Page 2 of 61 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 52 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    I am thrilled with my Point One Podium pedals.

They are wider that any other pedals I have used, thinner, lighter, more grip, etc. I really like that they are flush with the crank arms.

I have been using them for 3 months now and I am VERY happy with them.

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by joshed
    I am thrilled with my Point One Podium pedals.

I have been using them for 3 months now and I am VERY happy with them.
    +1

I got some longer pegs to test also but havent felt the needcto install yet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

second on Wellgo mg-1

had an old set and loved em. bought new this year- even better. light, cheap, grippy.
    w/ my 5.10's best combo yet.
    have ridden kona's- good and sim to wellgo. stayed away from 50/50 due to reviews.

mtbr member
    the Kore ELITE PLATFORM's stick to my Vans like velcro...

http://www.kore-usa.com/products/elite_pedal.html
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

trail fairy
    Nice review

But without the Penthouse especially the new MK111s its not complete!

Over 250g of the original which is awesome and a 3yr warranty yep 3 years no BS.

500gr for steel axle and 460 for Ti eek..

22mm thick profile much lower than my MK 2s which would be nice but I aint complaining, this review is not complete e.g does not compute. e.g not rarking on the reviewer or review top stuff hard to review all lol be nice huh!

I love my PH Burtec's they just rock, DXs are strong for what they offer too, do like those Point ones but I'm sticking to the Penthouse, with a name like that why change right

Flats Ive owned.

CB 50/50 - Xs liked em at the time for a short time they crapped out easily but did like the profile at the time combined with my 5:10s any other shoe don;t think they'd cut it.

DMR V12s awesome, great bearings, for me though the platform for me was too small, I have wide big feet, i jst fit the 5;10 biggest shoe lol.

Shimano DXs again almost too small but have loved this pedal, like others have said combo of small and long pins depending on what suits u is a good combo!

Kona Jackshits, I actually loved these pedals maybe why I love the Penthouse so much, big burly and took the hits for me, while I had em they were top, heavy but loved em for DH, just love the size of the platform one of the best feature of the Burgtec.

Atom Lab Aircorps for me **** house, the DUs crapped out early, fell apart at the time my girlfriend at the time was riding I didn't believe her lol, for the price of these things biggest disappointment sold em with the newer system felt much more secure but these put me off very low profile pedals, just did not feel secure like the reviewer above said pedals should be solid I def rate that first before pins shape etc.

Easton Flatboys also a great pedal but as said dam heavy, but seemed durable to I lent them to another chick and never saw her or the pedals again lol, a re curring them with chicks and pedals and gloves no one gets em now but me, some people think borrowing is a gift lol..

But I'm solid on my PHs now not sure who will go first me or them
    Last edited by trailadvent; 04-09-2010 at 11:15 PM.
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

metrotuned WoS

Burgtec Penthouse MK3 - middle ground with pretty looks?

@trailadvent: nice, welcome input.Burgtec MK3 Penthouse's at 22mm thick vs 17mm new standard thickness and mid-weight (around Pimp Lite 500 +/-) makes the pedal overpriced (a pro) and overbuilt (another pro) but I think from the competition, there are better choices (yet another pro).

Pic and info below from Bikeradar:

Name:  bikeradar_burgtec.jpg
Views: 14761
Size:  27.9 KB

Now in their third design, the enormous-bodied Penthouse Flats pedals are better than ever. With 250g shaved off the previous model, still weigh 550g with steel axles, a 100mm square platform machined from 204 2TG aluminium, dual sealed bearings, and a three-year warranty on both axle and body.
    Last edited by illnacord; 04-11-2010 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Pics and Info of Burgtec Penthouse MK3
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I am planning on using pedals like above on my new mtb until I get familiar with riding again. Then plan to try clipless.. What is best for under $80?

Do I need to have shin guards for some of these? Looks painful if I were to slip.......

I would spend $200 on pedals if I thought I would keep them and not switch.

mtbr member
    Spend ~$100 on pedals AND ~$100 on Five Tenīs... thatīs better than a $200 pedals and regular shoes. Same as clipless, is wise to spend on both a good pair of flats AND a good pair of shoes to go with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    ...es como acomodarte los calzones, seguro lo puede hacer alguien pero es mejor que lo haga uno mismo

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I have a pair of Shimano mtb shoes to wear. I also have a set of Shimano M540's. I just want to get used to the bike first.

I will probably upgrade shoes and clipless pedals when ready. My new bike came with a cheap clipless pedal and I want a decent flat pedal to use until ready.....

Does anybody like the platform pedals with clipless also.. IE http://cgi.ebay.com/Crank-Brothers-M...item3efedb08b5
    Last edited by Polocash; 05-06-2010 at 07:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    Nice review
    But without the Penthouse especially the new MK111s its not complete!

...I love my PH Burtec's they just rock, DXs are strong for what they offer too, do like those Point ones but I'm sticking to the Penthouse, with a name like that why change right
    +1 Been riding the Podiums for a few months and love them. Recently got a set of the Burgtec PHIII and WOW--these things are S-O-L-I-D. Ended up putting the Podiums on my trail bike (Nomad) and the Penthouse Flats on the new Delirium. Very happy thus far.

metrotuned WoS

Platform Pedals: Brooklyn Machine Works Veggieburger

Rockin' the Veggieburgers from BMW Pharrell's interest in Brooklyn Machine Works.

Actually LIGHTER than the Stainless Steel Syncros Mental Pedals which have the title of MOST DURABLE and HEAVIEST pedals to exist!!! Even after heavy mileage, the mentals look and perform new.

Did they get lazy? I don't see the inside of the pedals left in raw. The whole pedal is anodized now.
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

Perpetual Hack

Blackspire and Dark Cycles

Something that has not been mentioned yet - Blackspire or Dark Cycles.

http://www.blackspire.com/qs/category/83/5952/0/0

I have a pair of the Sub-4's. So far so good, Great traction, but not over the top. 350grams for 100.00. Pins are Thru bolt design. They are made in Canada as well

http://www.darkcycles.com/

I also have a pair of Dark Cycles Arachnids. Super Gripy and tough. But they have the classic set-screw pins. As well they have quite the unique look. Another made in Canada choice. 145.00 for 444grams.

michael

mtbr member
    OP: Where on earth are you finding Syncros stainless Mentals for $80/pair? Please hook me up w/ a link, thanx!
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( š.š )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I just have some wellgo v12 copies I bought from crc for less than $30. amazing price considering what you get

metrotuned WoS
    mykel: Cool update, thanks! Blackspire's product range sucks, but their pedals are series 3 and 4 pedals are AWESOME! The weights are spectacular especially since they're designed as DH gravity pedals, made in Canada is pretty cool, too. The Dark Cycles Arachnids are unique but I can see them conflicting with a number of bike build fashions.

From Blackspire official HQ:
    270g!!!

Pau11y: Since you asked, you can find them floating on ebay occasionally. Take a look at 260671867301, auction was around 15 bucks+shipping last time I checked.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Looking to ordering a set of the Blackspire Sub4 tomorrow..

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    these > anything posted here

mtbr member
    the nuke proof pedals and the ht pedals are the same. ht makes the pedals for nuke proof. if they have ht on it they are way cheaper.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Only by 6 paper clips less weight compared to the Blackspire Sub3... Err.. The Twenty6 Prerunner..

mtbr member

No one mentioned these yet...

Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-azonic_420_pedals.jpg

Azonic 420

Extruded body
    CNC machined
    DU/sealed bearings
    W33 & V9 Pins
    Weight: 430g with pins (pair)

I bought these last year, mostly because I had good luck with their A-Frame pedal, so I thought I would give these a try ( and they match my Outlaw rims ). I'm impressed. The bearings spin smooth as the day I installed them. No play, no slip, nice wide platform pedal and they take a ton of abuse. And only $75 on Pricepoint currently.

mtbr member
    i vote point 1 podiums - the guys are great, they are a little expensive but you get what you pay for, i ran mine all summer and they held up great, low profile, great pin placement, with 510s i didnt see a need for the longer pins, they look dope, they feel BIG because of the size of the platform which is nice on my size 12 feet - i could not be more stoked on a flat pedal...

mtbr member
    Pretty machined anodized pedals look killer, but personally I'd rather spend the money elsewhere. Shadow Conspiracy Ravagers work for me. Thinner than most other plastic platforms, light, and after 100+ miles holding up just fine. Granted not as super-sticky as metal pins, but more shin-friendly, and no slipping yet. Don't know how good they'd be in wet/muddy, but I don't have that here in SoCal

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by DucJ
    The 420's on my SXT that were only $59 bux
    yeah Azonic 420's are nice and very durable

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    in add'n to older, thick pedals (tioga etc), I own 3 pairs of modern pedals i.e. thin profile: point1 podiums, kona wah wahs, and cromo spindle prerunners.

all 3 are good pedals; all are quite different, with pros/cons.

- the wah-wah has a big ass platform, great for big feet, and feels amazingly secure with stealth and non-stealth rubber shoes. the weight is heavier than some of the blingy options. durability (bushing, and pedal body) has been good...mine have been hammered for 2 years now. and the price is right. the big platform size means that sometimes (rare) i get a rock strike i'm not expecting e.g. when rising forward to crank on a flat section, or other situations when the pedal is not horizontal.

- the podium has a very thin cross section w/ no pins under the ball of foot area. Combined with the overall shape, and beveled edges, i almost never hit the rocks with these pedals. Manages to be relatively light and super tough. I think these will last a very long time. However, I don't like these pedals with non-stealth soles; not enough grip. Also, the very pronounced hump on the alu body near the spindle base means you can't position your foot in close to the crank arm. On my DH bike, that's a non-issue, but on my AM bike that gets pedalled up long-ass climbs, i much prefer to have my feet a little closer together.

- the cromo twenty6 prerunner is a good all-round pedal. pins get mangled pretty easily. it doesn't have the thin feel of the podiums, but it does have more pins and more grip. and for a FR bike that gets pedalled uphill, these pedals are nice since you can position your foot anywhere on the pedal -- no hump. i didn't mind paying $160 for mine, but the regular retail price is kinda high for a part that you know will get beaten on. Have heard bad things about the Ti version from local riders.

so bottom line for me is that the Podium is my favorite DH pedal, the Prerunner is my favorite AM/FR pedal, and the Kona is a great all-round pedal that I'll continue to use, and will recommend to anyone looking for a good pedal under $100.
    Originally posted by bucksaw87
    I still fail to see how mustaches, fixies, and PBR are ironic.

metrotuned WoS

Austrian Platform Pedals those wacky Germans

Some new CNC pedal work out of Austria / Germany with keywords: "FR Reset Big Fat Flat Pinking". I have a feeling we're in a new level of pedal design - less lazy slapping on brand name on the exact same pedals (made by HT & Wellgo).

Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-fr-pedals-germany.jpg

Page 2 of 61 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 52 ... LastLast