mtbr member
    Apr 2014

new to DH and need bike setup advice

Just ordered a new DH bike, just curious about setup. I'm a XC guy so I am a bit clueless on sag, tire pressure, tubes or not, and anything else I wouldn't think of. Some poking around seems to indicate 30% rear, 20% front, 35-40psi and tubes.

Bike is the new Kona Operator, I bought the cheapest one.
    I like bikes

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by yzedf View Post
    Just ordered a new DH bike, just curious about setup. I'm a XC guy so I am a bit clueless on sag, tire pressure, tubes or not, and anything else I wouldn't think of. Some poking around seems to indicate 30% rear, 20% front, 35-40psi and tubes.

Depends on what the vendor says for the suspension but you won't know until you ride to tune it.

For mine, I go with more sag and no compression enabled in the rear and maybe one click of compression on the fork. Don't make the rebound too fast or you can get shot off the bike. Make sure your suspension is even front and rear.

With tubes you need higher pressure to not pinch flat. Without tubes you can run less.

You'll need to check your bolts after each ride. Things get looser faster on DH riding than the xc.

I run tubeless but like xc it's up to you.
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF, Colorado Front Range
    Writer, MTB4Her.

My arm hurts a little
    Quote Originally Posted by yzedf View Post

Yah you are about right on sag. Maybe less up front.

Tubes ditch them go tubeless first ride.

Tire pressure is a lot of factors. Mostly the dirt wet/dry and how much rock is on the trail etc.

But I usually start around 30 and just feel the trail. Little front wheel push I take some out till it feels good, same with the rear.

That's a good 1st Dh bike though you'll like it!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Thanks for the answers. I'll give tubeless a shot, I should have enough Stan's tape to do at least one rim. New England so there is always rocks, it's more a matter of how many and how fast of a section it is. I'll just do some laps with my digital gauge and tune it in 1psi at a time same as the XC bike.

Hopefully I love this bike and I can ride it for several years. Easier to have more bikes that way than explaining to the wife why I need a different same class bike.
    I like bikes

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I'm a fan of tubeless, but I'm 240lb. Never have any pinch flat problems any more and minimal wheelset problems . I never run more than 35lb, and that's usually max if there's pointy rocks. Less for smoother/softer trails. Sag should be around 30-35% both front and rear, but set it in attack position and not sitting on the seat if you can. Depending on which shock comes on there, double check the spring weight that comes on the bike if it's a coil. Also good tires. Can't go wrong with Maxxis Minion Dual Ply casing.

Glad to Be Alive
    i am 210 and run 22-24 up front and 24 to 26 rear....looking for grip on 27.5's
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS View Post
    i am 210 and run 22-24 up front and 24 to 26 rear....looking for grip on 27.5's
    You don't worry about busting a rim at that psi? I ran 25psi front and rear at 185 and I'm thinking I can go to 23 easily. Just concerned about destroying rims.
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF, Colorado Front Range
    Writer, MTB4Her.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Tire is a preference thing, also it depends alot on what trails you are riding, Eastcoast rocks vs westcoast would be different. also 30-35% fork sag is way too much, besides the negative effects on the bikes geometry, its guaranteed to feel scary if the trail ever gets fast, rough or steep.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ringoesroadking View Post
    Tire is a preference thing, also it depends alot on what trails you are riding, Eastcoast rocks vs westcoast would be different. also 30-35% fork sag is way too much, besides the negative effects on the bikes geometry, its guaranteed to feel scary if the trail ever gets fast, rough or steep.
    East coast roots and rocks. Roughly 20% sag which is good geo as you suggested, but harsh and my hands hurt at the end of the day.
    I like bikes