mtbr member
    May 2013

New to downhill! Questions about bikes and suspension etc....

Hey guys, I'm sure there have been a million posts like this before but anyways.... . I am 15 and have been looking at used downhill/free ride mountain bikes. After hours of scathing the internet I found a 2004 Giant ac1. It is the only bike I could find with decent suspension and a low enough price. My question to you though is would it be worth buying? Is 130mm of travel going to be enough for purely downhill/free ride applications, or should I save up my money for something nicer. Its reviews seemed good, but those were back in 2005ish so maybe technology has changed?

Here is the craigslist add
    Giant AC1 Downhill Mountain Bike 17" frame

Thanks,
    Josh

Quiet Professional

Re: New to downhill! Questions about bikes and suspension etc....

Giant ac was my first real bike. Where do you get it only has 130mm of travel? It has adjustable travel from 5.5 to 6.5 on the rear. Thats 140 to 165mm of travel. In its days it was a very capable bike and handled everything i could throw at it. My concern is how old it is and wonder how it was ridden in the past as well as how was it serviced. Even if frame is perfect the bushings probably need replacing and shocks serviced. It is more all mountain than dh as today standards are, but where are you planing on riding it?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Ahhh my bad I didnt specify, it says the fork is 130mm.
    "Fork Brand & Model Answer Manitou Sherman Slider SPV, 130mm travel"
    Is it adjustable and 130mm is the shortest maybe? I obviously don't know too much about technical features etc. . Also I plan on riding it at my local bike parks. Mountain Creek, Blue Mountain, and Spring Mountain. I did go into the shop to check it out in person, and nothing looks broken on it, the shop owner said he would even fix the brakes for free. So my only concern would be the fact that it is older, but I think it is practically impossible to find anything under $800 that isn't old. It just needs to be enough to get me through a season or two before I can save up enough money for something nicer.

Thanks for the fast reply by the way!

Quiet Professional

How much experience do you have riding?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I wen't out yesterday for my first time! I do bmx race as well, but not seriously at all.

Quiet Professional

Well bmx and mtb downhill are quite different, especially with a full squishy. I sugest getting an am style bike and building basic mtb skills before going full on downhill. As long as the frame is in great condition and parts were serviced the ac would do you well. But with a bike that old i would still be concerned.i do have friends riding bikes from 2005 and 2006 and not having any issues, but they were maintained well. Ask about the bearings and shock services. Double check the bike over with a fine tooth comb and magnifying glass lol. Then if everything checks out test ride the bike and make sure it fits well and feels good. Check shifting and listen to any creaks coming from frame or bushings. Jump up and and make sure suspension is working flawlessly. If everything checks out buy the bike and start riding trails and learn fundamentals of mtb riding.