SILENCE! I KILL YOU!

Orange 222/223 questions

What's the stock shock length of the 222/223?

And has anyone measured the travel of the 222/223 when a shorter shock is fitted?

Hopefully I can get a used frame, get a newer shock like a DHX 5.0...
    Hunter, Simmons, Berrecloth, Watson,Vanderham, Semenuk, Schley, Gulevich, Bourdon, Smith, Moreland, Shandro, Boyko... Bieber.

mtbr member
    i believe the 223 was 9" or there about's, but as for your other questions i do no know.
    Quote Originally Posted by [Orge
    ]
    This problem could quite simply be solved if people would stop buying Konas.

I AM I AM
    I brought a '01 Orange 222, it came with a Fox Vanilla RC, 2.75" stroke and I believe people have said 222mm eye to eye measurement, hence the bikes name but don't know how true it is. Oh hang on pretty sure you're looking at 8.5" eye to eye from my measurements anyway (approx 21.5cm I just measured mine). And according to the specs on the Orange website it gives 8" of travel, but they suggest a fork with max travel of 180mm (I have a Domain), it could differ for the 223 though, not sure.

I'm sure there would be enough shocks to choose from that are 8.5" x 2.75", I know you can see the mounting holes and think that buying a shorter shock (eye to eye) would be fine. But it would have repercussions (ie bike is too slack or hits the seat at full travel), Orange designed it to work best with a certain length and stroke shock so I would stick to that if you can, otherwise you risk pouring money down the drain if something different just doesn't work well or ride well.

And In saying all that I've heard that Push does great things to the Vanilla RC, so that could be a consideration? It may not have as many adjustments as the DHX, but if you can get your bike set up right for the trails you normally ride then what more do you need.

Enjoy your bike, I love mine!

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    Sorry but the plan to get the 222 failed. Still saving up for a frame, though I was able to learn a lot of stuff from my pal who runs a 222. His 5th element shock needs some TLC so he's fixing it now.
    Hunter, Simmons, Berrecloth, Watson,Vanderham, Semenuk, Schley, Gulevich, Bourdon, Smith, Moreland, Shandro, Boyko... Bieber.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    the 223 has a 240mm i think eye to eye and 9" of travel
    Quote Originally Posted by giantsaam
    make dirt bike noises when you go through go brrraaapp brraapppp brraappp it helps keep your mind off how difficult it is

I AM I AM
    The 222 chassis has an adjustable top shock mount which means that the frame angles,
    ride height and wheel base can all be altered to suit any rider or course. You can get a
    super-smooth eight inch swing from the new Extreme Beam rear end for big hitting
    courses, as well as making it into a fast turning, agile sprinter for tight and twisty ones.

A quote above from the Orange website, I think a search for "Orange 222" brings up the old info.

Also not that it seems to matter now but I have a feeling the shock is 8.75 x 2.75 and not 8.5, I must have measured incorrectly!
    And on the Orange website (technical section) it states the shock as bing a 222mm length, which does in fact convert to 8.75.
    They seem to list either the Fox Vanilla RC or the 5th Element, that's for the 222 model anwyay.

What frame are you saving up for now? Still going for a single pivot of sorts?

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    yeah, still a single pivot and still European: a Lapierre Black DH.