Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

New Englander's review of 3 Colorado DH resorts

Spent the week of the 4th out in Colorado riding Winter Park, Copper and Keystone. Winter Park and Keystone are more DH bike resorts with tons of trails while Copper only has a couple of trails but if you like fast and flowy trails and no crowds then Redtail at Copper is a lot of fun. It's also only $15 to ride the full day at Copper, can't beat that price.

Winter Park is good but the condition of the trails didn't seem great. Tons of braking bumps entering the berms and the tabletops need some attention. We were there on the 4th so it was definitely the most crowded. Only found one terribly challenging trail, Trestle Downhill which is a double black but nothing crazy if you've ridden places like Sunday River or Bromont back east. Amazing fleet of rental equipment at WP, if I were to go again I wouldn't bother shipping my own bike.

Keystone was a blast. Not sure how to describe it but a mix of traditional back east stuff (not Highland) with some crazy bridges like Whistler has including the corkscrew. Sections of High Speed Dirt and Jam Rock remind me of the ridiculously steep sections of some of the older Sunday River trails and Bromont trails and even the old Mt Snow Yardsale (minus the volkswagon sized boulders). Best of all is that the elevation has got to be double what you get at places like Bromont and Sunday River. Runs are long and there's a lot of options too. The trails are not built up with berms and tabletops as much as places like Winter Park, Whistler and Highland but they're just fun. I highly recommend this stop.

Would have liked to make Sol Vista but didn't fit it in. Great trip

MC MasterShake
    Thanks for the info. As a fellow NE'r I always wonder what those places are like. How far apart are those resorts? We're going to Moab later this year and might try and hit one of those places up on our way.

Shred...it's the new drug
    Winter park and keystone are about an hour away from eachother...coppers another 20 minutes further than keystone

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    thnx for the report from a NE...yeah should've went to sol vista . not big mnt. but a fun one...I also likes keystone ovewr wp.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyak View Post
    Thanks for the info. As a fellow NE'r I always wonder what those places are like. How far apart are those resorts? We're going to Moab later this year and might try and hit one of those places up on our way.
    worth it to travel.....
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks so much for the post. I'm headed to Winter Park in August. I'll make sure to take a trip over to Keystone.

mtbr member
    I used to work at copper there are some local trails that are fun but if your in that area I would skip copper and ride keystone an extra day
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To stay balanced, one must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Don't Miss Solvista!!!

Bummer you didn't make it....Solvista is a blend of Keystone and Winter park. Home to many of the Colorado DH race teams, it's fast,filled with rocks and has some of the best berm trails in Colorado. A must for anyone making the trip.

I'm with stupid
    I hate to say it but you REALLY missed out by not driving 25 mins past winterpark to Sol Vista. You can make a ton of runs in a day really nailing lines and practicing things. Big jumps and drops and rocks. I go to all of them threw out the year and solvista is my i want to scare myself and practice DH race style trails. Smaller mountain but not to be over looked.

Living the High Life
    If you can find some one local to show you around Vail has some great stuff.

Greg Minaar at Vail in 2005, yeah its older and there are no big jumps but its great techy single track with some jumps/berms. If you're more old school it is not to be missed.

Oh and the DJ looking stuff is in Summit County.

You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Does that DJ spot in summit county still exist? I haven't been back up in there since '99?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    got any recommendations/tips for riding Keystone and/or Sol Vista. Heading out there next mo
    thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu View Post

Greg Minaar at Vail in 2005, yeah its older and there are no big jumps but its great techy single track with some jumps/berms. If you're more old school it is not to be missed.

any details on Vail? Looking to ride strictly DH... thanks!

mtbr member
    Interestingly, Vail is building a new trail. I was on the gondola on Monday and a mini bulldozer was cutting in a new trail right under the gondy. Not really sure yet what they are trying to do with it.

Airborne Flight Crew
    +1

Did a Vail/Kestone last summer. Keystone was everything one would expect a bike park to be; lots of lines, cool jump section, some steeps, some rocks, drops, bridges...

Vail was keen surprise. As noted, maybe a bit old school, but the trails are every bit as fun as Keystone, just different.

Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu View Post

Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    thanks! maybe we'll check it out if there's time. cool

mtbr member
    Bad video forgot to turn the go pro back to upside down mode and it was the other peoples 1st time ridding DH so not the quickest ridding but had fun. They had 01 and the 94 WC DH closed. I still like to hit it a few times a year.

Untitled from Joe Barnas on Vimeo.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    anyone have any recent pics/vid of sol vista or vail they'd like to share online?

mtbr member
    Just one of vail Bailey's Bailout

I'm with stupid
    Sol Vista a month ago

Untitled from HiTechRedNeck on Vimeo.

Oh no you di'int
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MBX5 View Post
    Just one of vail Bailey's Bailout
    That drop is one of the scariest things I've done on a bike. The turn right before the drop doesn't help the nerves!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by knumbskull View Post
    That drop is one of the scariest things I've done on a bike. The turn right before the drop doesn't help the nerves!
    awesome shot! thx!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    Sol Vista a month ago

Untitled from HiTechRedNeck on Vimeo.

wow! killer! thx! gotta get there...

Oh no you di'int
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuttle-Run View Post
    awesome shot! thx!
    Don't thank me, the only evidence I have of my drop is a crumby cell phone pic looking back up after I dropped it. That pic is MBX5's.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by knumbskull View Post
    Sweet pic of Bailey's. That spot was the talk of the town back in the early 90s when we used to try to kill ourselves high-posting it on terrifying Manitou 2 and RS Mag 21 suspension forks. 22" barz!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast