mtbr member
    Jan 2013

New Suspension for Ellsworth Rogue

As the title already says I have an Ellsworth Rogue frame at home and I want to build it up from scratch with a new fork and a new rear shock. As for the fork I'm leaning towards a Bos Idylle SC with 180mm travel. Regarding the rear shock I consider a Cane Creek Double Barrel, Fox DHX or Bos Stoy. The only thing is that I am pretty heavy at the moment (about 235 lbs incl. Equipment) what would you recommend???

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    i am a huge fan of bos. i have been running a ndee for 3 years now and it's been faultless. also have a deville on my hardtail been using that for just over 12 months.
    the deville has been great though when new had to go back after 1 ride as it was shipped from the factory with no oil in the airside leg.
    lucky for me at the time here in the uk we still had a bos distributor/ service centre so it was easily fixed and returned to me in days.
    now the only downside to bos ownership is the customer service, it's practically none existant. we in the uk now dont have a distributor anymore as r53 pulled out due to issues with bos themselves.
    everytime i have tried to email bos i get no reply, though one time i did get lucky and finally got a response 4 weeks after emailing them. and that was regarding service for the ndee. i was told it would have to be sent back to france.
    like i said they make fantastic products, but dont back them up, so unless you have a dealer/distributor/service center in your area or country then i wouldnt bother. unless you want the hassle of shipping back and forth to france everytime somthing goes wrong, thats of course assuming you get a reply off bos.

if you do have a dealer/distributor, before you buy have a good chat with them to see how they find dealing with bos. from what i hear for the first 12 months they are great to deal with, then after that it becomes impossible.
    like i said before they make great products that work fine. so as long as you know you can get the parts and serviceing then you wont be dissapointed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I will check if there is a good distributor or dealer over here in germany, but do you think the Bos Stoy can handle heavy drivers like me? The actual shock is 8.75 x 2.75 and I saw that Bos only has spring rates up to 500 lbs. Maybe this is a little bit to weak for my weight.
    But indeed I am also leaning towards Bos. The last few days I thought the Double Barrel is the right one, but as of now Bos stoy would be my fave.

Huffy Rider
    My hubby rides one of these and loves it. It should have come stock with a DHX, send it to Avy and have it customized. For a single crown, can't go wrong with a Totem, again send it to Avy to have it pimped. It is hard to beat suspension that is valved and set up for you. Keep in mind with a SC the HT angle won't be all that slack. We put a works headset in that slacks it 1 degree...nice! Just my 2 cents

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    to be totally honest i would have no idea regarding weight, so cant answer that question. i really like the doubble barrel. but have to admit it's way to technical for me.
    im pretty sure that bos have a dealer in germany. if not it isnt going to be to hard to send it back to france from germany,

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I also think that the Bos shock is a good choice because it is not as technical to set up as the double barrel.

@ motochick:

Do you know how much the head angle changes, when I take the shorter Idylle SC? Ellsworth recommended a fork with 180mm - 200mm. So I thought 180mm would be a good choice. When I think about your recommendation I see several options:

1 - just take the 180mm fork and don't care about the head angle

2 - take a shorter shock 8.5 x 2.5 and the 180mm fork so that the geometry stays the same but I would have only 180mm travel (which should be fine as well, as I want to use it as my allround bike and go uphill every now and then)

3 - take the 8.75 x 2.75 shock and a double crown fork with 200mm so that the geometry doesn't change (then the bike would be getting very heavy and be aimed to only go downhill, so it wouldn't be an enduro bike anymore)

Thanks about all the answers

Huffy Rider
    With the 2.75 shock and a 180 Totem, HA is 67...we got it down to 66 with the headset. With a 2.5 and a 180, I believe it is closer to 66, but still might want an angle headset. It depends on what you are building the bike for. We ride steep, techy trails with lots of tight, chunky turns, thus the SC choice and need for more slack. A 2.5 and DC would be tits! If I didn't already have the 2.75, I would have sought out the 2.5.

I have a CCDB on my ride and yes, it is a lot to set up. I would love to have a custom shock, but this is what my frame came with so I am making the most of it....meaning, learning how to set it up. Buy a cheap DHX in 2.5 and send it to Avalanche, same with a Totem, they will come back custom and totally dialed! With what you could buy those for used, plus the Avy work, you would be ahead of the game with nothing to worry about, ever!

BTW, these things don't pedal very well with a DH shock, no platform whatsoever. Hope this helps a little.....

Brenda

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thanks motochick,

I want to use it for All Mountain and Enduro rides.
    So it should also climb not too bad.

At the moment I think 2.5 rear shock with 180mm fork would be best, because with that setup you should be able to get uphill as well.

I never really was a fan of Rock Shox forks (at least not since the Mag21, which is about 20 years old :-) )

And shipping the fork and the shock to the US is also quite a hassle :-(

Slap happy crappiness
    Bahahaahaha, I read the title to this thread and thought "Holy shlt Elsworth finally got over this ICT crap!"
    Guess I jumped to conclusions....
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Huffy Rider
    Ya, for that riding that setup would be nice. I keep mentioning the Totem cuz it is burly! At your weight, those 40mm stanchions will help keep things nice and stiff. I run the DH cart solo air in mine, hubby has the older one in coil with the floodgate removed. They can be had cheap....I got mine for around $300 brand new. Post up when you get it all built up. Did you see the Rogue on the last page of the SC thread?

whatever she says gueuze.
    I'd go for a CCDB/ti coil (8.75x2.75) or even a CCDB air. Go air fork to save weight if you plan on using it for AM. I had a Rogue that I used for AM and honestly, since the rear is so active, it bobbed quite a bit during climbs. I used a Fox Float 180 up front and it worked perfectly for longer enduro rides and would swap it out for a Dorado for lift assisted stuff during the summer. Great all around plush frame for sure. I'm only 155 lbs though, so I built my Rogue up fairly light.