Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Oh the shame... DH Saddle bag?

Dont laugh... I need to carry a spare tube, pump and a multi tool, obviously this all packs down quite small, but i dont want to use a backpack.
    Any suggestions? I see chain reaction have loads of small saddle bags for road bikes, my only worries are:
    1) Getting laughed off the mountain
    2) Having to modify by I-Beam saddle.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Tubeless?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Now with More Wood
    No no no, what you need is a friend who won't ride without a pack, and who can carry all that for you. You know, one of those dudes who ends up with at least 6 keyrings, 8 mobile phones, possibly a bunch of wallets (mostly empty), 3 water bottles, AND who has to stop each time anybody had puncture..."hey, do you have a pump?"...."hey, do you have a spare tube"...."hey, do you have a number 5 allen"..."hey, do you have a Big Mac and fries, damned I'm hungry?"

If you play your cards right, not only do you not have to CARRY any of that crap, but you can avoid BUYING it altogether. You might feel better if it was true, but the old "I've got a spare in the car" always works even when it's not. Just be careful - remember dude's still got your car keys.

Commit or eat sh!t
    They have very slim fanny packs that you can get to put all that stuff in if you don't want to carry a Camelbak. I have seen a guy wear one at Northstar. Looked all right. I am going to get one for next year.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman2058
    No no no, what you need is a friend who won't ride without a pack, and who can carry all that for you. You know, one of those dudes who ends up with at least 6 keyrings, 8 mobile phones, possibly a bunch of wallets (mostly empty), 3 water bottles, AND who has to stop each time anybody had puncture..."hey, do you have a pump?"...."hey, do you have a spare tube"...."hey, do you have a number 5 allen"..."hey, do you have a Big Mac and fries, damned I'm hungry?"

If you play your cards right, not only do you not have to CARRY any of that crap, but you can avoid BUYING it altogether. You might feel better if it was true, but the old "I've got a spare in the car" always works even when it's not. Just be careful - remember dude's still got your car keys.

So true. Don't remember the last time I've carried a spare anything or even tools.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Look into what runners use and the new term should be "Waist Pack"

mtbr member
    What you do is find a nice snug place on your frame and electrical tape in a tube and whatever else you want to carry. Thats what I do for everything except racing. Getting stuck without the bare necessities blows. Saddle bags don't work on DH bikes because the bag will hit your rear tire when you bottom your suspension, and camelbaks are just annoying to have on.

Big Test Icycles
    Just duct tape it all to your ribs and lower back, drug smuggler style. This way you have it at the ready and it's not in the way.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    duck tape/ zip strap that stuff on your bike...like you said, its not that big and saddle bags are just plain GAY and dont work on DH sled.

OR

Go tubeless if you can like I did years ago... problem solve

Locs on Spokez
    Dude, here's your game plan:

Run the saddle bag for sure. Definitely run it for races so that when you crush everyone you'll look like a true champ.
    Ground Steeze. @iggy_strbac

mtbr member
    +1 tubeless. If you MUST carry some stuff or you'll get anxiety attacks, just stuff it in between your saddle's rails and tape it in place. Ghetto fab, and doesn't look too Walmart if you do it right.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Found a "Fuel Belt" brand pack "Fuel Box", which can go on the front of your seat post/tube and strap to the top tube too. So it sits basically under the nose of your saddle. This works with dropped seats on DH iron and dropping posts on everthing else. Currently runing it on the wife's ONE with KS i900 post.

http://www.fuelbelt.com/outdoor/cycling.html here's the blurb:

For those long rides when you don’t want to stop and restock. Same great features as the Medium FuelBox, but with an extra inch of height so you can squeeze in a few more bars.

4 x 5 x 1 inches. Colors: Pink, Classic Red and Black

$14.95 In Stock
    2011 Canfield ONE 200mm DH 35 pounds
    2010 Specialized Pitch 100% non stock 29 lbs
    Wife: 2009 Canfield ONE also 29 lbs

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by Cable0guy
    They have very slim fanny packs that you can get to put all that stuff in if you don't want to carry a Camelbak. I have seen a guy wear one at Northstar. Looked all right. I am going to get one for next year.
    Bingo. A lot of moto guys go that route.

usually cranky
    a basket hung on your bars would be epic.

Commit or eat sh!t
    Try REI:

http://www.rei.com/search?query=fann...x=0&button.y=0

Something like this could work:

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I read the whole thread and don't think anyone has mentioned this surprisingly. How about just wearing a cycling shirt? Never been around the downhill crowd, though, so this might be as big a faux pas as the saddlebag. Apparently style points are big in here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleeveless
    I read the whole thread and don't think anyone has mentioned this surprisingly. How about just wearing a cycling shirt? Never been around the downhill crowd, though, so this might be as big a faux pas as the saddlebag. Apparently style points are big in here.

FAILED . . . and SOOO gay

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tuumbaq
    FAILED . . . and SOOO gay
    I figured as much.

Big Test Icycles
    Try this on for size, strap to the side of your full face. Make it look like a GoPro camera. More people will want to ride with you in the hopes of getting on YouTube.

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    Dude, do whatever helps you have the most fun and answer smirks with a smile of your own and your middle finger.

(The fact that a saddle mounted bag will get caught in the rear wheel during full suspension travel is a valid point. Go with a full rack system and pannier bags.)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    a basket hung on your bars would be epic.
    Ha ha

nocturnal oblivion
    Or just a 45 caliber holster to hold the tube, gel, pump.

Simply badass.
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman2058

F... You..... iceman...I am not riding with you anymore....You USER !!!!!

lol

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Cable0guy
    you are gayness....you want to share a hotel room next year???

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast