bike rider

New Fox DU Replacements

The new Fox polymer reducer and bushing system is supposed to be the sht, lower friction and longer life than the old standard DU and steel or aluminum reducers. Can they be used on a Rockshox Vivid? The lower pivot on my V10's Vivid Air has a lot of rotation so when its DU wears out I'd like to try something with less drag but the needle bearings seem like they'd have too much play on such a high leverage design.
    Keep the Country country.

Slap happy crappiness
    Not going to say for sure if it'll work or not, but all major shock manufactures use the same DU size with only Cane Creek being the exception. Take that for what it's worth, but to be sure I'd call Fox and get the dimensions, and compare them to whatever SRAM's are.
    I'd be inclined to say they'll work though, as long as you order the right reducer hardware for your bike.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

mtbr member
    Push says that Fox and RS are very slightly different in size. YMMV.
    "It looks flexy"

Committed
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    The new Fox polymer reducer and bushing system is supposed to be the sht, lower friction and longer life than the old standard DU and steel or aluminum reducers. Can they be used on a Rockshox Vivid? The lower pivot on my V10's Vivid Air has a lot of rotation so when its DU wears out I'd like to try something with less drag but the needle bearings seem like they'd have too much play on such a high leverage design.
    The polymer shock bushings I have used wore out very quickly, and if mud was involved they went silly fast. The sales pitch was the same as what you are reporting above: lower friction and longer life.

Sounds like a good idea, but I'll believe the durability part when I see it.
    So far I have found three part reducer hardware to be the best bet for extending bushing life.
    The needle bearing system has worked really well for me, and has been durable enough to last a few years before bearing replacment is required.

mtbr member
    I've been running the fox bushing on my db air. I took a fine file and filed them until they fit the db air. So far so good. I've got a couple months on them and the are still tight. It's on my trail bike and it usually blows through a lower du bushing in about a month. I'd say they do last longer and are a little smoother than standard bushings. I ran needle bearings on a prior fox and while I don't feel the fox bushings are quite as smooth as the needle bearings they are somewhere in between. They are tighter than the needles and leave no play at all where the needles always had a slight amount of play, even though the play wasn't noticeable when riding. The nice thing about the fox I with a little patience and a file they can fit,even if the vivid bushing is a little smaller.

mtbr member
    I saw this thread last week and was interested to see if Fox's new style bushings would work on other shocks, too. I grabbed a pair from work and they fit my Rockshox Monarch RC3 Plus perfectly. No issues whatsoever.

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan1104 View Post
    I saw this thread last week and was interested to see if Fox's new style bushings would work on other shocks, too. I grabbed a pair from work and they fit my Rockshox Monarch RC3 Plus perfectly. No issues whatsoever.
    Awesome, thanks.
    Keep the Country country.

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by 1soulrider View Post
    The polymer shock bushings I have used wore out very quickly, and if mud was involved they went silly fast. The sales pitch was the same as what you are reporting above: lower friction and longer life.
    unequivocally better and more durable on my 2012 Nomad with Rc4 shock. That thing ate DU bushings. Less stiction, more durable and easier to replace.