Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Ugly As F*ck
    Reputation: uglyguy2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    314

    Northstar tire pressure?

    Making my first trip to Northstar tomorrow, what tire pressure is recommended? Just moved out this way and have never ridden any Tahoe/Truckee terrain, but I'm expecting dry, dusty and loose. I'll be riding a trail bike and not a DH bike if that makes any difference.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,352

    Northstar tire pressure?

    What tires? How much do you weigh?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Riding slowly since 1977.

  3. #3
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,265
    looking at mountain....to the right (livewrie, boondocks and Gypsy) run higher pressure left side use lower for traction
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  4. #4
    Ugly As F*ck
    Reputation: uglyguy2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    314
    Quote Originally Posted by Cary View Post
    What tires? How much do you weigh?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kenda Nevegal 2.35 up front and a Kenda Lopes semi slick 2.35 in the rear.

    I'm estimating I'll be around 175-180 full geared up.

  5. #5
    Ugly As F*ck
    Reputation: uglyguy2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    314
    Another note I will not be riding any black trails. I haven't really ridden for several months and I moved here from crappy Texas so even when I was riding it wasn't proper mountain biking. I think I'll bypass the greens and just stick with the blue trails today.

    I think I'm around 25 psi in both front and rear, both tires are tubed. Maybe I'll just run it like that and make adjustments on the fly.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    854
    You will get board of the blues really quickly although Coaster is pretty fun. Try PhoDogg Speed Control and Flame out. Those are blacks but very do-able and a lot of fun. Just take it slow, find your comfort level and you will have a blast.

  7. #7
    Professional Troll
    Reputation: Gemini2k05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,938
    2.35 single ply tires at 25 psi at Northstar? I hope you carry tires levers and LOTS of spare tubes.

  8. #8
    Ugly As F*ck
    Reputation: uglyguy2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    314
    Well that was a wasted trip. I knew they were having a race today but god d*mn there was nowhere to park. I'm sure there are some secret spots people know about but I wouldn't know about them, and I wasn't going to chance parking off the side of the road, I'd probably get towed.

    Hopefully it won't be as bad tomorrow... although it's going to be Labor Day. Maybe I just need to show up at 6am to get a parking spot.

  9. #9
    Professional Troll
    Reputation: Gemini2k05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,938
    Quote Originally Posted by uglyguy2 View Post
    Well that was a wasted trip. I knew they were having a race today but god d*mn there was nowhere to park. I'm sure there are some secret spots people know about but I wouldn't know about them, and I wasn't going to chance parking off the side of the road, I'd probably get towed.
    LOL there was plenty of parking. There's tons of overflow lots. Parking on the side of the road is fine. I saw 20 cars doing that today at least. If you're there at 9am there is always tons of parking. The parking situation had nothing to do with the race. That's a pretty normal weekend in the middle of the day. The main lot ALWAYS fills up by 11am on a good weekend. There's only ~200 or so parking spots in there, if that.

  10. #10
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,265
    Quote Originally Posted by uglyguy2 View Post
    Another note I will not be riding any black trails. I haven't really ridden for several months and I moved here from crappy Texas so even when I was riding it wasn't proper mountain biking. I think I'll bypass the greens and just stick with the blue trails today.

    I think I'm around 25 psi in both front and rear, both tires are tubed. Maybe I'll just run it like that and make adjustments on the fly.
    get 2.5's you will need the traction....run more pressure or you will pinch flat
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  11. #11
    > /dev/null 2&>1
    Reputation: Procter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,440

    Re: Northstar tire pressure?

    Quote Originally Posted by uglyguy2 View Post
    Well that was a wasted trip. I knew they were having a race today but god d*mn there was nowhere to park. I'm sure there are some secret spots people know about but I wouldn't know about them, and I wasn't going to chance parking off the side of the road, I'd probably get towed.

    Hopefully it won't be as bad tomorrow... although it's going to be Labor Day. Maybe I just need to show up at 6am to get a parking spot.
    Even the upper lots? When coming in, go all the way to the main circle and go to your right up on the hill overlooking the village. If those fill, I've never seen it in summer, but you go back out to the stopsign, go left on Big Springs and there are some overflow lots up there.

  12. #12
    Ugly As F*ck
    Reputation: uglyguy2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    314
    Quote Originally Posted by Procter View Post
    Even the upper lots? When coming in, go all the way to the main circle and go to your right up on the hill overlooking the village. If those fill, I've never seen it in summer, but you go back out to the stopsign, go left on Big Springs and there are some overflow lots up there.
    I did not know about those yesterday, I did however stumble across them when I took the green trail to the end on my very last run today.

    Only black trail I tried was Flameout. Someone mentioned Pho Dogg and Speed Control but I never ran across those.

    My tubes did not explode. Even with single ply and 25 psi. Maybe I just got lucky, but I'm pretty terrible at line selection so I hit about every rock there was to hit and at the worst possible angles. Don't know how I managed not to crash either because boy do I suck at mountain biking.

  13. #13
    > /dev/null 2&>1
    Reputation: Procter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,440
    Keep at it man. N* will improve your skills fast. Trial by fire!

  14. #14
    Professional Troll
    Reputation: Gemini2k05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,938
    Quote Originally Posted by Procter View Post
    Keep at it man. N* will improve your skills fast. Trial by fire!
    Certainly your hand strength if nothing else!

  15. #15
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,265
    Quote Originally Posted by uglyguy2 View Post

    . Don't know how I managed not to crash either because boy do I suck at mountain biking.
    we all start somewhere....don't worry about it.....the key is to just have fun....keep riding and take some lessons....lessons are very important so you learn faster
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  16. #16
    Ugly As F*ck
    Reputation: uglyguy2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    314
    Thanks for the positive comments, guys.

    I will certainly look into lessons. But that will be next season. I also plan on getting a legit DH bike next year so I have more confidence to try the rest of the black trails.

    I'll be up at Northstar the remainder of the days they are open this year. So if you see an ugly guy skidding down an easy trail with pee dribbling down his leg that will probably be me. Feel free to say hello. Or just point and laugh. Whichever.

  17. #17
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,265
    Quote Originally Posted by uglyguy2 View Post
    Thanks for the positive comments, guys.

    I will certainly look into lessons. But that will be next season. I also plan on getting a legit DH bike next year so I have more confidence to try the rest of the black trails.

    I'll be up at Northstar the remainder of the days they are open this year. So if you see an ugly guy skidding down an easy trail with pee dribbling down his leg that will probably be me. Feel free to say hello. Or just point and laugh. Whichever.
    farking funny.....


    protect your chain .....don't get pee on your chain...gets some depends


    get lessons this year
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Similar Threads

  1. Tire/Tire pressure question
    By Mr. 68 Hundred in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-24-2014, 10:26 AM
  2. Bigger tire...should I increase tire pressure?
    By Freewillie in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-16-2014, 02:02 PM
  3. Really Northstar? *Northstar 2012 Thread*
    By Moosey in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 150
    Last Post: 04-21-2013, 11:39 PM
  4. Tire Pressure ?
    By rickcin in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 07-11-2011, 12:18 AM
  5. tire pressure
    By tman152 in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-14-2011, 04:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •