mtbr member

Next fork - Boxxer Race or wait for dual crown Domain?

Hey all,

So after a major blow out of my Manipoo Travis at whistler on saturday, its time to start savin' up for another fork. I'm not fixing my travis again...it's been good, and i definitely got the 200 bucks out of it that i bought it for, but its time to move on.

My budget is going to be limited, so i'm not against something used. But, I think i've narrowed it down to the Boxxer Race or the new Dual crown domain that's coming out (in august i believe?) and wanted to see what people thought between those two. Or my other option would be to find a few year old fox 40 for around the same price point (650-800$). the 40 is kind of my dream fork, but i've never actually spent any time on one, nor can i afford it new... I'm hoping to find something in the closer to 600$ range, but I've never bought a decent DH fork, and I'd like to end up with something quality that will last for sometime.

as far as use goes, it's primary use will be bike parks and shuttling. I keep telling myself every year I'm going to be doing the NW races, but have yet to consistently make it due to finances and other things coming up. The biggest thing for me is going to be durability though. I don't have an unlimited bike fix fund, so i want to get something that can take a lickin' and keep on tickin' for a few years - this is part of what is pulling me to the new Domain and nickel plated stanchions... however, i really like the boxxer and the lighter weight is sure appealing. But from what i can tell, the internals are going to be pretty comparable on the Race/Domain?

Also, anyone have any thoughts on repair/maintenance costs between the Boxxer/domain/fox 40s?

thanks for any input!
    2009 Santa Cruz Nomad
    2008 Transition Blinside

Bikes are kewl.

Now with More Wood
    Hard to know for sure what the new Domain will be like, given that it's not out yet. I only have good things to say about my Boxxer Race (2010) though...simple but effective adjustability, and a very well-behaved fork in general. I ride primarily FR and a bit of DH, I've been on mine for about 1 year now, with just a couple of lower clean/relubes it's still perfect. It sees quite a bit of jump action, the occassional hard landing and has been through quite a few crashes, just normal wear and tear to show for it. Seals are still good, Maxle works like on day one, and the damping action is still what it should be. Nothing major to report.
    Last edited by Iceman2058; 07-07-2010 at 01:07 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    If you can spend around $600 on a new fork an '06 - '07 Marzocchi 888 is supposedly one of the toughest forks out there as well as performing amazingly. According to a couple guys on here you can put a new part in it and it performs as good (or better) than the modern higher end forks out there. I have never done this but it's a hell of a good deal and if it really performs that well it seem the only logical choice if you're looking to save some cash.

mtbr member
    Yah, thats not a bad idea either. To be honest though, I'd like to stay away from anything too old as i plan on having this fork for another 2-4 years at least. Also, i'm not a HUGE fan of Marzocchi, i know they make good stuff (well did), but as a personal note kinda wanna keep it to Rock Shox or the Fox.

thanks for the input though!
    2009 Santa Cruz Nomad
    2008 Transition Blinside

Bikes are kewl.

Go back to school
    I just read an article about a 5.2lb Marzocchi 55 dual crown with 180mm of travel and the new Evo cart...May wait a little longer and save up?
    Die to ride, ride to die

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    My new SX came with a Domain (single crown) and I am very, very impressed with this fork. Both small and big impact sensitivity is amazing and the last stroke of the travel revamps beatutifully when going big. If the double crown is the same, I would definetely go for it.

My DH bike has the 888 RCV on them and they are plush I must say but not as good as the Domains.

The only Boxxer Race I've tried (2010) is not as plush I tought it would be, even running with a soft sping. I honestly wasn't impressed with it.

So, in order from better to worse, the list would be Domain would still be the first choice, then 888 and the Boxxers.

I have never ridden top end forks due to $$ limitations and from your posts, I believe your budget is for the forks discussed here.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by iguanabartola
    The only Boxxer Race I've tried (2010) is not as plush I tought it would be, even running with a soft sping. I honestly wasn't impressed with it.
    I have to agree here. After riding the race and team back to back, i could see where the extra cost for the "team" came in.... The boxxer team was way more plush, better small bump performance and obviously way more adjustable,

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by yomattyo
    Yah, thats not a bad idea either. To be honest though, I'd like to stay away from anything too old as i plan on having this fork for another 2-4 years at least. Also, i'm not a HUGE fan of Marzocchi, i know they make good stuff (well did), but as a personal note kinda wanna keep it to Rock Shox or the Fox.

thanks for the input though!
    Sorry for the spam, and I have no idea if you are interested, but I have a 2008 Boxxer team that is in near new condition (with some spare parts, etc) that I would let go for a good price to someone local.....

Shoot me a PM if you have any interest.

mtbr member
    from what you are asking and the budget you have it really is screaming dd (dual crown domain)

with the steel stanchions it will be stronger then the race. more fatigue resistant.and since the dd is aimed at the weekend warrior/freerider and the boxxer is aimed at the racer it seems pretty obvious to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by [Orge
    ]
    This problem could quite simply be solved if people would stop buying Konas.

moaaar shimz
    Get a Boxxer Race and then save for a Avalanche cartridge. You can thank me later.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya
    Get a Boxxer Race and then save for a Avalanche cartridge. You can thank me later.
    I thanked myself...

X2 on this suggestion

I have the Avy cartridge in the 2010 Boxxer WC and it is SICK.......Best fork Ive ridden to date and between the 2 forks Id opt for the Boxxer theres a guy converting his to a WC for very little $ and doing a Avy cart all for under $1k... Something like $950 or so... Pick up a used 2010 boxxer race and he will have his upgrade post / review out shortly to the conversion.....
    My Sponsor House

"I dont make memories, I make History."
    CANFIELD - AVALANCHE SUSPENSION - SCHWALBE - TLD

mtbr member
    In case anyone was curious, I ended up picking up the boxxer from davep - Thanks for the hookup! gave me a great deal on it, just gotta grab the integrated stem as well then should have the bike back together, i'll post a pic or something when she's rollin' again. thanks for the input everyone!
    2009 Santa Cruz Nomad
    2008 Transition Blinside

Bikes are kewl.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyj
    I have to agree here. After riding the race and team back to back, i could see where the extra cost for the "team" came in.... The boxxer team was way more plush, better small bump performance and obviously way more adjustable,
    Mine was that way out of the box, but with some tweaking, it's awesome now. Changed all the oil - it was dry from factory, so new oil in the lowers, and new in the damper, 2.5 wt. With that oil, you gotta increase compression damping quite much - but that works surprisingly well (I think the floodgate/speedstack does more work that way).
    And the biggest trick (it's even described in some manual) - when putting it together, pump the air out of lowers (damper side). Just tighten the bottom nut with the fork compressed. If you don't do it, you effectively have an additional air spring - hence the harsh ride.