Page 28 of 61 FirstFirst ... 18 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 38 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    I've been looking at these pedals, can get a really good deal on them. Any experience with them around here?
    My doubt is with the little raise in the platform that they have, seems to me that it could be unconfortable with some shoes, or even compromise the use of the pins next to it:

mtbr member
    My impression of the saints:

Slightly thinner, slightly shorter, a lot wider than stock demo pedals from specialized. They spin well and are plenty grippy with its 9 pins per side of each pedal combined with the concave shape. However, if you like your pedals to be super close to the cranks, this might not be for you. The selling point for me was the price. Much cheaper than a lot of other options. My intention was to save for some crampons, but they went out of stock before I could muster the $$ to buy them. Plus the saints look stealthy and I haven't had as many pedal strikes yet (might be because I'm riding better though).

mtbr member
    Were you able to find Saint's in the USA please?
    I live in my head...

Just having fun... Sorry to piss you off...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
    Ya. Just search.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by howardyudoing View Post
    My impression of the saints:

Slightly thinner, slightly shorter, a lot wider than stock demo pedals from specialized. They spin well and are plenty grippy with its 9 pins per side of each pedal combined with the concave shape. However, if you like your pedals to be super close to the cranks, this might not be for you. The selling point for me was the price. Much cheaper than a lot of other options. My intention was to save for some crampons, but they went out of stock before I could muster the $$ to buy them. Plus the saints look stealthy and I haven't had as many pedal strikes yet (might be because I'm riding better though).
    That highlighted part is why I'm so interested. The chainstays on my 2012 Enduro Evo are so wide that I catch my heels a lot while pedaling. I tried the Straitline AMPs, but they are too small. DeFactos really don't feel much bigger and they are tucked in pretty far too. The Spank Spikes have a good shape, but it looks like I would have to stack washers to keep them from rubbing the cranks or crank boots. I haven't seen all I'd like to see on the Saints, but I'm going to roll the dice. If anyone else is intersted in them, these guys have a pretty good deal going on: PlanetCyclery on Ebay (I have no association other than having just bought a set from there.)

mtbr member
    Last edited by Pelagic; 07-26-2012 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Stooping to a new low...
    I live in my head...

mtbr member
    Universal Cycles -- Shimano Saint MX80 Pedals

mtbr member
    Thanks! Much obliged. Last week I checked and everyone was still waiting to be able to fill orders.
    I live in my head...

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by chadalex78 View Post
    These on my Sombrio's sole.... Cant touch it.
    I've been eyeing those VPs but I can't get past the fact that there's only 5 pins. I lose 2 or 3 every ride. That's not good odds...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    I've been eyeing those VPs but I can't get past the fact that there's only 5 pins. I lose 2 or 3 every ride. That's not good odds...
    What kind of pedals are you losing 2-3 pins out of on each ride? It probably doesn't help the situation much, but there are six pins on the VP-69. There are only five on the older VP-59. I have a set of the VP-69s that I haven't put on a bike yet. I bought them for my hardtail/trainer bike. They seem like solid pedals and are an interesting design. Let me know if you want to check them out in person. I'm only about 6 miles from South Mountain.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    The new Saints are nice, been riding on them for ten days.

Crampons are better.

wuss
    Quote Originally Posted by recitio View Post
    The new Saints are nice, been riding on them for ten days.

Crampons are better.
    Should be for 2-3 times the price...

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Just started riding new crampon ultimates - ridiculously sick. The non-exposed spindle is a major upgrade, and the tapered set screws are awesome. Also very very light. Still not as sticky as twenty6's with fresh pins though. Tough to call a favorite between the ultimates and the predators, but definitely my two favorite platforms out there.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Yardstick View Post
    What kind of pedals are you losing 2-3 pins out of on each ride?
    HT MN01AT
    .:HT COMPONENTS:.

I was told they are a Diety Decoy knock off and I figured for ~$50 it would be a good starter pedal for attempting flats again. I've been running them for about a year and a half and currently have several holes that have been ripped/reamed out so I'm looking for a replacement set soon.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Superstar Dreadnought CNC Pedals what are they like ?

Weight: 460g per pair
    Price: 71.99 (AUD $108)
    Titanium axle upgrade available +40.00 (AUD $60)

Are they worth it comments please........
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-dread-final.jpg  

metrotuned WoS

Point One Racing Podium Pedals

Any one have access to Point One Racing??? I have called and left messages to their 408 number and sent multiple emails to info@pointoneracing.com asking for help with my Podium Pedals. The bearing exploded or something fell apart that used to consist of a bearing (grinding/crunch sounds when pedaling), and I would like to either send in the pedals or get a bearing kit (but do not know what tools are needed to remove and press in replacement bearings). It's been over a week so I do not want to overreact with their customer service.

#willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ze_Zaskar View Post
    Here goes a question more on the XC/gerenal mtb side of things, but since this is the biggest flat pedals bible I don't think it off topic.

My girlfriend is initiating on mtb and loving it. She's not ready to clipless (and I don't know she will ever be, or even needs to be), so I want to get her a good pair of flats.

I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to spend around 25 or 50. With the lower price I'm looking at NC-17 STD II or Gusset SlimJims.
    If chose to go higher end I'll chose between the Shimano Saint and the Superstar Nano Thru Pin. Anyone has experiences with these ones? How do they compare? Any help will be apreciated
    I don't know if you have decided yet but i can highly recommend the Superstar Thru Pin. I run them and they are thin enough and the grip is great. I run 5-10 shoes and I haven't lost grip once. Many riders around here swear by them. It looks like they have a sale now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    ^ Good luck...I was left in the dust with a DM stem failure from them.

Custom Wheelbuilder
    I have been pretty stoked on the durability of the KCNC Steady pedal. It's pretty grippy and it has held up to rough use.
    Check out www.zencyclery.com for fully customizable, handbuilt wheels.

www.facebook.com/zencyclerywheels

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by haakan View Post
    I don't know if you have decided yet but i can highly recommend the Superstar Thru Pin. I run them and they are thin enough and the grip is great. I run 5-10 shoes and I haven't lost grip once. Many riders around here swear by them. It looks like they have a sale now.
    Thank you very much. I wasn't aware of their sale. I'll go with the Superstars. I'm trying to decide between the grub screw vs thru bolt now, pending to the thru bolt side

mtbr member
    I took pics of some familiar pedals alongside the new Shimano Saint today. I'll apologize in advance for the pic quality. It's hot outside so I was dealing with crap indoor light and didn't feel like hauling out the big camera gear to get a "studio" like shot. I think you'll get the idea anyway!

This should also preemptively answer the question: Yes, the Straitline pins will thread into the Saints, but the pedals need a little massaging to allow for the slight chamfer on the pin.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-pedals_01.jpg  

Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-pedals_02.jpg  

Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-pedals_03.jpg  

mtbr member
    NIce, thanks for the comparison. Interesting to note in the second picture how far the pedal surface is from the crank arm, and how far out they extend. Hadn't really thought about that...
    Last edited by Pelagic; 07-30-2012 at 05:29 PM. Reason: add info
    I live in my head...

mtbr member
    NIce, thanks for the comparison. Interesting to note in the second picture how far the pedal surface is from the crank arm, and how far out they extend. Hadn't really thought about that...
    That's actually something I have been specifically looking for after my experience with the AMPs. Being a bigger person on an XL Specialized Enduro with its big chainstays and wide, 142mm rear hub, I almost couldn't pedal without clipping my heels. The DeFactos are slightly better, but I'm really hoping the much wider stance of the Saints helps reduce the amount I have to force my toes in.

mtbr member
    Sure look like they should do the trick. Quite a difference from far left to far right, maybe .75"? I like the way those gray VP's look, but leaning toward the Shimmy's to be honest.
    I live in my head...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ze_Zaskar View Post
    Thank you very much. I wasn't aware of their sale. I'll go with the Superstars. I'm trying to decide between the grub screw vs thru bolt now, pending to the thru bolt side
    Go with the thru pins.
    Last edited by haakan; 07-31-2012 at 04:16 PM.

Page 28 of 61 FirstFirst ... 18 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 38 ... LastLast