e.f.f.e.c.t smoothoperatr

New to 5th Element CVT5- Tuning

i just got a new rig that has a 5th element cvt5 on it and needs to be tuned to my weight and riding style
    i do mainly freeriding, need to be pedaling some up hills ( platform?) i like the feeling of lots of sag but still good pedaling oviously.. idk, some weird fedish of how i like the sag. i weight 140 pounds

can someone paste a pic of what dials i should be fiddling with ( manual on what knob does what)

and can someone perhaps tell me ( with all the knobs screwed in all the way) how many turns out i should turn the specific knob for the riding style and weight that i said above.

if you can understand my grammer.. much help would be appreciated
    gracia

Buckle Up
    Quote Originally Posted by themarsvolta55
    i just got a new rig that has a 5th element cvt5 on it and needs to be tuned to my weight and riding style
    i do mainly freeriding, need to be pedaling some up hills ( platform?) i like the feeling of lots of sag but still good pedaling oviously.. idk, some weird fedish of how i like the sag. i weight 140 pounds

can someone paste a pic of what dials i should be fiddling with ( manual on what knob does what)

and can someone perhaps tell me ( with all the knobs screwed in all the way) how many turns out i should turn the specific knob for the riding style and weight that i said above.

if you can understand my grammer.. much help would be appreciated
    gracia
    There is a reason that the shock comes with a manual, and it's actually quite informative. If it didn't come with the bike you can view it at Progressive's site. Without knowing what bike you ride, it would be pointless to recommend anything.
    <><

Buckle Up
    Quote Originally Posted by coma13
    platform = not a lot of sag.

a lot of sag = not good pedalling.

nuh uh.
    Actually the platform has nothing to do with the amount of sag. Sag is determined by the spring weight first and foremost, and the platform is determined by the air pressure in the shock.
    <><

notabouttoseeyourlight

nuh uh.

Riding with...
    2 words
    owners manual.
    if u dont have it, and its brand new, i found mine to have the adjustments not do much at all when i first go it, so i just set the air pressure, (ur gonna want about 50-70, experiment) with the air volume (blue bolt right behind the air thing) use a rachet or rench and put that out to the left most of the way, or in, play with that too. then set ur preload/sag how u want it. then go ride it around for a while, and leave the begging and end stroke alone, as they never did anything when mine was brand new and are JUST starting to kick in. hit some drops, go fast and hit things, do this for like a week. it should say on it which screw does what,(the blew ones) (my bikes in shop, im going by memory) so u can play with those too. but remember to set the air/air volume first, tthen preload. i also found that the rebound is working fully now and its alot more bouncy. when i first got mine it didnt feel bouncy with it set fully "bouncy", but now it really moves. then u can play with that more.
    i hope that helps anything..it just takes time to brake in. if its used...forget what i said.

Kevin,
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarekith
    Isn't the proper etiquette on this forum to wait until he posts a picture of himself dropping it, and then spend 70 posts arguing about how big it is? I mean, let's not jump the gun, without a pic of his bike in the air, we can't have photoshopped triagulations and geometrical equations showing why it's really 2 feet and not 22 feet.
    "Quick, pass the bike up again so i can hit it before it starts to hurt!!"

AIM: Haroracer842

Riding with...
    Quote Originally Posted by coma13

nuh uh.
    i have mine set about 30-35 percent sag, and i get perfect pedaling with like no bob on my single pivot...does that make any diff?
    Isn't the proper etiquette on this forum to wait until he posts a picture of himself dropping it, and then spend 70 posts arguing about how big it is? I mean, let's not jump the gun, without a pic of his bike in the air, we can't have photoshopped triagulations and geometrical equations showing why it's really 2 feet and not 22 feet.

i have a 2003 sgs pro

notabouttoseeyourlight
    I Stand Corrected!

made in Oregon
    Wow this thread has bad grammar! And some bad advice! Read the manual or go here http://www.tftunedshox.com/progressive/index.htm
    Nathan
    WTB: Mountain Cycle 9.5 frame, size Med
    Goldtooth
    Custom Bashguards
    www.goldtoothmafia.com

Riding with...
    it worked for me, and now its great. why wouldnt it work for him? critizing advice...pretty low.

made in Oregon
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinM[Freerider]
    it worked for me, and now its great. why wouldnt it work for him? critizing advice...pretty low.
    How is critizing bad advice low? It may have worked for you but doesn't mean it is the correct way to do it. Don't get all defensive, it is only the internet
    Nathan
    WTB: Mountain Cycle 9.5 frame, size Med
    Goldtooth
    Custom Bashguards
    www.goldtoothmafia.com

wheeeee!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by themarsvolta55
    i have a 2003 sgs pro
    Me too, go to the iron horse forum and ask ska todd to send you the tuning tips from the factory team. I run my shock that way and it's been flawless.

or better yet search for an old post about it on that board.

Quote Originally Posted by butocabra
    Me too, go to the iron horse forum and ask ska todd to send you the tuning tips from the factory team. I run my shock that way and it's been flawless.

or better yet search for an old post about it on that board.

thanks for the answer butocabra

Riding with...
    Quote Originally Posted by butocabra
    I run my shock that way and it's been flawless.
    oh, i bet his way is probably bad advice and is wrong also right?

wheeeee!!!
    First off KevinM, why so hostile?

Second, unless you've got the actual model of frame, your advice isn't that sound. The 5th element was used in a lot of designs, and setup can be pretty model specific, particularly with regard to air pressure.