Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Orange Five Pro 2012

I'm going to get a Orange Five Pro 2012 and i was just wondering if it would be able to go down the Fort William Downhill Track? I will put some maxxis minion or high rollers and get a chain guard. It has 140mm fox suspension at the moment. I will adjust the preload. Just wondered what you thought and in the future might get some stuff you recommend. Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    depends on your ability, as I saw riders using 120mm travel bikes there in August this year!!!!...
    the Fort Bill DH course is a bit relentless and in your face at times... what forks you going to replace the 140mm ones with....

the track is closed until may next year, and they will be adding a stream gap jump to the lower section for next year (so I was told)

mtbr member
    Maybe an ALPINE 160 instead???

Orange Mountain Bikes - Orange Alpine 160

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    dunno if you have stormed the fort before...here is a wee vid that gives the viewer a better idea of rough and gnarly the Orange DH track is..
    Fort William DH 19th May 2012 Jeff followed by Paul.wmv - YouTube

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Davy-g View Post
    depends on your ability, as I saw riders using 120mm travel bikes there in August this year!!!!...
    the Fort Bill DH course is a bit relentless and in your face at times... what forks you going to replace the 140mm ones with....

the track is closed until may next year, and they will be adding a stream gap jump to the lower section for next year (so I was told)
    Im good at downhill, did Glenco downhill a few years ago when i was 13 and manged fine on Kona Stinky's and did the wolf trax the other day on a hardtail, i can manage downhill fine. I was just wondering if the Orange would be up to the job? Maybe get some 160mm or 170mm but don't wont to make it hard on the ups. Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ianjenn View Post
    Maybe an ALPINE 160 instead???

Orange Mountain Bikes - Orange Alpine 160
    Would love one but don't have the money, i'm getting a orange five pro for 1600 second hand in perfect condition, if you see any alpines for around that price please pm me!!! Thanks

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Davy-g;9844742]dunno if you have stormed the fort before...here is a wee vid that gives the viewer a better idea of rough and gnarly the Orange DH track is..
    Fort William DH 19th May 2012 Jeff followed by Paul.wmv - YouTube[

No not done it before but have done Gelnco when i was younger on Kona Stinky's and done wolftrax on a hardtail so I've got the ability but not sure if the Orange has.... Thanks for the video!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Not sure what your skill level is, but after seeing the vid, it seems to me this should be OK - not ideal, and you won't be bombing through the rock gardens but you should still have fun. If you can go with someone who knows the run and gives you tips about the approaching features that may be a bit hairy - you'll be fine. Check the local MTB club, they may have something like a DH intro / clinic / group ride and may give you a 'mentor'

Heck, some people walk their bikes down on certain sections of the hill here - in my book it's still way more better to ride part (most) of the run and walk some than to not ride it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lernr View Post
    Not sure what your skill level is, but after seeing the vid, it seems to me this should be OK - not ideal, and you won't be bombing through the rock gardens but you should still have fun. If you can go with someone who knows the run and gives you tips about the approaching features that may be a bit hairy - you'll be fine. Check the local MTB club, they may have something like a DH intro / clinic / group ride and may give you a 'mentor'

Heck, some people walk their bikes down on certain sections of the hill here - in my book it's still way more better to ride part (most) of the run and walk some than to not ride it
    Great, thanks!

mtbr member
    I mainly want to know if the frames up to it and if people say it is i want to know what components might need upgrading? Thanks

mtbr member
    Anyone tell me if the frames up to it if i put 160mm fox forks on the front and a coil back suspension on the back? Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andythemtbking View Post
    Anyone tell me if the frames up to it if i put 160mm fox forks on the front and a coil back suspension on the back? Thanks
    And With A Maxle swingarm.

mtbr member
    Lol i'm spamming my own thread! And with a chain guide and chainring protector and chain stay protector and other stuff.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I lifted this info right from the orange website.... be quicker for you to drop them an email with your queries, as they are better suited to answer them for you.... straight from the horses mouth so to speak....LOL

Full Suspension Frame Pivot Bearings Paint Maximum
    ST4 & ST4 Diva 2 5 1 140 mm
    Five & Five Diva 3 5 1 160 mm
    Alpine 160 2 5 1 160 mm
    Patriot 1 5 1 200 mm
    224-evolution 1 5 1 200 mm

Orange Mountain Bikes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Davy-g View Post
    I lifted this info right from the orange website.... be quicker for you to drop them an email with your queries, as they are better suited to answer them for you.... straight from the horses mouth so to speak....LOL

Full Suspension Frame Pivot Bearings Paint Maximum
    ST4 & ST4 Diva 2 5 1 140 mm
    Five & Five Diva 3 5 1 160 mm
    Alpine 160 2 5 1 160 mm
    Patriot 1 5 1 200 mm
    224-evolution 1 5 1 200 mm

Orange Mountain Bikes
    Lol, yeah i saw that the max forks on the front were 160mm which is the same as the alpine 160 but no sure about the back, and i'm not sure if the actual frame is up to it. But i will give them a call today as i don't think they have email inquires. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    given the number of people i know that have snapped/cracked orange five frames, i would seriously be asking my self if this frame would indeed be up to or capeable of downhill abuse,,,,,,,
    in my personal opinion i would be looking for somthing alittle bit stronger and more burly for the rigours of downhill, somthing that doesnt have a reputation for cracking.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by delirian View Post
    given the number of people i know that have snapped/cracked orange five frames, i would seriously be asking my self if this frame would indeed be up to or capeable of downhill abuse,,,,,,,
    in my personal opinion i would be looking for somthing alittle bit stronger and more burly for the rigours of downhill, somthing that doesnt have a reputation for cracking.
    I've never heard of an orange frame snapping! There handmade solid nuke-proof pieces of art.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by delirian View Post
    And btw i don't want any Orange haters on here, because you have heard of one person that had a bad frame that was from a bad batch you now hate them. I bet he had a hardtail and was using it downhill or something. And i bet he got a new frame and its been fine since. I would prefer no reply as i don't really care, i have been saving up for one of these for a while and its too late to turn back and i'm very happy with what I've got!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Andythemtbking View Post
    I've never heard of an orange frame snapping! There handmade solid nuke-proof pieces of art.
    i suppose you are right in a way,,,, they do make for good solid art work when you hang the snapped frame on your wall.

but seriously mate. look arround do some research you will find how great or no so great they are, they do have a reputation for cracking,

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    OK, I am no Orange hater, just did some research, as another poster suggested.

In my opinion, I would NOT get this as I don't believe the frame is up to very serious abuse. I don't like the short warranty, and I am not impressed with the customer service examples that I've seen.

If you don't wanna hear it - don't ask the question. But if you are throwing down such a wad, I think you owe it to yourself to be objective, and not overly optimistic.

If I were buying bikes again - I'm not sure what I'd get. But it definitely won't be an Orange.

mtbr member
    OK, I am no Orange hater, just did some research, as another poster suggested.

In my opinion, I would NOT get this as I don't believe the frame is up to very serious abuse. I don't like the short warranty, and I am not impressed with the customer service examples that I've seen.

If you don't wanna hear it - don't ask the question. But if you are throwing down such a wad, I think you owe it to yourself to be objective, and not overly optimistic.

If I were buying bikes again - I'm not sure what I'd get. But it definitely won't be an Orange.
    Okay i'm listening, go send a link with someone with a problem with the frame please? Thanks

mtbr member
    Pretty good review here, Orange Five Pro Review - BikeRadar and i spoke to a expert the other day and he said that it's obviously not built for downhill but it will take it.

mtbr member
    I also know someone who when down Nevis Range on this Specialized hardrock - Hardrock Sport Disc - 2013

I don't even know why i asked this question! lol, i have all the answers i need!! *No Need To Reply As I Have The Answer I Need* Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I had a Hardrock - this is one burly frame, very worthy!

Read through this thread, for example - and judge for yourself. However, you shoud really do more research than this

mtbr member
    I had a Hardrock - this is one burly frame, very worthy!

Read through this thread, for example - and judge for yourself. However, you shoud really do more research than this
    Its a 2008 frame they have made it better in allot of ways over the years and it could of been out of a bad batch. I will do some extra research but from what I've done i'm going to be happy with it. Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast