mtbr member
    May 2008

norco shore 3 vs specialized big hit fsr 2

im looking for a new fr/dh/aggressive am bike and wondering if anybody has tried the two out, has opinions.

Thanks

Bike Hustler
    As far as various company's renditions of the FSR design, my list goes:

1.Intense
    2.Norco
    3.Specialized
    [SIZE="4"]SHAM-WOW[/SIZE]

rider
    Feb 2008
    norco.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by LoozinSkin
    As far as various company's renditions of the FSR design, my list goes:

1.Intense
    2.Norco
    3.Specialized
    Rendition? Uh, Specialized holds the patent for a reason. It's all the same maybe just different lengths. Intense and Norco pay big cake to use that design. Come to think of it Intense doesn't even use the FSR linkage anymore. What other company has a LIFETIME warranty to back up their products. Neither Norco nor Intense. Your list goes how? Which of those manufacturers bikes have you actually owned? Thought so.

StraightOuttaCompton
    i have never ridden the norco but the BigHit is a nice bike. they are cheap and last for a long time. if you havent noticed, all the old bikes in the albums are bighits, back when they had 24" wheel
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

Bike Hustler
    Quote Originally Posted by burga
    Rendition? Uh, Specialized holds the patent for a reason. It's all the same maybe just different lengths. Intense and Norco pay big cake to use that design. Come to think of it Intense doesn't even use the FSR linkage anymore. What other company has a LIFETIME warranty to back up their products. Neither Norco nor Intense. Your list goes how? Which of those manufacturers bikes have you actually owned? Thought so.

I guess your right... Specialized holds the patent because they are one of the largest and overpriced corporate companies in the industry and can afford to hold it... not because they are God's gift to biking.

I speak from experience on an Intense M1, Norco Atomic, and a Bighit.
    While Intense may not use FSR anymore it's clear why: VPP is far superior on almost all levels! That being said, the M1 is still one of the most dominant frames as far as podium trips the UCI has ever seen in its history. No doubt about it, that frame revolutionized DH racing as we know it.

And besides my list is just my personal opinion on the matter taking into consideration the only valuable feedback one should ever take into consideration when forming an opinion on a bike: PERSONAL PREFERENCE

TO ME, Spec bighits feel mooshy and dead, M1's feel very responsive and lively in comparison, Norcos sit somewhere in the middle even if all 3 bob miserably when mashing the pedals in the flat sections.

So you can take my list and shove it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    I have 08 Shore II and it's great. I've not ridden any o the newer bighit's thou.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    awsome, seems like the shore is the one to go with.
    thanks for the replies

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I guess your right... Specialized holds the patent because they are one of the largest and overpriced corporate companies in the industry and can afford to hold it... not because they are God's gift to biking.

While Intense may not use FSR anymore it's clear why: VPP is far superior on almost all levels! That being said, the M1 is still one of the most dominant frames as far as podium trips the UCI has ever seen in its history. No doubt about it, that frame revolutionized DH racing as we know it.

And besides my list is just my personal opinion on the matter taking into consideration the only valuable feedback one should ever take into consideration when forming an opinion on a bike: PERSONAL PREFERENCE

TO ME, Spec bighits feel mooshy and dead, M1's feel very responsive and lively in comparison, Norcos sit somewhere in the middle even if all 3 bob miserably when mashing the pedals in the flat sections.

Overpriced? Are you serious? LIFETIME WARRANTY......Hello, Mcfly.......anybody home? In comparison to intense? This isn't even worth my response.

Bike Hustler
    ev's dude
    Lifetime warranty or not, I think most people agree that it doesn't justify the sticker price for a mass produced bike. When you buy an Intense bike your buying a handmade boutique piece of equipment. People expect to pay for that. It's somewhat more justifiable.

Anyways this thread has gotten way off base.
    Back to the original question... The new Norcos are really nice.

banned
    Mar 2008

Yeah I'll take your list and shove it right up your ass... obviously you have something against Specialized...rather you love or hate them they have done more for the progression of full suspension desgins then most companies combined. To this day FSR technology is still one of the best and one of the only truly active suspension desgins. Intense was good when they used it, now they use one of the worst design...ever ridden a VPP linkage bike? Not so hot is it? Basically just a single piviot with linkage, lots of brake dive and pedal kick back. But probably cheaper for Intense to go in on the VPP with Santa Cruz then to keep licensing FSR suspension. Now enough with wasting my time on you.

Now back to the real question.... Both are great bikes, obviously same suspension. I own a North Shore and have spent time on the Big Hits. I would go with the Norco, honestly I am a huge fan of Norcos, their bikes are solid and kick ass, and for the money you get a better bike build. But the best thing to do is test ride both of them and make your choice, either one is a great ride for the money.

banned
    Mar 2008
    ev's dude
    Lifetime warranty or not, I think most people agree that it doesn't justify the sticker price for a mass produced bike. When you buy an Intense bike your buying a handmade boutique piece of equipment. People expect to pay for that. It's somewhat more justifiable.

Anyways this thread has gotten way off base.
    Back to the original question... The new Norcos are really nice.

Yeah a handmade frame that costs what a complete mass produced bike costs, who wants to spend over 2 grand on a frame then build it? There are plenty of kick ass mass produced bikes, Norco and Specialized being two of them that will probably out ride an Intense...I'd like to see any Intense hold a candle to a Demo...one of the worlds strongest frames ever built...a frame that takes over 10g's of force to break...yeah now what MR Intense, can your handmade frame do that? Thought so ...

Oh yeah, and Transitions are also handmade...again, much stronger and better frame for so much less.

Bike Hustler
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtGash
    Yeah I'll take your list and shove it right up your ass... obviously you have something against Specialized...rather you love or hate them they have done more for the progression of full suspension desgins then most companies combined. To this day FSR technology is still one of the best and one of the only truly active suspension desgins. Intense was good when they used it, now they use one of the worst design...ever ridden a VPP linkage bike? Not so hot is it? Basically just a single piviot with linkage, lots of brake dive and pedal kick back. But probably cheaper for Intense to go in on the VPP with Santa Cruz then to keep licensing FSR suspension. Now enough with wasting my time on you.

Now back to the real question.... Both are great bikes, obviously same suspension. I own a North Shore and have spent time on the Big Hits. I would go with the Norco, honestly I am a huge fan of Norcos, their bikes are solid and kick ass, and for the money you get a better bike build. But the best thing to do is test ride both of them and make your choice, either one is a great ride for the money.

Wow I guess I am just striking out here. I absolutely disagree with just about everything you've said! Single pivot with linkage? Kickback on a VPP? Again I dumbfounded by your analysis.

I'm over it really. I'll agree to disagree on this one since the only reason I felt compelled to drag this out was when I was attacked by Burga for stating my opinion on my personal preference.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    wow this thread went south fast, chill on the insults guys.

mtbr member
    What was the question again? Oh yeah Norco for bling factor and Bighit for just getting it done.
    But even a lousy downhill run is better than a day in the office!
    "SunnyRaceGirl"

www.specialized.com