70mm Holzfeller stem with 5 degree rise mounted upside down
    ControlTech wide-ass bars
    Juicies 8"/6"
    Hone 170 cranks with the thicker spindle, 24/36/bash
    Black Thomson post
    Titec Pluto Ti saddle (light as hell!)
    X9 goodies, some low end Shimano front derailler/shifter
    WTB Dual Duty front wheel on a WTB 20mm hub
    EX321 Rim on a bastardized Formula 12mm hub (long story there, but I got it for free)
    2.3 Specialized Chunder 1-ply's and tubeless
    Time Z pedals

Simply put, IT RIPS. It tackles everything very very well. I haven't felt this at-home instantly on a new bike except my R9. I just need to throw some lower bars on it, play with the air pressure and compression on the fork, and solve the ridiculous ABS-like pulsing issue with the front Juicy 5 (any suggestions on those last two are welcome!).

This photo was taken before the drop-in to Dutch Flat trail in Lake Isabella, CA - a trail that truly caught me off guard in a couple spots. VERY worth doing if you like challenging. This bike has no idea what it's in for....

Mid-build

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    what POS, where are the complete pics, i wanna see a profile shot

Equal opportunity meanie
    I wanna see complete pics of your non-biking-related busted ankle you boner. I'll get one when I clean the inch thick layer of dust off of it.

Premium Member
    Holy crap that thing's dialed. I wanna swing a leg over that badboy sometime, maybe next time you're in the area I'll actually be able to ride...

mtbr member
    looks good.
    Quote Originally Posted by shredder111
    Can I paint your rockring, silly bun salad?

T.Dot Represent
    looks good man!

glad to see you got the shock you wanted for it!
    [SIZE=5]fiiiiiiiiiiiinchizzzzzzzzzzle[/SIZE]

Equal opportunity meanie
    Quote Originally Posted by Ojai Bicyclist
    Holy crap that thing's dialed. I wanna swing a leg over that badboy sometime, maybe next time you're in the area I'll actually be able to ride...
    Just needs a little tweaking so I can avoid 30mph somersaults. I will DEFINETELY be hitting up good ol' Gridley with this badboy soon. I'll let ya know.

Me hates pinchflat
    May I ask how much does the frame cost? It doesnt appear on their website...
    Quote Originally Posted by sriracha
    "jesus would huck it"
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    i have found the 1.5" headtubes to be slightly larger in diameter than 1 1/8", plus or minus

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Nice. Weight?

Equal opportunity meanie
    They don't make it anymore. I don't remember what retail was on it but I got a killer deal on the thing.

Weighs about 37 I believe. Climbs and pedals VERY well for a bike that heavy.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by DHidiot
    They don't make it anymore. I don't remember what retail was on it but I got a killer deal on the thing.

Weighs about 37 I believe. Climbs and pedals VERY well for a bike that heavy.
    37 is respectable for the build you have there. I've heard the same, that it climbs fairly well. Sinister in our list of mfg that we work with and has helped support our local Charlotte area freeride club, Bike PASA, very cool company.

mtbr member
    Nice Splinter , baby is dialed!

We've got something new up our sleeves to fill the Splinters spot in the lineup. Should start seeing them soon.

~Bruce
    www.Sinisterbikes.com
    bruce@sinisterbikes.com

Equal opportunity meanie
    Thanks Bruce! Big thanks to the Sinister crew btw for helping me get this thing dialed with a few little clearance issues. These guys absolutely rock! How nice of you to tell me you have a sick replacement coming out soon right as I get this thing finished haha.

I'm hoping to drop a little weight by swapping out the stem/bars to some new Sunline goodies...I get randy for low bar heights. That 75mm Holzfeller stem is an absolute boat anchor as well. Having a light air front fork and a tubeless 1py front wheel with that thing up top feels weiiiird.

Old No. 7
    Nice build. Keeping it in the Sinister family. Here's a sneak peek of my new rig...
    EDIT.... OPPS, hold on.
    Edit no 2. Ok, this should work.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by fred.r; 05-21-2007 at 02:03 PM.
    06 888 RC2X FOR SALE! PM FOR DETAILS

...the mustache has spoken

= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005
    i said it before, and i'll say it again..

that bike is tits Gordon.. love all that black!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    yo gordon, when you pick up the sunline goodies let me get the holzfeller back from ya. the 90mm on the bullit is wayyyyy to long

Thunder Chunky
    sweet build...me likey...about the brake, did u glaze it over or something? or get some kind of liquid in there during the build?
    Purple Popcorn

Stray Bullet
    What are you using for the tubeless set up? Stan's kit or Maxxis rim strips with Stan's goo?

Equal opportunity meanie
    I'm using the ghetto setup with a filet-ed BMX tube and Stan's goo. I'm still not 100% sure about them as I burped them pretty bad yesterday (which was entirely my fault). These particular tires seem to have some microscopic holes in them to begin with too that took a few good air fills to plug. I will probably end up re-doing the whole setup as I neglected to put a rim strip or tape beteen the eyelets and the BMX tube in one wheel and might not have put enough sealant in the other one, but it'd be sweet if I could get the current setup to cure right and hold air like it's supposed to.

Madman - what are you referring to about the brake? Is there something on the rotor I'm not seeing?

Meh.
    The pulsing... Make sure the caliper is true to the rotor and not grabbing at the "arms." And make sure that the pads are not unevenly worn.

Sick bike for sure.

Equal opportunity meanie
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    The pulsing... Make sure the caliper is true to the rotor and not grabbing at the "arms." And make sure that the pads are not unevenly worn.

Sick bike for sure.
    They were hittinig the arms before - I JUST spaced them out correctly with some washers and the stupid things still pulse. The pads are fairly new and worn evenly as well. Oh well, Avid better do something about this stupid rotor. I'm going to measure the rotor thickness in the problem area vs the rest of the rotor in a little bit.

Meh.
    Since you rode on them while it was hitting the arms, it's likely that the pads have already worn unevenly. Resurface by sanding in a figure 8, if that doesn't solve the problem, bevel the edges a little bit.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Since you rode on them while it was hitting the arms, it's likely that the pads have already worn unevenly. Resurface by sanding in a figure 8, if that doesn't solve the problem, bevel the edges a little bit.
    Thats some interesting tecnoligy, sounds almost vintage.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot