Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    BJ-
    Rota Imports

... and if we just ... Opinion: Rmx 04' Pro...

i recently found an RMX Pro (upgraded with a 888r) for 4800 aus...which quite frankly is a bloody bargain...they reatil in aus for about 7000 and with a 888r would then be about 8000+ aus...so im extactic and trying to decide weather or not to go out and buy it (instead of wait for an 05' DW) its in my size...an hour drive away for pick up etc...

i was just wondering about how the actual bike performs...ive never ridden one...or tested out all the new saint gear it decked out with either...and was wondering...what are the pros and cons of the bike...and whats the new saint gear like...im confident it would be an awesome bike...i just wanted to know what ppl thought about them who have ridden them...and how well it would suit me as an intermediate FRer...

i weigh about 130-140lbs...so what weight spring for the 6-way do ppl would think would suit me...and how much do the complete builds weight...im not concerned at all how the things pedals up hills...but how it soaks up drops...how well they jump...how well they keep up speed...how they corner...how easy they are to manual...how they decend down very steep terrain...how manouverable and easy they are to thrash around...etc...i dont consider myself to be the fullest of builds and dont want to get summin thats to hard to thrash around...athough i like very...stiff solid bikes...

also does anyone have any ideas on running maby dual 24"s on it...depending on how tall the bike is will depend on weather or not i think i could run dual 24"s on it and how dramaticly would the bb heaight etc be affected by the change to 24"s...

when i think or more stuff ill post it up but untill then i appriciate all you can give me...

cheers...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    everybody was dressed nice...I had shorts, Rogue T-shirt and sandles

Chillin the Most
    Quote Originally Posted by BJ-
    also does anyone have any ideas on running maby dual 24"s on it...depending on how tall the bike is will depend on weather or not i think i could run dual 24"s on it and how dramaticly would the bb heaight etc be affected by the change to 24"s...
    Sorry I cannot offer more help on the bike itself, but I can offer up some info on the 24 deal. Running dual 24's will lower your bottom bracket approx. 1 inch. Not sure exactly what the BB height is on the RMX Pro, since I have no idea what 7mm BB drop means. Maybe if Zedro reads this he can decipher the canadian BB measurement standard of BB drop.

I personally wouldn't run dual 24's on any bike, unless it was designed to do so. Even though the geometry stays the same, usually lowering the BB too much can cause negative results not worth the hassle(smacking pedals, hitting BB allot, pedals can get caught up on trail debris such as roots). Unless this is going to be an Urban only bike or your not going to have to pedal it allot, I would stick to the stock 26's. *Although I know allot of East Coast US guys run dual 24's and swear by them, but their DH is very different(sections tend to be steeper allowing less pedaling) from West Coast where you have to pedal more to maintain momentum.

Good luck. Sounds like an awesome rig. I believe the 04's were the first of the RM designed bikes that actually didn't have any of the nagging problems (blown shocks; extremely bad leverage ratios) of the earlier designs, like the RM6, RM7 and RM9's.

* This is not actual first hand experience, but more based on the words of friends I have who have raced on both coasts and tell me there is less pedaling on the E.Coast than West for DH.

Doesnt ride Banshees
    i thought you had a demo 9? I'd stay with that over an rmx personally.

l337 |31k3r

humm

I was under the assumption he had a rukus....
    People call me a dick, but I just think im clever.

Honary member of the
    591 club & 773 club.

Quote Originally Posted by Zedro
    what he meant was 'greaser' types, most likely performing choreographed musical outakes which somehow degrade dirt jumps...

Chillin the Most

Oh really!

Quote Originally Posted by zachdank
    that is all a bunch of B.S. once you go dual 24 you will never go back
    BS? Ah, no!! Reality.

Obviously, how often it happens would depend on the bike design, where and how you ride, but it's not opinion or BS it's reality. Since you ride a Banshee your probably correct in saying that for you it doesn't matter, since the Scream has a 16.3" high BB which puts it almost 1" higher to begin with than most FR bikes, which average between 14-15".

Now BS could definitely be defined as telling people that once they try dual 24's they'll never ride 26's again, since that is your opinion and not based on any fact. For as the old saying goes "whats good for you may not be good for everyone". While I understand your enthusiasm, I wouldn't be so bold as to make such an arrogant statement. That is unless your willing to initially pay for the dual 24's and let the rider decide to pay you back after he's had a chance to try them, since your so sure he'll love them!! And I have done this in the past, so it's not such a crazy idea if you really stand behind your convictions.

Chillin the Most
    you sound like a realy smart guy that's trying to make a not so smarrt guy sound even less smart. what ever brotha. i'll stick w/ my convictions or something like that, and say that dual 24's rule!!!! i rocked them on my foes tube. what's the bottom bracket clearance on that? i don't know but it was a sweet ride untill i snappered it. dual 24's rule on everyones bike, even your grandmas. if your bottom bracket is 3 inches high 24's still rule. just don't pedal and send it big. maybee try foot pegs. if you go to the rampage to ride and say your not scared then your a bull$hit artist. i can't wait to get some dual 23" wheels. now say something else that makes you smarter than me. i think i'll go whip my porcupine into a frenzy on some 3" skinnys 15 ft off the ground
    Thank you.

Sorry if you interpreted my factual statements as being some sort of dig at you. I honestly meant no ill regard, actually I think quite the opposite. I do not believe you to be an ignorant person or stupid, just a bit overzealous with regards to your opinions. But whatever. You cool, I cool, we'z all cool.

l337 |31k3r
    Hell, zach could be as intelligent as that loaf I just pinched, have you seen those vids man (not that there is any real question if you have or not). touche on the wez all cool....I think i finally found a friend....wanna go to the movies red?
    People call me a dick, but I just think im clever.

Honary member of the
    591 club & 773 club.

Quote Originally Posted by Zedro
    what he meant was 'greaser' types, most likely performing choreographed musical outakes which somehow degrade dirt jumps...

Disco-Superfly
    well, i cant see much problem running dual 24s. The bb looks really high in that pic.
    Personally, I would only run 24" in the rear, for more acceleration and some braking power due to better leverage ratios. And still have a bigger front wheel to get over bumps easier.
    But if you want dual 24's, id say get them, if anything goes wrong, go back to 26".
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    thaks for the info so far guys...

im gunna go check the geo and see if i could get away with dual 24"s...i really like the idea and am quite game on trying it out...plus dual 24" Trail Pimps on that would look SICK...but im not sure if id put just a 24" on the rear...with an 8" fork up front i think the head angle would become retarded...and from the pic (ill check the stats) it looks pretty slack to begin with...but the cock pit does look sort cramped and the stanover height it rather tall...not sure on that one...

correct me if im wrong tho...dual 24"s will lower the stand over height and BB height and there fore help the bike to corner better and become more manouverable (by that i mean its direction can be changed quicker and more easily seems as in aint gunna topple over) because of the lower center of gravity or summin...which would be kool...ive allways wanted a bike that feels and looks similar to a tanked out YZ80...

anyways...if anyone who riden one could gimmie some insight id really appriciate it...

and i dont know why u thought i have a DEMO9...a mate of mine asked me to ask u guys about DEMOs so im gathering you thought i was aking for myself...but no i dont have one...hes getting a DEMO8 when he can fork out 4000aus for the dam frame...and yes i do have a ruckus...well hopfully not for long seems as im gunna have to sell it to make up the cash to get this baby...

anyways i appriciate te info especially u red...very helpfull...im gunna think alot more about this...especially the 24" wheels...

(also all i would have to do is get new spokes and new rims yes inorder to have 24" wheels yes...its comes with new saint hubs so i dont think id be replacing them anytime soon... also how many spoke holes do saint hubs come with)

only con about the bike i can think of so far tho...dual control XT levers...ive played with em before and didnt like em...and im hoping it doesnt come with some...any one got em...anyone love em...anyone hate em...

cheers...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    thaks for the info so far guys...

im gunna go check the geo and see if i could get away with dual 24"s...i really like the idea and am quite game on trying it out...plus dual 24" Trail Pimps on that would look SICK...but im not sure if id put just a 24" on the rear...with an 8" fork up front i think the head angle would become retarded...and from the pic (ill check the stats) it looks pretty slack to begin with...but the cock pit does look sort cramped and the stanover height it rather tall...not sure on that one...

correct me if im wrong tho...dual 24"s will lower the stand over height and BB height and there fore help the bike to corner better and become more manouverable (by that i mean its direction can be changed quicker and more easily seems as in aint gunna topple over) because of the lower center of gravity or summin...which would be kool...ive allways wanted a bike that feels and looks similar to a tanked out YZ80...

anyways...if anyone who riden one could gimmie some insight id really appriciate it...

and i dont know why u thought i have a DEMO9...a mate of mine asked me to ask u guys about DEMOs so im gathering you thought i was aking for myself...but no i dont have one...hes getting a DEMO8 when he can fork out 4000aus for the dam frame...and yes i do have a ruckus...well hopfully not for long seems as im gunna have to sell it to make up the cash to get this baby...

anyways i appriciate te info especially u red...very helpfull...im gunna think alot more about this...especially the 24" wheels...

(also all i would have to do is get new spokes and new rims yes inorder to have 24" wheels yes...its comes with new saint hubs so i dont think id be replacing them anytime soon... also how many spoke holes do saint hubs come with)

only con about the bike i can think of so far tho...dual control XT levers...ive played with em before and didnt like em...and im hoping it doesnt come with some...any one got em...anyone love em...anyone hate em...

cheers...
    if you think it will be too slack, run a 24" up front and a 26" in the rear. I run this setup on my stinky with no problems. i think it's the best setup to have

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    o.k., are you serious or just joking? i've never heard of such madness. but then again, what would i know. the backwards chopper look sounds kinda crazy. now wouldn't that mess up the geometry of the bike for sho? ahhh whatever... i give up on this topic.
    it works great, especially on the steep uphills. i think i am going to set it up the same when i get a scream.

[SIZE=1]i'm just kidding[/SIZE]

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    o.k., are you serious or just joking? i've never heard of such madness. but then again, what would i know. the backwards chopper look sounds kinda crazy. now wouldn't that mess up the geometry of the bike for sho? ahhh whatever... i give up on this topic.
    dont give up man...

thats wierd and i wouldnt do it...although after alot of thought i can see it might work...darg cars have the same thing going etc...but it would also make its harder to desced etc...thanks man...but i think ill pass and no thanks...

(show us a pic if you ahve one)

I wanna talk to Samson!
    dont give up man...

thats wierd and i wouldnt do it...although after alot of thought i can see it might work...darg cars have the same thing going etc...but it would also make its harder to desced etc...thanks man...but i think ill pass and no thanks...

(show us a pic if you ahve one)
    hey bj, check out the sherpa's new thread

i think you'll mess your pants......
    [SIZE=4]JackNugz[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    Quote Originally Posted by konabiker
    hey bj, check out the sherpa's new thread

i think you'll mess your pants......
    man...warn me properly next time...dammit...i wasnt expecting it to be that good...

prefer this RMX tho...just summin about the green thats inticing me...

Uhhhhh...
    man...warn me properly next time...dammit...i wasnt expecting it to be that good...

prefer this RMX tho...just summin about the green thats inticing me...
    Ohh you know the V-10 looks sooooooooo much better. Hopefully i can get one or maybe a Sunday. Oh and i'd get an RMX if i liked drops and FR stuff but its not really a race bike.

-TS
    Fayetteville, AR and N.W.A RePrEsEnT

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSherpa
    drops and FR stuff
    wow man nice description (of myself) i guess that RMX will suit me well...

(nothing around where i live to race so an FR bike will do for the moment)

Chillin the Most
    You are correct, the 24's will lower the standover and BB, which will in turn lower the center of gravity giving it better handling, provided it's not so low that your constantly hitting your pedals or BB on stuff.

Former Noob Herder
    thats wierd and i wouldnt do it...although after alot of thought i can see it might work...darg cars have the same thing going etc...
    yes, because DH bikes have so much in common with drag racing

dragsters use a small as possible tire in front to reduce aerodynamic drag (F1 cars experimented with that back in the 60-70s...one even ran 4 front wheels to keep them small but maintain grip...absolutly bizarre). And the only traction concerns is keeping the car going in a straight line.

24s simply wont ride over larger obstacles as well in the front....imagine trying to DH over a rockgarden with a 20" BMX. Also i've heard someone mention they can make the bike fly weird in the air, perhaps something about having a stronger gyro-influence in the back...not so sure about that one tho.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

on a routine expedition
    If you haven't already seen it, there was a review of the RMX on nsmb.com a while ago:

http://www.nsmb.com/gear/rmxstrikes_06_04.php

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    yes, because DH bikes have so much in common with drag racing

dragsters use a small as possible tire in front to reduce aerodynamic drag (F1 cars experimented with that back in the 60-70s...one even ran 4 front wheels to keep them small but maintain grip...absolutly bizarre). And the only traction concerns is keeping the car going in a straight line.

24s simply wont ride over larger obstacles as well in the front....imagine trying to DH over a rockgarden with a 20" BMX. Also i've heard someone mention they can make the bike fly weird in the air, perhaps something about having a stronger gyro-influence in the back...not so sure about that one tho.
    i think its weird how...when im told to be less of a closed minded bastard when ppl come up with stupid ideas...and then i put it in to practice...im then pusnished again for it...

the world works in wierd ways zedro (or at least u do) its ok tho...the new BJ doesnt mind tho...

Former Noob Herder
    i think its weird how...when im told to be less of a closed minded bastard when ppl come up with stupid ideas...and then i put it in to practice...im then pusnished again for it...

the world works in wierd ways zedro (or at least u do) its ok tho...the new BJ doesnt mind tho...
    punished? how? geez i was nice, even had smilies, and gave my thoughts. So damn sensitive....

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    punished? how? geez i was nice, even had smilies, and gave my thoughts. So damn sensitive....
    ok...

better choice of words...not punished...not even had a go at...but still bickered...

dam ur a smart ass

(see two smilies)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

i have ridden one

a few months back I had the chance to ride an RMX with wade himself for a little over an hour. I really, really liked the ride and handling of the bike. Seemed to float over stuff easily and when things got sketchy it pulled them out no problem.

The bike jumped well and seemed quite easy to trail ride on as well (but then again, it was a bit of a pig and set up soft, but that didn't bother me... that is how I like my suspension set up). I did not get to chance to test the bike on any larger drops than about 4-5 feet but what I did get to jump feel bittery smooth.

If I had the $, then I would definatley look at one. I also rode a demo 9 and just didn't feel as excited about that bike. Given a choice between the 2 I would say go with the RMX. I still want to try out a newer v-10...

Former Noob Herder
    better choice of words...not punished...not even had a go at...but still bickered...
    wow, if you think thats bikering...

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullrider
    i have ridden one

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a few months back I had the chance to ride an RMX with wade himself for a little over an hour. I really, really liked the ride and handling of the bike. Seemed to float over stuff easily and when things got sketchy it pulled them out no problem.

The bike jumped well and seemed quite easy to trail ride on as well (but then again, it was a bit of a pig and set up soft, but that didn't bother me... that is how I like my suspension set up). I did not get to chance to test the bike on any larger drops than about 4-5 feet but what I did get to jump feel bittery smooth.

If I had the $, then I would definatley look at one. I also rode a demo 9 and just didn't feel as excited about that bike. Given a choice between the 2 I would say go with the RMX. I still want to try out a newer v-10...
    if anything it seems not many ppl have them or not many have ridden them...looking on the review section of MTBR...only 1 person had reviewed the bike...and funnnly enough the dude who reviewed it is the exact dude im trying to buy it off...

but thanks for the info on the bike dude...

what im looking for in a bike is something tough and really solid...that soaks up the hits...and insipres confidence...but at the same time is easy to thrash around and isnt to HUGE and slugish to maby race on next year...

when i spoke to the guy about it he told me how much better the RMX peformed when compared to the older RM7-9s etc...and how its a play bike that can still hold its own against the stiffer racing bikes (which is what im looking for in a bike) so im rather confident i want it and will sometime in the near future go ride it...and when i do ill make sure i come back and post summin for the record so in future when ppl want info on them they can get some...

can anyone remember the dude who had the RMX team with the avy rear shock that was red...maby he could give me some more info on it...

(also the BBs are supposed to be rather heigh...so i may yet get away with 24"s)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast