Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: freeriderB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,560

    New question here. Non UST on my deemax?

    How effective is a NON UST tire on my UST Deemax?
    UST tire prices are through the roof, so I was thinking of using a non UST with some extra Stan's.

    Anyone do this on their deemax...or 823's?

    I'm thinking it must be fine since so many of you convert regular rims using the Stans kit.

  2. #2
    moaaar shimz
    Reputation: tacubaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,957

  3. #3
    should know better.....
    Reputation: neverwalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    748
    You should be fine, just apply the stan's the way he describes in the videos on his site. the tire should eventually seal up. Check his site, or search here for incompatible tires.

  4. #4
    Its got what plants crave
    Reputation: Jim311's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    5,936
    Depends on what kind of tire you're going to run. Some tires suck and others work fine in that application. I've heard good reports of standard Maxxis tires working okay in that application, but I think in general the heavier tires with stronger beads are the ones that most people have good luck with. Me personally.. I'd pay the extra 15 bucks and get a tire you KNOW will work.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dhpete93's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    122
    I've ran 2.35 Maxxis Minion DHFs just fine on my Deemax, as have I with 2.35 Maxxis High Rollers. They don't seat as easy, but if you're using an air compressor that shouldn't be a problem at all.

    The only problem I do have, is their bead retention. They generally don't hold like a UST tire, so expect more burping. Much more.

    I'm trying some 2.25 Maxxis ADvantage FR next. If they arrive at the shop soon I'll report how they seat. But so far I have had no problems at all.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: freeriderB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,560

    burp

    Quote Originally Posted by dhpete93
    I've ran 2.35 Maxxis Minion DHFs just fine on my Deemax, as have I with 2.35 Maxxis High Rollers. They don't seat as easy, but if you're using an air compressor that shouldn't be a problem at all.

    The only problem I do have, is their bead retention. They generally don't hold like a UST tire, so expect more burping. Much more.

    I'm trying some 2.25 Maxxis ADvantage FR next. If they arrive at the shop soon I'll report how they seat. But so far I have had no problems at all.

    burping...this is what concerns me.
    I only shuttle this bike, so the speed is fast and there are some decent sized drops and tons of rocks....so I don't want burping at the worst possible time....

    I have a compressor, and my goal was to buy some non UST Intense 2.5 909's which are dual ply.
    Think these would seat well?

  7. #7
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,265
    burping on drops...loss of pressure if you ride resorts....goes away after 3 to 4 weeks because stans finally seals the bead
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: freeriderB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,560

    burps...

    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    burping on drops...loss of pressure if you ride resorts....goes away after 3 to 4 weeks because stans finally seals the bead
    SMT, what's the possibility of the tire slipping off the rim?
    I'm not talking the whole tire obviously...but if it burps, I guess the bead could possibly roll off the rim...right?

    3 to 4 weekends (~5 hours) each day sounds a little risky...
    Think I may buy one 909 and see how well it seats.

    What about a non UST Nevegal with a wire bead?
    these are ~$15 - $20 cheaper than say a Minion UST.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dhpete93's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by freeriderB
    burping...this is what concerns me.
    I only shuttle this bike, so the speed is fast and there are some decent sized drops and tons of rocks....so I don't want burping at the worst possible time....

    I have a compressor, and my goal was to buy some non UST Intense 2.5 909's which are dual ply.
    Think these would seat well?
    I have no problems at all on drops, nor do I on rocks. I've also ran pressures as low as 13 psi and again, no problems. They do, however not like to stay at the pressure you pump them up to initially. Mine tend to lose air until they sit firmly at 20 psi. And then then never lose any more.

    The burping happens if you do a whip and land bad, or land something bad (think sideways landings, the sort that'll unseat most tires). It's usually only minor, but If you land hard enough to roll a tube & tire setup off the bead, it'll do the same with the tubeless setup. Depending on how hard you land, if it's an extremely hard hit it could completely unseat the tire, I'd be more worried about the state of my wheel on that sort of thing, though.

    This of course will differ with tire pressures and your riding style. The only time I ever have burped my tires is trying spins and landing a moto-whip really bad.

    I wouldn't advise the use of Intense non UST tires for a tubeless setup. It's up on the no tubes website that they "have weaker beads. Which can cause the bead to severely stretch or snap"

  10. #10
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,265
    Quote Originally Posted by freeriderB
    SMT, what's the possibility of the tire slipping off the rim?
    I'm not talking the whole tire obviously...but if it burps, I guess the bead could possibly roll off the rim...right?

    3 to 4 weekends (~5 hours) each day sounds a little risky...
    Think I may buy one 909 and see how well it seats.

    What about a non UST Nevegal with a wire bead?
    these are ~$15 - $20 cheaper than say a Minion UST.
    there is always the possibility of tire slipping off rim...I have heard a Michelin doing this on Kamakazie (Mammoth)....in reality I wouldn't worry about it....tire will go flat or be low before going off rim.....you should be able to feel the tire rolling to side if air pressure is to low.

    In addition....run approx 5 to 8 pounds more in your tire then when you use a tube...IMO the tire grips that much more without a tube

    loose, sandy, dusty conditions I run 25 to 27psi....just rained, good grippy trails I could be as high as 40psi for more speed but usually around 32 to 35
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: freeriderB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,560

    no tubes site

    Quote Originally Posted by dhpete93
    I have no problems at all on drops, nor do I on rocks. I've also ran pressures as low as 13 psi and again, no problems. They do, however not like to stay at the pressure you pump them up to initially. Mine tend to lose air until they sit firmly at 20 psi. And then then never lose any more.

    The burping happens if you do a whip and land bad, or land something bad (think sideways landings, the sort that'll unseat most tires). It's usually only minor, but If you land hard enough to roll a tube & tire setup off the bead, it'll do the same with the tubeless setup. Depending on how hard you land, if it's an extremely hard hit it could completely unseat the tire, I'd be more worried about the state of my wheel on that sort of thing, though.

    This of course will differ with tire pressures and your riding style. The only time I ever have burped my tires is trying spins and landing a moto-whip really bad.

    I wouldn't advise the use of Intense non UST tires for a tubeless setup. It's up on the no tubes website that they "have weaker beads. Which can cause the bead to severely stretch or snap"
    *********************
    thanks for the info....I did not know there was a list of tires on the Stans site.
    I'll check it out before I buy anything.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •