Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member

I like Avid bleed steps for Shimano brakes...

I used my Avid syringes on a set of M988s for my trail bike...
    Has some extra attachments from a Reverb bleed kit so I clipped the brass nipple off the end of one syringe attachment and used an old Hayes bleed nipple spring to attach the syringe on to the caliper bleed nipple. Using the Avid bleed method....pull a vacuum at the caliper w/ the lever closed to pull out all the air and degassed the fluid from the line and caliper. Then closed the caliper bleed nipple (but leave the syringe attached) after pushing in as much fluid as the syringe/system will allow. Then I pulled a vacuum on the lever to get the MC's air bubbles out and also pushed as much fluid into the system as allowed before buttoning up the MC/lever. Deviated from the Avid steps here...opened the caliper and fine tuned the bite point/feel at the lever to match the front w/ rear. This step took a bit of fussing, but I managed to get the lever to feel identical to my '11 Codes (both the Codes and M988s are on Goodridge lines).

Next project is to pair a M820 4-pots caliper to the M988's MC for the front end of that trail bike This might be a pretty interesting setup for those lighter and/or weight conscious DH riders...?
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by PeytonP View Post
    Finally, my buddy bled my brake with his new Shimano PRO bleed kit. Before, we had just been using syringe setups. This one had a cup/funnel that screws into the lever. We filled it up and pumped it with the rotor and then again ever so slightly without the rotor. I screwed the bite adjust all the way in and out again to ensure every possible bit of oil could fill. Now, the bite point is right where I wanted it and I'm experiencing the power I had expected. No more pulling the lever into my fingers.
    My local trails aren't that long. So, I can't offer anything regarding feel on longer downhills.

If you don't have the Shimano PRO bleed kit with the screw-on funnel, get it. It's so much easier than syringes and it ensures every last bit of air is out of the line.

Not to bring up an old thread, but I had a few questions.

- Did you actually bleed the brakes?
    - Did you just attach the funnel, then squeeze the handle to let more fluid in?
    Last edited by chris.george; 06-03-2013 at 07:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Zombie thread resurrection...
    Hey, has anyone noticed the 820's pads rattling around in the caliper making all sorts of racket when your bike is plowing over chunder? I'm getting a lot of this...wondering if I just need to flair out the pad spring?
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Zombie thread resurrection...
    Hey, has anyone noticed the 820's pads rattling around in the caliper making all sorts of racket when your bike is plowing over chunder? I'm getting a lot of this...wondering if I just need to flair out the pad spring?
    havnt experianced it, buthave heard of it on shimano brakes,,, there was a vid on youtube about it, where some guy cut a small piece of innertube to make a rubber band to put round the pads to stop them doing it,

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    found it here, not sure if this is what you mean or this will help.... but here you go

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by delirian View Post
    found it here, not sure if this is what you mean or this will help.... but here you go
    Hey thanks! I'll give that a go. Not sure if it's the radiators rattling on the caliper body, but can't hurt to try
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I put a dab of disc brake quiet on the back of the pads.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Hey thanks! I'll give that a go. Not sure if it's the radiators rattling on the caliper body, but can't hurt to try
    yep...
    or like the other guy said,,,, a little dab of copperslip on the back of the pad like they do on car brakes, this usually stops them rattling.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KU_MechE View Post
    I put a dab of disc brake quiet on the back of the pads.
    Gotcha. And, I think I saw my local Checkers had small blister packs of the stuff at the counter... Thanks!
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Found this today. Not sure if it will help the issue but it is worth a try. Just got my replacment m820 set and will try this out. My Saints were leaking at caliper and one at the lever...also got really spongy.

http://bike.shimano.com/publish/cont...Pro%20Tune.pdf

mtbr member
    It's about time for an update! I had my original lever replaced because, apparently, there was a faulty seal. It eventually started spraying fluid on my hands after a normal bleed. Shimano quickly replaced the lever and lever sensitivity and power is what I had expected all along. Though I'd still lean toward Avid (for the adjustability) on future trail bikes, the Saint gets the respect it deserved now that it's running as it should. I've had no problems at all since the replacement.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    hi i have a giant stp 2, and my crank arm bolt fell out i lost it, does anyone know where i can get one from looked everywhere

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2