mtbr member

The "Other" Marin Quad DH Build Thread

Picked up my Quad DH frame yesterday. It is a crash replacement for my cracked 2010 Quake 7.9. Marin is a GREAT company and they certainly did right by me with this one. Too bad they seem to be moving away from big bikes.

The Quad DH frame looks goofy in most pictures but is the sh*t in person. Very nice attention to detail.

Started swaping parts over from the Quake. My 9 speed Saint stuff is a little beat so I ordered Zee cranks (needed wider spacing), 10 speed derailure, and shifter. I am going to rebuild the M810 brakes.

I rented a GT Ruckus at Highland last weekend and it had a Funn Fatboy 810mm bar, felt great so I order one for the new Marin to replace the Atlas FRs.

I will post up pictures when she is complete.

Thinking about also running a Totem but seems wrong: 7.1 front and 9.8 rear.

MGS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The "Other" Marin Quad DH Build Thread-dsc04481a.jpg  

Last edited by mgs781; 11-24-2012 at 04:37 PM.

ride more
    Mar 2007
    nice

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mgs781 View Post
    Picked up my Quad DH frame yesterday. It is a crash replacement for my cracked 2010 Quake 7.9. Marin is a GREAT company and they certainly did right by me with this one. Too bad they seem to be moving away from big bikes.

MGS
    Let me guess, it's the brace between the TT and downtube right?

9.8 in the "rear" hehehe...
    Folangag

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by darkzeon View Post
    Let me guess, it's the brace between the TT and downtube right?

9.8 in the "rear" hehehe...
    Yes, it was the brace to top tube joint. Cracked just behind the weld. The crack was half way up the top tube before I found it.

I actually spent hours lubbing and tightening the pivots due to the creaking - it was the frame.

Is this common? You don't see many posts on the Marins here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Not a fan of Marins but that looks pretty tidy, great components too! So how do these ride? Can you say if it resembles some other bike ridewise?
    2011 Custom Transition TR250

bike rider
    Nice Build!!! These ride Great! I got to ride one in Boulder City Nevada and I'm replacing my Specialized Demo with it. It kinda rides like a Santa Cruz V10, kinda.
    I got some pretty decent Niners!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pädi View Post
    Not a fan of Marins but that looks pretty tidy, great components too!
    I'm with you there but not half bad. Very unique looking suspension design and the color scheme is well done too.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    If these hadn't been blue then I would have grabbed one last season (not a fan of blue). Bike looks good.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnozpikr View Post
    I'm with you there but not half bad. Very unique looking suspension design and the color scheme is well done too.
    Well I sure give 'em props for going a different road than the others, guess its just the bulkyness I don't like so much, looks like the frame would weigh 6kg or something o_O Same reason I don't really like Orange bikes. With the right components (like the ones on your bike) any bike can look sexy though, including this one
    2011 Custom Transition TR250

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mgs781 View Post
    Yes, it was the brace to top tube joint. Cracked just behind the weld. The crack was half way up the top tube before I found it.

I actually spent hours lubbing and tightening the pivots due to the creaking - it was the frame.

Is this common? You don't see many posts on the Marins here.
    I guess that's the weak point on that frame. Had the same problem when I owned one. Hopefully they have addressed that with the newer design. I had enjoyed the time riding it.

Here was mine. That's a BB7 mech brake btw .

Folangag

mtbr member
    Weak point on the 2010 as well. loved this bike, was my first proper park bike. Loved that I was one of only a couple at Highland on any given day. The suspension is/was super progressive. Totems rock, I don't care what anyone says.

The quake certainly was capable, but I guess the big drops did it in. Hopefully the Quad DH doesn't suffer the same fate.

2013 Scott Gambler 10 on order as well, so maybe this gets sold next season anyway.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The "Other" Marin Quad DH Build Thread-quake-7.9.jpg  

The "Other" Marin Quad DH Build Thread-quake-crack.jpg  

Glad to Be Alive
    nice
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member

Progress

Got my seatpost, cassette, cranks, shifter, chain, and derailure. The Zee stuff is nice, almost as nice as Saint 810 components. I have been running an XT shadow plus on my trail bike and it does a great job at keeping things quiet.

Sitting at 37 lbs without brakes and pedals. Zee brakes, Highroller IIs, and Cainfield Ultimates on the way. Bike should be just over 39 lbs complete.

I am very pleased so far,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The "Other" Marin Quad DH Build Thread-dsc04544small.jpg  

bike rider
    Great build so far! I'm still waiting on King hubs, Twenty6 Predator pedals and a Fox 40 fork. I hate the waiting.
    I got some pretty decent Niners!

mtbr member

Totem Solo Air

Had some free time, so I threw the Totem on the Team DH. What do you think? Still waiting on the Gambler so I can swap the Zee brakes onto the Team DH, then it will be done.

MGS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The "Other" Marin Quad DH Build Thread-dsc04729.jpg