Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    This is a great thread. In my opinion the best looking old school bike is the Cannondale Fulcrum that Missy Giove raced back in the mid to late 90's (red frame with yellow decals). I used to ride a 2002 Intense M1 with a 2002 Marzocchi Shiver. I absoluvely loved it and had a blast on it. While newer frames are more efficient and adjustable and newer suspension is as good as it has ever been, I have heard it said that a properly built M1 is still a formidable bike to be reckoned with on the race track today.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Beautiful bikes on here.
    Last edited by vetprowanab; 10-24-2011 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Admittingly dumb comment.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by twistedlizard720 View Post
    I totally agree with you. One of the weakest points of my S8 is its braking. You learn to cope with the brake jack and quirks, but they always catch you off guard when your focus is 20 feet down the trail. Today's DH bikes have nearly eliminated brake jack, allowing you to ride into technical features faster and brake later. You don't have to think as much about how the bike is going to react and you can just go. Plus, considering prices for DH bikes now to back then, you get a lot more bang for your buck today. With what I spent building mine in 2001, I could have a new GT carbon DH or Yeti 303 with change to spare.
    Two things...you can probably still get a floating brake for the rear end from therapy components if the braking upsets you that much...
    Two, most modern DH bikes don't care much about braking at all. VPP and DWL don't consider braking nearly as important as shock rate nor pedaling aspects. Even the Zerode with it's ultra high pivot has no floater as the designers decided brake squat in corners was better than the weight that the floater added...to that point, your Super8 probably squats rather than "jacks" as brake jacking doesn't usually happen on high single pivots.

Quote Originally Posted by genemk View Post
    I personally think newer is better (as long as it's a solid proven design). I get the antique classic look and if that's why you do it then great. However, if you're putting new components on it, especially fork/shock combo then wouldn't you be able to upgrade to a newer used bike that is lighter with a better geometry for the same cost? As long as you're happy and having fun though power to ya because in the end that's why most of us do this.
    I totally disagree. Many of the newer designs have similar problems to older designs, and the most significant change to geometry has been lower BBs and slacker HAs...some of which you can achieve with angled headset reducers.
    I never got along with my Iron horse sunday, even though it had a 63.5* HA and Boxxer R2C2 and fresh bearings etc. etc....I had a day on an older super 8 with a Champ and gazzis on it and it was a revelation in what fun DH riding can be. May not be as totally competitive as a brand new DHR, but if you can't enjoy riding, why bother?

Quote Originally Posted by techfersure View Post
    Forgot I have a one off Black Sheep chromoly DH frame based on Lawwill design.
    I have a few photos of that somewhere...wanted one so bad. No floater, though.

Leland, PM inbound....I want that super8!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    That's an Intense that was painted/decaled for Haro. Might as well call it an Intense now that it's stripped.
    Looks a lot like my old Uzzi DH. I don't know what year it is. I bought it used.

Here is a pic of how it was built when I got it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    No it never stops hurting, but if you keep at it you can go faster.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I'm pretty sure the DHR was welded by intense and rebadged, since most people were on M1s/intenses anyways and haro brought nothing to the game...

The Uzzi DH and DHR differed in the front monocoque...

Moose Member
    02 M1:

Old School DH bikes-p1010814.jpg

Dunno why but i like this shot...

Old School DH bikes-p1010824.jpg

Built in the USA.

Old School DH bikes-p1010841.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    had a 24" rear wheel at first
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Old School DH bikes-summer-10-019.jpg  

Old School DH bikes-old-school.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Coopie View Post
    I agree. This beast rips. Wish I had the skills to really use it, but I do my best. Its pretty much a brand new frame after the fresh PC and factory rebuild no play at all in the dog bone link ( thanks to Greg at Turnerbikes). I will be riding this turner for a few more years.

drill that DHR to slacken the HT and lower the BB you will be amazed with the handling after.
    cheers,
    jon

i'll try and post a pic of mine that's been drilled.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by motormonkeyr6 View Post
    01 Turner DHR
    Still alive and kicking!

if i'm not mistaken that frame was called the Javelin,DHR was the model after.cool bike non the less.

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Quote Originally Posted by rideonjon View Post
    if i'm not mistaken that frame was called the Javelin,DHR was the model after.cool bike non the less.
    Their website calls it the DH Racer/C-Note.

They made a model around that time called the Stinger, though it was an XC bike. I guess you could be getting Javelin and Stinger mixed up since they are both military missiles?
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    who remembers this bike?

A few more from back in the day

Kona Stab Dee-Lux

Balfa BB7

Honda prototype

Marin Team DH

Ellsworth Dare

Aeon Joker by Ellsworth

Santa Cruz Bullit

mtbr member
    who remembers this bike?
    Some of those saddles are like couches. Who needs a tandem when you've got a love seat...
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    The one thing I remember most about DH bikes back a few years ago was the huge seats they had. I remember they were a lot more square at the front, and not as aerodynamic looking as today.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

A little Hike a Bike last week. Still rocks in the rocks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnozpikr View Post
    This is a great thread. In my opinion the best looking old school bike is the Cannondale Fulcrum that Missy Giove raced back in the mid to late 90's (red frame with yellow decals). I used to ride a 2002 Intense M1 with a 2002 Marzocchi Shiver. I absoluvely loved it and had a blast on it. While newer frames are more efficient and adjustable and newer suspension is as good as it has ever been, I have heard it said that a properly built M1 is still a formidable bike to be reckoned with on the race track today.
    I have a 2002 Cove gspot with a shiver. Fun fun fun bike!

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Some old school love

Mountain Cycle San Andreas

I missed a ton, but feel free to continue the love!
    thats my san andreas i still use it and it still turns heads , i've just bought a 2nd one for xc so it's half the size of the orange one

it rides really well and i'll keep riding it as long as it holds out

mtbr member
    Old School DH bikes-diegos-graduation-440.jpg
    1999 Disco Volante just sold it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    that orange San Andreas is just crazy. the proportions are nuts! what size are the stantions and that front tire?! beastly!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by name_dropper View Post
    that orange San Andreas is just crazy. the proportions are nuts! what size are the stantions and that front tire?! beastly!
    i think the stantions are 38mm ? and the tyre is a 3" nokian i've never seen a bike the same size as it yet lol

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    What do you guys think about the 2000 Kona Stinky? My friends back in CA just got into DH riding and one just came up on the local craigslist for $450. Is it a good price? There really aren't any trails in my area for DH but was wondering if I could use the bike out here for AM type riding. I know technology and geometry has changed a lot in the past 10 years so this bike might not even be considered a DH bike by todays standards. Let me know what you guys think.

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by mcastanares View Post
    What do you guys think about the 2000 Kona Stinky? My friends back in CA just got into DH riding and one just came up on the local craigslist for $450. Is it a good price? There really aren't any trails in my area for DH but was wondering if I could use the bike out here for AM type riding. I know technology and geometry has changed a lot in the past 10 years so this bike might not even be considered a DH bike by todays standards. Let me know what you guys think.
    I use my '98 M1 for AM/light DH, and it's quite good for that. The geometry suits that pretty well. The biggest difference between old and new is in shock technology, so throw a modern shock and fork on it, and you'll have a pretty nice AM rig, capable of a bit more than your average modern AM type of bike.

Magura

EastBaySteez
    Quote Originally Posted by rideonjon View Post
    You are mistaken

This was a 1 of 3 or 4 prototypes Turner made for Eric Carter back in the day. Its got a bunch of farkles that the DHR didnt get till almost 04. Or thats what I remember from talking to Dave a few years ago.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by big.eck View Post
    i think the stantions are 38mm ? and the tyre is a 3" nokian i've never seen a bike the same size as it yet lol
    How 'bout these proportions? It is totally cheating because Krispy is a pretty short dude.

Does anybody have one of those 14 inch travel GSR's?

DIY all the way
    As I have gotten a couple of questions regarding that old M1, here is a pic of it, and a scan from a mag that featured it "a while back".
    The other pics is of the carbon brake.

Now it has a modified Domain 318 fork, carbon front disc brake, a Swinger 6 way shock, and Atomlab G.I. pedals.

It sees frequent use, and I think I'll try to keep it alive as long as possible.

For AM/light DH use, it's a nice ride.

Magura

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast