thickest part of top and bottom near the edge) or 6mm(if you measure at the thinnest point of the pedal. But that's not at the edge of the pedal).
    The Ultimates weigh 320grams without pins. With pins they weighed 340grams on my kitchen scale. Bare Bones weighed 338 with pins when I weighed it in Feburary.
    Anyway, here are some pictures. First ride is tomorrow. Will report back on if they loosen up a bit.
    pedals side by side:

Another showing thickness. From left to right: Da Bomb Bare Bones, Crampons, Crampon Ultimates

Crampon Ultimates shape

Bare Bones and Ultimates thickness side by side
    Picture links are broken, can you repost?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ze_Zaskar View Post
    ^^ That's the plan.
    I'm really curious about how these new gen thin/concave/etc flat pedals behave. My only experience is with old design DH pedals, and some people tell me that the difference with the new generation is huge.

I like to ride clipless, but after 10 years of those the shoe specific thing is really annoying me, and my knees are starting to get unhappy, even with ultra-floaty Time pedals.
    If you can try with a pair of 5-10 shoes and don't give up after a few rides.
    Took me about a month to convert to flats.

mtbr member
    The upcoming Chromag pedals look interesting.

mtbr member
    too many options! I need simple since I like riding my bike more than I like unscrewing and repositioning pins.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarlaxle View Post

Deity Decoy
    Shimano Saint
    Spank Spike
    Da Bomb Bare Bones
    Answer Rove

Thanks!
    So I pulled the trigger on a set of pedals and wouldn't you know it, they aren't one of the ones I listed above.

After looking at more stuff than I care to admit I am going with Straitline Platforms. They aren't the thinnest or the lightest but there is something very authentic about them. Found a red set on sale at CRC and they are headed my way. New Tallboy LTa arrives tomorrow, will ride clipless for a bit until the Straitlines arrive.
    Last edited by Jarlaxle; 08-02-2012 at 12:38 PM.

mtbr member
    I recently picked up a pair of Answer Rove pedals, and I am sure glad I did. Other pedals I have extensive experience with are Wellgo magnesiums, Odyssey twisted (aluminum), Easton Cully's, regular Eastons, and Kona Jack Sh*ts.

These Rove's kick ass! Don't know if I'll ever buy different pair, that is if these keep holding my shoes so well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Fyxation Mesa 61 alloy

What do ya'll think?
    Fyxation*||* Mesa 61 Alloy Pedal

380g
    about $100
    are these another pedal rebranded?

No Clue Crew
    That Scarab looks very nice. Especially if you strip out a hole or two...

I just pulled the trigger on a set of Spikes. A friend offered a good discount on the Crampons but one criteria I was working on was that the pins had to go in the back side. Should be here tomorrow. First ride this weekend...

brake later, pedal sooner
    Point 1 Podiums...

both my pedals look like this:

still spinning smoothly as the first day i got them. thin, light, durable, grippy, easy to service, great pedal.

i had kona wah wah's before this and those are like the poor man's version of these.

mtbr member
    your pins are broked... lol!

Huffy Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    Crampons but one criteria I was working on was that the pins had to go in the back side.
    They do, they can go in from either direction, pin point up or screw side up, your choice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ustemuf View Post
    Point 1 Podiums...

both my pedals look like this:

still spinning smoothly as the first day i got them. thin, light, durable, grippy, easy to service, great pedal.

i had kona wah wah's before this and those are like the poor man's version of these.

I have both. And the Konas just don't compare to the grip levels of the Point1 Podiums. Especially if we're talking about stock pins. The new Podiums are shipping with longer pins these days, and even after upsizing the pins on my Wah Wahs, I sold them lol.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    anyone have a US source for the HT AE 01 pedals? teh googles is not helping out much.
    Originally posted by bucksaw87
    I still fail to see how mustaches, fixies, and PBR are ironic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    anyone have a US source for the HT AE 01 pedals? teh googles is not helping out much.
    bikeco.com

mtbr member
    So many bling pedals and only one bank account... sigh.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    [/B]

I have both. And the Konas just don't compare to the grip levels of the Point1 Podiums. Especially if we're talking about stock pins. The new Podiums are shipping with longer pins these days, and even after upsizing the pins on my Wah Wahs, I sold them lol.
    wah wah's grip compares very well w/ the podiums, at least w/ 5.10 shoes. overall i prefer the podiums but the wah wah remains one of the better pedals on the market overall. not as light as some of the newer options, of course.
    Originally posted by bucksaw87
    I still fail to see how mustaches, fixies, and PBR are ironic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    wah wah's grip compares very well w/ the podiums, at least w/ 5.10 shoes. overall i prefer the podiums but the wah wah remains one of the better pedals on the market overall. not as light as some of the newer options, of course.
    Idk, I never truly liked mine. I do all my riding with the Vans waffle soles (Authentics or Eras) and they sure grip and bite into the Podiums a hell of a lot better. If in the market for Wah Wah, I preferred the Forte Convert pedals I had too. The pins are the Konas are short and thin.

As for your search for the HT AE-01 EVOs, try The Path Bike Shop.

I had a pair of those in black (and sold) before ultimately getting the Podiums, and taking apart the HT AE-01 EVOs I wasn't sold on their bearing system and the use of those super small bushings. And IMO, they definitely are NOT worth their $140+ asking price. The new Canfield pedals share the same design. And while they are thin, I sure prefer having a more robust looking pedal under me.

metrotuned WoS
    Eurospek, correct. The reason why I moved away from Atomlab was their dependency on janky little plastic washers - and the old generation of Eggbeaters. Washers wear away fast and disappear/disintegrate leaving the platform with side to side play. Although I understand the "race" rebuild process and the fact that washers are inexpensive, they are hard to source once you own the pedals if the extra washers are not included. Sealed bearings for the win. Ironically, I am finally having problems with Point One Podium's sealed bearings (the two smaller ones closest to the outside of the spindle. The update is $50 for a bearing service which I'm on the fence about due to the customer service email reply turnaround at ~2 weeks.
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

Page 29 of 63 FirstFirst ... 19 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 39 ... LastLast