Thread: Nukeproof Snap?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Nukeproof Snap?

I bumped an older thread but I figured I'd ask in here. Would this be an OK DH/FR bike? It will be commuted on as well. The price isn't so bad about $1200 shipped. The only thing is the seat is very low.

mtbr member
    That is not a DH/FR bike, nor something I would want to commute any real distance on.
    If you want an actual DH/FR bike for that price you will need to look at used stuff, but that's going to be the antithesis of a good commuting bike.
    Last edited by cerebroside; 03-18-2013 at 02:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I'm still looking. What sounded good probably won't work.

I think I'm stuck on hardtail a for now as I'm a beginner. If I could keep the price at or below $1500 I think I'll survive. Salsa's El Mariachi seems close and Jenson has a Banshee Paradox for $1700. I am trying to stay new for less headaches.

perpetual pucker factor
    The thought of using a Demo or V10 to commute the 9 miles to my workplace each day makes my legs, lungs, and wallet want to cry. Sounds like a good hardtail or possibly a 4-5" all mountain bike might fit your purposes much better than a DH bike. There are a LOT of people out there that get full DH bikes because they are super rad looking, have 85,000" of travel, and they can brag to their friends about how rad their DH bike is. Many of these bikes become expensive garage ornaments after a year or two because DH bikes only really do one thing well: go down hills. Not up, not flat. Just down.

Just bear in mind that 'staying new to avoid headaches' will not be as easy as it sounds. A new bike, with its brand new components in that price range might not have the best components on it. A used (not abused, mind you) higher-end group may very well give you less problems in the long run. I for one would rather get a used X0 or XT component group over a brand new Deore or X7 group any day of the week.

At the price you are looking at, I'd suggest getting something like a Giant Trance. It's a fantastic bike for trail riding, can handle some pretty steep stuff, and will still pedal you to work and back efficiently. the 5" of travel will also get you on some tougher trails when you get more comfortable with it. IMHO, it's a FAR better bike than both the Paradox and the Salsa. Better in every single way. They also can easily be found in the $1200-1300 range from a shop if they are leftover new models from the previous year.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by charging_rhinos View Post
    The thought of using a Demo or V10 to commute the 9 miles to my workplace each day makes my legs, lungs, and wallet want to cry. Sounds like a good hardtail or possibly a 4-5" all mountain bike might fit your purposes much better than a DH bike. There are a LOT of people out there that get full DH bikes because they are super rad looking, have 85,000" of travel, and they can brag to their friends about how rad their DH bike is. Many of these bikes become expensive garage ornaments after a year or two because DH bikes only really do one thing well: go down hills. Not up, not flat. Just down.

Just bear in mind that 'staying new to avoid headaches' will not be as easy as it sounds. A new bike, with its brand new components in that price range might not have the best components on it. A used (not abused, mind you) higher-end group may very well give you less problems in the long run. I for one would rather get a used X0 or XT component group over a brand new Deore or X7 group any day of the week.

At the price you are looking at, I'd suggest getting something like a Giant Trance. It's a fantastic bike for trail riding, can handle some pretty steep stuff, and will still pedal you to work and back efficiently. the 5" of travel will also get you on some tougher trails when you get more comfortable with it. IMHO, it's a FAR better bike than both the Paradox and the Salsa. Better in every single way. They also can easily be found in the $1200-1300 range from a shop if they are leftover new models from the previous year.
    This is very true. My friend has a Devinci Wilson and I was riding a Giant DH Comp. The DH bobbed a lot going up hill and I probably walked it on most inclines. It wasn't bad but I would have rather sucked it up a pedaled up the mountain. I mean worst case I could walk a hard tail up but the ride is optional.

A new bike just sounds easier and yes I might not get the lightest/toughest components, it's just a piece of mind. Also been looking at Airborne and Sette for the best value. Names aren't a huge deal to me but if the componentry is decent I could always swap out the frame.

And yes, even as a beginner, the bike might end up sitting in the garage, but I don't think so - I live within a mile of great Colorado trails. A mile within everything actually. It's just dumb to not be riding in such a beautiful area. But I will be doing everything with it for sure. 50/50 commuting and offroad and the trail we rode was pretty hardcore. I wiped out going about 20-25mph, in front of a bunch of vets, best feeling in the world. I'm probably still a little sore and that was two weeks ago.

This all started out as a Sortie, then a SC Heckler, but $2kish might be pushing it in my wallet. HT while a harder ride (and easier in other places) just seems like the most value and versatility right now.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Looks like we have a new champion for the worst ever name for a bike frame.

Seriously... the Snap?

mtbr member
    For $1500, I'd say split the budget to $1400 for the DH and $100 for a commuter. Then track down a second hand Kona or Spesh (a nice condition Stab, Stinky or Big Hit would be within that budget easily, they all go like big square tubed missiles down hills). Then find an old road or touring bike for the commute.

You're not going to get a nice DH bike new for that budget, even the Airborne's not available anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by womble View Post

Seriously... the Snap?
    It makes sense in the context of racing four cross and getting the snap out the gate. But yeah, what's your bike? Snap. Sorry to hear that dude...

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post
    For $1500, I'd say split the budget to $1400 for the DH and $100 for a commuter. Then track down a second hand Kona or Spesh (a nice condition Stab, Stinky or Big Hit would be within that budget easily, they all go like big square tubed missiles down hills). Then find an old road or touring bike for the commute.

You're not going to get a nice DH bike new for that budget, even the Airborne's not available anymore.

It makes sense in the context of racing four cross and getting the snap out the gate. But yeah, what's your bike? Snap. Sorry to hear that dude...
    I'll look into it. The components seemed pretty good for the price and I thought an extended seat post would work. The noob in me was thinking, kinda. Maybe I should raise my budget and buy a Ram/Dam Heckler like I started out with between $1600-2000ish. A commuter could be had for cheap never thought about it. I could still always buy my friend's DH for $150 to keepe in the sport and wait until the season is over or a good deal comes along. I'm keeping my eyes peeled on Pink but I think $1200 for a five year old Heckler is a lot. Everything else was in the $2500-3000 range.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I'm leaning mariachi 2...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by womble View Post

Seriously... the Snap?
    "Crackle", "Pop"....

RideDirt
    I think you have some research to do and find out what you want , the noobie section is open on this foums ya know .

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
    I think you have some research to do and find out what you want , the noobie section is open on this foums ya know .
    I'm on there and only blind fired in here because it sounded good. Guess not, plus it's pretty (to me)