mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Padded impact shorts?

I purchased a set of Sette impact shorts from Pricepoint. I noticed that the large hip pads get in the way when pedalling. I looked @ a few others on- line & the Hoots and 661 bombers look like you could pedal better w/ them. Any suggestions, brands? Thanx

Jm.
    mtbr member
    huggies?
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

TNC
    noMAD man

Huggies?...you're bad...LMAO!

Quote Originally Posted by Jm.
    huggies?
    Well, seriously, I've had no experience with padded bicycle shorts, but I have used a set of FOX lycra motorcycle innershorts for more protection on some particularly gnary rides I knew I was going to do. These things have some insert pads that slip into some slots in 3 places in the shorts--sides (hips) and crotch area. The pads are not so large as to be obtrusive or annoying. You can wear a pair of regular baggy shorts over these, so the whole deal is similar to a pair of bicycle baggies with a lycra inner liner. The pads are unique on these Fox innershorts in that they have bunches of holes designed in them so they breathe, which is a real advantage on a bike. Just another take on what you're trying to accomplish. Oh, and Jm...no comments on "pads", "wings", "maxi" or anything like that...LOL!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    Well, seriously, I've had no experience with padded bicycle shorts, but I have used a set of FOX lycra motorcycle innershorts for more protection on some particularly gnary rides I knew I was going to do. These things have some insert pads that slip into some slots in 3 places in the shorts--sides (hips) and crotch area. The pads are not so large as to be obtrusive or annoying. You can wear a pair of regular baggy shorts over these, so the whole deal is similar to a pair of bicycle baggies with a lycra inner liner. The pads are unique on these Fox innershorts in that they have bunches of holes designed in them so they breathe, which is a real advantage on a bike. Just another take on what you're trying to accomplish. Oh, and Jm...no comments on "pads", "wings", "maxi" or anything like that...LOL!
    I went to Fox's website and found their MX Comp Air shorts - look like boxxer breifs. Looking for something a little more durable.

Former Noob Herder
    i pad my shorts after the really hard landings....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I like the MSR shorts

Quote Originally Posted by keen
    I purchased a set of Sette impact shorts from Pricepoint. I noticed that the large hip pads get in the way when pedalling. I looked @ a few others on- line & the Hoots and 661 bombers look like you could pedal better w/ them. Any suggestions, brands? Thanx
    I use the MSR padded shorts, they have two hard plastic pads on the sides. you can get them at a dirt bike motorcycle shop or online morocycle shops.
    Erik,
    Balle Racing
    www.balleracing.com

pdh
    mtbr member
    I've got the Fox Motocross shorts. I can't remember the name of them, but they got thin hip pads that are removable. I use them downhilling, they'd be to heavy for alot of pedalling

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Rockgardn?

I really like the Rockgardn shorts. You wear them under another pair of shorts... they have a good amount of padding and it's well placed, doesn't seem to interfere with pedaling at all. I haven't worn them cross-country, but for a whole day of riding at Northstar, I don't really notice them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by keen
    I have a couple pairs of padded shorts that I wear under my "freeride" shorts - I prefer the 661's (Hoot's are VERY similar and probably cheaper if you reside in the Great White North eh?) - light material that is mesh (but comfy) and pads on the hips and protecting the tailbone - great product

Glad to Be Alive
    hey mac Do you have a linK

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    hey mac Do you have a linK

sure...

http://www.vsportgroup.com/gear/support_bomber.html