Page 14 of 64 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 24 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    my beasts, updatet with ti axle from a dead neutron mag pedal!
    best pedal for big feet.. 18mm tick. 380gr alu boddy with (ti) axle
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-img_0794.jpg  

ride.

mtbr member
    I like the HT, cant beat the pricing! Wish they were a little bigger!

metrotuned WoS
    If you're using the AMP pedals, be sure to use loctite and let set, ... I only used phil grease and on a shakedown ride, found the pedals unthreading themselves!!! This, after hucking off a jump and hearing a loud cracking noise.
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by illnacord View Post
    If you're using the AMP pedals, be sure to use loctite and let set, ... I only used phil grease and on a shakedown ride, found the pedals unthreading themselves!!! This, after hucking off a jump and hearing a loud cracking noise.
    I have heard from a few riders now of the same issue with the AMPs (myself included). In my opinion there is no way you should be required to loctite your pedals. Been there done that, no thanks.

metrotuned WoS
    @gretch, seriously! Being paranoid about breaking a spindle is a concern, but having a pedal unthread itself while riding is another concern that just shouldn't exist!!!
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Dude, let me know when you lose your pedal and strip out your crankarm threads. Seen it happen in person. Fun times. Know any other pedals that unthread on their own?

mtbr member
    Arent the crankarms reverse threaded for a reason? Seems it would be kinda hard for a pedal to unthread itself!

mtbr member
    How bout using teflon tape instead of loctite?... and pedals are not suppose to unthread. None of the pedals I've used have unthreaded themselves and I didn't use any loctite or tape on em. Lopro mags, blackspire sub4, Vp-001s, wellgo's, tiogas, azonic aframe, and my recent addition HT ae-01s have all stayed put. Maybe it was a bad batch of amps, either way it sounds strange.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I tried to contact Straitline to get their take on it, but they never responded to my inquiries. If I was heaping praise on a product you can guarantee a response, but not in this case.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Those look good. I was considering the DA Bomb Bare Bones (another HT AE01 rebranded) for just over $100, but not available until mid February. Are these available from On-One's website? Any more details?

Bloodied but Unbowed
    Those On One's look very nice. I wanted AE01 or some close variant but decided I could not wait for general availability to be better in the US. It boiled down to Straitline AMP vs Spank Spike. Even though the AMPs are lighter, overall I preferred the design of the Spike. Just installed them today on my Rocky Mountain Flatline Pro and will hopefully test them out Monday.

On my AM bike I have been running the re-branded HTs sold by Performance. They are cheap enough, work great and have held up well in abusive AZ riding conditions, but I do want something thinner to maybe reduce pedal strikes but more importantly for better control. Just couldn't bring myself to spend Point One Podium prices, as nice as those pedals are.

mtbr member
    I like the On-ones too but THINNY? Come on now, couldnt come up with a better name than that? AND THEY DONT COME IN BLUE!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by socalMX View Post
    I like the On-ones too but THINNY? Come on now, couldnt come up with a better name than that? AND THEY DONT COME IN BLUE!!!
    I would've named them On-One Wafers.

metrotuned WoS
    monstertiki, no, they recommend loctite in instructions, I used it and the pedals have stayed put since! ... also, be sure to use loctite on clean threads, loctite does not work on greased up spindle and crankarm threads!

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by gretch View Post
    Are these available from On-One's website? Any more details?
    According to the link he posted, they'll be available in about 5 weeks. One of the comments says they'll be on On-One's web sites, but I don't see them listed yet.

Bloodied but Unbowed
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertCrawler View Post
    Those On One's look very nice. I wanted AE01 or some close variant but decided I could not wait for general availability to be better in the US. It boiled down to Straitline AMP vs Spank Spike. Even though the AMPs are lighter, overall I preferred the design of the Spike. Just installed them today on my Rocky Mountain Flatline Pro and will hopefully test them out Monday.

On my AM bike I have been running the re-branded HTs sold by Performance. They are cheap enough, work great and have held up well in abusive AZ riding conditions, but I do want something thinner to maybe reduce pedal strikes but more importantly for better control. Just couldn't bring myself to spend Point One Podium prices, as nice as those pedals are.
    Just a quick update. I have these on my Rocky Mountain Flatline Pro and was able to try them out on a few runs yesterday (two Holbert runs, followed by one Geronimo at South Mountain in Phoenix).

They are great. Zero regrets. I noticed fewer pedal strikes, they are nice and roomy without being too big, and seem easy to get the foot positioned consistently. I opted to not install the inner pins which was the recommendation in the instructiuons for optimal foot placement vs optimal grip. Since they gripped just fine using 5.10s, I do not feel the need for the maximum grip pin placement option. I did not notice any squeaking from the 5.10s that some have reported.

I really noticed the added control especially in the switchbacks.

I plan to get another set for my AM/FR bike when I can justify replacing the current pedals.

mtbr member
    Hey bit of a n00b to proper flats... looking for someone to recommend high quality pedal that works well with 510's.

Coming from a clipless pedal users perspective.. Looking for something that's gonna make me feel nicely positioned on the pedal.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel RW View Post
    Hey bit of a n00b to proper flats... looking for someone to recommend high quality pedal that works well with 510's.

Coming from a clipless pedal users perspective.. Looking for something that's gonna make me feel nicely positioned on the pedal.
    Any pedal with replaceable pins.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Kona Wah-Wah.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by illnacord View Post
    monstertiki, no, they recommend loctite in instructions, I used it and the pedals have stayed put since! ...
    Out of curiosity, what is so different about the threads cut on the new spindles vs the old defacto spindle threads (or any other pedal for that matter) that requires these (and only these) pedals use loctite?
    Maybe it's just me, but it seems awfully odd.
    Transition Bank
    Transition ToP
    Transition Covert

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason B View Post
    Out of curiosity, what is so different about the threads cut on the new spindles vs the old defacto spindle threads (or any other pedal for that matter) that requires these (and only these) pedals use loctite?
    Maybe it's just me, but it seems awfully odd.
    Its not just you... it is both odd and a bunch of BS... and there is no mention of using loctite in Straitline's install instructions that I could find. Loctite for pins is fine, but for pedal spindles should not be required.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by gretch View Post
    Its not just you... it is both odd and a bunch of BS... and there is no mention of using loctite in Straitline's install instructions that I could find. Loctite for pins is fine, but for pedal spindles should not be required.
    a bike shop mechanic was telling me they have been using teflon tape and that has been successful.

metrotuned WoS
    gretch: easy. New instructions may have been made from user feedback, it happens.

murrdogg: teflon tape, this is like household plumbing. Loctite does the job. The only drawback is loctite should be left to set. Changing out clipless to platforms and vice versa may be a nuisance.

mtbr member
    Teflon tape WILL make the threads tighter! Im using it on my pedals. I would rather that than gum up the threads on my crank using Loctite!

Page 14 of 64 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 24 ... LastLast