Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I do what I want

Oh **** - Adidas buys outdoor brand Five Ten for $25M

Hope they dont fark it up!!!??!!

Adidas buys outdoor brand Five Ten for $25M - Portland Business Journal

Adidas on Thursday said it has acquired California outdoor footwear and apparel brand Five Ten in a $25 million deal that cements the sportswear giant’s commitment to the outdoor market.

The German athletic footwear and apparel brand, which keeps its North American headquarters in North Portland, in the past three years has made a massive push into the outdoor market, a segment it plans to grow to nearly $700 million in sales by 2015.

Redlands, Calif.-based Five Ten produces a line of both casual and technical apparel and footwear that Adidas says has been embraced by climbers, mountain bikers and other outdoor athletes.

Its lineup includes the Stealth product family featuring more than a half-dozen high-friction rubber compounds on footwear that help athletes gain traction in various conditions.

Its “Elite Team” of endorsers includes Dean Potter, who National Geographic this year named as its athlete of the year, champion big-mountain skier JT Holmes, and renowned action sports athlete Suz Graham.

"Five Ten has continuously been at the forefront of innovations and shares the same passion for athletes as we do at Adidas,” Rolf Reinschmidt, senior vice president of Adidas’ outdoor division, said in a news release. “It represents an excellent addition to the adidasOutdoor portfolio and will allow us to expand into complementary market segments.”
    Guy.Ford

I'm not really an @sshole, I just act like one online.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Wow.

I remember when FiveTen started up, we used to go down to the warehouse for second sales on climbing shoes (back when that's all they made).

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    hmmmmm.......

better stockpile some impacts

mtbr member
    $25M...that's it??
    seems low to me.
    Hell, I could have lined up some investors and bought it!
    ...HA! yeah right...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I don't see why people are unhappy with this. All this is doing is giving 5 10 deeper pockets and more resources. A big company like adidas wouldnt take over with the intentions of putting out a lower quality product for the same price. If they have any brains they are going to try to expand and diversify the product range in order to combat other rising competitors in the action footwear market. Don't know about you guys, but I think superstars with stealth rubber would be sick

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by Norcoshore1 View Post
    I don't see why people are unhappy with this. All this is doing is giving 5 10 deeper pockets and more resources. A big company like adidas wouldnt take over with the intentions of putting out a lower quality product for the same price. If they have any brains they are going to try to expand and diversify the product range in order to combat other rising competitors in the action footwear market. Don't know about you guys, but I think superstars with stealth rubber would be sick
    exactly. all this means is that 5 10 will have better shoe tech in them. beside, adidas was already involved in the mtb scene.

mtbr member
    That's an interesting development. I have been wearing Adidas for a while now just as my everyday shoes and am impressed with what they have available but it will certainly be intriguing to see what the future holds here.

Slightly different in my opinion but keep in mind that Fiat owns Ferrari and the two couldn't be more different.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

mtbr member
    I like adidas for street shoes. I like 5.10 for bike shoes. This could go well, fingers crossed.

外国人
    Jun 2007
    i remember adidas hematoma clipless shoes. i hope they don't eff it up. maybe its time to get me my hellcats before adidas muddles it up
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A Select Start

mtbr member
    Hopefully they can put some money into the sport, if it's the Freecaster DH series, that would be cool!

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    I still want a 5.10 built specifically for trail use. Basically a trimmed down Impact. Thinner, lighter, more breathable.

EDIT: Does this mean we will see Soccer and Basketball shoes with Stealth rubber? $25 million for a company like Addidas could be just a technology acquisition.

Glad to Be Alive
    Hopefully they don't close the place and move it to china
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

usually cranky
    keep in mind adidas own salomon and they have been pretty hands off there so...

mtbr member
    always thought these were kinda cool

newless cluebie
    Sep 2009
    Maybe they'll increase 5.10's QC.

Tread separation, bits and pieces shearing off from normal wear.. that's from two different pairs of Freeriders.

I really like the Stealth rubber, and they're darned comfy, just wish they lasted longer.
    My Trifecta: Rocky Mountain Flatline Pro, Rocky Mountain Slayer SXC70, eBay Carbon Hardtail

mtbr member
    I just looked at an old Decline ad: "Core not Corperate", I guess not so much anymore....

Love their climbing shoes, the warehouse seconds, if I rode flats I'd wear them...
    I'm [SIZE="4"]GNARcissistic[/SIZE]

CAN YOU DIG IT??!!??!!!??
    Quote Originally Posted by vaelin View Post
    Maybe they'll increase 5.10's QC.

Tread separation, bits and pieces shearing off from normal wear.. that's from two different pairs of Freeriders.

I really like the Stealth rubber, and they're darned comfy, just wish they lasted longer.
    A buddy o'mine has been riding th dog dookie out of his 5.10 impacts & you cant tell they have ever touched a pin on a pedal....
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KAZU View Post
    always thought these were kinda cool

I was going to say that perhaps now 5.10's won't look like the stuff left in the bin ends at Walmart, but having seen those...

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    Salomon was sold to Amer Sports in 2005

I'm exited about this deal though. I would definitely want a trail shoe like thrasher_s suggested!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    No, they sold Salomon years ago to Amer, the same company that owns Mavic.

Adidas does however own Reebok, Rockport and TaylorMade ( golf shoes) ...

I do what I want
    More info...

Besides the press release posted behind the break, we got this note from Nancy, Five Ten’s PR manager:

“One aspect of business that the press release doesn’t address is Five Ten’s US production. We will not only be maintaining our production of rock shoes and Guide Tennies and Yosemite Jeans in the US, but hope to bring more production back to the US.”

Here’s hopin’…

PRESS RELEASE: The adidas Group today announced that it has signed a share purchase agreement to acquire Five Ten, a leading performance brand in outdoor action sports. The adidas Group intends to purchase the entire Five Ten business, which includes all of the issued share capital of Five Ten USA. The total purchase price is USD 25 million in cash at closing and contingent payments, which are dependent on Five Ten achieving certain performance measures over the next three years. The transaction is expected to close in the next couple of weeks.

As part of its Strategic Business Plan Route 2015, the adidas Group expects sales in the outdoor segment to exceed € 500 million by 2015 based on organic growth. Through the acquisition of Five Ten, the adidas Group will be even better positioned towards the goal to become a leading player in the outdoor market.

“We are very excited to join forces with Five Ten. Five Ten is a leading brand in the technical outdoor market and within the outdoor action sport community. Climbers, mountain bikers and other outdoor athletes around the world highly value their products,” said Rolf Reinschmidt, Senior Vice President adidas Outdoor. “Five Ten has continuously been at the forefront of innovations and shares the same passion for athletes as we do at adidas. It represents an excellent addition to the adidas Outdoor portfolio and will allow us to expand into complementary market segments. This acquisition underscores our clear commitment to the outdoors and our ambition to play a leading role in the outdoor industry going forward. I am very much looking forward to working on this journey together with Charles Cole, Founder and President of Five Ten.”

“The deal provides exciting prospects for Five Ten. Supported by the adidas Group, we can finally reach the full potential that the ‘Brand of the Brave’ has to offer,” commented Charles Cole, Founder and President of Five Ten. “Here at Five Ten, we like the philosophy of adidas’ founder Adi Dassler, with his focus on product quality and in doing whatever is necessary to give the athlete the advantage. adidas has the same principles of putting athletes and performance first that have guided Five Ten for nearly 30 years and we are thrilled to be partnering with them.”

Five Ten has been at the forefront of innovation in the technical outdoor market since the day Stealth, a revolutionary high-friction rubber compound, was created in 1985. Today, the Stealth product family includes more than half a dozen award-winning compounds that provide the highest friction to athletes in various conditions. The Five Ten Elite Team consists of some of the world’s most exciting athletes such as Dean Potter, National Geographic’s 2011 athlete of the year, JT Holmes, champion big-mountain skier and Suz Graham, the most versatile and progressive female action sports athlete in the world.

adidas is the athletic brand in the outdoors. It has a long history in innovative outdoor products including highlights such as the ‘Super Trekking’, the first light trekking shoe, being worn by climbing legend Reinhold Messner for his first Everest ascent without oxygen support in 1978. Its award-winning TERREX collection offers lightweight, technical equipment to athletes in the outdoors. The tradition of adidas founder Adi Dassler, who worked individually with athletes to make them better, continues today. adidas Outdoor has teamed up with top outdoor athletes like the Huber Brothers (Climbing, Germany), Beat Kammerlander (Climbing, Austria) and Barbara Zangerl (Climbing, Austria) as well as prestigious organizations such as Zermatt Alpin Center (Switzerland) and Ragni di Lecco (Italy).

taken from our friends at BikeRumor
    Guy.Ford

I'm not really an @sshole, I just act like one online.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Pssshhh... I don't believe a word of it.

Any time a massive buyout occurs, it's followed by restructuring. In the case of Adidas... well, where are their products made? Exactly. You can bet the farm that it's only a short matter of time til the newly purchased in cranked outta the same factories.

Oh sure sure, they might have a clause in the purchase that keeps the current 5.10 US based workers for X period of time, but likely it's a short term.

This buyout will be no different then all other buy outs. Kudo's to the owners of FiveTen however, though I would have expected a higher purchase price.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DrJosiah View Post
    Pssshhh... I don't believe a word of it.

Any time a massive buyout occurs, it's followed by restructuring. In the case of Adidas... well, where are their products made? Exactly. You can bet the farm that it's only a short matter of time til the newly purchased in cranked outta the same factories.

Oh sure sure, they might have a clause in the purchase that keeps the current 5.10 US based workers for X period of time, but likely it's a short term.

This buyout will be no different then all other buy outs. Kudo's to the owners of FiveTen however, though I would have expected a higher purchase price.
    Purchase price is based on profit, not whether the denizens of mtbr think it's a super product.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Jack View Post
    Purchase price is based on profit, not whether the denizens of mtbr think it's a super product.
    DUH. Figured the company was making more then apparently it is.

I think it's overpriced nonsense for mountain biking, 150 bucks for shoes to bike in?! Joke.

But as a climber I've used FiveTen shoes since the beginning and Stealth rubber was (and still is) some of the best rubber compound for the application.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    This sucks. Adidas better not screw 5.10 up

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast