Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    pedal fatass!
    I know a guy that rides the wheels off a yellow one, I see him on the trail all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by greddyvox View Post
    I used to love the look of the old Mountain Cycle San Andreas

does anyone even ride it anymore? or just restore it for display? I think collectors who have their hands on these wouldn't dare bring them to a trail haha

DenverDH'er
    My 2003 M1. The thing still rocks after all these years. It used to black, changed it up about 3 years ago. It is getting hard to get parts for it now days though. I'm getting the 5th "Avalanched" this winter. Hopefully get 2 more years out of it. It's super fast, but I am jonesing for new technology.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Old School DH bikes-m1_3-4sidegarage.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MonsterD View Post
    That Super8 looks better in person...
    How was the ride back down Blue Ridge trail?(about a month ago)
    I had the ugly red bike. hahaha
    Ride was good. I wish we had more trails around to build jumps on and play though.

banned
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Old School DH bikes-dh-008.jpg  

mtbr member
    Old School DH bikes-josie-dhr-054.jpg
    Haro DHR
    2002 I think?
    The frame is still solid and hanging in my garage if anybody wants to make me an offer.

bike rider
    That's an Intense that was painted/decaled for Haro. Might as well call it an Intense now that it's stripped.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    True but I think the DHR's were the only M1's w/ the adjustable seat mast off an old Uzzi. It's not an exact copy of a production M1.
    Last edited by murd; 10-20-2011 at 01:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Some old school love

GT Lobo LTS

Giant ATX World Cup (one of my favorites!)

Rocky Mountain RM6/7/9

Mountain Cycle San Andreas

Cannondale Super V DH (tried posting one of the Dogbone link Super V's but can't find a good photo)

Tomac 204 Magnum

KHS Dominatrax

Intense Uzzi DH

Cannondale Gemeni DH Prototype (note Dual shock setup, travel was 7" vertical and 2" horizontal)

Rocky Mountain Pipeline

Schwinn Straight 8

Yeti Lawwill (Yeti went to the same as the above Schwinn at the same time)

Santa Cruz Super 8

Foes Weasel

I missed a ton, but feel free to continue the love!
    Last edited by twistedlizard720; 10-22-2011 at 07:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by twistedlizard720 View Post
    Some old school love

Cannondale Super V DH (tried posting one of the Dogbone link Super V's but can't find a good photo)

I missed a ton, but feel free to continue the love!
    Here's a picture of my "linked dogbone" version of that DH bike. I think this one was an updated version (2nd edition) of the Fulcrum DH. The one with the crazy drive train & dual BB. It weighs 40#'s. The bike is from '99, the technology is old, but I still take it out every chance I get. I just love ALL old DH bikes. The ones posted here are just beautiful!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Old School DH bikes-dh-fulcrum-1.jpg  

Old School DH bikes-dh-fulcrum-2-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coopie View Post

My 05 Turner DHR. Fresh PC and rebuild from Turner at the begining of the season.
    DHR was absolute dream when it came to the steep stuff...stiff, low center of grav and travel just gobbles up the terrain and turned on instinct....fond memories!!! underated even in its time
    "Be Good or Be Good at it"

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I agree. This beast rips. Wish I had the skills to really use it, but I do my best. Its pretty much a brand new frame after the fresh PC and factory rebuild no play at all in the dog bone link ( thanks to Greg at Turnerbikes). I will be riding this turner for a few more years.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    you want old school DH bikes?

check out my team bike from 1994 - Bombproof D-2

with AMP Research Mac-Strut rear suspension giving 3.5" and Rockshox Judy DH fork

fork was custom fitted with Sachs hydraulic disc brake (before the Judy actually had disc mounts)

our team bikes ran Kore and Azonic finishing kit, TWP fork brake and TWP AMP brace, Bullet Bros chain tensioner, SACHS New Success transmission, Wellgo platform pedals, Selle San Marco saddle with carbon fibre rails and FIR / Sachs wheelset with prototype IRC tires

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by hampstead bandit View Post
    Rockshox Judy DH fork

fork was custom fitted with Sachs hydraulic disc brake (before the Judy actually had disc mounts)

at first glance I thought that was the old AMP/Rock Shox hydro-mechanical disc brake! Remember the dual crown Judy DH forks? The dual crown Judy was all the rage and I had to have one (never did get one unfortunately).

Quote Originally Posted by chef kungfu View Post
    Here's a picture of my "linked dogbone" version of that DH bike. I think this one was an updated version (2nd edition) of the Fulcrum DH. The one with the crazy drive train & dual BB. It weighs 40#'s. The bike is from '99, the technology is old, but I still take it out every chance I get. I just love ALL old DH bikes. The ones posted here are just beautiful!
    I really think this model Cannondale was the turn in suspension performance. I never rode one and KHS ripped off the design but after that the VPP bikes were already in the plans. Then you had Karpiel and Canfield already playing with dual link systems like the Fulcrum.

Some more classic rigs

Karpiel Disco Volante (hasn't changed much over 10 years, this one is an '04)

K2 Animal!!

GT DHi

Out of curiosity, does anyone know the Mongoose DH bike from the late '90's? It had a large "monocoque-ish" downtube and a basic 4 bar rear end. I had almost bought one in 1999 with a boxxer on it. I will never forget that bike because it was the first real DH bike I had ever set my eyes on, and rode.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Sure, I'll play. Bender's ride with the Super Monster; 12" (305mm) of travel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Old School DH bikes-karpiel_apocolypse_superm.jpg  

Moose Member
    Karpiel Disco Volante (hasn't changed much over 10 years, this one is an '04)
    Fix yer flat!

just rode with a friend who has an 02 disco. I got to ride it around a bit. Super plush. Still a great rig for sure!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Neat look at history but these things look clunky and scary as F*CK! except the Turner
    Want a one of a kind bike? Message me for a one of a kind paint job.

The internet is a tough place to ride

bike rider
    Does anyone know the Mongoose DH bike from the late '90's? It had a large "monocoque-ish" downtube and a basic 4 bar rear end.
    I think that was another Intense Uzzi DH/M1 variant painted for another company. There were a few years there that several other companies were racing and selling Intenses.
    Keep the Country country.

EastBaySteez
    01 Turner DHR
    Still alive and kicking!

Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Loving these Turners! Reminds me of my bike on steroids. Might have to consider them for a slight upgrade at some point.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Forgot I have a one off Black Sheep chromoly DH frame based on Lawwill design.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    I think that was another Intense Uzzi DH/M1 variant painted for another company. There were a few years there that several other companies were racing and selling Intenses.
    I know which bike you are talking about. It was the Intense M1, and I believe it was Eric Carter that was riding it at the time.

The Mongoose I am talking about was before that. I believe it was based on the Mongoose VRS. It was similar to this but a little beefier. It may have actually been a VRS. I just remember looking at it and riding it and it was nothing like I had ever seen or felt before!

A couple others I came across

Specialized FSR Team DH

Norco VPS

Diamondback XTS Moto

Rotec

BMW (not the car)

Risse Racing's bolt together DH bike
    Last edited by twistedlizard720; 10-23-2011 at 11:59 AM.

mmm dirt
    Oct 2011
    Wow some of these bike bring back some memories of all the bikes that i wanted to build when i was 15 lol.

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    Exactly.

Both Mongoose and Kawasaki had such.

I have a Kawasaki edition that still sees frequent use.

Magura

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by xcmrx View Post
    Wow some of these bike bring back some memories of all the bikes that i wanted to build when i was 15 lol.
    The Super 8 I ride now was my dream bike when I was 16. I wanted the Scuba Yellow but the opportunity arose to purchase this bike. I remember making a dream wishlist in one of my computer classes and it was built to the list. White Bros. DH3, Purple Hayes, Kooka stem and all. Some drivetrain components have changed through the years, but mostly remains unchanged. I don't ever think I will let it go because it is my dream rig.

mmm dirt
    Oct 2011
    That's pretty awesome man. I've been wanting to build one of these old bikes with some of the newer tech available now and make my own old school resto mod beast.

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast