mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Is this normal for a Lyrik Solo Air?

It seems to do this after every ride. What's normal and what's not? What fix is necessary?
    Attached Images Attached Images

StraightOuttaCompton
    im not completely sure, but i think that means you need new seals. I could be wrong but one of my previous did that and needed new seals.
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

moaaar shimz
    New seals.

Meh.
    How old is the fork? A little bit of weeping isn't necessarily terrible.

moaaar shimz
    That looks like too much weeping.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Exactly 5 rides on it. It is a 2008.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Fine dry powdery dust can get past the wiper and under the seals and prevent propper sealing. Too much oil in the lowers would also be an issue (causing high internal pressures).

I would pull the lowers, clean the seals good and pack the seal/wiper are with some slick honey or silicone grease (IMO this is never done at the factory)...then put back together with the propper amount of oil in the lowers.

If they still leak (I dont think they will) new seals are in order. The quality of the RS seals is not the best.....you could find a better replacement (NOK brand or similar) at a local hydraulic/seal suplier.

PULL
    Quote Originally Posted by davep
    Fine dry powdery dust can get past the wiper and under the seals and prevent propper sealing. Too much oil in the lowers would also be an issue (causing high internal pressures).

I would pull the lowers, clean the seals good and pack the seal/wiper are with some slick honey or silicone grease (IMO this is never done at the factory)...then put back together with the propper amount of oil in the lowers.

If they still leak (I dont think they will) new seals are in order. The quality of the RS seals is not the best.....you could find a better replacement (NOK brand or similar) at a local hydraulic/seal suplier.
    When I spoke to RS about this problem on my totem, they said do not pack the seals with anything. They said wipe the seals clean and reinstall.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by NoManerz
    When I spoke to RS about this problem on my totem, they said do not pack the seals with anything. They said wipe the seals clean and reinstall.

Did you talk to an engineer, one of the 'on the road' service guys, or a sales person?

Funny that their factory authorized facility in the UK has posted a how-to video, and make a destinct point of greasing the seals each and every bushing lube change......

Either way, RS has not, and is still not known for their seals (quality or functionality). That is why I recomended replacing the seal with something of a much higher quality if they had gone bad.
    FYI, marzocchi is the only fork co. with a background in hydraulics (commercial pumps) and are really the only fork co with an engineering background in pressure hydraulic sealing and they do and recomend greaseing the seal space every rebuild. They also happen to use the same seals that I recommended above...and we all know how marz seals work and last in comparison the rest of the industry (so a search if you do not).

In theory, the seals should work fine either way, it has just been my experience over the last six or seven years or so, that some thin grease reduces seal friction, and seems to keep the seals workin properly, longer. I have 'fixed' many forks with the same symptoms as the orig poster with the precedure I recomended.

I am not arguing that they did not tell you this, I would however argue that sealing is NOT RS's knoweldge strong point (for many reasons), and that the possibility of getting someone on the phone who has actually seen real-world results from varying service protocols is near nill.

PULL
    Interesting. I am used the the way marz rebuilds forks and honestly I forgot to put in my post that always build my forks back up that way. I found I was getting even more leaking when I packed the seals full of fork grease, that's what prompted my call to RS. My seals might have just been too far gone, so it could be a wash on my fork.

Its got what plants crave
    How do you store your bike? Upright? Store it upside down next time and see if it helps or hurts, or if it leaks.