Ugly As F*ck

Northstar tire pressure?

Making my first trip to Northstar tomorrow, what tire pressure is recommended? Just moved out this way and have never ridden any Tahoe/Truckee terrain, but I'm expecting dry, dusty and loose. I'll be riding a trail bike and not a DH bike if that makes any difference.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Northstar tire pressure?

What tires? How much do you weigh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Riding slowly since 1977.

Glad to Be Alive
    looking at mountain....to the right (livewrie, boondocks and Gypsy) run higher pressure left side use lower for traction
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Ugly As F*ck
    Quote Originally Posted by Cary View Post
    What tires? How much do you weigh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kenda Nevegal 2.35 up front and a Kenda Lopes semi slick 2.35 in the rear.

I'm estimating I'll be around 175-180 full geared up.

Ugly As F*ck
    Another note I will not be riding any black trails. I haven't really ridden for several months and I moved here from crappy Texas so even when I was riding it wasn't proper mountain biking. I think I'll bypass the greens and just stick with the blue trails today.

I think I'm around 25 psi in both front and rear, both tires are tubed. Maybe I'll just run it like that and make adjustments on the fly.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    You will get board of the blues really quickly although Coaster is pretty fun. Try PhoDogg Speed Control and Flame out. Those are blacks but very do-able and a lot of fun. Just take it slow, find your comfort level and you will have a blast.

Professional Troll
    2.35 single ply tires at 25 psi at Northstar? I hope you carry tires levers and LOTS of spare tubes.

Ugly As F*ck
    Well that was a wasted trip. I knew they were having a race today but god d*mn there was nowhere to park. I'm sure there are some secret spots people know about but I wouldn't know about them, and I wasn't going to chance parking off the side of the road, I'd probably get towed.

Hopefully it won't be as bad tomorrow... although it's going to be Labor Day. Maybe I just need to show up at 6am to get a parking spot.

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by uglyguy2 View Post
    Well that was a wasted trip. I knew they were having a race today but god d*mn there was nowhere to park. I'm sure there are some secret spots people know about but I wouldn't know about them, and I wasn't going to chance parking off the side of the road, I'd probably get towed.
    LOL there was plenty of parking. There's tons of overflow lots. Parking on the side of the road is fine. I saw 20 cars doing that today at least. If you're there at 9am there is always tons of parking. The parking situation had nothing to do with the race. That's a pretty normal weekend in the middle of the day. The main lot ALWAYS fills up by 11am on a good weekend. There's only ~200 or so parking spots in there, if that.

Glad to Be Alive
    Another note I will not be riding any black trails. I haven't really ridden for several months and I moved here from crappy Texas so even when I was riding it wasn't proper mountain biking. I think I'll bypass the greens and just stick with the blue trails today.

I think I'm around 25 psi in both front and rear, both tires are tubed. Maybe I'll just run it like that and make adjustments on the fly.
    get 2.5's you will need the traction....run more pressure or you will pinch flat
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: Northstar tire pressure?

Hopefully it won't be as bad tomorrow... although it's going to be Labor Day. Maybe I just need to show up at 6am to get a parking spot.
    Even the upper lots? When coming in, go all the way to the main circle and go to your right up on the hill overlooking the village. If those fill, I've never seen it in summer, but you go back out to the stopsign, go left on Big Springs and there are some overflow lots up there.

Ugly As F*ck
    Quote Originally Posted by Procter View Post
    Even the upper lots? When coming in, go all the way to the main circle and go to your right up on the hill overlooking the village. If those fill, I've never seen it in summer, but you go back out to the stopsign, go left on Big Springs and there are some overflow lots up there.
    I did not know about those yesterday, I did however stumble across them when I took the green trail to the end on my very last run today.

Only black trail I tried was Flameout. Someone mentioned Pho Dogg and Speed Control but I never ran across those.

My tubes did not explode. Even with single ply and 25 psi. Maybe I just got lucky, but I'm pretty terrible at line selection so I hit about every rock there was to hit and at the worst possible angles. Don't know how I managed not to crash either because boy do I suck at mountain biking.

> /dev/null 2&>1
    Keep at it man. N* will improve your skills fast. Trial by fire!

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by Procter View Post
    Keep at it man. N* will improve your skills fast. Trial by fire!
    Certainly your hand strength if nothing else!

Glad to Be Alive

. Don't know how I managed not to crash either because boy do I suck at mountain biking.
    we all start somewhere....don't worry about it.....the key is to just have fun....keep riding and take some lessons....lessons are very important so you learn faster

Ugly As F*ck
    Thanks for the positive comments, guys.

I will certainly look into lessons. But that will be next season. I also plan on getting a legit DH bike next year so I have more confidence to try the rest of the black trails.

I'll be up at Northstar the remainder of the days they are open this year. So if you see an ugly guy skidding down an easy trail with pee dribbling down his leg that will probably be me. Feel free to say hello. Or just point and laugh. Whichever.

Glad to Be Alive
    Thanks for the positive comments, guys.

I will certainly look into lessons. But that will be next season. I also plan on getting a legit DH bike next year so I have more confidence to try the rest of the black trails.

I'll be up at Northstar the remainder of the days they are open this year. So if you see an ugly guy skidding down an easy trail with pee dribbling down his leg that will probably be me. Feel free to say hello. Or just point and laugh. Whichever.
    farking funny.....

protect your chain .....don't get pee on your chain...gets some depends

get lessons this year