mtbr member

Older Boxxer Race '04/'05 impossible to find firm springs?

Is this shock really TOO old to get support form Rock Shox? I just had it overhauled by my shop only to find I can't get the firm spring rates (180-200lbs) for a perfectly great working shock. Am I out of luck? Is my shock considered "vintage" lol?

Please help! I love the shock but need the correct springs!

mtbr member
    Have you tried contacting them direct?

http://www.sram.com/en/service/

mtbr member
    My LBS did and said they only carry modern springs that are like 50mm longer. Can I cut them somehow? Arrg!

DenverDH'er
    I might have a red spring from and 04. You looking for a red one?

mtbr member
    I think I need a pair if you have and I would be more then willing to give you some compensation (cashola).
    Are they the older shorter style springs? Could you use the soft springs I have? Not sure of the length of my springs but I can ask the tech guy who tore my fork down yesterday. Red=firm right?

Thanks!

DenverDH'er
    I just bought this 04 boxxer from a buddy for my wife's park bike, with the blackbox internals installed in it. He also sent me a single red spring with it as well. We have not ridden the bike yet, but will be taking it up this coming weekend. Once she says the fork is A-OK, then I'll know if I can get rid of that spring. I'll get back to you ASAP.

mtbr member
    Hey thanks!
    Don't 2004's have two springs? I'll take one regardless and work something out with you.

mtbr member
    At this point I basically need something for my weight. What are the black box internals rated at?

mtbr member
    http://www.sram.com/_media/pdf/servi...ring_chart.pdf

According to this chart I think i can get by with a single red. I have two yellows at the moment...the springs are 15.5 inches long...kinda heavy too.

DenverDH'er
    For anyone out there interested in the black box stuff, here is some information from a buddy about it.

Black Box:
    I purchased the upgrade direct from Rockshock at the time because no one carried it. I would contact SRAM to get the purchase info on it. It’s still in their parts list so I’m guessing it’s still available.

Install:
    http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/...BoxUpgrade.pdf

NSMB info:
    http://www.nsmb.com/gear/boxxerblackbox_04_04.php

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thread bump: I recently purchased a bike with an old 03/04ish Boxxer that reportedly only has 500 miles on it. It came with 2 red (firmer) and 2 yellow (softer and I think stock). Unfortunately the yellow springs are still too firm for me as I was only able to get 4.5" of travel out of it and I rode it HARD. I have not yet pulled out both springs to make sure there isn't some kind of travel reduction mod going on but it looks like I need to source a softer spring(s) and/or I will sell the whole unit.

Thanks for any help/advice on spare parts for vintage boxxers

Glad to Be Alive
    did you rebuild fork and change oil....could be stiff from lack of use
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    With the springs out, see if it goes through the 8" of travel.
    Hubbard Bike Club

Silentfoe's best friend
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by laksboy View Post
    Thread bump: I recently purchased a bike with an old 03/04ish Boxxer that reportedly only has 500 miles on it. It came with 2 red (firmer) and 2 yellow (softer and I think stock). Unfortunately the yellow springs are still too firm for me as I was only able to get 4.5" of travel out of it and I rode it HARD. I have not yet pulled out both springs to make sure there isn't some kind of travel reduction mod going on but it looks like I need to source a softer spring(s) and/or I will sell the whole unit.

Thanks for any help/advice on spare parts for vintage boxxers
    Time to gain some weight.

McRib is back at some locations.

Members who have read this thread: 13