mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Nukeproof Pulse or Intense M16 carbon

So I can't decide between a 2018 Pulse and a 2016 m16c Expert build. Anyone have any experience with either and can offer some insight?

I'm not a racer by any means but I'm coming from a TR-450 and the pulse has similar geometry, which I've come to like. Long slack and low. The m16 seems to be higher, shorter and steeper and all around a very different ride. I'm not sure what to expect.

I'm also concerned with durability and the carbon frame on the intense. I'm looking for the hike to last.

As far as price, I can get the pulse frame and parts for about 3600 total. I found a deal for a new 2016 m16c expert for 3 grand for a complete bike. Fox 40 and all. Seems like a sweet deal.

I'm just torn between the pulse and it's familiar geometry and the intense which would be new territory for me.

I'm 6 ft tall. I've heard the m16c runs small. Should I go for large or XL?

Thanks for any input.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I don't own either but here's my input if you care to know.

Carbon frames are durable. Unless you wrap the bike around a tree, I would try to not worry about it. If you're paranoid (like I was when I got my first carbon bike which is still going strong), you can get this M16 CARBON - INTENSE | InvisiFrame to at least keep the frame pretty.

Second, the only M series bike I've had from Intense was the M9. I'm 5'10.5 and I had a medium frame. If I had to do it again, I'd go large for sure. My Intense 951Evo in medium felt a little more comfortable since it's longer and even then, I put in a 7mm Works Components headset just to stretch it out a bit. Right now it has the same reach numbers as a large M16. A large M16 with a reach adjust headset for you might be an option if you're stuck in between.
    Intense 951 Evo and Intense Carbine 29

My arm hurts a little
    I have the older model pulse. Rips! I actually got it because I wanted something like the 450 geo wise but paid like 2k less then the tranny.

It's a good bike def racer but it jumps really well. I'd ride the newest one any day.

The close outs are probably done but chain reaction always sells the frames 50% off this time of year. I got mine for $1k with a Cane creek double. Pretty much got the frame for $500.

I know nothing about the intense.
    Hardtail downhill
    https://youtu.be/sXhWDoz7_CM
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    tresspassing, thievery and poaching is all part of a DH'ers life

Glad to Be Alive
    3k for fully M-16 ?? that is a steal...get it... I am 6 foot and prefer the large....medium I bend too much. Large feels more comfortable at higher speeds (you feel like you are going slower but in reality you are going faster- it is smoother)
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by #1ORBUST View Post
    I have the older model pulse. Rips! I actually got it because I wanted something like the 450 geo wise but paid like 2k less then the tranny.

It's a good bike def racer but it jumps really well. I'd ride the newest one any day.

The close outs are probably done but chain reaction always sells the frames 50% off this time of year. I got mine for $1k with a Cane creek double. Pretty much got the frame for $500.

I know nothing about the intense.
    I second that. The bike totally rips!!! I rode my pulse in whistler for a month. Ripped everywhere and super playful on the jump lines. I've seen way too many broken Intense frames for me to ever buy one. Get a pulse!

Ricky DH
    Yes, killer deals on the M16's on the Intense webpage!! I stuck with aluminum due to the fact that I tend to crash more than my share. Too bad they don't weld them up any more.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nukeproof Pulse or Intense M16 carbon-m16.jpg