mtbr member
    Jan 2012

new specialized camber comp 12'

just picked up my new camber comp an am lovin it compared to my old trek 6000...

now plz correct me if im in the wrong forum but every time i search the bike it came up as more of a DH bike

an the reason for this post is just askin for advice on how to get faster..techniques, ways to get better etc

any help would greatly be appreciated!!! thanks guys!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I'm not sure where you are searching, but I wouldn't really consider the Camber to be a DH bike. At 120mm of travel it's more of a XC/AM bike.

As far as getting better...the best advice I can give is to just ride a lot and ride different trails. Also riding with people who are more experienced than you helps because you can see what they do and learn from them

usually cranky
    its a pretty solid trail bike. ime the best way to get faster is to ride with fast people. that way you can see where they brake and dont, what lines they choose, etc.

Moose Member
    nice bike, but definitely more XC/AM style.

+1 to riding with faster people. I met up with a friend at northstar who is tons faster than me. I tried my hardest to stay up with him mostly because i didn't want to embarrass myself too badly, But it forced me to let go of the brakes and plow through sections i normally wouldn't, and it made me so much faster. I improved more in the 2 hours I rode with that friend, then i would in a full day riding alone or with people my speed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Now excuse the dumb question but can the bike be unpgraded to be able to do DH ish stuff like whislter an other parks...cuz thats pretty much is to be able to run those types of trails

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Pretty much my goal/dream*

mtbr member
    Good starter bike. I was just looking at one of those for my son.

Just keep riding it as it is and keep trying steeper and more difficult trails as you progress and when you're ready you'll know, you know? Don't need a dedicated DH bike to try difficult things. (You'll just have to take things a bit slower, which is fine.) In fact your skills will progress just fine without it.

Still can't believe the things I rode down on my 3.8" rear suspension, 71 Deg HA XC/trail bike when I was getting started. Sketchy.... and I crashed a fair amount too, but I think I got better.

Then start saving for a more specific bike. In a year or two you'll be there.

Now with More Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmegt View Post
    Now excuse the dumb question but can the bike be unpgraded to be able to do DH ish stuff like whislter an other parks...cuz thats pretty much is to be able to run those types of trails
    No, not really. You could ride down some of the trails in the parks, but it would not be much fun at the end of the day. That bike was not made for park riding. But, the good news is, like KRob said, it's a good first bike to learn the basics on, and on smoother trails, it is plenty fast enough (well-sorted geometry, proven suspension platform). When you progress, you'll know what kind of bike you need to get next.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Aghh thanks i see!!! Guess its time to start hittin the trail an practice!