7MGTE

New Crampons

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by supramk388 View Post
    Damn....those look hawt...

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I have now been running the spank spikes for almost 2 full seasons in the sierras and I love them. No issues, smooth, and sweet looking. I got mine from eBay for $70 a set new. Best purchase!

mtbr member
    Anyone know the specs and info on those new Crampons? Weight, price, availability, platform size?
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

Canfield Brothers
    We just received the first couple dozen sets of Crampon Ultimates.

They weigh in at 320 grams per pair.

The platform measures 106mm x 106mm x 10mm.

They are available in Black, blue, red, gold, orange and purple.

Retail is $150, call Sean at Canfield Brothers to get one of the first sets. 801-548-2556 Not available on the web yet, the web store will include these in a couple weeks when we receive the remaining pedals.

I've been on these for a year and I couldn't be happier. See for yourself.
    http://www.canfieldbrothers.com/frames
    Building bikes that make you smile!
    www.mtbparks.com
    All Bike Park, All the time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by flymybike View Post
    We just received the first couple dozen sets of Crampon Ultimates.

They weigh in at 320 grams per pair.

The platform measures 106mm x 106mm x 10mm.

They are available in Black, blue, red, gold, orange and purple.

Retail is $150, call Sean at Canfield Brothers to get one of the first sets. 801-548-2556 Not available on the web yet, the web store will include these in a couple weeks when we receive the remaining pedals.

I've been on these for a year and I couldn't be happier. See for yourself.
    Those pedals look awesome! However, they look like they might also use the same axle/bushing/bearing system as the HT AE01s. Can you give some additional info? Does the ultimates use bearings inside the pedal like the original crampons or is it all bushings now inside the pedal? Does it have the proprietary HT bearing on the outside between the pedal and the nut?

7MGTE
    Quote Originally Posted by pwu_1 View Post
    Those pedals look awesome! However, they look like they might also use the same axle/bushing/bearing system as the HT AE01s. Can you give some additional info? Does the ultimates use bearings inside the pedal like the original crampons or is it all bushings now inside the pedal? Does it have the proprietary HT bearing on the outside between the pedal and the nut?
    It was covered yesterday:
    " It uses a DU bearing, similar to allot of pedals but we have a "hat" shaped DU the eliminates the need for the thrust bearing, simple and effective side loading."

Is this the Crampon 2 pedal?

I have a set of gold on the way. Thanks Canfield brothers for making the best pedals even better!

mtbr member
    I tried calling them yesterday but missed them. I'll try again today. I'd like a black set.

Question, are these concave at all? Sorry, but I've not ever seen a set of Crampons in person.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    The crampon ultimates are on the website! Just placed my order. Can't wait to get them

mtbr member
    Damn. Black is sold out already.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Do they have it on raw or silver color?

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    forte makes a good very low cost high traction platform pedal

Calm like a Bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by socalMX View Post
    Good to hear about the Spikes! After following this thread, in my opinion the top 3 flats are

Straitline Amps
    Spikes
    HT AE01s

I chose the Amps of course and added my own set screws! (another pic in case someone missed it!)
    how does the platform of the amps feel in comparison to the spikes?

mtbr member
    Thanks for posting the images of the crampon ultimates. Is it true the Crampon's are produced by the same factory as HT pedals? Not that it will affect my purchasing power as I already own Podium Point One's and Twenty6 Prerunner ti-axle pedals, just curious as that's the word around the local riding crew.
    Lead actor Will of the Sun, Author Platform Pedal Shootout 820K views

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Received the crampon ultimates today(ordered and shipped Friday. Thanks Canfield bros!)
    First impressions are somewhat mixed. The pedals look really nice in person, but both are pretty stiff/hard to spin. I'm hoping they'll loosen up after breaking them in. I'm also a bit apprehensive about the longevity of these pedals since they seem to be similar design as the Da Bomb Bare Bones(rebranded HT AE01s).
    I took the pedals apart to see how similar they are to the Bare Bones and I think they are definitely made by the same company. Both the Bare Bones and the Ultimates use two DU bushing. The difference is that the Ultimates' bushings have a lip that extends out of the axle bore(kinda like the brim of a hat). I guess that eliminates the need for the tiny thrust bearing that the Bare Bones/AE01s have. The axle for the ultimates are slightly shorter due to the elimination of the external thrust bearing. I'm hoping that eliminating that thrust bearing will help these pedals perform better in wet conditions.
    Finally, looking at the shape of the pedal, the Ultimates are about 10mm thick in the center and tapering down to 6mm at the edges(basically same shape and tapering as the original crampons except the ultimates don't have the big hump in the middle). The Bare Bones are about 11mm thick in the center and depending on how you measure the edge, either 9.5mm(if you measure the thickest part of top and bottom near the edge) or 6mm(if you measure at the thinnest point of the pedal. But that's not at the edge of the pedal).
    The Ultimates weigh 320grams without pins. With pins they weighed 340grams on my kitchen scale. Bare Bones weighed 338 with pins when I weighed it in Feburary.
    Anyway, here are some pictures. First ride is tomorrow. Will report back on if they loosen up a bit.
    pedals side by side:

Another showing thickness. From left to right: Da Bomb Bare Bones, Crampons, Crampon Ultimates

Crampon Ultimates shape

Bare Bones and Ultimates thickness side by side

mtbr member
    Nice review thanks

They are hard to spin for 2 reasons tight seals and it makes them easier to get your foot back on should they slip off. These are DH pedals they are meant for going down, over rough ground, not for spin class.

mtbr member

Upset metrotuned SS crankset: Twenty6 Prerunner Titanium Axle Platform Pedals

pwu1: good comparison. They all look identical! Do you have enough bikes to mount each pedal set or are you trying one to be the best of three?

A metrotuned crankset awaiting a Chris King BB. Shawnee Ceramikoat XTR 960SS, Twenty6 Prerunner ti-axle platform pedals in polish and rainbow jazz.

Lead actor Will of the Sun, Author Platform Pedal Shootout 820K views

mtbr member
    ^Bling!
    My bike video YT channel: biiiiiiiiiiiikiiiiiiiinnnnnnng

mtbr member

Vp-69...

brand new... look sick and have a good profile.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-photo-1.jpg  

Last edited by chadalex78; 06-06-2012 at 03:11 PM. Reason: added pic

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by illnacord View Post
    pwu1: good comparison. They all look identical! Do you have enough bikes to mount each pedal set or are you trying one to be the best of three?:
    Got 2 bikes. Have the original crampons on one and the ultimates on the other. Prolly keep the bare bones for backup but hopefully the ultimates will work out for me

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by chadalex78 View Post
    brand new... look sick and have a good profile.
    How big is the platform size on that pedal?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    [QUOTE=pwu_1;9378951]Received the crampon ultimates today(ordered and shipped Friday. Thanks Canfield bros!)
    First impressions are somewhat mixed. The pedals look really nice in person, but both are pretty stiff/hard to spin. I'm hoping they'll loosen up after breaking them in. I'm also a bit apprehensive about the longevity of these pedals since they seem to be similar design as the Da Bomb Bare Bones(rebranded HT AE01s).
    I took the pedals apart to see how similar they are to the Bare Bones and I think they are definitely made by the same company. Both the Bare Bones and the Ultimates use two DU bushing. The difference is that the Ultimates' bushings have a lip that extends out of the axle bore(kinda like the brim of a hat). I guess that eliminates the need for the tiny thrust bearing that the Bare Bones/AE01s have. The axle for the ultimates are slightly shorter due to the elimination of the external thrust bearing. I'm hoping that eliminating that thrust bearing will help these pedals perform better in wet conditions.
    Finally, looking at the shape of the pedal, the Ultimates are about 10mm thick in the center and tapering down to 6mm at the edges(basically same shape and tapering as the original crampons except the ultimates don't have the big hump in the middle). The Bare Bones are about 11mm thick in the center and depending on how you measure the edge, either 9.5mm(if you measure the thickest part of top and bottom near the edge) or 6mm(if you measure at the thinnest point of the pedal. But that's not at the edge of the pedal).
    The Ultimates weigh 320grams without pins. With pins they weighed 340grams on my kitchen scale. Bare Bones weighed 338 with pins when I weighed it in Feburary.
    Anyway, here are some pictures. First ride is tomorrow. Will report back on if they loosen up a bit.
    pedals side by side:

Can u use the pins from straitline to the crampon ultimate?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jhobert View Post
    How big is the platform size on that pedal?

105x105x17mm at around 380g(website says 378, box they were in says 384.. Maybe one is with pins and one is without) Dont have a digital scale to weigh em but they seem solid and bearings are like butter.. Hopefully get my new bike tomorrow so I can try em out... Ill let u know how they perform.. The way the pins look and the shape of the profile makes me think theyre gonna work very well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    105x105x17mm at around 380g(website says 378, box they were in says 384.. Maybe one is with pins and one is without) Dont have a digital scale to weigh em but they seem solid and bearings are like butter.. Hopefully get my new bike tomorrow so I can try em out... Ill let u know how they perform.. The way the pins look and the shape of the profile makes me think theyre gonna work very well.
    Thanks, I'm on the market of getting a new pedal to replace the stock pedals I have and I'm looking for the widest pedal I can get and that's not too expensive.

mtbr member
    What ever happened to the flypaper thread?

mtbr member
    Thanks, I'm on the market of getting a new pedal to replace the stock pedals I have and I'm looking for the widest pedal I can get and that's not too expensive.

I got those for like $70.... Good buy compared to others..

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I got those for like $70.... Good buy compared to others..
    Cheapest I could find is $90

mtbr member
    Cheapest I could find is $90

try Amazon...

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    try Amazon...

Found one on Universal Cycles $72.00 shipped.. You think i can replace the VP pins to the ones that Straitline amps are using? I kinda like the pins that straitline amp uses because I only ride using regular shoes (running, skate shoes) .

mtbr member
    Found one on Universal Cycles $72.00 shipped.. You think i can replace the VP pins to the ones that Straitline amps are using? I kinda like the pins that straitline amp uses because I only ride using regular shoes (running, skate shoes) .
    uh.. I dunno.. prolly have to use the VP pins.. Not sure tho.. Ill be riding mine in skate shoes till my new shoes come in.. I aint worried bout it.. The pins dont look like they'd be any trouble on skate shoes.. Actually im using Vans whip which is a bike shoe, but in reality, more of a skate shoe. But ive had no problems on my Kona pedals with em.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    uh.. I dunno.. prolly have to use the VP pins.. Not sure tho.. Ill be riding mine in skate shoes till my new shoes come in.. I aint worried bout it.. The pins dont look like they'd be any trouble on skate shoes.. Actually im using Vans whip which is a bike shoe, but in reality, more of a skate shoe. But ive had no problems on my Kona pedals with em.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DFYFZX View Post
    Those. Look. Sick! Do want.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DFYFZX View Post
    apparently still in testing.
    Sam Hill’s pink Demo 8 bike check

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pwu_1 View Post
    Received the crampon ultimates today(ordered and shipped Friday. Thanks Canfield bros!)
    First impressions are somewhat mixed. The pedals look really nice in person, but both are pretty stiff/hard to spin. I'm hoping they'll loosen up after breaking them in.
    finally got a ride in today. The pedals did loosen up a bit. Still doesn't spin that freely but on my ride today I didn't feel like they were slowing me down. As long as they do good in wet weather, I think I finally found the pedals for me!

meow, meow.
    Shimano is releasing Saint PD-MX80 pedals..

2013 Shimano Saint Pedal PD-MX80 - 2013 Shimano Zee and Saint Groups - Mountain Biking Pictures - Vital MTB

Now I know where to run for salvation if I'm ever disappointed with Straitline AMPs.
    26" rigid SS 4130 BB7 nylon-flats ESI latex-tubes non-lubricated-8spd

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggs View Post
    From the pics below, they appear to be convex with the pins possibly creating a concave platform?
    Yes. I didn't measure mine at all, but I set the platform on the edge of the table (before installing pins) and it rocked back and forth very slightly. They're nowhere near as convex as the beveling makes them look, however, and the pins create a concavity. They should slip off rocks pretty nicely, although I have yet to take mine on a trail that would test that.

How's your Spitty treating you?
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Just got the Spank Spike pedals and they are 180gms lighter and 10mm thinner than my Easton Flatboys!

You can get then 10% off at universal cycles with VIP10 Coupon.

mtbr member
    Kill man, thx!
    I live in my head...

Just having fun... Sorry to piss you off...

FX4
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Newb here, thanks for this outstanding thread. I have read it end to end. As a former BMX rider in my youth I am not real keen on clipless pedals for mountain biking so I was looking for a quality American (or Canadian) made flat peddle. This thread has really helped me settle on the Point One Podium pedal. I hope they are everything I have read here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Very impressive!

Point One Racing - How their Podium pedal is built in house

mtbr member
    Took these out for a break in ride last night. They are very stiff in hand, but that did not carry over into the trail. So many options for pin placement, so I tried a different configuration on each side. No noticeable difference in pin placement. For my intents they are way better than the V1 Crampons. I ride flats for everything and having the spindle covered is such an upgrade. No more squeaky squeaky on every pedal stroke. Well worth the money, and I love the Canfield support and enthusiasm.

Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-crampon.jpg

Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-crampon2.jpg
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Spank Spike Pedals | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Even though its only 1cm, the lower height and increased grip of these spank spike pedals make quite a difference to the feel of the bike. Not that i'll be changing pedals anytime soon but when i do, i'll definitely be getting slim ones again
    Last edited by Ahil; 06-28-2012 at 07:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I'll second that, I am well pleased with my Spank Spikes and a lot of people make comments after seeing the Zesty Orange ano.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Nothing but problems from my Spikes (v1). Developed play within a week...easily fixed. Now a bent axle. Spank is replacing them for $15 to cover shipping. I'm sure shipping gets very expensive when the majority of the company is in Taiwan.

meow, meow.
    So far so good with my Ti axle Amps.

Ripped a chunk of meat 2 weeks ago from my calf. One pin dug in especially deep, I had to cut off some half-disconnected flesh with scissors. Scars are going to look nice when they heal. )

I also overhauled them and put black (thinner) plastic washers instead of white ones. White washers are easy to mistake for black ones, if you only see their edges. Axial preload is noticeably less with the black ones, it can be felt by hand. I did this on Greg's (of Straitline) advice to try and stop the self-unthreading issue. Of course I feel no difference in resistance when riding.

Going to try the new Saint pedals on my singlespeed build.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Random Psycho View Post
    So far so good with my Ti axle Amps.

Ripped a chunk of meat 2 weeks ago from my calf. One pin dug in especially deep, I had to cut off some half-disconnected flesh with scissors. Scars are going to look nice when they heal. )

I also overhauled them and put black (thinner) plastic washers instead of white ones. White washers are easy to mistake for black ones, if you only see their edges. Axial preload is noticeably less with the black ones, it can be felt by hand. I did this on Greg's (of Straitline) advice to try and stop the self-unthreading issue. Of course I feel no difference in resistance when riding.

Going to try the new Saint pedals on my singlespeed build.
    So Straitline actually admitted that the Amps unthread themselves? When I repeatedly tried to contact them last year I got no response back... I sold the pedals.

meow, meow.
    Quote Originally Posted by gretch View Post
    So Straitline actually admitted that the Amps unthread themselves?
    Sounds like it. They also recommend installing them without grease. I replied that titanium would surely gall and seize if I did that, but there was no response to that. Also, more install torque was recommended.

Mine are threaded in with copper anti-seize compound, using pedal washers. Funny thing is, they didn't attempt to unthread themselves at first several rides. Then I learned about the issue, checked tightness, all was fine, I went to ride, came back, checked again, and both axles were ever so slightly loose in the cranks. I keep checking them before every ride, and one or another axle needs (very little) tightening every other time.

I like them a lot overall, and if this behavior persists even with black washers, then I'll just degrease the threads and use some blue threadlocker.

(Going Shimano on my another bike is for conceptual integrity of the build, i. e. low maintenance, hop on and go ride, and all that.)

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Just came across these in Decline magazine.... looks interesting?

Lab Limited - Pedals

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by gretch View Post
    Just came across these in Decline magazine.... looks interesting?

Lab Limited - Pedals
    The edges of the pedals kinda look like the Spank Spike.
    Ruder than you.
    Ska is not dead!