FM
    luxatio erecta

Nelson / Retallack trails

Scheming up a family/riding trip for nest summer.... thinking Nelson> Revelstoke> Kelowna

Looking for some information on the riding in Nelson- how burly is it?
    Full-face / DH bike territory?....
    Or similar to Squamish/Whistler/Pemerbton XC? (i.e. challenging, but doable on an AM hardtail)

TIA!

-FM

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I live near Nelson... burly, DH? Why yes of course... four riders from the last Redbull Rampage are from Nelson...... Kurt Sorge, Garrett Buehler, Mike Kinrade and Robbie Bourdon.... that right there speaks volumes..

P.S. Feel free to PM me if you ever make it down here.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I would like info too

humber river advocate
    the trails around the okanogan are awesome, some are as crazy as you want to get. a tip is to hit up the local bike shops and buy a trail map (kelowna, penticton, etc). the money goes to help maintain the trails. you can also find someone to shuttle you for a negotiated price on some of the higher runs.
    an all mountain rig is fine, unless you want to hit some of the big features.
    Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Thanks...I've ridden Kelowna & Penticton previously- Have relatives in the area.

I'm wondering specifically about Nelson.... basically, if it's all shuttle runs for FF/big bike/big air trails? that's not really what I'm looking for...... I'm looking for long tech descents, but stuff I could ride solo on a AM bike with an XC lid (hence my Squamish/Whistler XC/Pemberton reference)

thinking 10 days to hit Nelson, Revelstoke & Kelowna. Probably ride 4 days or so and spend the rest with family.
    Last edited by FM; 01-10-2013 at 08:13 AM.

Gnarly
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    Thanks...I've ridden Kelowna & Penticton previously- Have relatives in the area.

I'm wondering specifically about Nelson.... basically, if it's all shuttle runs for FF/big bike/big air trails? that's not really what I'm looking for...... I'm looking for long tech descents, but stuff I could ride solo on a AM bike with an XC lid (hence my Squamish/Whistler XC/Pemberton reference)

thinking 10 days to hit Nelson, Revelstoke & Kelowna. Probably ride 4 days or so and spend the rest with family.
    That would be an awesome vacation! If you can pull it off, would love to hear about your trip.

We have an opportunity to visit Fernie this summer.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    i would be interested in hearing about the big bike stuff. We take a two week trip every year and have yet to hit the more inland places of BC, but thinking 2013 is the year for it.. Typically, when does snow melt in Nelson to hit up most of the stuff?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Josie7 View Post
    i would be interested in hearing about the big bike stuff. We take a two week trip every year and have yet to hit the more inland places of BC, but thinking 2013 is the year for it.. Typically, when does snow melt in Nelson to hit up most of the stuff?
    We have a lot of snow right now... depending on the spring the lower alpine stuff usually is open by mid to late April... higher alpine like 7 Summits in Rossland may not open until mid July... It really depends on the year.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    good idea.thinking 10 days to hit Nelson, Revelstoke & Kelowna. Probably ride 4 days or so and spend the rest

mtbr member
    Nelson is pretty burly, I often see non-Kootenay riders/tourists walking their bikes...I'd go with at least a 6" bike or your Prime with flat pedals and body armor, you shouldn't ride the trails solo either. Most of the locals are on full on DH/old school freeride bikes.If you do end up in Nelson ride Powerslave though, it's a great trail and worth riding more than once.
    Not a great 'family' location if you are looking for rides that everyone would enjoy. Personally I'd recommend Rossland for all-mountain/trail riding (it's pretty close to Nelson) and the trails are very well marked.
    If you get near Fernie drop me a line, we've got some fun trails too (not as DH oriented, but still a challenge).

Off the back...
    Rode Nelson, Revy, Silver Star, Penticton with the wife this past summer on a 2-week trip. Powerslave, Mr. Slave, HiBaller, LoBaller, etc. in Nelson can all be done on a 6" travel bike, XC lid and lycra [ask my wife], although you'll want to keep the speeds lower. It is possible to hit all of those by riding from town, but it is a looooong climb. There's lots of other DH/FR trail in the area, definitely grab a map and some advice from the LBS.

Love riding Fernie! There is literally everything from steep, rutted-out sketch to really mellow flowy trails. Revy is really fun too, although their season can be kinda short depending on snow in the alpine.