Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
    MTB SOCAL
    Old School DH bikes-manitou-dh.jpgOld school Manitou DH bike
    Kokopelli Racing

"Curb drops to flat, or curb drops to transition? There's a BIG difference there." Qfactor03

mtbr member
    rippin on my 07 kingfisher 2

DFA
    mtbr member
    My (2nd) THS-1

Some Canadian steel. Odd bike. Never felt right on it. Beautiful welding/brazing.

Quote Originally Posted by twistedlizard720 View Post
    tp://images.ridemonkey.com
    A friend rode one of those for the 98 season. Said it rode nice and soaked up big hits like nothing else. Some scumbag stole it at the Worlds in Mte. Ste. Anne.

mtbr member
    After breaking my 3rd GIANT full suspension frame this fall, I decided to shop for something truly BURLY to stand up to the riding I like to do. My budget won't allow for today's best technology so I went shopping on PinkBike's classifieds and got a killer deal on this 2006 Santa Cruz VP Free that just needed some TLC and a refreshing. The geometry on this bike already has me feeling more stable on the bike and I'm dying for this long winter to end so I can take it for a spin. This is a big step up from the 4" trail bikes I've had thus-far.

I've added new Hayes Prime Pro brakes, a new KS E-10 dropper post, the 750mm TITEC bar off my old bike and a FOX DHX 5.0 Coil shock to replace the blown Progressive suspension shock that was stock. Still to come is a new drivetrain...rings, cogs, and chain.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Old School DH bikes-seahags-2006-vp-free.jpg  

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by DFA View Post
    My (2nd) THS-1

Some Canadian steel. Odd bike. Never felt right on it. Beautiful welding/brazing.

A friend rode one of those for the 98 season. Said it rode nice and soaked up big hits like nothing else. Some scumbag stole it at the Worlds in Mte. Ste. Anne.
    That Foes/ironhorse looks like it'll still take a beating, today. A testament to solid, simple design.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Specialized sucks dong

mtbr member
    here is my 04 Santa Cruz V10 rebuild in process

Old School DH bikes-p4pb10738380.jpg

Old School DH bikes-p4pb10738382.jpg

Old School DH bikes-p4pb10738381.jpg
    08 Ironhorse Yakuza
    04 Santa Cruz V10
    15 Gravity Bullseye Monster
    04 Giant Simple

My craigslist for sale

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by akacoke View Post
    here is my 04 Santa Cruz V10 rebuild in process

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p4pb10738380.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	139.5 KB 
ID:	879760

Name:	p4pb10738382.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	130.8 KB 
ID:	879761

Name:	p4pb10738381.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	122.9 KB 
ID:	879762
    looks flexy

Specialized sucks dong

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Why a monster t? Seem ill mated to the V10.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    You also need to chop those bars in half to be era accurate. Looks good though.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by ftbjoe View Post
    You also need to chop those bars in half to be era accurate. Looks good though.
    It's looking like a lightweight build!

Specialized sucks dong

mtbr member
    lol, its going be light and nimble as hell.

thanks for the comments guys. ill keep the updates coming as i go, gotta sort out a few things
    08 Ironhorse Yakuza
    04 Santa Cruz V10
    04 Giant Simple

My craigslist for sale

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by akacoke View Post
    lol, its going be light and nimble as hell.

thanks for the comments guys. ill keep the updates coming as i go, gotta sort out a few things
    Love what you're doing to the classic V10. Don't cut those bars! BTW, what bars are those anyway? Thinking of just polishing mine or buying outright... can't decide.

Oh, and when you update pics, can you do it at the end of the thread? Thanks.

mtbr member
    yes, it will definitely be a new post.

the bars are kore torsion 810mm, 15mm rise i think. for some reason i dont like riser bars on my suspension bikes this one the rise is very low. close to flat . i bought it brand new from a PB member's ebay store. and the decals were coming off during shipping. i could easily chip it with my figure nails. so i decided to wet sand and polish it. took me like an hour, but i didnt wanna go thru trouble returning it, honestly if i knew i wouldve paid more to get a chromag or spank polished bar. its worth it, but its just a lot of work involved
    08 Ironhorse Yakuza
    04 Santa Cruz V10
    04 Giant Simple

My craigslist for sale

WTF.......
    Old School DH bikes-burlington-20120507-00050.jpg

Here's mine 2004 Canfield F1 - Plush since i put the 40 on it. Had the original White Bros 2.0 DH which was death.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I have a cannondale super v freeride that I love, but it's pretty heavy and the rear shocks don't lock out. I was thinking of getting a cannondale super v raven 2000 that's available used cause it's a carbon fiber frame and has lock out suspension, but the travel is a little less. Anyone care to weigh in?

Nickel Havr
    I've got an '05 Giant Faith 2 that is still kicking.... I keep it around as a spare rig or a loaner for my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by benmillstein View Post
    I have a cannondale super v freeride that I love, but it's pretty heavy and the rear shocks don't lock out. I was thinking of getting a cannondale super v raven 2000 that's available used cause it's a carbon fiber frame and has lock out suspension, but the travel is a little less. Anyone care to weigh in?
    Pics,pics,pics!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    my lil scott high octane. bought it for little money, restored it as much as i could
    lovin' it so far

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Lovin' the old bike

I ride a 2001 Santa Cruz Bullit. The frame's still rock solid, and the guy I bought it from had it custom built with some sweet extras: D321 rims, a 3" Gazzaloddi front tire, and Hayes purple brakes. Not a bad bike for $450 and $200 worth of parts. I'd love to ride a new DH, but until then the Bullit will handle pretty much anything I can give it. Sorry the pic uploader is screwing up on me so I can't get any pictures on here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Prairiedownhill View Post
    I ride a 2001 Santa Cruz Bullit. The frame's still rock solid, and the guy I bought it from had it custom built with some sweet extras: D321 rims, a 3" Gazzaloddi front tire, and Hayes purple brakes. Not a bad bike for $450 and $200 worth of parts. I'd love to ride a new DH, but until then the Bullit will handle pretty much anything I can give it. Sorry the pic uploader is screwing up on me so I can't get any pictures on here.
    I've got those same rims and brakes on my '01 S8! The brakes are a little tired, but wheels are strong as ever.

mtbr member
    D321's on my straight! Have held up 10x better then the old sun tingle double wife's and Mammoth rims I once had!
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    Cool pics! Brings back memories from when I first got into downhill when I was a kid I loved my chumba wumba bikes,

Racing my chumba wumba Zulu in 2002

Name:  southride chuma pic.jpeg
Views: 311
Size:  23.4 KB

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Hi Everyone, just trying the revive the thread. I'm buying a 2006 Sta Cruz VP free tomorrow.. see below:

Old School DH bikes-vp-free-2006.jpg

Seahag i was wondering how much you purchased the vp free. To be honest, i really wanted to buy a newer bike but i just bought a new hardrock and upgraded the parts for xc.. now i'm really digging the single tracks and DH and can't use my hardtail for it. So i'm buying this.

seller says its got new wheels and boxxer dual crowns. Looks like they are boxxer world cup ones. The guy is looking for $775. decent deal? comments would be welcome

I'm also looking at a specialized demo 2006.. $750 pretty bone stock but it's located far away it would be a 4 hour trip so i might go with the vp free.

btw this is a medium 19" frame and i'm 5'6 but the top tube length of 23.2 inches work for me based on measurements.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by arvboy View Post
    Hi Everyone, just trying the revive the thread. I'm buying a 2006 Sta Cruz VP free tomorrow.. see below:

Name:	vp free 2006.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	921310

Seahag i was wondering how much you purchased the vp free. To be honest, i really wanted to buy a newer bike but i just bought a new hardrock and upgraded the parts for xc.. now i'm really digging the single tracks and DH and can't use my hardtail for it. So i'm buying this.

seller says its got new wheels and boxxer dual crowns. Looks like they are boxxer world cup ones. The guy is looking for $775. decent deal? comments would be welcome

I'm also looking at a specialized demo 2006.. $750 pretty bone stock but it's located far away it would be a 4 hour trip so i might go with the vp free.

btw this is a medium 19" frame and i'm 5'6 but the top tube length of 23.2 inches work for me based on measurements.
    I'd go for the SC over the Demo, but it only has one fork on it...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by arvboy View Post

Name:	vp free 2006.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	921310

I picked up my VP Free on Pinkbike's classifieds for $500 CAD...about $470 in USD. Course I had to pay about $75 to ship it from B.C. Mine had blown the stock shock, so I picked up a FOX DHX 5.0 coil from another Pinkbike user for $140. I added a dropper post and updated the brakes to a new set of Hayes Prime Pros...so all total I have around $900 invested. I love the bike. It allows me to ride much more agressively than my previous trail bikes did and the long suspension has saved my ass when I got in too deep a handful of times already. If you are getting it fully functioning for $775 I'd say GRAB IT!!

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast