e-misanthrope

Nicolai 2mxtb - anyone ridden one?

I'm in the market for a new bike and stumbled across this on the Nicolai site, has anyone had a chance to try one out?

Err?

http://www.nicolai.net/products/e-frames/e-2mxtb.html
    Don't waive your rights with your flags.

mtbr member
    Very nice, and VERY expensive.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Err was selling one IIRC...so he will probably drop in with some knowledge on it

OH $#!% TREE!
    This will probably annoy a few people, but it looks an awful lot like an imperial
    Originally Posted by DJBiker

"I went to the doctor and told him "hey doc, it hurts when I go like this" and the doc said "well don't do that"

I HATE WINTER......

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by urbanfreerider666
    This will probably annoy a few people, but it looks an awful lot like an imperial
    this frame actually preceded the imperial (its been around for a few years).

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    oh my god... that is freakin sexy

Your retarded
    Toni (Err) is the man to talk to. There are a couple Nicolai's that are contenders for a next season bike and I've been talking with him about them for some time. He's both your best source of knowledge and pricing. Through him, Nicolai's are actually very reasonably priced, IMO.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

PULL
    Quote Originally Posted by xy9ine
    this frame actually preceded the imperial (its been around for a few years).
    leave it to the germans to always be first.

Frame looks hawt!!!

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    It does look a lot like an Imperial. Too beefy to my eye and my eye likes beef. Lean. Preferably, free range & grass fed, but I digress. What's attractive about it is the head tube angle. 65-degrees and designed for a Totem! That'd be bad-ass!

The scratch my head part: 15.9" chainstays? On what is supposed to be a FR/DH hardtail? Too short and it will beat your ass into tapioca pudding over the braking bumps and rocky bits. 17" min on a HT for that kind of riding.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    Err was selling one IIRC...so he will probably drop in with some knowledge on it
    I think he is selling a BMXTB which looks a bit more "normal".

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Yo!

I have a bmxtb, haven't ridden a 2mxtb, but yeah, it's designed to be a beast.

In a nutshell it'll be strong, slack, and a bit beefy (heavy). Good for serious throw-down FR.

If you have an specific questions, just holler. Shoot me an email if you want pricing, contact info below.

e-misanthrope
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    It does look a lot like an Imperial. Too beefy to my eye and my eye likes beef. Lean. Preferably, free range & grass fed, but I digress. What's attractive about it is the head tube angle. 65-degrees and designed for a Totem! That'd be bad-ass!

The scratch my head part: 15.9" chainstays? On what is supposed to be a FR/DH hardtail? Too short and it will beat your ass into tapioca pudding over the braking bumps and rocky bits. 17" min on a HT for that kind of riding.
    Yeah, I thought that seemed awfully short for a "DH" HT - I'm also wary of the 41.2" WB.

And what does a BB height of "5mm" equate to in Americanese?
    Don't waive your rights with your flags.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by lagarto grande
    Yeah, I thought that seemed awfully short for a "DH" HT - I'm also wary of the 41.2" WB.

I think they're listing a spec for BB drop, or in this case, a BB rise of 5mm above the axle centerline. BB height would be about 13.2" assuming a 26" diameter wheel. About right where it should be IMHO. If that seems low to you, remember that BB height on full squishies have to account for sag which is why they seem so high. You could knock an inch off that for a real DH hardtail and it'd be better for racing but higher is better for techy slow stuff. I'd still get a Foes 4X or a Knolly Delirium or Endorphin for an all around bike since Noel is dragging his ass on the Free Radical (don't make me come up there, Noel). I still haven't heard back from Brooklyn on the Slope Ranger.

BTW, DW was saying that Evil has a new hardtail, it's called a Cokker or something along those lines. You should check that out too. Can't argue with his ability to hit all that shite at speed on his Imperial....of course, he is only 16 and as limber as al dente pasta. Can't forget Doberman with their wicked cool HT's and they're saying only a 4-6 week wait for custom geo and they have stock bikes in stock. If you can't get the HT you want off the shelf, I'd go with the Dobe, plus they have cool accents.

The Nicolai def gets the exotica points...but that rear end geo just doesn't make sense to me on a bike with FR/DH intentions.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by lagarto grande

The frame is not desiged for DH race or particularly fast DH riding. It is designed to be quick and nimble. The short stays make it easy to really throw around. Manualing through rock gardens, hitting lippy slope style jumps, making turns on ladders/skinnies will be it's strong points. I ride a UFO-DS with 16.4" stays, it's a blast to ride, super nimble, but razor sharp.

That said, if you wanted a version of it with longer stays so that it is extremely stable, that should be no problem.

I'm honestly not sure why they even populated the BB height field. For the most part they haven't published that number for their frames but I might be able to track down some info. I can tell you that for the most part, Nicolai favors low bottom brackets. I would expect 12.5" to 13" depending on which fork you choose.

Your retarded
    Can't forget Doberman with their wicked cool HT's and they're saying only a 4-6 week wait for custom geo and they have stock bikes in stock. If you can't get the HT you want off the shelf, I'd go with the Dobe, plus they have cool accents.
    I can vouch for that. I took DWF's advice and was very happy that I did. My DOB has 16.5"-17.5" stays, a 0.75" BB drop (12.8" BBH), and 67 deg HA. Then again, this one was built for an entirely different purpose than what you seem to have in mind.

(Thanks DWF for pointing me in their direction)

A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by Err
    The frame is not desiged for DH race or particularly fast DH riding. It is designed to be quick and nimble. The short stays make it easy to really throw around. Manualing through rock gardens, hitting lippy slope style jumps, making turns on ladders/skinnies will be it's strong points. I ride a UFO-DS with 16.4" stays, it's a blast to ride, super nimble, but razor sharp.

That said, if you wanted a version of it with longer stays so that it is extremely stable, that should be no problem.

I'm honestly not sure why they even populated the BB height field. For the most part they haven't published that number for their frames but I might be able to track down some info. I can tell you that for the most part, Nicolai favors low bottom brackets. I would expect 12.5" to 13" depending on which fork you choose.
    My bad. My interpretation of their website ad copy said DH Race hardtail and it *is* designed for a Totem (all specs listed are assuming a Totem fork) so I assumed that was its calling. 15.9 stays is dirt jumper/urban/26" BMX kind of length. So yeah, it's either a play bike or maybe they got their specs mixed up?

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    My bad. My interpretation of their website ad copy said DH Race hardtail and it *is* designed for a Totem (all specs listed are assuming a Totem fork) so I assumed that was its calling. 15.9 stays is dirt jumper/urban/26" BMX kind of length. So yeah, it's either a play bike or maybe they got their specs mixed up?
    It's confusing thing with them sometimes, understanding their intent. You'll note that they specify no less than 3 different types of downhill - World Cup, Downhill, and Local Downhill. With the World Cup rating being their purpose built race rigs, Downhill being their more freeride oriented, non-race specific long travel frames, and Local Downhill being the designation for their purpose built freeride frames that have the strength to handle DH racing even if it's not really their calling. The 2MXTB is listed for Local Downhill, Freeride, and Urban. They probably should change the order that their written on the website to better illustrate the frame's purpose. After a bit of study of their World Cup geometry you'd find that Nicolai, like most everyone else knows that a DH race frame needs a bit over 17" CS's. The 15.9 chainstays are a bit longer than their dirt jumper, BMXTB, but still quite short for a bike that's meant to be very nimble. That said, Nicolai is able to tweak geo anywhere that is technically feasible to suit the riders needs.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickle
    I can vouch for that. I took DWF's advice and was very happy that I did. My DOB has 16.5"-17.5" stays, a 0.75" BB drop (12.8" BBH), and 67 deg HA. Then again, this one was built for an entirely different purpose than what you seem to have in mind.

(Thanks DWF for pointing me in their direction)

Hot!!!