Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    See You At Santos!
    Feb 2011

Need tire suggestions for Snowshoe trip, any suggestions?

A friend and myself will be heading up for a 3 day weekend of riding at snowshoe in a couple weeks, it will be both of our first times riding any true downhill. I currently run 26x2.0 Specialized Captains up front and 26x2.0 Kenda Karma in the rear which is fine for my local riding. However, I am under the impression, I should probabaly beef it up a little for the trip. I will be riding a 2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR(yes I know its not a true DH/FR bike, but I most likely wont be riding anything out of my comfort zone that would beat it up too bad.)

Any suggestions on tire brand/model and size suggestions front and rear? ANY help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

FWIW, I have Stans Flow wheels. Do you guys run tubeless on DH/FR?

UPDATE:
    Our first run on the last day from my buddies GoPro, Im up front. He was taking it a bit easy as he had developed blisters on BOTH hands, so he was in a little pain trying to hold on for dear life!

Snowshoe Mountain Biking, West Virginia - Western Territory

READY TO RIDE! Thanks for all the help guys!

2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro

Current Setup:
    Maxxis Minion DHF/DHR Super Tacky 2.5
    1x9 32T Chainring w/ MRP Mini Lopes Chainguide
    Stans ZTR Flow Wheels w/ Chris King Hubs
    2011 Fox 32 Talas 140 FIT RLC 15QR(new kashima coating and 110/140mm setting) / New Revised Fox Brain
    Shimano SLX Shifter / XT Rear Derailer
    Juicy Ultimate 7 Disc Brakes
    Last edited by TheTwanksta; 09-29-2011 at 07:05 AM.

mtbr member
    Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5's are good. If you want to beef it up a bit then a 2.7 up front will do. I ran a 2.7 minion up front and a 2.7 highroller in the rear with good results (both 60A compound) but recently hot a deal on some sticky rubber 2.7 Intense tires and am liking them so far for the little bit of time I've had on them. Watch putting a foot down at the wrong time though, broke my ankle there two weeks ago on a simple drop off some rocks, put a foot down cause I was too crooked and landed on it first. Gonna miss the rest of the season now. :-( The 10 Gallon>Judi Chop>Ninja Bob>Missing Link (or Ball 'N Jack)> Powerline is a great run on the western territory that isn't too crazy, also Chainsmoke is relatively tame. The Basin Side is shorter runs with lower speeds but some runs (A, C come to mind) are pretty flippin' steep in spots.

See You At Santos!
    Feb 2011
    Awesome, thanks! Man, Im used to running 2.0-2.2, 2.7 sounds crazy! How will I know if it will fit without rubbing or anything? I have a Fox Talas 140mm fork too, if that matters. Sorry Im new to tires, especially DH specific.

mtbr member
    Well maxxis 2.7's are smaller than you'd think. From my memory the widest part was less than 2.5", mainly the 2.7's are taller. I think the wheel arch clearance is pretty similar on most forks (guessing here) so it shouldnt be an issue. The 2.5's didn't exceed 2.3 at the widest point and worked for me during my first season at The Shoe.
    Last edited by Johnny No.5; 09-04-2011 at 08:02 PM.

maker of trail
    yeah minion super tacky 2.5 would be the best go to tire, DHF for the front, then either DHR, another DHF or a highroller on the rear, the DHF/DHR combo is a good balance.

The maxis 2.5's run small, they are more like 2.35's or something, so they should fit your bike fine!

See You At Santos!
    Feb 2011
    So, looks like Maxxis Minions DHF/DHR Super Tacky is the "go-to" tire choice. Should I go 2.5 front and rear or go beefier up front?

mtbr member
    2.5's will work, a beefier front tire is nice to help absorb the rocks and roots a bit since you don't have a plush, long travel shock to help as much with that. Super tacky's are good, if you find a good price snatch them up, 3C's will work well too. Not sure that you'd be riding to the point that you'd need ST over 3C but it couldn't hurt.

See You At Santos!
    Feb 2011
    Im just wondering since Im used to the captains at a 2.0, if I threw a Maxxis 2.7 on there if it would throw off the feel of the bike too much for me to handle the transition. Ill probably stick with a 2.5 front and rear unless more people say go for the 2.7. Ill check out the 3C's as you mentioned as well, thanks again!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I think your biggest adjustment will be learning to trust the tire. The DHF works great and gives plenty of warning before letting go.

banned
    Minions work great for the rocks there,

mtbr member
    ^agreed, trusting the tire to hold will be your only issue and it will hold more than you'd think. I remember being hesitant to rail into a turn but the first time I did I was blown away by how much traction I had and how far I could lean into a turn. 2.7's aren't going to change the game, being your first time really DH riding you won't be "out riding" the 2.5's.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    And for reference my 2.7's measure 66mm or 2.6 inch and the 2.5 measures 60mm or 2.36. Height wise there is only a few mm difference.

mtbr member
    My suggestion would be to:
    Rent a Bike from the shop if you want to be able to take advantage of all the park has to offer, it will have the correct tires on it already, as well as you won't be beating your Stumpy up when you get into some Gnarl you weren't expecting, if you haven't ridden DH and Snowshoe is TRUE DH (ROOTS, ROCKS, DROPS, LOOSE CHUNK GRAVEL) in MOST Spots you will be much happier for having rented a Specialized Demo from them or even a Kona Operator, that way you can really take advantage of your trip and not be worrying about your Daily Steed taking a Beating.

As for your original question, if I were in your shoes I would put a set of Schwalbe Muddy Marys 2.35 (which measures more like 2.55) on those Flow's and run them tubeless! Took a new DH rider with us this weekend (he was on a Kona Coil Air AM bike he rides everyday) and he PINCH Flatted 4 TIMES, 2 on Graveled Fire Roads, and he also posted a 5:30 time in the race on Sunday for Intro which beat the Weekend Warrior Class, and would have gotten him 3rd or 4th in AMATEUR, HE IS FAST coming from purely XC, KID CAN RIDE!

I ran UST Marys and Didn't flat once, but I am much slower than him! It was pissing last night when I left and it is supposed to piss all week and that mountain like most can get wet at any moment in September, the Maxxis are tried and true as mentioned above but consider at dealer cost Schwalbe's and Maxxis are $45 or so each so for two tires you can rent a bike basically, and they will fix your flats!

Enjoy and be sure to update us on how it goes and when you'll be heading back ;-)

Hito

See You At Santos!
    Feb 2011
    Looks like Ill be ordering a set of Minion DHF 2.5 Super Tacky/Minion DHR 2.5 Super Tacky. Thanks for all the help guys, Im sure this tire set up will be more than enough than I will be able to handle on my first DH session.

Anyone have tire pressure recommendations? I tend to ride on the more aggressive side, I weight about 165lbs. I ride around 30-35psi locally.

mtbr member
    Sorry, can't be of assistance there, I go by feel. Start at 35 and go from there, lowering until you feel comfy and you're not washing out in turns.. If you pinchflat they have thick DH tubes for $12-13, I haven't pinched since I switched to thicker tubes, granted I've also gotten better at picking lines and not just plowing into rocks all willy-nilly.

maker of trail
    Good choice!

re pressures.

I'm about 190lbs, in dry i run 25 front, 28ish back, if dry, fast and rocky, I'd up that a few PSI, or if I feel the rim hitting.

In the wet, depending on traction vs flat resistance compromise, somewhere between 18-22psi front, 25 ish in the back...

I find they get a little skittish feeling if I have them over 30psi...

See You At Santos!
    Feb 2011
    Thanks for the tips, Ill start around 30psi and see how they feel. Should I run them tubeless, or do you guys run tubes for DH?

mtbr member
    Your call really. Lots of guys run TBL for DH, if I was flatting more I'd consider it myself but being a lighter rider I guess is more forgiving on my tubes. You definitely can't go wrong with a TBL setup, still good to have a tube just in case though, it can be a long walk down.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Instead of spending $120 on tyres, spend the same amount on renting a DH bike and your lift ticket.
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

mtbr member
    Good point. Decisions decisions.

I bike long tyme.
    I've been rolling 2.5 Minions at Snowshoe for years. I'm not alone either. A large percentage of the bikes on the lifts are rolling on the same.
    People wait for me on the way up. I wait for them on the way down.

See You At Santos!
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 6thElement View Post
    Instead of spending $120 on tyres, spend the same amount on renting a DH bike and your lift ticket.
    Im going to ride 3 days, from what I can find on the snowshoe site, a bike rental is $89 for FR and $149 for DH bike per day(looks like they come with armor though, not sure what a bike rental would be if I brought my own armor). Please inform me otherwise if this is not the case, but otherwise I cant afford to rent a bike for all three days.

$120 for DH specific tires for my own bike.
    $267 for FR rental with armor.
    $447 for DH rental with armor.

Trust me, I would love to ride a full on DH rig, its just not in the cards this time around. I just placed an order for a 661 Full Face and Pro Knee/shin guards because the rental rates for the three days would cost the same or more and I dont get to take it home at the end of the day.

See You At Santos!
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Secace View Post
    I've been rolling 2.5 Minions at Snowshoe for years. I'm not alone either. A large percentage of the bikes on the lifts are rolling on the same.
    Good to hear, I cant wait to get up there! We will be up there from the 23-25 this month.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    lifts arent running on the western slope anymore. you can ride the shuttle, but its slow and I think only once every 30 min.
    so chances are you will ride the basin side most of the day. which kind of sucks, especially for your first real DH experience.
    C to Lucid to Raging bull is probably the best route to ride on basin side, and you probably want to cut out C if youre a beginner.

honestly unless you really dont mind waiting for the shuttle id probably ride timberline just up the road and wait for the snowshoe west side lifts to open next may.

for tires, buy the $18 Maxxis Ardent dual ply DH tires at jenson. Minions are great tires, but no reason to drop $$$ on them as a beginner, especially when Ardents are almost as good.
    when its wet and soggy, swampthings work great there
    The mountains are calling and I must go

See You At Santos!
    Feb 2011
    What is timberline? Is it a public trail or another park system?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast