FM
    luxatio erecta

New question here. Specialized Lo-pro mag 2 flat pedals, WTF?

(x-post to specialized board)
    I own some specialized lo-pro mag 2 pedals, I've got less than a year of occasional use on them and I love the feel and shape of them....A while back they started getting sloppy. I pulled them apart and stuffed grease inside once or twice, but now they are really in need of new guts.

So I called specialized and looked on their web store, no small parts for these pedals. The guy I spoke with when I called specialized said "They just use normal bearings, pull them apart and you should be able to buy them at any hardware store that sells bearings".

"great, do you know what size?" "No, sorry".

Okay, so now I pull the pedals apart and take a closer look. The pedal spins on a single bearing on each side, they are both in fine shape. The pedal itself (and all rider weight) rests on pressed in DU bushings, which are where the slop is coming from. Looks like 2 per pedal.

Has anybody successfully rebuilt these pedals?

I am pretty disapointed with specialized support on these, considering they retail for $79.95.

Now with flavor!!
    That place has got to have like 50 operators.

Keep calling back till you get someone with a voice that doesn't sound like 'duh' and see if you can get those du bushings.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    That place has got to have like 50 operators.

Keep calling back till you get someone with a voice that doesn't sound like 'duh' and see if you can get those du bushings.
    More info...
    Looked at the website and it's obvious I actually have the original lo-pro mags...no inboard bearings like shown below. The weird thing is, they came in a "Lo pro mag 2" box, and I was told they were the newer design by my LBS.

I called specialized again and got somebody a bit more helpful. Dude's going to call me back to let me know what my options are.

I'm not expecting a free pair of new pedals, but I do think a credit towards a new pair would be fair.

Deadhead
    Mar 2004
    I went through a set of first generation lo-pros and two sets of lo-pro 2s in less than a season. All three sets were warrantied by my LBS, but as much as I loved the way they felt, I had to go to something more reliable. All three sets had the same problem; the platform just separated from the axle. The funny part about the whole thing is the first set lasted longer than either of the lo-pro 2s.
    "If you can get both wheels sliding with no brakes, that's when you really know that you're cookin." Nathan Rennie

mtbr member
    take the bearings off and go to a bearing supply place. the serial number on the bearing can be used to get the right bearing. the number is coded to show all dimesions of the bearing to get a good match.

PULL
    Quote Originally Posted by shakedown94
    take the bearings off and go to a bearing supply place. the serial number on the bearing can be used to get the right bearing. the number is coded to show all dimesions of the bearing to get a good match.
    was going to say the same thing

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by shakedown94
    Quote Originally Posted by NoManerz
    was going to say the same thing

no dice, I already tried that:

Quote Originally Posted by FM
    The pedal spins on a single bearing on each side, they are both in fine shape. The pedal itself (and all rider weight) rests on pressed in DU bushings, which are where the slop is coming from. Looks like 2 per pedal.

Class Clown

Welcome back 2007!

I am having the same issue with Lo Pro Mag 2. After 4 years of use the right pedal has some lateral play, enough to notice while pedaling .

Guess next step is to contact Spesh and see if they have a solution. Haven't been able to find anything about replacement parts.

Stand back
    I'll be watching this thread to see if anyone chimes in with a source for the bushings. I like my lo pro mags (no idea which gen they are) but the slop is annoying.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

Class Clown
    didn't even see that this was in the downhill forum. the slop has just begun for me but I already can't stand it.