mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Pig DH Pro brearing problems

Hey, I noticed my bars could move freely forward-backward. So I took the stem off and I saw this:

Do I need a new headset or can I find that bearing piece somewhere? My bike is a 2000 Specialized Big Hit and I THINK this is the same part: http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/141...=30&zmap=14141

What's up with the star nut? It's installed in the fork? What would I need to do to fix my bike? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    that is the same one. i would go for a new one def, and have a shop make sure that your headtube is still ok. also, get a sealed headset. most likley all the **** in there is bc they dont have sealed bearing like king, cane creek etc.

Pivotal figure
    Well, your bearing is definitely wasted but you can probably get replacement parts for it. I have one for reference and the only info on the upper bearing is "TH Industries 1-1/8 ACB36x36 872". The lower bearing is easier, it's "6906RS NTN". It's probably going to be easier to just replace the entire headset, especially since it only costs $35. The other issue is that there's no guarantee that your race isn't messed up (part the bearing rolls on) so new bearings may not last. The star nut should be OK, it's already in your fork. If you do get a new HS you have to be careful removing the old one and installing the new one. If you haven't done it before see if someone you ride with has the tools or go to your LBS and have them do it. Either way, watch and learn so you can do it yourself .

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SJensen
    that is the same one. i would go for a new one def, and have a shop make sure that your headtube is still ok. also, get a sealed headset. most likley all the **** in there is bc they dont have sealed bearing like king, cane creek etc.
    Thanks. I'm pretty sure the headtube is ok, I can't find any cracks...but I will make sure tomorrow. Oh and all the **** in there is the internal plastic bearing holder...it broke and cracked up. Nothing else got inside, because it IS a sealed bearing. It's a second-hand bike so I don't know how old the headset is, but it was ok when I got it. I did have a big spill a while back where the handlebars got torqued pretty well. That must have done it!

I looked for the upper bearing and couldn't find it anywhere online, so it looks like I'll be getting a new headset tomorrow. I just tried to take off the top cup with a big wrench and a rag, but that thing is very tight! The bottom of the headset is fine and the top looks good now that I took the bearing and race out. But it looks like they put red locktight on there! If I buy a new one, I'll just leave the cups? on the headtube and throw the new bearing on top. I just don't want to pay $20 for someone to take the good top cup out and put a new one in.

Oh one more question. Does anyone know if Cambria bike shops do in-store "price smashing"? I found the Pig DH Pro for $25 at BlueSky.
    Last edited by kennyb03; 09-09-2007 at 05:35 PM.

I post too much.
    Time for a new headset.

Meh.
    Headset cups are not threaded... Please do not try and remove or install a headset at this point... Take it the LBS, let them remove, install, and adjust.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Ok thanks, I won't try to remove that!

mtbr member
    if you dont have proper tools to remove, install the hs you will have a brand new headset end up looking like that pretty quick. The longevity of headsets and all bearing for that matter is a matter of 1/10th of milimeters..the reason you face a headtube.

my 2 cents spend the $20 it will be worth it if you want to have a smooth headset.

Pivotal figure
    Yeah, those cups are pressed in and pounded out. That's where a little experience will save you some grief as it's very easy to mess up your headtube if you just start hammering away with a screwdriver. $20 may seem high until you ruin your frame and have to get a new one (Been there before, embarassing).

just along for the ride
    The top of the set is toast, its the weak link of that headset set. I will not post how bad I toasted mine for really no reason. Just drop in a unsealed pig top and you should be