Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,200 of 2188
    mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MiLi View Post
    2mm longer pins on Saint. grip = brutal. i think 1mm longer than original would also be big improvement. M4/10mm is also much more grippy than original with 8.5mm full length.

Attachment 773837
    Where can you buy those longer pins, MiLi...or even the original 8.5mm length ones? I called Shimano about they originals and they said they're back ordered until late March (and probably real expensive on a per pin basis). I checked with several Internet suppliers of bolts, and they all said they don't stock anything like these (fully threaded, but with two different diameters, in metric sizes). They called it a "shoulder bolt," but that's about as far as I got. Ideas?

meow, meow.
    The only thread that is needed is the one that screws into pedal body.. I'd try grinding off some threads on the ends of some widespread stainless steel bolts. The idea is to have a bolt that would be harmless and easy to remove should its tip become bent.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Random Psycho View Post
    The only thread that is needed is the one that screws into pedal body.. I'd try grinding off some threads on the ends of some widespread stainless steel bolts. The idea is to have a bolt that would be harmless and easy to remove should its tip become bent.
    I follow you, Random...the threads that screw into the pedal body are .7mm thread pitch and 4mm in diameter. Your idea is definitely one solution. I'm still curious as to where MiLi found the pins he's using, though, because several big fastener companies that I contacted seemed to have no idea as to where to get them -- yet, MiLi apparently has a source.

Thanks for your thoughts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    The Chromag pedals are to be released Monday, according to their FB. Looking forward to hearing details. The picture from their post:
    Attachment 776332
    Curious about these as well.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Hi!

Finally, I decided to buy Canfield Crampon Ultimate Pedals.

I have not used them yet because I haven't bought the bike yet because I would like to ride a demo bike first, but it isn't avalilable... I'll have to wait for the bike...

Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-pedals.jpg

I think the pins are too long so I have to get them shorter with the allen key that I have received with the pedals.

As soon as possible, I'll take pictures of the bike with the pedals...
    Last edited by Lobanovskyy; 03-03-2013 at 04:30 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I went with Crampon Ultimates as well.

After riding clipless for 20 years. I decided that that type of FR/DH riding that I was doing may be better suited to good flats/shoes. I had a pair of Shimano DX's from my BMX and starting trying to convert. I was never quite comfortable.

Then I decided to go with the Ultimates. I bought them right before a trip to Vancouver, a good place to take the plunge and test them out. These things totally rock and made the conversion from clipless to flats totally seemless.

I rode for 3 days on some of the toughest Vancouver North Shore trails at Fromme, Seymour, and Cypress in the wet of January. These pedals were awesome. Down some of the steepest, roughest, gnarliest sections, I never lost my footing. And, I had never been comfortable doing jumps and drops on flats... Until now. The experience with the ultimates and 5.10's was just like being clipped. Over some big gaps and drops, I never lost a foot or drifted off the pedals.

The grip on these pedals is amazing. The one thing that I would say is that when you put your foot down, make sure you put it where you want it, becasue the only way to move it is to lift it. It may actually be too grippy. I will need to experiment with different pin lengths and numbers/spacing.

They look awesome and draw comments from everyone who sees them (most being afriad of the carnage they appear ready to inflict on your shins).

The only disappointment (if I can call it that), was that I had a relatively minor crash that damaged the pedals after just 3 days of riding. It was not even a bad crash. I was riding an elevated skinny section and bailed out, dropping me and the bike maybe 1.5m to the ground. When I picked the bike up, the pedal body was bent and not spinning properly. But, I was able to finish the ride.

When I contacted Canfield Bros, they were extremely helpful and willing to work with me to make the situation better. They replaced the damaged pedal under crash replacement and sent me a new replacement pedal right away. No hassle, no issues. THAT IS THE #1 REASON TO BUY FROM A COMPANY LIKE CANFIELD. They care about their customers and take care of you.

To Sean and the team at Canfield Bros - thanks for your support and keep the great products coming!

mtbr member
    I didn't have such a good experience. I talked with Vin through Facebook about a set of red Ultimate pedals. They didn't have red. Vin said he could sell me a white set for $120 + $10 for shipping, and he told me to call to buy them. I called, got a hold of Sean, I was ready to give all my info. He told me to email them what I wanted and they would email back an invoice. I sent the email and never heard from them. So, I bought a set of AMPs from Amazon. They are supposed to be here on the 8th.

mtbr member
    Anyone NOT like their DMR Vaults? I've been itching to try them out instead of my Point1 Podiums. Slightly thicker, bigger platform, and seem to be easier to maintenance and less problematic (1 cartridge bearing and 1 DU bushing vs 4 bearings on the Podiums).
    konahonzo

Rogue Exterminator
    I have the Welgo MG-1's on my hardtail.
    For the price they are great.

However, my ful suspension I got the VP-001's
    These things grip like crazy glue, are super thin, and 175 grams ea.

Ended up getting them for under $50 too.

Here is a pic of the MG-1's and the VP-001's side by side.

Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-2013-02-19_16-55-10_395.jpg
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    had ae-01s for 2months now, done approx 1200kms, thay have alot of play and require constant re packing with greese, the little pins have all dislogged on rocks and the likes and stuffed the threads so cant replace them, expected more for $150

mtbr member
    I'm in the market for new flats myself. I've been going back and forth between the Straitline AMP and Spank Spike for a few days now. Anyone have any preference between the two? The Spikes are proving to be a little hard to find at this time whereas the AMPs are readily available everywhere and Tree Fort is willing to price match at $122. Leaning that way. What way would you guys lean between the two? Slight background:
    -- Size 12 US foot
    -- Accustom to clipless due to track/road riding
    -- Will mostly be used on singletrack

mtbr member
    The AMPs do not have a big platform size, with your size foot I'd look elsewhere. I'm 11.5/12 and love the platform size of the Point1 Podiums. Only thing disappointing with them is the bearing durability. One pedal to look at is the DMR Vault, biggest platform I've found so far (110x115), have them sitting in my cart for weeks now on one site but just can't commit to trying them out lol, and more importantly deciding on a color since they all look great!
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Thanks, I'll keep looking.

The Point1 comes in at a little more than I'm willing to sink into a pedal at this point. Read all the reviews and they're impressive, though. Ditto with Canfield. I'll have to look around at the Vaults. I've never really gave them much consideration. Maybe I should.

Anyone know of any reliable online dealer that has the Spank Spike in stock, in red? They seem to fill a lot of what I'm looking for in terms of budget, colors, and overall size.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SCMTB1 View Post
    had ae-01s for 2months now, done approx 1200kms, thay have alot of play and require constant re packing with greese, the little pins have all dislogged on rocks and the likes and stuffed the threads so cant replace them, expected more for $150
    Mine developed a bit of radial play too, quickly. Bushings wearing down. I've ridden mine for some time and beyond the initial wearing I haven't noticed much more. It's not truly noticeable while riding at least. Haven't thought of re-packing any grease yet though, maybe soon.

As for the pins, this is a problem with aluminum pins in general, especially small diameter ones. They'll get destroyed quickly. I ponied up for a set of Point 1's after my initial disappointment with these. The point 1's came with steel pins and those things are indestructible. They do sell a lightweight set of alu pins but I'd rather have durability over a what? 1 ounce savings maybe?

meow, meow.
    FWIW, I'm now running thick alu pins in one set of my AMPs (have 2 sets on 2 bikes). Weight saving isn't the reason I do this, I just hope that shoe soles will last longer with less pointy pins. Pins themselves are from Superstar, and they hold up surprisingly well.

mtbr member
    FWIW, I'm now running thick alu pins in one set of my AMPs (have 2 sets on 2 bikes). Weight saving isn't the reason I do this, I just hope that shoe soles will last longer with less pointy pins. Pins themselves are from Superstar, and they hold up surprisingly well.
    Iv'e run the stock pins on my new AMPs for two rides now. Only street though, because it's almost dark when I get home. I'm wearing black Converse hightops and so far I don't have a mark in the soles. At first I could feel the pins on my feet, and they hurt, just a little. So, I put in some gel inserts and all is good now. Grip is amazing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    TOne pedal to look at is the DMR Vault, biggest platform I've found so far (110x115), have them sitting in my cart for weeks now on one site but just can't commit to trying them out lol, and more importantly deciding on a color since they all look great!
    And purchased!!! Placed an order for DMR Vaults in silver right now, I'll report back once I start riding on them this season in a few weeks. Hopefully they'll be everything I've wanted from a flat pedal (platform size is killer, durability/maintenance looks great from what I've read online, and less than half the cost of Podiums ). Time to stash away my new warranty replacement Point1 Podiums for the time being.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I think you'll dig em'. Rode last weekend with them and the ground was quite muddy, I have to say the grip was phenomenal.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by danglingmanhood View Post
    I think you'll dig em'. Rode last weekend with them and the ground was quite muddy, I have to say the grip was phenomenal.
    Great to know, which Vaults did you use? Regular or the Brendog matte black signature model (those that come with 2 varieties of pins)?
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Anyone NOT like their DMR Vaults? I've been itching to try them out instead of my Point1 Podiums. Slightly thicker, bigger platform, and seem to be easier to maintenance and less problematic (1 cartridge bearing and 1 DU bushing vs 4 bearings on the Podiums).
    I love my Vaults. I bought some canfield utimates but I just couldn't jive with them. The Vaults bigger platform gave me a stronger sense of security. I've put my pedals through a lot of abuse and they have been going strong for a year without ever once servicing them. The only thing I've done to them are replacing pins. They're the first pedals If someone is asking me for a recommendation. I wear a 13 and weigh 195. I have the original ones.
    Last edited by slimphatty; 03-10-2013 at 08:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    that combo rocks! Crampon Ultimate with Straitline AMP Pins there are a litle shorter pins and works perfect.

Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-crampon-amp-pins.jpg

ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    They were the regular black w/blue pins not the Brendog model. Pins were all the same, with the exception of the 4 that run along the axle. On a side note the only disappointment I had was they only came with 2 extra pins, really DMR 2. At first glance I thought the pins were all the same, but upon closer inspection I realized there are 2 types of pins. 11 per side, 7 longer and the 4 shorter pins that run parallel to the axle.
    Last edited by danglingmanhood; 03-12-2013 at 11:55 AM.

mtbr member
    So my DMR Vaults came in yesterday from wiggle.co.uk and first impressions are everything right? These pedals look so good in person, much nicer overall finish than my raw Podiums. I opted for the silver finish to hide rock strikes and scratches just like my raw Podiums did (and I needed a raw/silver finish to complement my color scheme on the Honzo). And it was hard to pass on the other 9 brilliant color options available, but luckily there's something for everyone and was really tempted by the magenta and green apple to be honest.

What stands out the most from initial observations is how much more room I'll have for my size 11.5 feet with these. The platform is bigger in every aspect, and no longer the bearing bulge like the Podiums had near the end which I have gotten used to by now. Second shocker came with how the DMR Vaults concave in the middle, it's the first flat pedal that I've own that really has this (and I've owned most of the key players- HT AN01 series, Kona Wah Wah, HT AE01 EVO, Forte Convert (another HT Nano copy), Point1 Podiums). None of the online pictures really depicts this, it's awesome in person. And zero drag. While these do not spin freely, definitely not as stiff to spin like the Podiums. And while the Vaults are 17mm thin, they don't look much thicker than the 11mm Podiums, I doubt I'll see any difference on the trail in this regard. Lastly threw the pedals on the scale, the Podium with extra long steel pins was 179g, the Vault pedal tipped in at 212g per pedal.

I'll update more once I get some trail time with these pedals, but super stoked so far with the decision. Anyone looking for Podiums?

Last edited by eurospek; 03-20-2013 at 08:17 AM.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by FitmanNJ View Post
    Where can you buy those longer pins, MiLi...or even the original 8.5mm length ones? I called Shimano about they originals and they said they're back ordered until late March (and probably real expensive on a per pin basis). I checked with several Internet suppliers of bolts, and they all said they don't stock anything like these (fully threaded, but with two different diameters, in metric sizes). They called it a "shoulder bolt," but that's about as far as I got. Ideas?
    i made it myself from 15mm M4 stainless screws my grandfather made some tools and showed me how to do it...

they are 10.5mm long. i made it so long because than shoe sole touch the middle two pins first and not this bearing bump.

original size is also very grippy but i noticed a lack of grip when foot is not with full force on pedals. like when you are making bunny hops.

now with this homemade pins, grip is brutal. but they are not friendly for your shins . on 5.10 sole it think there will be less wear, because foot is now very fix.
    Last edited by MiLi; 03-21-2013 at 03:19 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MiLi View Post
    i made it myself from 15mm M4 stainless screws my grandfather made some tools and showed me how to do it...

they are 10.5mm long. i made it so long because than shoe sole touch the middle two pins first and not this bearing bump.

original size is also very grippy but i noticed a lack of grip when foot is not with full force on pedals. like when you are making bunny hops.

now with this homemade pins, grip is brutal. but they are not friendly for your shins . on 5.10 sole it think there will be less wear, because foot is now very fix.
    Thanks, MiLi -- no problem for the delay. That's an interesting story that you have -- your Grandfather taught you well. Wish I were that handy!

I agree -- the stock pins are very grippy, but you can always use a little extra holding power when doing things like bunny hops. I still haven't found an "aftermarket" source for the stock pins, so it looks like I'll have to try getting my replacement pins through $himano. Thanks for responding...

7MGTE

Cool ad

The best pedal, just got better!

Last edited by supramk388; 04-09-2013 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Better pic

mtbr member
    And they come in red? Bastardos!!!

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Magnesium pedals don't last long in my experience. Simple rock strikes turn into pins being torn out of the pedal body. I wouldn't run them on my terrain but if you ride mainly dirt with no rocks involved they might just be the holy grail I'll stick to my "normal" Ultimates, uh thank you

+1 for Magnesium pedals: they spark when you're night riding and clip rocks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I was worried about them being weaker but I talked to a guy at Canfield and he said he busted a few ultimates during testing but he never busted any of the newer pedals. Not sure if he was riding in the same area though as they are now located in Bellingham.

mtbr member
    I sold my ultimates after two weeks of using them. The only thing I really liked about them is their thinness. Besides that, I'll pass.

Nice vaults eurospek! If you want to experiment with pins..remove the four pins in the middle for more concave action.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by slimphatty View Post
    I sold my ultimates after two weeks of using them. The only thing I really liked about them is their thinness. Besides that, I'll pass.

Nice vaults eurospek! If you want to experiment with pins..remove the four pins in the middle for more concave action.

Just curious if you have anymore info on this, such as what you did not like?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mishtar View Post
    Just curious if you have anymore info on this, such as what you did not like?
    Yeah, I'd like to know, because I've never heard anyone say that. My problem, and the reason I chose something else, was the lack of CS.

reading comprehension wat
    Any ride reports on nylon pedals like Deity Compound Pedals?

I like to jump to conclusions, oversimplify, gossip, and participate in popularity polls.

7MGTE
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    Yeah, I'd like to know, because I've never heard anyone say that. My problem, and the reason I chose something else, was the lack of CS.
    I read your orig post and that is not the norm. I hope you try us again in the future and you can always contact me as well.

PM me when you are ready we will take care of you, sorry that happened to you.
    Last edited by supramk388; 03-25-2013 at 11:03 PM. Reason: typo, you=your!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by supramk388 View Post
    I read your orig post and that is not the norm. I hope you try us again in the future and you can always contact me as well.

PM me when you are ready we will take care of you, sorry that happened to you.
    Thanks for that. I know stuff happens sometimes. I eventually will need another set and another set for another bike. So, yes I will contact you when that time comes.

mtbr member

BMW Shinburger Platform Pedals

Brooklyn Machine Works Shinburgers sell for almost $300 on ebay! Wow... I have owned the Veggie Burgers (they're the cut out versions) and they were stout, but very thick (bigger and chunkier than the Syncros Mentals Stainless). These Shinburgers were likely made in Brooklyn, New York just like the Veggie Burgers. Later, I saw the meat tenderizer design copied by a knockoff company which turned me off.

I've attached a screenshot of the used BMW Pedals that sold for almost $300.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-bmw-pedals-%24296-march-2013.jpg  

Lead actor Will of the Sun, Author Platform Pedal Shootout 900K+ views

mtbr member
    If you told me they were bought by someone that rode a Fixie, only then would I believe it.

Hank

Almost $300? And here I thought some used Twenty6 Predators (Ti) which just sold for over $200 on eBay was nuts.
    I like to jump to conclusions, oversimplify, gossip, and participate in popularity polls.

mtbr member
    There's more than rocks and spikes out there that you can be Gouged by these days. MTB people Unite! Stop falling into the consumer ga-ga bling trap. I think we should have an official "Don't Buy Anything Month" or something. When a mediocre XXI group costs around $2000 you know they're ripping you a new one.

Not impressed with much lately..

I do like my Spike Spanks though. As in architecture the "less is more" model seems to work for MTB too

Hank

Close your eyes and repeat after me...There's no such thing as a $10,000 bike...There's no such thing as a $10,000 bike...There's no such thing as a $10,000 bike... (yeah right)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dv8xin View Post
    Any ride reports on nylon pedals like Deity Compound Pedals?

For the price you can't for wrong. Big platform and probably just need some longer pins but other than that. They are awesome for ~$45.

What did I not like about the ultimates? Their pin formation results in no concave action. Small platform.

squish, squish in da fish
    Quote Originally Posted by womble View Post
    Anyone know how thick the new Hope F20s are?

Full bearings sound good, I wonder what the tradeoff is with platform thickness. Hope hasn't posted any measurements.
    sixteen

mtbr member
    What did I not like about the ultimates? Their pin formation results in no concave action. Small platform.
    Small platform? The Ultimates?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post

You might consider Sombrio. Their shoes are uncharacteristically subdued looking, and are narrower than 5.10s. I bought a pair of Loams for cheap from Backcountry. Fit is pretty true to size.
    Figured I'd update my shoe situation, thankfully it's not riding weather here yet, so I've been real picky in finding something that fits me well, similar to my previous beloved Vans fit (narrow and not bulky) and I've been sitting on a pair of Shimano AM41 size 46 from backcountry.com for $59.99 that I scored a few months ago. Still not my ideal size as I have a ton of toe wiggle room, I recently ordered some 5.10 Freeriders in black/grey for $80 a pair in 10.5, 11, and 11.5 because no one stocks these locally and I really wanted to like them and get the fit right. First impressions of them were horrendous. Big, bulky, and a cheap looking upper for sure, looked like a skating shoe from Walmart. The stealth rubber soles were nice, I'll give them that, but the minute I put them on, I knew they were going back asap. Size wise the 11 was perfect, but still way too wide, and to get them to my liking, I really had to tighten down the laces, to the point where my foot was aching. Their fit wasn't their attribute. Plus they were quite heavy compared to the Shimano AM41. Fast forward to last week and caught glimpse on Pinkbike that Sombrio was having a clearance 60% sale on their website to move this year's kits. They had most of their footwear from $35-$47, quite substantial savings compared to original pricing. But again, never trying on a pair before, it took me a couple days to bite the bullet and order a pair. But here's the kicker, their clearance sale had no return policy meaning I'd be stuck with an ill fitting shoe, plus shipping was quite high, around $20.

I knew departmentofgoods.com had some left in stock, but not in my size, and the only other US-based website I could find with Sombrios in stock was JensonUSA. Figured I would try to get them to price-match Sombrio's sale on the last 11.5 pair they had in stock. So for under $42, I purchased a pair of the Float low tops in black and they came in today. Sizing and fit is exactly what I've been looking for from the get-go. Stiff soles, narrow uppers, low key aesthetics, and overall well made first impressions. The sole construction and quality doesn't look far off from the 5.10s. Weight's on par with the Shimano AM41, and once the Sombrios get broken in, I have a feeling I'll be a return customer, and looks like CRC has plenty in stock for under $60.

As for the Shimano AM41, I'll keep those too, as soon as I can track down a size 45 for comparison. But let me tell you, flat pedal shoe buying is tough for a sneakerhead.
    konahonzo

mtbr member

Regarding BMW Shinburgers selling for $300 used

Hank, you must not ride fixed gear because you'd need foot retention. e.g. toe straps, clips, or clipless.

Try first before you knock. Don't know the buyer or seller but I imagine since those pedals were made in the USA, they're unavailable, rarer every day, and for someone going for the baddest, heaviest, beast like pedals, you gotta pay to play.
    Last edited by metrotuned; 04-01-2013 at 01:23 AM. Reason: Foot Retention 101
    Lead actor Will of the Sun, Author Platform Pedal Shootout 900K+ views

mtbr member
    Illnacord,

No, I don't ride a fixie, don't use toe straps and and have come to the conclusion that for me clipless pedals are only good for road bikes.

Sorry dude, didn't mean to ruffle your feathers,

Hank

P.S. Is that a picture of Mao Zedong?

Twentieth Century Atlas - Death Tolls

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    wellgo MG-1s work the best for me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    For the price you can't for wrong. Big platform and probably just need some longer pins but other than that. They are awesome for ~$45.

Can anyone measure how thick these are?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdhunt0 View Post
    17mm
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    17mm
    Thanks

mtbr member

clearly u dont know your way around an allen key huh?
    no concave for the ultimates?
    says who
    Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-crampon.jpg

small platform?
    you know your way around BSing about stuff
    14' Canfield Jedi - The fast just got faster!
    15' Canfield Balance - The go to guy of the bike world!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    So I thought I'd share my experience in case it helps anyone in a similar position.

I decide to try flats again after over 10 years on clipless. I decided to start with Shimano Saint pedals, figured half way between the high dollar pedals and a step up from the Wellgo.

I just have some older skate shoes for now. After my first ride on the Shimanos, I took them off. It constantly felt as if the pedal wanted to roll under my foot. Hated it. That was last year before the winter.

Just this week I said screw it and bought the Crampon Ultimate. Just came back from my first ride, so much better, never had the feeling that the pedal wanted to roll, same shoes as before.

So, I can't say it was the Ultimate pedals since I haven't ridden any other really thin pedals, but I will suggest getting the thinnest flats you can to make the transition easy/better.
    Last edited by TwoTone; 04-16-2013 at 05:18 AM.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    So I thought I'd share my experience in case it helps anyone in a similar position.

I decide to try flats again after over 10 years on clipless. I decided to start with Shimano Saint pedals, figured half way between the high dollar pedals and a step up from the Wellgo.

I just have some older skate shoes for now. After my first ride on the Shimanos, I took them off. It constantly felt as if the pedal wanted to roll under my foot. Hated it. That was last year before the winter.

Just this week a said screw it and bought the Crampon Ultimate. Just came back from my first ride, so much better, never had the feeling that the pedal wanted to roll, same shoes as before.

So, I can't say it was the Ultimate pedals since I haven't ridden any other really thin pedals, but I will suggest getting the thinnest flats you can to make the transition easy/better.
    Sounds like the problem is seized bearings which could happen to any pedal.

Glad u like the Ultis.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 2_WD View Post
    Sounds like the problem is seized bearings which could happen to any pedal.

Glad u like the Ultis.
    How does that sound like seized bearings?

It's the thicker platform of the pedal that makes it tend to rotate more under foot. The shimanos were brand new and no the bearings weren't seized or even difficult to spin
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

7MGTE
    Thanks for that. I know stuff happens sometimes. I eventually will need another set and another set for another bike. So, yes I will contact you when that time comes.
    No problem just an old Canfield Brothers grassroots rider trying to get you on some ultimates. Since I do not actually work at CBs and away from a PC for days at a time its best to contact them directly.

801-548-2556 or email sales@canfieldbrothers.com

Quote Originally Posted by jdhunt0 View Post
    Do you measure from tips of the pins on the edge of the pedals? Or do you measure the thickest part of the platform itself, not counting the inboard bearing area?

mtbr member

Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...

Small platform? The Ultimates?
    Small for him. I think I remember slimphatty opting for the DMR Vaults, which are quite a bit bigger.

Before the ultimates I had some Deity Decoys which were marginally wider, and little bit shorter front to back. I prefer the ultimates smaller platform - I can't remember the last time I had a pedal strike and I used to get them all the time with the decoys.

Regarding the concave/convex issue, I've always played with pin length to get the shape I want. I run a super short pin in the spindle area and the regular pin along the front and back. Feels good, but I'm wondering what a convex pattern would feel like...

mtbr member

Re: Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...

Funny, i have my old deity decoys, and decided to measure the width of the pedal,
    The ultimate pedal is 106mm side to side and the decoy is .... Platform Pedal Shootout, the best flat is...-uploadfromtaptalk1365751954852.jpg
    14' Canfield Jedi - The fast just got faster!
    15' Canfield Balance - The go to guy of the bike world!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    What ever happened to the Flypaper pedal? Is Momentum Bicycles even in business?
    Never mind - I just talked to Dean. A lot of lessons to be learned here.
    Last edited by abboberg; 04-15-2013 at 09:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I've skimmed through the thread and am looking at the Shimano DX80, Deity Compound, or VP Components Vice. The VP and Shimanos come in at around $80 and the Deity are about $50 (I've posted links below for reference). I'm open to other suggestions as long as the maintenance isn't too bad, the bearings are reliable, and they can be rebuilt. I'm no bike mechanic, and would rather spend my time riding than rebuilding bearings.

I'm looking for a set of pedals for mostly XC/AM riding. A lot of the riding is fire roads, mild single track, and a lot of short climbs and descends. It is mildly sandy for the most part, but nothing too bad. I'll mainly be using them with flat sole, size 10 skate shoes. I may buy dedicated MTB shoes in the future, but don't plan to any time soon.

Out of the pedals listed (or any other <$100 pedals), which would be best for my uses?

Deity:
    Deity Compound Pedals > Components > Pedals, Cleats, Toe Clips, Straps > Pedals | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Shimano:
    Shimano MX80 Saint Pedals > Components > Pedals, Cleats, Toe Clips, Straps > Pedals | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

VP:
    Amazon.com: VP Components Vice Downhill or Freeride Pedals (9/16-Inch, Black): Sports & Outdoors

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Wattser93 View Post
    I've skimmed through the thread and am looking at the Shimano DX80, Deity Compound, or VP Components Vice. The VP and Shimanos come in at around $80 and the Deity are about $50 (I've posted links below for reference). I'm open to other suggestions as long as the maintenance isn't too bad, the bearings are reliable, and they can be rebuilt. I'm no bike mechanic, and would rather spend my time riding than rebuilding bearings.

I'm looking for a set of pedals for mostly XC/AM riding. A lot of the riding is fire roads, mild single track, and a lot of short climbs and descends. It is mildly sandy for the most part, but nothing too bad. I'll mainly be using them with flat sole, size 10 skate shoes. I may buy dedicated MTB shoes in the future, but don't plan to any time soon.

Out of the pedals listed (or any other <$100 pedals), which would be best for my uses?

Deity:
    Deity Compound Pedals > Components > Pedals, Cleats, Toe Clips, Straps > Pedals | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Shimano:
    Shimano MX80 Saint Pedals > Components > Pedals, Cleats, Toe Clips, Straps > Pedals | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

VP:
    Amazon.com: VP Components Vice Downhill or Freeride Pedals (9/16-Inch, Black): Sports & Outdoors

If you want I'll sell you my one ride Saints.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    If you want I'll sell you my one ride Saints.
    Any reason for wanting to sell them after only one ride?

I'm willing to spend the money on decent pedals, but was trying to stay within a reasonable budget, and would rather not buy something that I'll end up wanting to replace quickly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Any reason for wanting to sell them after only one ride?

I'm willing to spend the money on decent pedals, but was trying to stay within a reasonable budget, and would rather not buy something that I'll end up wanting to replace quickly.
    See post #1151 above.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Deity:

Shimano:

VP:
    Interesting, I take about a week (not continuous time obviously) to read through this whole thread, and am ready to post my question which is very similar to this one ^^^

But, I'll add some more detail:

I ride All Mountain, not DH (but as noted earlier in posts, this is the flat pedal thread)
    I weigh 170lbs, and have a size 9 U.S. shoe

I'm looking for the best pedal which

- Is between $50 and $100 I (maybe I'll go to $125) as I want quality
    - Is well under 500g as I'm doing all mountain
    - Pretty much zero maintenance and most reliable (no bearing problems, no CS issues, etc.)
    - Has through drilled pins
    - Can be purchased in the U.S.
    - Thinner is better
    - Larger platform is better but I'm only a U.S. size 9
    - I think a concave pedal would be best

Price seems to eliminate the consensus fav Ultimates, quality and issues seem to eliminate a number of others (VP? Straitline? HT and copies?), through pin requirement eliminates some others...

What's the options left give my preferences/situation?
    ... DMR Vaults or Shimano Saints if I can get the right price?

Thx!!

mtbr member
    e13 - bashed, smashed still going strong...If you want GRIP this is GRIPPY! Big platform, thin, light!
    Folangag

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Crampton Ultimate Magnesiums on my Cannondale Bad Boy. Forward thinking design to improve function is evident.

I rode the Crampon Ultimates at a Banshee Demo. They are super grippy and were big enough for my size 9 (US) FiveTen Karvers! The demo guy seemed to be pleased with them, despite having to replace a full set of pins on 'em. I believe he said they were the least problematic flat pedals on the fleet.

mtbr member
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4-Xn0cB3qbo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

» 2014 Point One Racing Podium Pedal Prototype - Sick Lines ? mountain bike reviews, news, videos | Your comprehensive downhill and freeride mountain bike resource

I must say, I'm pretty stoked for these, loved my V1 Podiums, but hated the reliability of the small bearings on the end of the axle. This season I'm on DMR Vaults (which I have yet to get a ride on) BUT these new V2 Podiums are looking good I must say. Hopefully the new small bearings will not self-explode like on my last 2 previous sets of V1 Podiums.
    Last edited by eurospek; 04-20-2013 at 11:23 AM.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4-Xn0cB3qbo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

» 2014 Point One Racing Podium Pedal Prototype - Sick Lines ? mountain bike reviews, news, videos | Your comprehensive downhill and freeride mountain bike resource

I must say, I'm pretty stoked for these, loved my V1 Podiums, but hated the reliability of the small bearings on the end of the axle. This season I'm on DMR Vaults (which I have yet to get a ride on) BUT these new V2 Podiums are looking good I must say. Hopefully the new small bearings will not self-explode like on my last 2 previous sets of V1 Podiums.
    Yeah, those do like nice... I sold my V1 Podiums as well... just couldn't get comfortable on them... now have the Hope F20 flats and of all the pedals I have tried (Straitline Amp, HT AE01, Shimano Saint, Canfield Ultimates, Point One Podiums) these suit me the best.... amazing grip, no funny bulges, reasonably light, spin smoothly, and great pin design. These I will keep.

^^^yeah that. f20's are amazing. 3 bearings and no crappy DU bushings that wear out quickly as in other brands. it does have a norglide bush, but with 3 cartridge bearings i cant see it wearing out that fast. we shall see. i have about 250 miles on them now. most of that has been sloppy contions too

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwrinkle View Post
    ^^^yeah that. f20's are amazing. 3 bearings and no crappy DU bushings that wear out quickly as in other brands. it does have a norglide bush, but with 3 cartridge bearings i cant see it wearing out that fast. we shall see. i have about 250 miles on them now. most of that has been sloppy contions too
    But are fully sealed bearings always going to be better than DU bushings? With my Podium experience, they run 4 sealed bearings, 1 big near the crank, and 3 small ones on the axle end, and I've found those to self-explode at different rates. First set lasted maybe half a season of riding, and the second set lasted 2 rides this winter before Point1 finally ended up replacing my pedals with new ones. The old set does make a nice paper weight on my desk though lol and I have yet to ride the replacement warranty set. What led me to the DMR Vaults was in fact their simple 1 big bearing and 1 big DU bushing that doesn't require more than a regrease during the season. I haven't stumbled upon any threads of them wearing out too quickly unlike the miniscule DU bushings on pedals like the HT AE01 EVO and the like.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    But are fully sealed bearings always going to be better than DU bushings? With my Podium experience, they run 4 sealed bearings, 1 big near the crank, and 3 small ones on the axle end, and I've found those to self-explode at different rates. First set lasted maybe half a season of riding, and the second set lasted 2 rides this winter before Point1 finally ended up replacing my pedals with new ones. The old set does make a nice paper weight on my desk though lol and I have yet to ride the replacement warranty set. What led me to the DMR Vaults was in fact their simple 1 big bearing and 1 big DU bushing that doesn't require more than a regrease during the season. I haven't stumbled upon any threads of them wearing out too quickly unlike the miniscule DU bushings on pedals like the HT AE01 EVO and the like.
    I'm not too worried about the F20s... Hope has a pretty good reputation with product testing and these took forever to hit the market... I am sure they will be just fine.

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    New Podiums look nice, thought not enough to make me switch as the ones I have now are great. I do like that they covered up the axle though.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

mtbr member
    Doesn't solve the current Podium's issue of the bulge in the middle and the bearing interfering with rider's feet.

I've still got my Podiums, but I much prefer the Staritlines on my other bike because they're a nicer shape under my foot. Why designers persist in making pedals with a bulge in the middle is beyond me, it completely negates the advantages of a thin pedal.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    I've been wondering about the Hopes and the comments about "no bushings!"

From the Hope site:

The axle is made of high strength Cr-Mo, heat treated and plated. The platform is slightly concave in shape and is supported by one Norglide bush and 3 cartridge bearings in a fully sealed chamber to ensure a long lasting and maintenance free running .
    Isn't that 3 bearings and a polymer bushing?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    anyone know the thicknesss and width & length of the Hope platforms? Didn't see that info on the Hope site.
    Originally posted by bucksaw87
    I still fail to see how mustaches, fixies, and PBR are ironic.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    anyone know the thicknesss and width & length of the Hope platforms? Didn't see that info on the Hope site.
    Just measured mine... they are 100m x 100m and thickness is a consistent 14mm...

not like 2mm is a biggie, but i got 16mm on my hopes all day. i do have a chinese caliper so that might explain it, lol.

my experiences w/ DU bushings are they wear out way to fast, some on a virgin rides. as far as the bearings go, there are many that look alike but def dont perform the same. im sure you are aware of this. even "high end" products sometimes skimp.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    not like 2mm is a biggie, but i got 16mm on my hopes all day. i do have a chinese caliper so that might explain it, lol.
    Those sound like pre-production measurements (just kidding)... it was dark in my garage when I measured them... me bad.

meow, meow.
    FWIW, DU bushings on generic 17 mm Taiwanese pedals (but not the newer "super thin" pedals, which I have no experience with, yet) typically last much better than described above. And the plastic bushings on Straitline pedals too.

mtbr member
    FWIW, DU bushings on generic 17 mm Taiwanese pedals (but not the newer "super thin" pedals, which I have no experience with, yet) typically last much better than described above. And the plastic bushings on Straitline pedals too.
    Likewise, I have a set of HT Nano AN01 pedals (1 DU bush) on my other bike and they've been spinning just as good when they were new. And that was 2 years ago. Zero maintenance. And I mean zero, I've never taken them apart for anything. Ton of abuse too. And they cost 1/4 of how much I've spent on the Podiums if you want to include new bearings and the removal tool.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I posted a page back about budget flats and ended up going with the Spank Spikes instead. It's more than I wanted to spend, but in the long run I'm sure I'll be happier in the long run than buying a budget pair of flats.

No Clue Crew
    I posted a page back about budget flats and ended up going with the Spank Spikes instead. It's more than I wanted to spend, but in the long run I'm sure I'll be happier in the long run than buying a budget pair of flats.
    Oh, you're gonna love the Spikes! I still can't believe the bruising I give these things every ride and I've only replaced ONE pin so far...

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Does anyone know where I can purchase replacement pins online, I already used the extras that came with the pedals. I tried jenson but they didnt have the small pins. I have the HT-Evo A01 flats

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yem999 View Post
    Does anyone know where I can purchase replacement pins online, I already used the extras that came with the pedals. I tried jenson but they didnt have the small pins. I have the HT-Evo A01 flats
    Bolt Depot - Nuts and Bolts, Screws and Fasteners online is where I ordered mine. You can also try the hardware drawers at Home Depot or Lowes.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Bolt Depot - Nuts and Bolts, Screws and Fasteners online is where I ordered mine. You can also try the hardware drawers at Home Depot or Lowes.
    You just need to know the sizes then you can get the pins easily from many places. My local Home Depot doesn't carry much metric stuff so I ordered from eBay. The stock grub screws are M3x8 (I replaced with M3x6 to produce more concavity on the pedal surface) I think the through bolt pins are also M3, not sure of the length.

Also bear in mind the stock pins are aluminum, so a rock strike here or there means you're crushing/tearing pins often. I also have a set of Point1 Podiums (steel pins) and I haven't replaced a single one yet. Steel is a touch heavier, but worth not having the hassle of extracting and replacing mushed up alu pins all the time.

mtbr member
    how long DU bearing/bushings last depend on riding condition and how good is the seal
    16 Trek Farley 5 W/2XL snowshoe
    07 Kona Stab
    14 Specialized Fatboy
    04 Giant Simple
    04 SC V10

My Parts for sale link

i suppose youre right on the seal, but the last set of pedals i had w/ the shitty seals & shitty CS put a bad taste in my mouth. 25 to 30 miles and bushings shouldnt break down into pieces

mtbr member
    sounds like heat built up just shattered the DU, there are 2 most likely reasons for heat to build up, lack of lubrication or something(dirt, mud) trapped in between the DU and spindle, either ways you will see a lot of wear or even black marks on the spindle.

both DU setup and sealed bearing pedals all have there dis-adv and advs .

DU pedals(Canfield crampon , vp-001, VP vice ) is much easier and simpler to maintain , but it needs constant take apart, clean and regrease if lots of dirt and mud gets in the spindle. it needs it even without dirt and mud , otherwise you can feel play in the spindle depending on how much pedaling time you got. once the DU or spindle is worn out , you might as well just buy another set of pedals if its not those $150 dollar ones.

sealed bearing pedals will last longer in muddy/dusty riding without any maintenance , it will last almost forever if you rarely get dust in spindle. but when you change the bearings, you need small size bearing puller , it would take a lot more time to change the bearings , also the pedal body can be damaged if the bearings doesnt go in or come out straight.

i hope i didnt miss anything and someone will find this helpful
    07 Kona Stab
    14 Specialized Fatboy
    04 Giant Simple
    04 SC V10

My Parts for sale link

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by akacoke View Post
    sounds like heat built up just shattered the DU, there are 2 most likely reasons for heat to build up, lack of lubrication or something(dirt, mud) trapped in between the DU and spindle, either ways you will see a lot of wear or even black marks on the spindle.

both DU setup and sealed bearing pedals all have there dis-adv and advs .

DU pedals(Canfield crampon , vp-001, VP vice ) is much easier and simpler to maintain , but it needs constant take apart, clean and regrease if lots of dirt and mud gets in the spindle. it needs it even without dirt and mud , otherwise you can feel play in the spindle depending on how much pedaling time you got. once the DU or spindle is worn out , you might as well just buy another set of pedals if its not those $150 dollar ones.

sealed bearing pedals will last longer in muddy/dusty riding without any maintenance , it will last almost forever if you rarely get dust in spindle. but when you change the bearings, you need small size bearing puller , it would take a lot more time to change the bearings , also the pedal body can be damaged if the bearings doesnt go in or come out straight.

i hope i didnt miss anything and someone will find this helpful
    Anyone know which type the DMR Vaults are... and any comments on experience with them with regard to maintenance or bushings/bearings issues?

nope, no dust, water or mud. i packed em before maiden voyage as they were sent with lil grease in them. must have been a QC issue but i was never dealt w/ in a professional manner so i wrote the company off and moved on. there were many pedals stock piled on a suppliers counter w/ same issues. maybe i will try DU bush pedals again due to everyone migrating that way, but im very happy with my f20's with a several hundo miles and no maintenance. ride em in the worst of the worst also.

mtbr member
    ive always wipe the grease on DU and repack them with very thick synthetic marin grease just in case.

nope, no dust, water or mud. i packed em before maiden voyage as they were sent with lil grease in them. must have been a QC issue but i was never dealt w/ in a professional manner so i wrote the company off and moved on. there were many pedals stock piled on a suppliers counter w/ same issues. maybe i will try DU bush pedals again due to everyone migrating that way, but im very happy with my f20's with a several hundo miles and no maintenance. ride em in the worst of the worst also.
    07 Kona Stab
    14 Specialized Fatboy
    04 Giant Simple
    04 SC V10

My Parts for sale link

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WilsonDoL View Post
    Anyone know which type the DMR Vaults are... and any comments on experience with them with regard to maintenance or bushings/bearings issues?
    Vaults (and a lot of pedals in fact) are both. There is a bearing at the end of the axle and a bushing next to the crank with a simple O ring seal.

Maintenance wise, not much to be honest. The axle/bearings/seals are much the same as V12s, if you ride a lot or in bad weather you'll likely need new bushings once a year, the bearings run and run. Taking them apart to change a bushing is dead easy too.

marine grease is all i use.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post
    Vaults (and a lot of pedals in fact) are both. There is a bearing at the end of the axle and a bushing next to the crank with a simple O ring seal.

Maintenance wise, not much to be honest. The axle/bearings/seals are much the same as V12s, if you ride a lot or in bad weather you'll likely need new bushings once a year, the bearings run and run. Taking them apart to change a bushing is dead easy too.
    I don't do much of any riding in bad weather (I'm never in mud) - so odds are these are zero maintenance for me?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WilsonDoL View Post
    I don't do much of any riding in bad weather (I'm never in mud) - so odds are these are zero maintenance for me?
    There's no such thing as zero maintenance! But certainly low maintenance.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    7 years on Wellgo MG1s, never maintained. 5-6 years on ATAC ROCs, never maintained. Both sets are still spin great. Pretty close to zero in my book, unless you count putting grease on the threads as maintenance!

Quote Originally Posted by womble View Post
    7 years on Wellgo MG1s, never maintained. 5-6 years on ATAC ROCs, never maintained. Both sets are still spin great. Pretty close to zero in my book, unless you count putting grease on the threads as maintenance!
    avg. miles per wk and what conditions?

mtbr member
    I have a few friends on the Canfield Crampons (both the ultimates and the originals). They use du bushings, and over time they do develop a tiny bit of play. When I say tiny I mean maybe a hundredth of an inch or so. Just enough to feel it with a hand, but not feel or hear anything while pedaling. The interesting part is that they tend to stay at that point for a very long time without maintenance. They just keep going and going. My bering pedals rolled very smoothly, but when they started to wear down, they were trashed very quickly. I have a new pair of ultimates, so I can't give a long term report yet, but I will update when I feel they have been properly broken in.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

meow, meow.
    I've been riding my Alu pinned Straitline AMPs in summer shoes (Shimano AM40) for a while now. Was worried about grip, shouldn't have. Grip is there. Less than with stock pins but sufficient. Beaten soles and calves are thankful for not so predatory pins. )

Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 347