Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Old School DH bikes

Who prefers rocking old school DH bikes?

The tech today is phenominal, but, the bike is only half the equation. I still rock my 2001 Super 8 and love the looks and compliments I get. It is a boost in ego too when you consistently pass the guys on newer bikes.

I have often thought about going the old school route and restoring older DH bikes with new components instead of buying a new rig. I know its not practical, but the cool factor (for me) is off the charts. Plus, that is the era I grew up in and nothing gets me going like an old Lobo DH or Lawwill Straight 8.

My outdated rig still rockin

Last edited by twistedlizard720; 10-16-2011 at 06:21 PM.

≈ > ♥
    Cool to see a Super8 still rocking. (I thought they all broke)

I love the old Tomac 204 Magnums.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Mine did break. That's why the swingarm is black. I could take black or wait 8 months for them to get a batch of powdercoat blue. I didn't wait 8 months. Trouble free since then.

mtbr member
    i rode an older style v10 up until this year when i got a wilson (not a brand new one)
    but i didnt liek anythign bout the v10 it was clunky heavy and no matter how i played with the suspension tuning i never felt like the rebound was fast enough
    i felt liek i was beign held back on that biek since ive got my wilson my riding has improved alot more rapidly then i expected
    keep the rubber side down!!

Moose Member
    im rocking an old 2002 M1, ill post pics later. still works great, but im ready for something newer...

Glad to Be Alive
    IMO I think the bikes of old ride just as good...My 2002 Big Hit and 2004 Azonic Recoil.....were just as smooth as the 2012 bikes.....shocks/forks have gotten better though

if you rode a different suspension design then the single pivot ...I think you would be amazed
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Every chance I get I take my 11 year old DH bike for a spin. You guys can check my profile for the pics. Even though it's old, it can still rock it!
    BTW, op nice bike. I'm a sucker for old bikes, especially the DH ones!
    Last edited by chef kungfu; 10-17-2011 at 02:26 PM.

DIY all the way
    1998 M1 here, and no plans to replace it.

Got modern fork/shock though.

Magura

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Have a 05 Intense M1 in excellent condition and a 01 BMW TMX with Avalanche front and rear both timeless and still worthy DH bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    More old schoo love. Me and a friend about to ride Indian Creek in Cuchara, CO. His ride, 1999 M1. Still going strong, but parts are HARD to find when you need to replace something. Photo is from 2008.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I personally think newer is better (as long as it's a solid proven design). I get the antique classic look and if that's why you do it then great. However, if you're putting new components on it, especially fork/shock combo then wouldn't you be able to upgrade to a newer used bike that is lighter with a better geometry for the same cost? As long as you're happy and having fun though power to ya because in the end that's why most of us do this.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by genemk View Post
    I personally think newer is better (as long as it's a solid proven design). I get the antique classic look and if that's why you do it then great. However, if you're putting new components on it, especially fork/shock combo then wouldn't you be able to upgrade to a newer used bike that is lighter with a better geometry for the same cost? As long as you're happy and having fun though power to ya because in the end that's why most of us do this.
    I totally agree with you. One of the weakest points of my S8 is its braking. You learn to cope with the brake jack and quirks, but they always catch you off guard when your focus is 20 feet down the trail. Today's DH bikes have nearly eliminated brake jack, allowing you to ride into technical features faster and brake later. You don't have to think as much about how the bike is going to react and you can just go. Plus, considering prices for DH bikes now to back then, you get a lot more bang for your buck today. With what I spent building mine in 2001, I could have a new GT carbon DH or Yeti 303 with change to spare.

bike rider
    I have a large Super 8 frame sitting here in immaculate shape (redesigned swingarm) in need of a rider to bring it back to life. You'd have to be able to source the unique width rear hub it requires (I'll include the quirky brake adapter it requires). This is the pimpin-est of all Super 8s as I had a custom shock shuttle made to accommodate a longer stroke Romic shock and Ti spring (800lb I think) achieving 9" of travel. The frame is perfect and the shock only had 1 season of use. Free to the first person who can pick it up or pay the shipping (approx $60?).
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I used to love the look of the old Mountain Cycle San Andreas

does anyone even ride it anymore? or just restore it for display? I think collectors who have their hands on these wouldn't dare bring them to a trail haha

i'd love to see a pic of that Azonic recoil - another old school mtb brand i still have a soft spot for

Rookie
    That Super8 looks better in person...
    How was the ride back down Blue Ridge trail?(about a month ago)
    I had the ugly red bike. hahaha
    Ruder than you.
    Ska is not dead!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    i dont think there is such a thing like an old bike X)!!! truly my opinion

mtbr member

Does mine count?

'04 204 Mag
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Old School DH bikes-tomac-tdh.jpg  

Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

My 05 Turner DHR. Fresh PC and rebuild from Turner at the begining of the season.

old school no.9
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    I have a large Super 8 frame sitting here in immaculate shape (redesigned swingarm) in need of a rider to bring it back to life. You'd have to be able to source the unique width rear hub it requires (I'll include the quirky brake adapter it requires). This is the pimpin-est of all Super 8s as I had a custom shock shuttle made to accommodate a longer stroke Romic shock and Ti spring (800lb I think) achieving 9" of travel. The frame is perfect and the shock only had 1 season of use. Free to the first person who can pick it up or pay the shipping (approx $60?).
    http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/t...t/PA170044.jpg
    CRC has Super8 hubs: Hadley Santa Cruz rear hub eventhought on the page it is said to be for V10, BUT the specs are for sure for Super8.

v10 mk1 rear hub: 15x140mm
    Super8 mk2 rear hub: 14x160mm
    I love the smell of the TF2 chain lube in the morning.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by miqu View Post
    CRC has Super8 hubs: Hadley Santa Cruz rear hub eventhought on the page it is said to be for V10, BUT the specs are for sure for Super8.

v10 mk1 rear hub: 15x140mm
    Super8 mk2 rear hub: 14x160mm
    Dammit! I was hoping to find an old Hadley for my Tomac
    If anyone's sitting on an old Razor Rock Racing 20mm TA rear hub w/ axle for the 204 Mag, ping me! That Edco Big Rock is dodgy at best!
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    lelandjt I just sent you a message. Interested in the frame

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    that super 8 is PIMP!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    these pics are great, keep posting more everyone!

DownhillBAWS
    Quote Originally Posted by Coopie View Post

My 05 Turner DHR. Fresh PC and rebuild from Turner at the begining of the season.

loving your turner! looks great!

Moose Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    '04 204 Mag
    that bike is prime! I remember it from the old PS2 game Downhill Domination...

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast