mtbr member
    Oct 2004

New Chest Protector and Shins

Which are the best? While ventilation is an important factor, protection and mobility are the most important factors. I have a Fox (don't know the model) chest protector, and older 661 knee/shin combinations.
    Do you guys ride with lower spine and neck protectors?
    Let's all start a mrsalty is a whiny biatch thread...

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I love my Rockgardn Flak Jacket (2008), but since it's the only one I've worn, I can't compare it to anything. It does have the back plate on it, and is removable when you are wearing a pack.
    I only wear it when I'm trying something new and with a huge pucker factor.
    Jump it onto something off of something or over something.

There's more to freeriding than dirt jumps.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I've ridden with the RG FlakJacket for 3 years.

Just switched to a POC VPD tee. The POC is so much more comfortable to wear than the FlakJacket. The chest protector feels like it's custom molded to your chest. The FJ feels like I was wearing a giant box on my chest. Not to mention, it will sand your nipples off in a couple of runs if you don't wear something underneath it. So if you wear a jersey over your protection, you're talking about 3 layers...in the summer.

If fit, breathability, and mobility are high on your list, look at the POC.
    If you value square footage of coverage and the "feel" of invincibility, check out the Flak Jacket. Just be prepared to sweat.

I've also tried on the SixSixOne pressure suit pro, and it's the oddest piece of clothing/protection I've seen. It's a stinkin' half shirt! It should say "Wildwood, New Jersey" on it. Hotter to wear than the other 2 mentioned, bulky and loose in some areas, tight and hot in others.

Take Chances
    I picked up the new troy lee design and it fits really well. The jacket uses a large hole mesh that breathes wells. Rear spine protector and shoulder pads fit well as well. I don't like the long sleeve with integrated elbow pads but they worked the two times I went down, so I am planning to leave them alone.
    Cadmanrjm

Petty and weak
    I use Dainese which works well all-round. I've had some bad experiences with centre-zipped chest armour, I recommend side-zipper armour (try copping a rock to the chest when there's a zip running up the middle of your armour).
    ~ Downride and Freehill, nothing else ~

Glad to Be Alive
    everybody will have different opinions because each body is different and people have different needs in what they think is important. Where what you feel offers the most protection that is the most ventilation and comfort

I ride with a spine protector and will start riding with a leatt neck brace in 2 weeks
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I was riding with just a FF, knee/shin, elbow (sometimes), and of course gloves, but recently picked up a Leatt and a 661 Core Saver that would work with it effectively. All of my other gear is Fox, Launch knee/shin and elbows, Rampage FF, and 360 gloves.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Leatt... How much are those things?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker0755
    Leatt... How much are those things?
    http://www.leatt-brace.com/index.php?page_id=34

worth every penny.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Holy crap!!! Those Leatt Braces are expensive! I'm sure they're worth it, but they're a bit more expensive than I was thinking!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Watch ebay. I just recently bought a GPX Sport, the more expensive carbon fiber version, that had been used like two times, for $350. Yes, that's still expensive, but a ton cheaper than retail. I've seen two other Sports go for between $325 and $350 recently, and Clubs for around $250. Definitely worth the $$$.

mtbr member
    Worth the money for sure.

Wheelchair vs. injuries that can usually heal

biking is fun
    dainesse armor is by far the most mobile and coolest i have worn. the armor articulates so it makes it very flexible. the only downside is how crazy expensive it is.

for legs the dainese's are also awesome and you could also check out the fox launch knee/shin. i have had mine for 2 seasons now and love them. the only downside to them is they will rub your knees a little if you pedal uphill with them or after a good 7 hour day at the resort.

the next piece of equipment im going to invest in is some good hip pads. have had to crashes this year that messed up my hip. one put me out for a month. seems like such a stupid place to hit but somehow it do. nothing hurts like full speed ladder banked corner in the wet where your tires slip and all your weight and momentum slams your hip into the topside of the wood corner. right on the edge of it. that was midway down my first DH race run ever too. not a good start to the sport.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker0755
    Holy crap!!! Those Leatt Braces are expensive! I'm sure they're worth it, but they're a bit more expensive than I was thinking!

You would be surprised at what a quality wheelchair costs.